[Malatra] Bring back Living Jungle!

Soaring above the jungles of southern Kara-Tur, the Malatran Plateau has been invisible to the natives of Abeir-Toril for thousands of years. Most sages consider the area nothing more than an uninteresting wilderness.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Malatra] Bring back Living Jungle!

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am

Donald J. Bingle and Skip Williams are trying to arrange some sort of event with one or more classic RPGA adventures for Gen Con 50. See the: Classic RPGA call to arms for GenCon 50 topic for more details and I wonder if Living Jungle could be part of that event. :D

I'm not sure if the deal that Donald J. Bingle and Skip Williams made with "the powers that be" only covers 2nd Edition or if it would also be possible to run the 3e Living Jungle adventures, but it would be great to see something done.

If you like Living Jungle, or if you have worked on the Living Jungle team, this is your big chance to help get something to happen. Please spread the word.

Meanwhile, what Living Jungle adventures do you think would be best for people going to Gen Con? Would you like to see the campaign reset to year zero, or would you like to see a sequel adventure get written?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Malatra] Bring back Living Jungle!

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am

Did they end up running any of the RPGA adventures at Gen Con 50? If so, which one(s)?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am
Did they end up running any of the RPGA adventures at Gen Con 50? If so, which one(s)?
Good question. I don't actually know.

But there are Living Jungle designers who are still working on the setting, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:43 pm

I discovered only recently the "Living Worlds" and I think they are great formats providing great gaming experiences.
Long life to them!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:39 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:43 pm
I discovered only recently the "Living Worlds" and I think they are great formats providing great gaming experiences.
Long life to them!
I didn't see anything about "Living Worlds" on the Malatra downloads page. Would you share some more info, or a link, please?

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:03 am

Living Jungle is just one more Living World (aka Living Campaign) proposed by RPGA & C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_campaigns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPGA
https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ing_Jungle
Overall, a lot of great experiences!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 am

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I'd heard of Living Campaigns, but hadn't heard them called Living Worlds before.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:03 am
Living Jungle is just one more Living World (aka Living Campaign) proposed by RPGA & C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_campaigns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPGA
https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ing_Jungle
Overall, a lot of great experiences!
...and...
Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 am
Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I'd heard of Living Campaigns, but hadn't heard them called Living Worlds before.
I guess that "Living Campaigns" would be the organised campaigns, while "Living Worlds" would be the campaign settings they are set in. The two probably have the same name, most of the time.

Interestingly the RPGA organised some Living Campaigns that were set on worlds that TSR and WIzards of the Coast did not own. There is Living Kingdoms of Kalamar, which has been wound down now. And I think that Living Arcanus (not sure of the spelling) went on to be turned into a commercial campaign setting, after originally being designed for RPGA events.

The term "Living" seems to have fallen out of favour. I think people prefer "organised play" now,

And the new organised play content seems to have a different distribution method now. In the past they used to make files that non-members could not gain access to. And a lot of good adventures have been lost to time. But now the D&D Adventurer's League seems to be set up so that non-members can come along and buy stuff.

Anyhoo, I heard about Living Jungle after doing some research into what happened before Living Greyhawk (3e) and finding that there were at least two Living Campaigns set in Forgotten Realms (Living City and Living Jungle).

I don't know how many of the RPGA campaign settings Donald J. Bingle and Skip Williams managed to bring back.

Maybe I should give them a ping and see if they posted a report of what happened.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:55 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:03 pm
I think that Living Arcanus (not sure of the spelling) went on to be turned into a commercial campaign setting, after originally being designed for RPGA events.
That's correct. I've been pilfering Arcanis' character options for my wife's paladin character in the 5e campaign we play in.
Big Mac wrote:
And the new organised play content seems to have a different distribution method now. In the past they used to make files that non-members could not gain access to. And a lot of good adventures have been lost to time. But now the D&D Adventurer's League seems to be set up so that non-members can come along and buy stuff.
That's right. There are a few exceptions, but most of the Adventurer's League content is available for anyone to purchase on the DM's Guild.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
I guess that "Living Campaigns" would be the organised campaigns, while "Living Worlds" would be the campaign settings they are set in. The two probably have the same name, most of the time.
After all, they are just concepts and each setting/ruleset adapted the name that they thought most suitable for them. For example, while Malatra has Living Jungle, Star Wars has Living Force, Dark Sun has Ashes of Athas and Blackmoor has Blackmoor MMRPG... but the concept, ultimately, is the same.
It's definitely worth exploring them all, although we are actually talking about thousands of one-off adventures! :o

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sorta. Nothing was on the schedule, but I ran an invite only Masks of the Dohi'ri for a group of about 10 players which I had announced on the Facebook page for Malatra. I also did a self-made 5e Malatra adventure for some friends there.
-Apotheot

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:28 am

Big Mac wrote:

I don't know how many of the RPGA campaign settings Donald J. Bingle and Skip Williams managed to bring back.

Maybe I should give them a ping and see if they posted a report of what happened.

I ran one adventure there, and played in two others. No "settings" were really brought back, just stand alone adventures. Here is the list of what they ran:
Don't Go There by Donald Bingle and Saul Resnikoff (1999) AD&D 2nd
Beyond by Donald Bingle (1990) Paranoia
Down on the Farm by Donald Bingle, Jay Tummelson, and Linda Bingle (1987) Chill
Ponds Place by Jean Rabe and Robert Farnsworth (2017) 5th ed D&D
Let Loose the Sheep of War by Donald Bingle and Tom Prusa (2001) Battle Cattle
The Sixth Warrior by Tom Prusa (2017) 5th ed D&D
Heart of the Forest Savage by Skip Williams and Penny Williams (1999) AD&D 2nd

Bingle reported on his blog that after the initial announcement of the event he was swamped with people offering their adventure to be played again. In the end, the interest by players was so great they had to add additional runs, DMs and characters to some adventures just to try to accommodate everyone.

I won't lie that I was a little disappointed that no one took up the torch and continued the event this last Gen Con.

-Apotheot.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 am

apotheot wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:28 am
Bingle reported on his blog that after the initial announcement of the event he was swamped with people offering their adventure to be played again. In the end, the interest by players was so great they had to add additional runs, DMs and characters to some adventures just to try to accommodate everyone.
I love hearing that there's still so much fan support. I hope someone will consider organizing this next year!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 am

apotheot wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 am
Tim Baker wrote:
Sorta. Nothing was on the schedule, but I ran an invite only Masks of the Dohi'ri for a group of about 10 players which I had announced on the Facebook page for Malatra. I also did a self-made 5e Malatra adventure for some friends there.
-Apotheot
Sounds good. Were they all existing fans or did anyone bring along someone new to the setting?

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 am
apotheot wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
-Apotheot
Sounds good. Were they all existing fans or did anyone bring along someone new to the setting?
I had 8 players that had never played the setting. (3 of whom I had never met). This last year I ran a game (Dark Village) for 6, all of whom had played the year before, including 4 of the newbs.
-Apothoet

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 am
apotheot wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:28 am
I love hearing that there's still so much fan support. I hope someone will consider organizing this next year!
I had told Bingle that I would love to play/run if it happened again. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to attempt to organize anything.
-Apotheot

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 am

apotheot wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 am
apotheot wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
-Apotheot
I had 8 players that had never played the setting. (3 of whom I had never met). This last year I ran a game (Dark Village) for 6, all of whom had played the year before, including 4 of the newbs.
-Apothoet
That's great!

Now if there was some sort of way to syndicate that, we might be able to grow the fanbase a bit. :?

Return to “Malatra: The Living Jungle”