Which Horror / Supernatural RPG have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which Horror RPG have you played?

- Call of Cthuluh
38%
- White Wolf games
31%
- In Nomine
6%
- Witchcraft
6%
- Buffy the vampire slayer
3%
- Dark Conspiracy
3%
- Deadlands
8%
- Dread (2005 by The Impossible Dream)
2%
- Sorcerer
2%
- Nightbane
2%

Total votes: 64

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Which Horror / Supernatural RPG have you played?

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:32 am

Which Horror RPG have you played? This includes supernatural games, urban horror, zombie apocalypse, alternate history horror, etc.

The poll is limited to 10 options. If a game is not in the list please feel free to mention it below. I did not put generic systems like GURPS, Hero System or Savage Worlds in the list on purpose.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Which Horror RPG have you played?

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:36 am

Played :
- Call of Cthuluh 1e (two games) and the beautiful French 7th edition (10 games).
- Vampire (one game)
- d20 Dark Matter (its more conspiracy but we played it «scientific experiment gone wrong horror» style)

Didn't play many horror games. I would have played more if I met the right group to play Werewolf and Vampire.

Dalillama
Gnoll

Post by Dalillama » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 am

Used to own Nightbane, never played. Also Beyond the Supernatural. I dunno if I'd call In Nomine horror, really, not the way most folks seem to play it. (Granted, some pretty horrific scenarios came up in the longest running game I was in, but mostly it was more drama/melodrama, ranging to sitcom). Played all the OWoD gamrs through Wraith, was one of the first wave of Vampire LARPers. Also ran a Western Horror game in GURPS for a while.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 am

Vampire the Masquerade and Vampire the Requiem, liked the first one much more. Mage the Awakening, but I would have preferred the Ascension. I did not had the chance to play the other WW games I'd have gladly played, particularly Werewolf, Changeling and Wraith.
Played In Nomine only once, for us too was more a Dogma (the movie) like thing than classic horror, which kinda comes with the system and setting.
Also played recently Night's Black Agents rpg which is a very interesting game.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 am

I play a lot of Call of Cthulhu (and scenarios from Trail of Cthulhu converted to Call) and Witchcraft (and the closely related Conspiracy X).
I also played a single Vampire the Masquerade adventure, a few Deadlands scenarios, and several adventures from Dark*Matter (the latter converted to Conspiracy X).
Among those not listed, Night's Black Agents (albeit mostly converted to WitchCraft/Conspiracy X, except for a play-by-mail game).

GP

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:01 am

A fair amount of Call of Cthulhu and 1e White Wolf mostly Wraith which is an unrecognised innovator in RPG. Played the first Ravenloft module (1e? 2e? I forget). Have but not played After the Vampire Wars (AVW). In AVW I think I have finally found the Urban fantasy/horror game for me.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am

I haven't played many Horror RPGs, but since you include supernatural RPGs, the list is a bit longer:

Call of Cthulhu (played)
All Flesh Must Be Eaten (played)
WitchCraft (played)
In Nomine (GMed and played)
Ghosts of Albion (played)
Unknown Armies (played)
Vampire The Masquerade (played)
Vampire Dark Ages (played)
Werewolf the Apocalypse (played)
New World of Darkness (played)
Eldritch Skies (played)
Nephilim (played)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Which Horror / Supernatural RPG have you played?

Post by RobJN » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 am

Played some CoC back with the high school group -- the Orient Express adventure/campaign.

We'd rolled up some characters for Dark Conspiracy, but it got edged out for actual play by Cyberpunk 2020. Similarly, Twilight 2000.

Somewhat more recently, I home-brewed an Alternity Dark•Matter version of Resident Evil for the stepson, back in the day, mashing up bits of 0, 2, & 3.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Dalillama
Gnoll

Post by Dalillama » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Oh, hey, Feng Shui might go here, unless you're planning to do Action rpgs later

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Once again, no actual play experience with Witchcraft, but my mom owns the book, and it's obscure enough that I figured I should represent it. Also, there's a very old game called Chill that I looked over, trying to figure out how it's played and maybe actually try it...it was so bad that I couldn't complete this evaluation. Still, it's another game that can be named in this category.

PS, if you want to try out the World of Darkness games as a PBP, let's talk.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Call of Cthulhu
The Laundry Files
Vampire: The Masquerade
Lost Souls

Not so many for me. Note the game Lost Souls that I mentioned before is not really a horror game despite all characters being dead and some form of ghost or spirit!

