Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

Post by Seethyr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm

In some of the most recent creatures under “M,” I am having difficulties visualizing the creatures. I know I could pick up a copy of the Cyclopedia but even google images are coming up short. Are there physical descriptions or lore based write ups centrally located anywhere else but the book? If not, I’ll probably try to pick up a copy.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am

Seethyr wrote:In some of the most recent creatures under “M,” I am having difficulties visualizing the creatures. I know I could pick up a copy of the Cyclopedia but even google images are coming up short. Are there physical descriptions or lore based write ups centrally located anywhere else but the book? If not, I’ll probably try to pick up a copy.
Neither the Mujina (from the Dungeon Master's Companion) nor the Mek (Master Set DM's booklet) were illustrated in their first "appearances," however, they were illustrated in the 2ed Mystaran Monstrous Compendium appendix.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for answering that one, RobJN. I didn't know where illustrations could be found.

I don't know why but I've been worried about copying text from the RC here. I probably shouldn't be, and just copy over the descriptions at least.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Hugin wrote:Thanks for answering that one, RobJN. I didn't know where illustrations could be found.

I don't know why but I've been worried about copying text from the RC here. I probably shouldn't be, and just copy over the descriptions at least.
I had always assumed that you didn't copy the descriptions in your conversions precisely for that reason.

I have the RC, but I don't have a complete BECMI set, nor the "Mystara" MC mentioned above, so there will be monsters I will not have descriptions of if I rely solely on this thread. Then again, googly & wiki are powerful tools. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

pawsplay
Gnoll

Post by pawsplay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:09 am

As a fellow Mystaran bestiary enthusiast I wanted to turn you onto my own project:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/207804/Ex-Cyclopedia

I will not be offended at all if you use my work for inspiration, for comparison, or if you go in a different direction entirely.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for the info, pawsplay, but this whole project is really about the creation process for me and much less about just getting them done.

It's the journey that I'm enjoying, and the destination simply represents a layover before the next journey. :ugeek:

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:20 pm

NEANDERTHAL (CAVEMAN)
Medium humanoid, any alignment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 12 (hide)
Hit Points 9 (2d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
14 (+2)|10 (+0)|11 (+0)|7 (-2)|11 (+0)|9 (-1)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages Neanderthal
Challenge ¼ (50 XP)
ACTIONS
Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, or 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am

Would rely like this as a PC race option. However looking at closely it is a bit bland for that. To be fair you did not intend these to be PCs.
Canon PHB races are built with 12pt.
Neanderthal PC race.
Ability score adjustments STR +2 (4), INT -2 (-4), CHA-1 (-2)
Speed 30, Type Humanoid.
Neanderthal weapon training: Proficient in spear (0) and club (0).
Subtotal -2.
Ok need to add some stuff. Based on what I know (mis-remember) about real Neanderthals...
Memory Accurate recall for 1 month (1)
Brave: Advantage on saves against fright (2)
Ice age people: Advantage on saves against cold damage (0.5)
Mammoth hunter: advantage on attacks if opponent is currently two sizes or more larger (2)
Survivors: Survival skill (2)
Tough: +1hp per level (7)
Total 12.5 near enough.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Nice, Coronoides. I haven't experimented with playable races yet, so it's good to see done.

Neanderthals are bland indeed, and I just converted from what was in the RC. I did compare them to the Tribal Warrior (if I recall the name correctly) in the NPC section of the 5E MM. They were pretty bland as well, although they might have had pack tactics as well, but I don't remember for sure at the moment. [edit: the name is correct and they do indeed have the Pack Tactics feature.]

I thought about adding in some creative elements but again, taking the example of the Tribal Warrior, decided to go the simplistic route. Now that I think of it, I'd get more creative with some leaders or hardened warriors. But on the other hand, they are described as being relatively non-aggressive.
Last edited by Hugin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Coronoides wrote:Would rely like this as a PC race option. However looking at closely it is a bit bland for that. To be fair you did not intend these to be PCs.
Canon PHB races are built with 12pt.
Neanderthal PC race.
Ability score adjustments STR +2 (4), INT -2 (-4), CHA-1 (-2)
Speed 30, Type Humanoid.
Neanderthal weapon training: Proficient in spear (0) and club (0).
Subtotal -2.
Ok need to add some stuff. Based on what I know (mis-remember) about real Neanderthals...
Memory Accurate recall for 1 month (1)
Brave: Advantage on saves against fright (2)
Ice age people: Advantage on saves against cold damage (0.5)
Mammoth hunter: advantage on attacks if opponent is currently two sizes or more larger (2)
Survivors: Survival skill (2)
Tough: +1hp per level (7)
Total 12.5 near enough.
Nice conversions!

I find some of your ideas for ablities very interesting!

If we want to consult other BECMI sources, the Hollow World Boxed set includes rules for PC "Brute Men", which are probably based on these Neanderthals.

That set gives them a bonus to Con (+1) and a penalty to Int (-1). They also get superior hearing, can never be ambushed, and can detect hidden doors if concealed to look natural. I kinda like your take better than I would a more direct conversion.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:46 am

NEKROZON (CATOBLEPAS)
Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armour Class 12 (natural armour)
Hit Points 102 (12d10 + 36)
Speed 20 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
16 (+3)|9 (-1)|17 (+3)|2 (-4)|12 (+1)|5 (-3)

Damage Resistances force, poison
Damage Immunities necrotic
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages -----
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nekrozon makes one tail attack and uses Death Gaze if available.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft.,
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Medium sized creature or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be knocked prone. If the saving throw failed by 5 or more, the target is also stunned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the stun effect on itself on a success.

