Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18714
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm

I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
snorri
Ogre
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 pm
Gender: male

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by snorri » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
Dark Dungeons.

Then TSR released a clone called Rules Cyclopedia.

Oh wait, I posted in the wrong alternate timeline.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
The Dark Eye early editions maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18714
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:21 pm

snorri wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
Dark Dungeons.

Then TSR released a clone called Rules Cyclopedia.

Oh wait, I posted in the wrong alternate timeline.
Heh, this one definitely predated Dark Dungeons. It was a soft cover book. Maybe 150 pages?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18714
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
The Dark Eye early editions maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
That did cross my mind, but I think this RPG was only translated into English recently? The edition we played was definitely in English.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
The Dark Eye early editions maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
That did cross my mind, but I think this RPG was only translated into English recently? The edition we played was definitely in English.

-Havard
Correct. It was translated to French in the late 80s. Called l'Oeil Noir. I didn't play it. It was more expensive than the D&D basic box. We learned english instead spending more money !!! ;)

The Dark
Troll
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by The Dark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 pm
I played it once in the late 90s. I think the GM got it from the half price bin at the RPG store.
It was a fantasy RPG.
It looked fairly cheaply produced. Professionally bound etc, but fairly cheap cover and interior art.
I think it had "Dark" in the title.

Any suggestions to what it might have been?

-Havard
The Dark Eye early editions maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
That did cross my mind, but I think this RPG was only translated into English recently? The edition we played was definitely in English.

-Havard
Yes, 2003 was the first English edition of The Dark Eye.

For the late 90s, it could be Dark Realms (1997, Guild of Blades), Darksword Adventures (1988, Bantam/Spectra), DarkUrthe Legends (1993, Black Dragon Press), or Darkus Thel (1986, Sorcerers Guild). I somewhat doubt it was Darksword, since that was from a major publisher and you stated the production looked fairly cheap, but the other three seem plausible.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18714
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Anyone Know What RPG This Was?

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 pm

The Dark wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 pm
Yes, 2003 was the first English edition of The Dark Eye.

For the late 90s, it could be Dark Realms (1997, Guild of Blades), Darksword Adventures (1988, Bantam/Spectra), DarkUrthe Legends (1993, Black Dragon Press), or Darkus Thel (1986, Sorcerers Guild). I somewhat doubt it was Darksword, since that was from a major publisher and you stated the production looked fairly cheap, but the other three seem plausible.

Nice list! I think it *might* have been DarkUrthe Legends. That cover looks extremely familiar.

Image

Thanks! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”