[DMs Guild] Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[DMs Guild] Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 am

There is an adventure, set partially in the Spelljammer campaign setting up on DMs Guild. And it's not just up on DMs Guild - it is being advertised in the DMs Guild newsletter. It's called Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques and it's written by James Introcaso and it must be "legit" because it's part of the DMs Guild Adept program (run by Wizards of the Coast)!:

Here is the DMs Guild blurb:
DMs Guild wrote:Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques
From James Introcaso

Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques is a single-session, over-the-top, gonzo action adventure meant for four to six level 20 characters. The adventure serves as a capstone for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but can be modified for any setting.

What’s more fun than one tarrasque? How about multiple tarrasques stomping across Waterdeep? How about a whole planet full of tarrasques ready to rumble? If that sounds exciting, then Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques is for you.

Halaster Blackcloak died... but then he came back... with reinforcements...

Adventure Background

Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain, always has a contingency in place. As long as Undermountain remains beneath the city of Waterdeep, Halaster can never truly die within its walls, for the dungeon rebuilds the mage’s body on the rare occasions when adventurers “kill” Halaster.

Halaster realized that if adventurers destroyed all of Undermountain (a nigh impossible feat more difficult than even slaying the mage), he would lose his immortality. To further protect his life, Halaster took some of the rooms and halls of Undermountain and flung them across the multiverse, including other worlds of the Material Plane. With Undermountain spread across existence, the task of permanently killing Halaster is even more difficult.

Unfortunately for the mage, a party adventurers recently killed him in his dungeon beneath the City of Splendors. When Halaster’s body reformed, he found himself in Falx, another world of the Material Plane inhabited entirely by enormous, carnivorous monsters with endless appetites. These scaly bipeds are closely related to the tarrasque, an infamous monstrosity feared across the worlds of the Material Plane. Halaster, now obsessed with punishing the adventurers who killed him, began to hatch a plot. If one tarrasque could level an entire city, what could a planet’s worth of the beings do to Faerûn?

Adventure Overview

This adventure is divided into three chapters.
  • Chapter 1. In “Giff You a Hand” a platoon of giff arrive in a spacefaring vessel and warn the adventurers about a coming invasion of tarrasques. With the clock ticking, the characters have a chance to prepare for the battle by mustering their allies.
  • Chapter 2. In “Battle for Waterdeep” the characters face-off with the invading titans, defend Waterdeep, and fight for their lives.
  • Chapter 3. In “Falx, Ho!” the characters travel through a portal to the planet of Falx to face Halaster and his army of tarrasques atop a stone tower made from pieces of Undermountain.
This product includes...
  • A PDF of the adventure with art
  • A printer friendly version of the adventure
  • Map images that can be used with virtual table tops
This is a DMs Guild Adepts product. The DMs Guild Adept Program was started and is managed by Wizards of the Coast. It brings together some of the best talents creating for the DMs Guild for creative development. DMs Guild Adepts products are identified by the gold ampersand logo.
Falx is one of the planets from SJR4 Practical Planetology, so it's definitely not in Realmspace (which I know was already released under the wing of Forgotten Realms on DMs Guild).

I've not seen a formal annoucement by WotC that Spelljammer (or maybe the parts of Spelljammer outside of Krynnspace and Greyspace) are open to DMs Guild. Maybe only DMs Guild adepts are allowed to write products set in the Spelljammer universe.

What with Nathan Stewart pulling the Spelljammer confirmed stunt and then specifically saying: "...I've told you we are not doing Spelljammer anytime soon. So don't go there" after the Spoiler Number 5 announcement for the 2019 D&D setting plans, it kind of doesn't make sense for the DMs Guild Adepts program to sneak out a Spelljammer adventure shortly afterwards.

Is this another stunt by Nathan Stewart or do WotC have no idea what they are doing with DMs Guild! :P I still can not find an easy to understand list of what campaign settings can be published in DMs Guild. I saw a Magic: The Gathering product a while back, asked WotC and DriveThru if they had rolled out M:tG and they yanked the product, so I know that they are confusing the people who write for DMs Guild.

