Alternate Thunder Rift Timeline

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Alternate Thunder Rift Timeline

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am

This is gonna be a doozy people. I'm gonna make 2 points before posting my alternate timeline:

#1. The Sega Genesis game: Warriors of the Eternal Sun is linked to Thunder Rifts past via Duke Hector Barrik in the game and the ruins of Barrik's Keep in Quest for the Silver Sword module set in Thunder Rift. Now the Sega game takes characters from 1st to 14th level for humans, 12th level for dwarves, 10th level for elves and 8th level for halflings (Hin).

#2. All 4 of the DA modules set in Blackmoor are for levels 10-14.

Those are my 2 points. Now what if instead of getting sent back to the castle after the Burrower is defeated, the party is instead, sent thru a mysterious portal hidden in the Burrowers lair by Ka to investigate the other side? And yep, said portal dumps the party in the cellar of the Comeback Inn just after Uther is kidnapped. (or as my timeline mentions, maybe the party is dropped off just outside the Blackmoor city limits and they actually take rooms in the CBI just before Uther is kidnapped.) either way, under suspicion of being involved, the party is encouraged to rescue Uther.

and now for the timeline:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13vlRj ... eoB32T3kIW

Thoughts, comments, assassination attempts all welcome :P

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Alternate Thunder Rift Timeline

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 am

Very interesting. I'd like to place Thunder Rift in Skothar so this is quite useful to me!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am
This is gonna be a doozy people. I'm gonna make 2 points before posting my alternate timeline:

#1. The Sega Genesis game: Warriors of the Eternal Sun is linked to Thunder Rifts past via Duke Hector Barrik in the game and the ruins of Barrik's Keep in Quest for the Silver Sword module set in Thunder Rift. Now the Sega game takes characters from 1st to 14th level for humans, 12th level for dwarves, 10th level for elves and 8th level for halflings (Hin).

#2. All 4 of the DA modules set in Blackmoor are for levels 10-14.
I didn't realise Warriors of the Eternal Sun was set in the Thunder Rift area (in an earlier era).

I don't know Thunder Rift well enough to see how it would fit in with the DA modules. So I'm not sure if you picked the two because they are from the same era or if they fit together thematically. :?
Gravesguardian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am
Those are my 2 points. Now what if instead of getting sent back to the castle after the Burrower is defeated, the party is instead, sent thru a mysterious portal hidden in the Burrowers lair by Ka to investigate the other side? And yep, said portal dumps the party in the cellar of the Comeback Inn just after Uther is kidnapped. (or as my timeline mentions, maybe the party is dropped off just outside the Blackmoor city limits and they actually take rooms in the CBI just before Uther is kidnapped.) either way, under suspicion of being involved, the party is encouraged to rescue Uther.

and now for the timeline:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13vlRj ... eoB32T3kIW

Thoughts, comments, assassination attempts all welcome :P
I recognise some of the things you are referencing there (I know the Comeback Inn is a Blackmoor thing). I can tell that you have had to do some clever stuff to swap things around, but I wish I could tell exactly what you are doing (and what cool things the changes unlock).

So what's the thing with the castle? Is that a DA element you have imported into Thunder Rift? Or was it always in Thunder Rift?

What's the difference between Thunder Rift in the Warriors of the Eternal Sun era and the era of the published D&D products? Is it just a matter of older NPCs dying and being replaced by younger NPCs or have there been more radical changes?

What's the deal with the Comeback Inn? Are you thinking of using that to get PCs between the present and the past? Or are you going to use some of this stuff as history and not have it change during the game? :?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I really don't know much about Thunder Rift. :)

Anyhoo, I hope this goes well. Do let us know what you do with it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 pm

WotES doesn't actually list itself as being from Thunder Rift. If you compare maps of Thunder Rift w/ the area map of WotES, they mesh incredibly well. WotES can be considered to take place in TR's past, most tend to place it roughly 800 years before the published TR material. Aside from the maps lining up, both have references to Barrik: Duke Hector Barrik in WotES and the ruins of Barrik Keep in TR's Quest for the Silver Sword module.

