What are your rpg plans for 2019?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: What are your rpg plans for 2019?

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 am

Illuminatus wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 am
My New Years resolution was to finally learn how to use Roll20. I got an account in 2016 but it was so daunting I've never done anything with it...until about three days ago.

I'd like to fire up some old campaigns with friends who now live a zillion miles away.
I was initially hesitant to learn to use a VTT as well. However, I'm glad I did. I enjoyed several years of gaming with family that wouldn't have been possible without a VTT such as Roll20.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:09 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 am
I was initially hesitant to learn to use a VTT as well. However, I'm glad I did. I enjoyed several years of gaming with family that wouldn't have been possible without a VTT such as Roll20.
I agree, as I'm in a similar situation. However, I went with Fantasy Grounds; though I did use Roll20 for some time before making the switch. Fantasy Grounds just works better for me and my group who use 2nd edition AD&D as our "Go-To" system.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm

As a GM:
-Doing baseline preparation work (JAN-MAY) for 10 RPG campaigns I would like to run this year, with the top three campaigns choices at the end of my poll/survey results being the ones I will develop into full fledge games to run in the summer and winter semesters. (see link in signature).

As a Player (F2F):
-Keeping an eye out for games I can join at any of my FLGS or gaming communities.

-As a Player (VTT):
Will be doing a search of games to join somewhere around mid to end of January of Roll20 and/or Fantasy Grounds.

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Post by Illuminatus » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:09 am
However, I went with Fantasy Grounds; though I did use Roll20 for some time before making the switch. Fantasy Grounds just works better for me and my group who use 2nd edition AD&D as our "Go-To" system.
What are the advantages/disadvantages re: 2e? I'm a 2e guy myself.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:57 pm

My 2019 plans are to pick Red Steel back up, continue Magus Mundi (my M-AGE homebrew), and start a game of Capharnaüm. I am sure there willbe more as time goes on, but these are the current plans
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

My plans for 2019 RPG-wise involve working on writing up my campaign settings. They've spent way too long in my head.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Illuminatus wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm
What are the advantages/disadvantages re: 2e? I'm a 2e guy myself.
I don't know about now, but when I was using Roll20, it did not have a dedicated platform for using 2nd edition. There were a few character sheets, but for a lot of the rules, I had to create my own macros in order to emulate the simplest of 2e die rolls.

With Fantasy Grounds, while it is not "officially" supported, there are three different platforms or rulesets as they are called on FG dedicated to 2nd edition that are fan creations. These utilize the rules, making most of the calculations of the game (e.g. THAC0) without having to create any macros. Both Roll20 and FG allow for the easy sharing of handouts and maps, and to be honest, Roll20 handled map use better, but for me, having a dedicated "2nd edition engine" driving Fantasy Grounds was the #1 selling point.

Another "con", unless this too has changed since I last used Roll20, is that the "Fee Side" of FG is a bit more limited than Roll20... But again, I like the dedicated ruleset, and it was well worth the price for me.

Fantasy Grounds is not web-based, so there is software that must be downloaded. But it is very easy to set up and start playing.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm
My plans for 2019 RPG-wise involve working on writing up my campaign settings. They've spent way too long in my head.
I'm eager to see them.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”