I'd like to see some sort of clarification of the status of Spelljammer. Have the DMs Guild Adepts program broken the DMs Guild agreement? Is this a special case? or is Spelljammer now a setting available for publication on DMs Guild? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [DMs Guild] Invasion from the Planet of Tarrasques

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Sounds like good fun! :P
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 am
I'd like to see some sort of clarification of the status of Spelljammer. Have the DMs Guild Adepts program broken the DMs Guild agreement? Is this a special case? or is Spelljammer now a setting available for publication on DMs Guild? :?
This is a complete guess on my part, but I suspect this is permitted because of a combination of it being written by the Guild Adepts and that it's tied into the latest hardcover adventure (even if it uses content from Spelljammer). I'm not sure if anyone else would be allowed to do the same thing -- probably not, but again, I'm only guessing.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 am
This is a complete guess on my part, but I suspect this is permitted because of a combination of it being written by the Guild Adepts and that it's tied into the latest hardcover adventure (even if it uses content from Spelljammer). I'm not sure if anyone else would be allowed to do the same thing -- probably not, but again, I'm only guessing.
I don't think anyone else would be allowed to do the same thing either...not until they release Spelljamme to DMs Guild.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm
Sounds like good fun! :P
It does. :cool:

I think this adventure might work better in a Spelljammer context (instead of a Forgotten Realms context). If you swapped out Halaster Blackcloak for someone else and had an an invasion from Falx to another celestial body in the same crystal sphere, all bets would be off and the tarrasques could potentially take over the entire planet...if left unchecked.

(And because there are multiple worlds in the Spelljammer universe, the players could retreat offworld...if they got unlucky...without the entire campaign setting being destroyed. I'm not so sure the same would apply if you ran this on Toril and the tarrasques took over Waterdeep and started breeding.)

There are also mindflayers on Falx, so this might even fit in with some sort of illithid plot to take over other worlds.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:12 pm

This sounds incredibly stupid; I want it.

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm
There are also mindflayers on Falx, so this might even fit in with some sort of illithid plot to take over other worlds.
Plot to take over the world or plot to rid themselves of those troublesome tarrasques by foisting them off one someone else's planet? I can't imagine sharing a world with that many tarrasques is fun even for illithids.

Actually, how the heck do the illithids survive there anyway? This could be a 5e stat-thing, but I'd think that illithids would find themselves outmatched by tarrasques even in low numbers?

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Cromstar wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Plot to take over the world or plot to rid themselves of those troublesome tarrasques by foisting them off one someone else's planet? I can't imagine sharing a world with that many tarrasques is fun even for illithids.

Actually, how the heck do the illithids survive there anyway? This could be a 5e stat-thing, but I'd think that illithids would find themselves outmatched by tarrasques even in low numbers?
well, probably living underground helps. and also the fact that they are all psychic probably helps too... and quite frankly, simply enslaving flying creatures will go a long way as well. tarrasques have not always stayed *exactly* the same, but it seems to be consistent that they're pretty bad at actually hurting anything that can move faster than them, fly, or hide. that makes them devastating to buildings, but far less devastating to mobile cavalry units.

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Jaid wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 pm
well, probably living underground helps. and also the fact that they are all psychic probably helps too... and quite frankly, simply enslaving flying creatures will go a long way as well. tarrasques have not always stayed *exactly* the same, but it seems to be consistent that they're pretty bad at actually hurting anything that can move faster than them, fly, or hide. that makes them devastating to buildings, but far less devastating to mobile cavalry units.
Well, the 2e tarrasque is immune to all psionics, in addition to its immunity to heat, fire, and just about any kind of directly attacking magic (to quote: "Bolts and rays such as lightning bolts, cones of cold, and even magic missiles are useless against it."), which is why I brought up the possibility its a stat difference for newer editions to expand the range of options for damaging a tarrasque. And underground doesn't seem like it would really help (the tarrasque likes to lair underground, and is probably more than capable of digging out smaller tunnels to get at the larger ones any kind of illithid civilization would be built in). Flying in the air would keep you out of reach of them, I suppose, but I don't know if illithids would be up for all that day-time sun?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Cromstar wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 pm
but I don't know if illithids would be up for all that day-time sun?
Do we know if the Planet of the Tarrasques even *has* a sun? Even if we assume realistic astrophysics (which we shouldn't, because Spelljammer is canon), so the planet can't be actually hurtling through the cold void of space without the atmosphere freezing, the planet could absolutely be shrouded in permanent thunderclouds so that the sun never touches the ground - or the flying cities 2,000 feet up where the illithids and their slaves/food/etc. live.

Return to “Spelljammer”