Making a Wizard Evoker

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Making a Wizard Evoker

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:36 am

So, I'm rolling up a Human Wizard for a new campaign I will be joining. I see him as a "firemage".

How do you guys feel about this spell selection at 1st level:

Cantrips:
Light
Magehand
Firebolt

1st Level
Burning Hands
Mage Armor
Find Familiar - I'm thinking a "Firebird", basically a Hawk with Infernal quality.
Tensers Floating Disc
Detect Magic
Shield

My plan for him is to become an Evoker at 2nd level and specialize in fire magic.

This is my first time playing* a Wizard since AD&D 2nd Edition(!) so any input is of help! :)

Also: How does the Potent Cantrip ability work? When I miss with my Firebolt, the target still needs to save or take half dmg?

-Havard

*=I usually DM the D&D campaigns so its not as crazy as it sounds.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Making a Wizard Evoker

Post by willpell » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm

I strongly recommend Chromatic Orb. You might not be able to start with it, depending on how cooperative the DM is about you getting the 100-GP gem you need as a focus, but there's hardly a better spell, and in particular it will reward you for putting in the effort to learn the vulnerabilities of different monsters.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am

It all depends on whether you want your wizard combat-oriented or not. In the latter case, I could see charm person, comprehend languages, feather fall, identify etc. in your spellbook.
You can also use create bonfire (Dex save) and produce flame (spell attack) for cantrips, and chromatic orb, as willpell mentions, is strongly recommended, simply from the fact that you can choose the type of damage you wish (in this case, fire). Potent Cantrip requires a spell save so, no, it doesn't work with fire bolt, but meshes well with create bonfire.
Bear in mind that quite a few creatures have either resistance or immunity to fire, so you might want to have a non-fire damage spell in hand.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm
I strongly recommend Chromatic Orb. You might not be able to start with it, depending on how cooperative the DM is about you getting the 100-GP gem you need as a focus, but there's hardly a better spell, and in particular it will reward you for putting in the effort to learn the vulnerabilities of different monsters.
That is great advice! I didn't realize that spell was so useful :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am
It all depends on whether you want your wizard combat-oriented or not. In the latter case, I could see charm person, comprehend languages, feather fall, identify etc. in your spellbook.
You can also use create bonfire (Dex save) and produce flame (spell attack) for cantrips, and chromatic orb, as willpell mentions, is strongly recommended, simply from the fact that you can choose the type of damage you wish (in this case, fire).
Bear in mind that quite a few creatures have either resistance or immunity to fire, so you might want to have a non-fire damage spell in hand.
Great advice! Good point about having something to fight off creatures that have immunity to fire.

I have never played with the guy who is DMing before, so I don't really know what to expect. He only told me he wanted me to create a Wizard for the party.
Potent Cantrip requires a spell save so, no, it doesn't work with fire bolt, but meshes well with create bonfire.
Aha, so it only works with spells that have a "save or no dmg" in which case the target takes 1/2 dmg if it succeeds?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 am

When you get to 4th level, and your DM allows you to take feats instead of the Ability Score Increase, take Elemental Adept (Fire). This allows you to cast fire-based spells against fire resistant creatures - it basically takes away their resistance. (paraphrased. Look up Elemental Adept feat in the PHB for exact details. Its a lovely feat!) :twisted:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Evokers have one very potent feature (and one of my biggest gripes as a DM), and that is Sculpt Spells: you can safely cast damaging spells anywhere, without worrying about your group taking any of the damage.
Havard wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm
zontoxira wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am
Potent Cantrip requires a spell save so, no, it doesn't work with fire bolt, but meshes well with create bonfire.
Aha, so it only works with spells that have a "save or no dmg" in which case the target takes 1/2 dmg if it succeeds?

-Havard

Exactly that, you deal damage (half of it) even if your target saves against your spell.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

The biggest thing (I think) is to look for ways to get as many cantrips as possible, and plan on the cantrip as being your go-to most of the time. That allows you to dust off your limited number of levelled spells when more dire stuff happens. This will put you in a situation where you can constantly do things, as compared to OD&D or AD&D magic-users who get one or two spells and a lot of waiting.

How can you get cantrips? As a high elf you get an extra cantrip. (Maybe all elves do. I'd need to check the rulebook.) Another neat trick is if you are human you can take a feat at 1st level instead of having as big a stat boost. That feat can be the one where you get two cantrips and a single-use 1st level spell.

Another thing to consider is that it may not be to your advantage to specialize so much (such as being a fire mage) because various monsters can be hurt best by different types of damage and if you are a "one trick pony" you may find that for certain monsters you are totally ineffectual. (That's part of what makes Chromatic Orb so cool, the fact that it can deal out a bunch of types of damage.) So, for example, getting Fire Bolt and Burning Hands and Fireball doesn't help as much as you might think. Especially since you can "overcast" most spells into higher spell slots for more damage, so a lot of those spells start to blend together.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”