[5E] Oriental Adventures - What Official 5E Rules are available?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Oriental Adventures - What Official 5E Rules are available?

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm

What Rules are already available in WotC publications (including UA articles) that would be useful for running some Oriental Adventures style campaign with D&D 5E?

Classes:
  • Fighter - Samurai (UA)
  • Monk- Way of the Kensei (UA)
  • Mystic (UA)
(See links to the UA classes here)

Races
  • Kenku (Volo's Guide to Monsters)
What else is available out there? :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [5E] Oriental Adventures - What Official 5E Rules are available?

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:56 pm

You've covered everything I can think of.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Kansai and Samurai made it into Xananthars. Some classic oriental monsters made it into the MM including Dragon Turtle.
Ironically I can’t easily check for my sources because I’m in Japan for work ATM.

At this point if you want to run an oriental campaign then you are going to want to use community materials from here and the DM’s Guild.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:52 am

The Monk Way of Shadows makes a good ninja, while the Monk Way of the Four Elements makes for a good Wu-Jen.

Bushi could be represented by a carefully created fighter or ranger, while the Yakuza could be represented by the the rogue - thief subclass, only adding certain skills and other choices for flavor.

I'm surprised there aren't more backgrounds for Oriental Adventures, and the only one I can think of right now is the Far Traveler background, which could be used by any character, but it is evocative of Oriental Adventures style characters for me.

These are just the first thoughts off the top of my head, but I'll look deeper into this once I get home after work.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Lord Gwydion
Goblin

Post by Lord Gwydion » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 am

Honestly, a lot of the "generic" options are just fine for OA style play. Just looking at the PHB options:

Berserker Barbarian -- works for a Zhang Fei (Three Kingdoms general) style wild and reckless warrior
Totem Warrior Barbarian -- just use more Asian themed animals names instead of the Euro/North American defaults, keep the abilities the same

Valor Bard -- works for a geisha/gisaeng sorceress type
Lore Bard -- wily strategists like Zhuge Liang/Kongming or Sima Yi (again from Three Kingdoms)

Clerics are a bit hard to squeeze in, but a Light or Tempest Cleric could be a Yang-themed magician while a Knowledge or Trickery Cleric could be a Yin magician. War Clerics might be one type of wandering Xia.

Druid -- either type could be an animist shaman: Shinto, Mongolian, etc.

Champion Fighter -- run of the mill samurai or stalwart warriors from other cultures
Battle Master Fighter -- kensei/weapon masters
Eldritch Knight Fighter -- wandering Xia with mystical kung fu

Monk -- the class is already OA themed, any subclass fits

Devotion Paladin -- samurai champions of bushido
Ancients Paladin -- maybe doesn't fit so well
Vengeance Paladin -- a warrior out for revenge against old enemies is a standard plot of many wuxia and manga stories

Hunter Ranger -- also fits really well for a wandering Xia warrior
Beast Master Ranger -- make sure the animal companion is an Asian animal and you're good

Thief Rogue -- a yakuza, ninja, or wandering Xia
Assassin Rogue -- another good choice for a ninja type
Arcane Trickster -- the more mystical ninja, or another wandering Xia type

Draconic Sorcerer -- ancestor is a lung dragon instead of a chromatic/metallic dragon
Wild Magic Sorcerer -- those kooky hermit/immortal magicians with their unreliable magic!

Warlock -- mix and match Patron and Boon to get a Xia warrior type or a crafty Taoist magician type

Wizard -- again any school can work with just a few tweaks to flavor to make a Wu Jen or other OA style magician.

Most of the Backgrounds are generic enough to work as is as well, I'd think.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Lord Gwydion wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 am
Honestly, a lot of the "generic" options are just fine for OA style play. Just looking at the PHB options:
I agree the classes are flexible enough to do the work. Things are more difficult for races. D&D races are so defined they can’t even reflect some other European fantasy settings out there let alone OA. Other than Kenku there aren’t any WOTC oriental races released.

An aside: there is a free Hengeyokai race I co-authored here: http://rpgreview.net/files/rpgreview_39 ... 3222250787
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Obligatory plug for my homebrew Monkey-Folk race, which is designed in part to mimic the Vanaras (referred to here as "Shadow-Kin Simians"; don't ask me how I decided on that name).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Lord Gwydion wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 am
These are great suggestions Lord Gwydon!

