[Aerth] [Mythus] Anyone currently playing?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
cyric
Orc

[Aerth] [Mythus] Anyone currently playing?

Post by cyric » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Greetings,

I'm currently designing a new campaign. I will use Aerth as the base - but with more inherent magic and monsters and with less gates / doors an stuff.
It would be great to talk to people about it that are currently playing this world or had in the near past.

Thx!
Cyric

JamesMishler
Ogre

Re: [Aerth] [Mythus] Anyone currently playing?

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm

I ran several campaigns in Aerth over the years.

My three favorites were the Albion Campaign, the Philistia Campaign, and the Mare Phoenicium Campaign.

All three took place in the past, not the current time outlined in the book.

Albion took place at the same time as The Anarchy, and pitted Brythokells against Saxons against Danes against Normans against Picts against Norse... It was a wonderful mix of factions, and the HPs ended up finding Excalibur's scabbard and encountering Wotan.

Philistia took place at the same time as the Real World Crusades; it was Helios versus Apollo versus Shamash worshipping factions vying for control of Philistia and Heirosolyma, with the PCs (this was 3E D&D) being mercenaries from abroad getting involved in the local mess and eventually exploring a lost tomb that supposedly was the true resting place of Alexander the Great and his treasures.

The Mare Phoenicium Campaign took place in the Dark Ages, with the remnants of the Vandals, wild tribes of Yarbans, Phoenicians, Atlantians, and resurgent and independent and then Set-worshipping Aegyptians seeking to control Tripolitania and either free or keep contained the Things sleeping in ancient tombs thereupon... With the PCs (again 3E) adventurers caught up in the middle.

I always found things too peaceful and balanced in the current, modern era in Aerth, but as its history is so close to ours, there is plenty of opportunity in historical eras. And the job is so simple thanks to there being a ton of real world historical resources out there... Just add magic!

cyric
Orc

Post by cyric » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

Thx alot for your reply.

Did you never play in the actual timeline?

How did you incoporate the fantasy elements of your campaign? Did you use the seperated feary world and gates / doors as suggested by Gygax or did you put more classic fantasy elements into your campaigns?

I agree with you that the current state of the world seems kind of static. The information about ongoing conflicts, border skrimishes and clashing cultures is near null. What i sad if you take a look at all those patheons alone which offer a brode stage for religious tumults all over europe and other continents as well.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 am

cyric wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am
Did you never play in the actual timeline?
No, never did actually, though I have tried working up some scenarios under which the current time period would work.
cyric wrote:
How did you incoporate the fantasy elements of your campaign? Did you use the seperated feary world and gates / doors as suggested by Gygax or did you put more classic fantasy elements into your campaigns?
Faerie and the Inner Aerth and Goblin World all existed, pretty much as in the book, though a dash more "fantastic" than the more common form it seemed to take in the book (it almost seemed blasé by the way it was discussed, like going to Faerie was taking the subway across town).

There were regions of Aerth that were taken over by or strongly influenced by Faerie, so it wasn't all just on the "other side."

Gnomes, as per the book, were numerous in the Alps (a joke of course on the "Gnomes of Zurich") and in Flanders.

Elves, Dwarves, and trolls were found in Scandinavia; Grossnifflen was a worldly equivalent of Jotunheim.

Elves were found in Cymru and Hibernia; dwarves in Caledonia; halflings throughout most of Aeropa.

Jack Vance's Lyonnesse took the place of the one detailed in Epic of Aerth (of course, with an advanced timeline from the Dark Age version in the novels), but it still had the Forest of Tantravalles full of faerie folk.

The Black Forest of Burgundy was home to all manners of dark faeries.

And etc.
cyric wrote:
I agree with you that the current state of the world seems kind of static. The information about ongoing conflicts, border skrimishes and clashing cultures is near null. What i sad if you take a look at all those patheons alone which offer a brode stage for religious tumults all over europe and other continents as well.
One of the other things I also considered for a current-age campaign was the break up some of the larger states, such as Francia, into smaller constituent states; this makes local conflict all the more likely, rather than having to worry about large, continent-wide conflicts. It also makes more sense, as magic would be an even greater "equalizer" than firearms. Even a petty baron with a magist or two would be a force to be reckoned with, and so smaller domains would be more likely to be able to hold off being forcefully unified (for example, Iberia is still fractured, and Germany as well, yet Francia still held mostly together? I always thought the Swiss were Gary's favorites).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Interesting. I have managed to get my hands on the main books for Mythus, but I have never gotten to play or run it. I am intrigued by the idea of using earlier eras for the setting. I also toyed with the idea of using Aerth for Mystara's LaTerre, which I think is something Ripvanwormer or James suggested(?). So far only reading the books though. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”