[minis] WizKids D&D Icons of the Realms: the Falling Star Sailing Ship

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[minis] WizKids D&D Icons of the Realms: the Falling Star Sailing Ship

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

WizKids D&D Icons of the Realms: the Falling Star Sailing Ship

https://www.amazon.com/WizKids-Icons-Re ... 07G4HSG36/

A colossal sailing ship for use with miniatures in your D&D Game. Sounds like something all D&D groups must own? :P

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [minis] WizKids D&D Icons of the Realms: the Falling Star Sailing Ship

Post by night_druid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am

At $250, I doubt its a "must own" for most DMs :P

Looks neat, though. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

night_druid wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am
At $250, I doubt its a "must own" for most DMs :P

Looks neat, though. :)
Yeah, it is pretty pricey. And you need two if you're gonna have some boarding action! :ugeek:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 pm

If you want a less pricey ship, maybe this video can be some inspiration of how to make your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbnFBArecT8

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am
WizKids D&D Icons of the Realms: the Falling Star Sailing Ship
It's called "Icons of the Realms", but I don't think I've ever heard of the Falling Star before. And I can't find an article for it on Forgotten Realms Wiki. :?

I found the Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship page on the WizKidz website:
Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship at the WizKidz website wrote:Coming Soon!
Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship

This fantastic fully-painted miniature of colossal stature and tremendous detail stands a whopping 17.2″ tall, 33″ long, and 6.4″ wide (12.6″ wide at the masts!)* and has a myriad of features!

Additionally, the deck tiles are reversible, with or without grid lines, to allow for whichever way you play or wish to display this premium show piece.

This feature rich ships includes multiple stackable deck tiles allowing players to fight on the deck or in the dark underbelly of the ship, magnetized removable masts, removable stair cases, and even functional hatches on the sides of the ships for you to fire upon your enemies!*

Perfect for aquatic adventures, one shot side quests, or even taking on the godlike kraken, the Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship is sure to bring marvelous excitement to your tabletop!

*Dimensions and features not final and subject to change.

MSRP: $249.99
SKU: 73571
There are a bunch of pictures over there too.

ICv2 have an article, called 'MAGIC: THE GATHERING' MINIS, MASSIVE 'D&D' SHIP, BLACK DRAGON TROPHY (presumably written by Brian Blessed) which has a couple of unpainted pictures of the prototype of this ship. They did also get some information from James O’Brien from WizKidz:
ICv2 wrote:“The decks of the ship are going to be removable. You can have things going on below decks, whether it's stored treasure, surprise encounters, or if it's even just a place that people end up moving to, to have some combat interactions.”

“One side of the decks are going to have a grid for combat, and the other side of the deck is going to be plain,” he continued. “Whether people are doing gridded games of Dungeons & Dragons, or theater of mind, it's going to be the right layout for them.” The design is not final. WizKids did hint that an unpainted version of the boat may be available after the painted version is released.
The fact that this ship doesn't just look good, but can also be taken apart for miniatures combat adds value over something that looks awesome, but that you can't actually open (like Lazerrus Laslonin's amazing Spelljammer Nautiloid).

However, the fact that the Falling Star seems to be a generic seafaring ship (and not actually "iconic") means I'd be more likely to look at other - cheaper - alternatives.

I did also discover a page for The Falling Star on MikeSchley's deviantArt account. It looks like he created the art for this ship back in 2012. So this must be something featured in one of the early 5th Edition products.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 am

Hrmm. These won't sell like hot-cakes at $250. That means my store will get several of these in, they'll sit on the shelf forever, and the store owner will refuse to get any other D&D minis in until these are all gone. :roll:

Besides, I have a Milton Bradley game called "Broadsides & Boarding Parties" that I've never played, but could use the ships for boarding actions on the D&D high seas. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 am
Hrmm. These won't sell like hot-cakes at $250. That means my store will get several of these in, they'll sit on the shelf forever, and the store owner will refuse to get any other D&D minis in until these are all gone. :roll:
Seems to me this type of products are mainly made for the high end collectors.
Besides, I have a Milton Bradley game called "Broadsides & Boarding Parties" that I've never played, but could use the ships for boarding actions on the D&D high seas. :cool:
Is that game to scale for 28mm minis? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 am
Seems to me this type of products are mainly made for the high end collectors.
Is that game to scale for 28mm minis? :)

-Havard
10 to 15mm. :lol: Lilliputian ships.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “The Wishing Well”