Edit: On the other hand it is a supernatural game so added it.
Last edited by Khedrac on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Vampire and Call of Chtulhu BRP. I also played Chtulhu with an Homebrew system, and some diceless horror.

My last SotdL campaign started as horror-themed, but I had to tone it down as a player asked so. It turned to dark faery and was really nice.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Played Call of Cthulhu (5th edition) quite extensively with friends in high school.

I played in a World of Darkness based MUSH for a brief time back in college. Does that count?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 pm

snorri wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:17 pm
My last SotdL campaign started as horror-themed, but I had to tone it down as a player asked so. It turned to dark faery and was really nice.
I'd be really interested in seeing a "dark fairy" game. One of my former White Wolf associates was a Christian who believed that literal demons really exist, so when we decided to play in a Vampire game called the Transylvania Chronicles, she requested that our Storyteller change the storyline so that the demon Kupala, who is responsible for much of the action of that game, be changed to a Fae being instead of a demon. As long as the creature was some sort of physical monster, she was comfortable fighting it, but she didn't want "evil spirits" to be a thing in the game world, because she actually believed in such things.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:17 am

Hmm. Puppetland probably counts as horror what with all the masks and glove puppets made from human skin.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:44 pm

willpell wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 pm
snorri wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:17 pm
I'd be really interested in seeing a "dark fairy" game. One of my former White Wolf associates was a Christian who believed that literal demons really exist, so when we decided to play in a Vampire game called the Transylvania Chronicles, she requested that our Storyteller change the storyline so that the demon Kupala, who is responsible for much of the action of that game, be changed to a Fae being instead of a demon. As long as the creature was some sort of physical monster, she was comfortable fighting it, but she didn't want "evil spirits" to be a thing in the game world, because she actually believed in such things.
I kept my campaign line (a serpent God is coming back, disturbing the whole reality), but adventurers travelled in a faery forest to seek help. They met a cute satyr kid, a bit kenderish but sooo sweet, who became their travel mate. They met korrigans, Leprechauns, centaurs. They had to find an Elf lord to get the right to visit the elves city and it's weird libraries. They met a goblin judge and his tribe who wanted to put them on trial (because the satyr stole them cheese in their cave). They negotiated with a werewolf to convince him he should help to fight a bigger evil than him. And so on...

All that material is now included in my published world.

Kythkyn
Bugbear

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Fear Itself is pretty good, as well
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am

I've played in one Call of Cthulhu game, set in Victorian Britain.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 pm

I realize you might not be able to fix it now, but "Cthulhu" is misspelled in the poll (it's -hu, not -uh).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

This might shock people who know me, but while I've played and run CoC converted to other systems, including a few LARPs, I've only ever played/run BRP CoC once, when I ran my college roommate through one of the short intro adventures in the rulebook.

The horror systems I've played the most are Buffy/Angel (I played in a multiyear campaign that continued for a couple more years as PBP; we borrowed bits and pieces from other Unisystem games) and GURPS (i ran a couple CoC games using the rules in GURPS CthulhuPunk, minus the future tech).

I've also played in a couple short-lived WoD games, but don't really enjoy the setting or system. I've played in one Deadlands LARP, and played Little Fears and Unknown Armies once each. I think that's everything I've done in this genre.

ETA: Also played in s short-lived Supernatural campaign.
Last edited by timemrick on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

Horror games I've played:
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Vampire: The Masquerade
  • Beyond the Supernatural
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm

timemrick wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 pm
I realize you might not be able to fix it now, but "Cthulhu" is misspelled in the poll (it's -hu, not -uh).
Editing a poll zaps the results, unfortunately.

I used to struggle with the spelling of Cthulhu too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 am

D20 Modern (Shadow Chasers), Call of Cthulhu & White Wolf. And not on the list, one game of Chill which was in the early 90s so I remember nothing about the experience or the system (I have a lot of gaps in my memory, but I do well with remembering broad things such as systems played).

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 am

If you like the Victorian Era and urban fantasy type supernatural bit NOT steampunk you could try Ghosts of Albion or For Faerie Queen & Country.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 am
If you like the Victorian Era and urban fantasy type supernatural bit NOT steampunk you could try Ghosts of Albion or For Faerie Queen & Country.
Hmmm....a combination of those two could be real interesting!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”