Sometimes there's no need to make things more complicated than they have to be. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 pm
Obligatory plug for my homebrew Monkey-Folk race, which is designed in part to mimic the Vanaras (referred to here as "Shadow-Kin Simians"; don't ask me how I decided on that name).
Awesome, I always loved monkey-folk as a PC race :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Lord Gwydion
Goblin

Post by Lord Gwydion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Regarding races, it is a bit trickier.

From 1E we have Hengeyokai, Spirit Folk, and Korobokuru. From 3E OA we add Vanara and Nezumi (although Nezumi are more specific to Rokugan than anything in any Asian mythology or legends I've read).

Korobokuru could be easily adapted as a Dwarf or Halfling subrace, I'd think.

Genasi might work as a stand-in for Spirit Folk. Keep the mechanics, switch out the flavor to make it more like the tropes of Japanese fairy tales (old infertile couple gifted with magical child...Momotaro, Kaguya-hime, Kintaro, Issun-boshi, etc.)

Hengeyokai would probably need a dedicated home brew race like the one linked above. Vanara as well (and ditto on the above link...plus shout to Yazirians! Or whatever they were called in Spelljammer).

If someone wanted to do it themselves instead of using the above linked races, the Eberron Shifter might serve as a good template for work on Hengeyokai, at least for their human/hybrid forms. Nezumi (if you wanted to keep them) could probably be modified from the goblin PC race.

Humans, if I were doing this, would have to be the variant human, with an extra skill and feat but only +1 to two ability scores. That's just my preference, though. No reason why anyone else should feel bound by that. :)

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:34 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm
What Rules are already available in WotC publications (including UA articles) that would be useful for running some Oriental Adventures style campaign with D&D 5E?

What else is available out there? :)

-Havard
Uh, unofficial or 3rd party stuff covers everything in detail

DM Guild really has done a crap-ton of conversion
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?key ... from=&pto=
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?fil ... ental%205e
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?key ... from=&pto=
legendary games has some

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 pm

honeslty, i would just re flavor the existing classes, most don't need that much modification (except the garbage elemental monk, such a poorly designed class) and use Humans, since even in 1E OA, 90% of the players were supposed to be human. Using Gensei as spirit folk isn't a bad idea though, and just use Hill Dwarves for Korubokuro reskinned to be harry all over should work for them if you really wanted to use them.

The biggest issue would be redoing the spell lists, there are a lot of OA spells that are missing, and a lot of normal spells that would need to be removed. Which is all way more work that I would want to do personally.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 am

they did a pretty decent job...so I disagree. Sure, one will carry over some, and discard others.

"Dwarf
Korobokuru
Korobokurus are dwarf-like humanoids that live in barren wilderness areas where they seldom come into contact with humans. They live in simple villages, tending small farms in secluded areas. They typically avoid any contact or involvement in the affairs of the world outside their farms, but occasional individuals, driven by wanderlust or inspired by some contact with human civilization, find their way into human lands.
Important. Korobukuru are a dwarf subrace. Use the statistics found in the Player’s Handbook for their base traits.

A Simplistic Folk
Korobokurus stand about 4 feet tall. Their arms and legs are slightly longer in proportion to their bodies than those of a human. They are leaner than dwarves, averaging 120 to 140 pounds. Most are bowlegged. They have big, bright eyes, usually blue, green, or brown. Their ears are small and somewhat pointed. Most adult males have sparse bears, and even a few women have short whiskers sprouting beneath their chins.

Korobokurus look wild and unkempt. They favor simple clothing, such as cotton shirts and trousers, or a kimono tied at the waist with a rope sash. Their clothing is often loose or oversized, wrinkled but clean. They shun bright colors in favor of earth tones. They avoid gaudy jewelry, but often wear colorful stones on leather straps around their necks and sometimes decorate their hair with flowers.

Distrustful
Most other races find korobokurus primitive and inferior, and rarely embrace them as equals. In return, they become insular and don’t seek interaction with outsiders. Members of other races need to earn their trust. They particularly despise goblinoid creatures, due to an ongoing conflict
with them, and thus initially react to other races with suspicion.

