On Sorcerers and Spelljamming

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Dalillama
Gnoll

On Sorcerers and Spelljamming

Post by Dalillama » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

It occurs to me that sorcerers aren't wizards. By 2e standards, they're not even casters. They have magical powers that manifest due to their parentage: in other words, innate spell-like abilities. That's right, sorcerers use Series Helms, tuned to whatever magical species gave them their heritage.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: On Sorcerers and Spelljamming

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 am

Magic is often either completely learnable or an innate talent that not everyone has, but this is based on the campaign setting design, not the rules (3e doesn't explicitly say sorcerers have it due to their bloodline, at least not as far as I know). Since they would still be wizards in AD&D (either being a custom class or following the Channeler rules in Spells & Magic), they would still use standard helms, IMO.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:56 am

Dalillama wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am
It occurs to me that sorcerers aren't wizards. By 2e standards, they're not even casters. They have magical powers that manifest due to their parentage: in other words, innate spell-like abilities. That's right, sorcerers use Series Helms, tuned to whatever magical species gave them their heritage.
I can see how you can make the argument that Sorcerers have spell-like abilities, rather than true spellcasting, but statistically, it's not the same thing as an SLA.

An SLA gives a character or monster a specific power (sometimes at a higher effective caster level than 1st level) that never changes. A sorcerer starts with a small number of spell-slots and gains more as they level up.

And the blurb for the sorcerer (at least in the 3e book and the 3.5 SRD) does state that they cast spells. That makes them a spellcaster, in my books.

If Wizards of the Coast wanted to say that they had innate magical abilities that worked similar to spellcasting, they could have said that...but they didn't.

Sorcerers have less spells than Wizards, but I would still base their spelljamming ability on their spellcasting level.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:11 am

What about Favored Souls? :-D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:11 am
What about Favored Souls? :-D
What is a Favoured Soul? :?

(And how does it work...magically speaking.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm

A favoured soul is supposed to be a divine verson of a sorceror - i.e. it is to a cleric what a sorceror is to a wizard. it was introduced in the 3.5 expansion book Complete Divine. It is also generally regarded as fairly useless (and having played one I tent to agree) - it is comfortably the weakest of the 3.5 full casters.

Personally I would treat the 3.5 spontaneous casters like full casters for spelljamming helms.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 am

If a class has a list of spells and a spells per day progression, it's a spell caster like a wizard or a cleric. The class descriptions will tell you if it casts at something other than its full class levels.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.

Return to “Spelljammer”