Death Gaze (Recharge 5-6). The gaze of the nekrozon is a magical gaze of death. The nekrozon forces one creature it can see within 60 feet of it to make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or take 26 (4d12) necrotic damage. The nekrozon never looks directly above itself.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:43 am

The dreaded Nekrozon is so much more awesome than the Catoblepas in other editions. Its good to see it converted.

Though I do recall a time when the Death Gaze of the Nekrozon provided no save at all... :twisted:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Havard wrote:Image

The dreaded Nekrozon is so much more awesome than the Catoblepas in other editions. Its good to see it converted.

Though I do recall a time when the Death Gaze of the Nekrozon provided no save at all... :twisted:

-Havard
Is there a difference between the two creatures in prior editions? The 5e catoblepas looks quite a bit different and I was thinking of using these stats for a tapir-like version.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Havard wrote:Image

-Havard
Is there a difference between the two creatures in prior editions? The 5e catoblepas looks quite a bit different and I was thinking of using these stats for a tapir-like version.
They are actually pretty similar rules-wise. BECMI's version are called Nekrozon, but the name Catoblepas is mentioned in the description as not currently in use. BECMI's version has 7HD, while the AD&D 2nd Ed version has 6HD. The BECMI description states that the creature has a long neck, but the accompanying Jeff Easley illustration (which I provided above) seems to have ignored that. My personal visualization of the monster has always been influenced by Easley's take.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey, how is it going?

I love this thread.
So I know it is about RC monsters, but could I get an add to the list?
I did a quick conversion from BECMI to 5e for the Aranea?
I do not believe my conversion skills are quite at Hugin level.

Found in X1 and i believe later in AC 9 (pg 60).
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 am

Hey BotWizo.

I finally made it back to The Piazza to catch up on some reading. While we've emailed a few times I bet others were wondering what happened to me.

Well, as you know, things got crazy busy as we moved our office into our brand new permanent building... smack-dab in the middle of one of our busiest times of the year. Go figure.

Anyway, I'll be returning to this project soon(ish). I've been working on the Nightshades in spare moments and they're pretty involved.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I've done that as well, makes life interesting.
Its great to talk to you, I hope we see you back here soon.

I tried my hand at the aranea, and i think i emailed to you to see if we would match.
If we are close, I could post other BECMI monsters that I am/have converted.

Incidentaly those of you having to convert on the fly, the following rule works surprisingly well in a pinch. I found these online, I think from WotC.

For first and second edition (as well as BECMI), you can use the shorthand monster statistics in the adventure. In these adventures, monsters are often more numerous, but they typically deal lower damage and have fewer hit points than their fifth edition counterparts. Make the following changes to those first- and second-edition monsters:
to generate 5e stats; (take the listed BECMI/1e stat and do below)

5E AC = 19 minus creatures AC [up to AC 22]
5E Atk roll Mod = (HD/2) +2 [up to 12]
5E Save DCs = 8 + (HD/2) [up to 20]

• If a creature has to make a check or saving throw, and should be good at the roll, use the creature’s (HD/2) + 2 as a bonus on the roll. Otherwise, use no modifier, or use a penalty to reflect something the creature should be bad at.

What I have had to do is make up some of the more special attacks for monsters, hitpoints vary vs 5e sometimes higher sometimes lower, I have gotten better at changing those as well to better reflect the challenge that should be presented.

Worked well on wandering monsters and those not listed in this thread so far.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm

I will be back, BotWizo. Well, I never really left - it was just an extended nap in the corner. ;)

Our office move is done, we're catching up on work, and I'm itching to get back to some converting!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 am

My OP's linked index is all broken. ;(

Looks like the table code is not working. I'll figure out something eventually after tax-season, our crazy-busy time of the year, is over.

Any ideas are also welcome.

Hugin (not-gone/not-done)

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:55 am

So the last topic reply notification for this thread came in my email on or around January, and I thought I missed the last one which means no more notifications, and I lost all track of this thread for 8 months and didn't see it pop back up to the top of the threads. (and no bumps either...)

Sorry to hear you haven't got back in the saddle for this awesome project, Hugin. Hope everything is well.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:55 am
Sorry to hear you haven't got back in the saddle for this awesome project, Hugin. Hope everything is well.
Thanks for popping in to see where things are at.

Everything is well on the personal side of things, however the breaking of the table coding on the forum broke my spirits somewhat. They're working on a fix, though.

I think I was a bit burnt out, time was getting scarcer, and the tables breaking was the proverbial straw.

Over the summer I have been working on my campaign world from scratch and that has occupied most all of my D&D time (other than playing a bit).

However, I will come back to this again at some point. And I think your post has re-kindled a spark of desire to return to this.

Thanks!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am
Neither the Mujina (from the Dungeon Master's Companion) nor the Mek (Master Set DM's booklet) were illustrated in their first "appearances," however, they were illustrated in the 2ed Mystaran Monstrous Compendium appendix.
FYI, the Mujina first appeared in module X5: Temple of Death, and there is an amazing illustration of one there (by Tim Truman).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm glad to hear that Hugin. I've been off-n-on the internet for so long, I lose track of things - and the Piazza forums was one of those sites that I lost temporarily last spring. I hadn't realized the switch that was at the heart of the table functions not working any longer - until you mentioned it. That is a big obstacle to continuing your project, & I hope there is a work-around coming soon.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm
RobJN wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am
FYI, the Mujina first appeared in module X5: Temple of Death, and there is an amazing illustration of one there (by Tim Truman).
:facepalm: I completely forgot about the gorgeous art in the module.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm
A truely faceless enemy! And I certainly agree - that is a great illustration.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”