The keep w/ the waterwheel is mentioned in the TR campaign setting book; but, mention is all it got. Turning the waterwheel keep into the Comeback Keep was purely my idea as a means of placing TR as a colony of Blackmoor. Certain fanon timelines pertaining to WotES and TR, place the reappearance of Duke Barriki's castle at 1000 AC w/in the Hollow World (where the game takes place). The timelines I've seen place the Goblin Wars from the beginning of WotES at 200 AC, so the events between game and published material is roughly 800 years.

My idea of linking Blackmoor to TR was to help better place TR on Mystara. Using my timeline, TR would be on the same continent as Blackmoor; but, far enough away to survive the effects of the GRoF once you factor in the properties of the bedrock surrounding TR. The 1,000 years that Blackmoor stood, allows for them to send colonists thru; but, the GRoF would disrupt the connection between the CBI and the CBK until the CBK's creator (ie. my Shadow Elf Shaman character Graves) reappears in TR to realign the two gates. As a result; much of what's listed in the alternate timeline is purely historical and would've been long forgotten to the Riftians. (They would only really remember events starting w/ the Rift Wars between Dwarves and Elves.)

At present, I've no intention of doing anything more w/ that timeline since I'm not actively DM'ing or Playing. One thing that always bugged me about TR was the lack of a proper timeline listing. Sure it was designed for new Dms and Players; but, they could've done something about placing years to the events. I used the listing in the various Gazetteers and Hollow World campaign setting as reference. I did intentionally leave out some ideas pertaining to Blackmoor, Uther and his Companions that would've required me to reveal more about Graves past than I'ld normally do.

If others like it and want to make use of that timeline, they can simple remove all references to my PC's involvement.
Last edited by Gravesguardian on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Thunder Rift and Blackmoor? Count me in! :D

Looks great!

Yeah, I think I was the one who connected Duke Barrik from WotES with Barrik's Keep in Thunder Rift. Some speculated that Duke Barrik's original realm (from WotES) might instead have been in Darokin. There are plenty of options :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Thunder Rift and Blackmoor? Count me in! :D

Looks great!

Yeah, I think I was the one who connected Duke Barrik from WotES with Barrik's Keep in Thunder Rift. Some speculated that Duke Barrik's original realm (from WotES) might instead have been in Darokin. There are plenty of options :)

-Havard
Wasn't it you that overlaid the maps of TR and WotES to find out just how well they meshed together? I know I've seen that overlay map somewhere here or at the VoP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm
Wasn't it you that overlaid the maps of TR and WotES to find out just how well they meshed together? I know I've seen that overlay map somewhere here or at the VoP.
Hmm...I made maps of TR and WotES, but not sure I overlaid them? Can't find anything like that on my HD right now...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

I might have you confused w/ someone else on these sites; but, I'll do a quick look to find that map.

On the VoP under Thunder Rift Atlas is a listing for Barrik's Castle by Chris Seabrook that has the map overlay he did of TR and WotES. (Sorry, I sometimes get your work and his confused.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for the newbie-friendly details Gravesguardian. :-)

Maybe there should be a Warriors of the Eternal Sun topic in this forum, so that people can discuss how well it fits with Thunder Rift.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Thanks for the newbie-friendly details Gravesguardian. :-)

Maybe there should be a Warriors of the Eternal Sun topic in this forum, so that people can discuss how well it fits with Thunder Rift.
You're welcome and there should just be a Warriors of the Eternal Sun topic on this forum... period. After all the cover of the Hint Book does state: Dungeons & Dragons Warriors of the Eternal Sun Sega Genesis 16-Bit Cartridge Hint Book.

Now technically, we can look at WotES as a sub-region of Hollow World, like the various other lands scattered thru-out HW. (Think lands of the Kogolar Dwarves, Azcan Lands, Schattenalfen Territories...you get the picture.) But, due to the strong similarities between the map of TR and the map of WotES, plus the existence of the previously mentioned Barrik names; I would say the connection between them is solid.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 am

Havard wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Gravesguardian wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm
Hmm...I made maps of TR and WotES, but not sure I overlaid them? Can't find anything like that on my HD right now...

-Havard
Pandius has a Mr Havard putting WotES in the Hollow World.. http://www.pandius.com/hllw_map.html

Return to “Thunder Rift”