Korobokuru Names
Like other dwarves, korobokurus bear names that are bestowed by the clan elder. Their names are simple and usually denote natural features such as plants, small animals, brooks, or stones.
Male Names: Bun, Bod, Dath, Fek, Mog, Tod, and Vun.
Female Names: Bin, Dim, Fain, Gim, Mem, Mon, Tas, and Wan.
Family Names (Common Translations): Kio-ban, Gia-min, Hua-kag, Juntua, Ten-min, and Yak-rui.

Korobokuru Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength and Wisdom scores both increases by 1.
Languages. Contrary to your dwarven brethren, you cannot write dwarvish. Korobokurus speak a dialect of Dwarven, but they do not have a script. Literate korobokurus (who are rare) use the Common script to read and write.
Naturalist. You have proficiency with the Nature skill.
Pest Hunter. You cannot suffer disadvantage on attack rolls against goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, and bugbears." 5e HOTO pg 23

Or another version (there area few) is better than what I call the lazy **** of 5e design...just use an existing monster/race/class.Yeah, designing monsters/CR sucks balz in 5e, and thus "just reskin X or Y" is the endless refrain. Bah.

And sure, you got the various barbarian paths, for an example, but why not add:
"Barbarian
Barbarians in or from the Orient have the following Primal Path option, in addition to those in the Player’s Handbook.
Path of Brawn
The Wanryuku, as they are called, are feared and ferocious samurai of the Tiger clan, and make up the bulk of the Tiger army. They wield large weapons like the nodachi (similar to a greatsword) or nagamaki (similar to a glaive), and are often careless for their own wellbeing in the heat of battle. Their lives don’t matter - only the honor of the clan and family matters. They follow the code of bushido (see the Samurai archetype for the Kensai class later in this chapter).
Brawn Teachings
At 3rd level, when you adopt this primal path, your rage damage is doubled as long as you wield a two-handed or versatile melee weapon with two hands, and while raging you gain resistance to psychic damage.
Stalwart
Starting at 6th level, your hit point maximum increases by 6, and for every level past 6th it increases by 1.
Bestial
Starting at 10th level, whenever you successfully attack a hostile creature using a two-handed or versatile melee weapon that is held with two hands, you gain 15 feet of movement on that turn.
Additionally, you have advantage on Charisma (intimidation) checks against any creature which has seen you raging.
Tiger’s Roar
During the heat of battle, you let out a loud and ferocious roar, bolstering your own will to continue bringing down destruction upon your foes. Starting at 14th level, whenever you land a critical hit or are critically hit yourself, you gain temporary hit points equal to half your barbarian level (rounded down) immediately after the damage has been dealt."? HOTO pg 28

It's just fun.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 am

Your Korobokuru race is probably a tad underpowered. To give you some idea, I make it 7 or 8 points when the target is 12.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:37 pm

genghisdon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 am
Or another version (there area few) is better than what I call the lazy **** of 5e design...just use an existing monster/race/class.Yeah, designing monsters/CR sucks balz in 5e, and thus "just reskin X or Y" is the endless refrain. Bah.
Why is this lazy? Why reinvent the wheel when you can save all of that time and energy for something else and just reskin something appropriate. your players aren't really going to know the difference. Especially with games that making balancing encounters difficult. With it's flat math, i honestly feel that is harder in 5E than in some previous iterations.

Hell, i reskin everything I can, cause its time that I can spend on anything else. and for some really crunchy games, i don't even do that. When i run Shadowrun for example, i don't even bother stating up most enemies, they just get so many "hits" and a base dice pool to roll for everything, and I go from there. Rules are ment to be ignored as long as its not obvious to the PCs that you are ignoring them.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 am

lazy is lazy, but so be it. Still, it's not invention of any sort (or work/effort) to take what others spent some time doing, right? Heck, that can be called lazy too.
You are quite correct (& agree with me?) on 5e being worse on encounter (and this includes DM monster) design
It wasn't a personal attack on you, I get people need to manage their time & so forth. I do not like the "just reskin" method, and the fact 5e basically forces (even for me) it is extra salt. So, not a fan, and in this case, others HAVE already done some work on the subject.
Coronoides wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 am
Your Korobokuru race is probably a tad underpowered. To give you some idea, I make it 7 or 8 points when the target is 12.
It's not mine. I agree it's not potent/powerful. I'd change it a bit, but one can be lazy about it, or whatnot. It was an example, from someone else (hence "" & sourcing).

Return to “Oriental Adventures”