[Realmspace] Effect of the First Sundering on Realmspace?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Realmspace] Effect of the First Sundering on Realmspace?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 am

The First Sundering is an effect caused by Elven High Magic cast on Faerûn on Toril in Realmspace. Here is the start of the Forgotten Realms Wiki article for it:
First Sundering at Forgotten Realms Wiki wrote:The First Sundering (sometimes simply The Sundering) or Ever'Sakkatien (as called by the Tel-quessir), was a High Magic ritual cast by the greatest High Mages of the Tel-quessir during the period of The First Flowering, around -17600 DR. [1][2] The ritual resulted in the creation of the Isle of Evermeet, but also resulted in widespread disaster which destroyed or altered much of Faerûn and may even be the cause of much of the non-uniformity of the Weave throughout the continent.[citation needed]

Ever'Sakkatien is somehow connected to the more recent Second Sundering, an event that takes place in the 1480s DR, and with the Tearfall, that took place in -31000 DR.[3]
I know that the Spellplague caused Abeir and Toril to merge, but I think that the First Sundering might be a process that split Abeir-Toril into two (because the Second Sundering involved Ao recreating the Tablets of Fate and "separating the worlds of Abeir and Toril once more"). :?

So, what I'm wondering is: is the First Sundering restricted to Faerûn or did it effect all of Toril (or all of Abeir-Toril)?

Could the First Sundering have had effects across Realmspace? If so, what sort of things might have happened on other worlds?

What sort of stuff was banished to create Evermeet?

Is there anywhere in Realmspace that could regarded as an "Evermeet of Wildspace"?

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide says that there were empires of reptilian, amphibian and avian peoples in the Days of Thunder (and that their empires fell apart, leaving lizardfolk, bullywug and aarakocra tribes). Could there have been wildspace reptilian, amphibian or avian civilisations that got distupted by the spell cast in the tower built on Faerûn?

Could any of the locations destroyed by the First Sundering (like Atorrnash) have been thrown into the Sea of Night, rather than destroyed outright?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: [Realmspace] Effect of the First Sundering on Realmspace?

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 am

Abeir and Toril were split in a process known as the “Tearfall". When the Second Sundering talks about “separating" Abeir and Toril, it talks about the merge that happened in the Spellplague. As you have said, the First Sundering is something restricted only to Toril.

So to speak, the Tearfall is The Sundering, or the “original Sundering", in relation to the other two.
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 am
So, what I'm wondering is: is the First Sundering restricted to Faerûn or did it effect all of Toril (or all of Abeir-Toril)?
It was restricted to Toril, but we know no more. Some users at Candlekeep believe it affected more than just Faerûn, as there is this theory that originally there was only one continent in Toril, known as Merrouroboros, or as Faerûn by the elves. So, the First Sundering separeted this continent into the continents we know today (ie. Faerûn, Maztica, Kara-Tur, etc.).

However, Chris Perkins and Matt Sernett said in a podcast in 2015 that Merrouroboros was not the only continent of ancient Toril, so the theory lacks canon foundations.
Big Mac wrote:
Could the First Sundering have had effects across Realmspace? If so, what sort of things might have happened on other worlds?
There are not changes to Realmspace as far as official products are concerned. The First Sundering was something restricted to one planet, after all.

The Tearfall, on the other hand, did added a new planet to Realmspace: Abeir. It's protected within its own pocket dimension that is out of synchrony with the rest of Realmspace, so its a place you cannot enter physically.

There is no given physical location of Abeir, either. However, for what is implied in the Sundering novels, Abeir exist in or near the same orbit as Toril, but revolves around the sun in the opposite direction.
Big Mac wrote:

Is there anywhere in Realmspace that could regarded as an "Evermeet of Wildspace"?
AFAIK, there is no info about this.
Big Mac wrote:
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide says that there were empires of reptilian, amphibian and avian peoples in the Days of Thunder (and that their empires fell apart, leaving lizardfolk, bullywug and aarakocra tribes). Could there have been wildspace reptilian, amphibian or avian civilisations that got distupted by the spell cast in the tower built on Faerûn?
If there are, those civilizations are way older than the First Sundering. We know some of them fled to other planes from the Tearfall and other disaster. So, maybe there are. No official product talks about it, though.
Big Mac wrote:
Could any of the locations destroyed by the First Sundering (like Atorrnash) have been thrown into the Sea of Night, rather than destroyed outright?
For all that we know, I don't think so. Seems the First Sundering not only destroyed stuff, but also changed history, rewritting stuff from the timeline.
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [Realmspace] Effect of the First Sundering on Realmspace?

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 am

Big Mac wrote:
Unlikely to get an official answer; I do imagine it would have created a separate sphere, Abeirspace, or something.
To be honest, the magics involved with the Sundering were already absurdly powerful. Like planetary rearranging absurd. Affecting the whole sphere is on a whole other level of insanity :P
Well, originally the Sundering was basically creating Toril's Atlantic Ocean and plopping Atlantis/Evermeet down in the middle. Nothing was really "banished". But then I think they decided to use it to create a time capsule (Abeir) to bring back whatever they wanted from the Days of Thunder.

Well, no doubt the lizardmen & aarakocra in Coliar are descendants of Creator Races of Toril, at least IMHO. Or maybe the lizardmen &/or aarakocra originated on Coliar and migrated to Toril. We really don't know much about the non-llithid/beholder races of Glyth & H'Catha, so its possible they were settled by lizardmen/bullywug/aarakocra tribes.
Its always possible something was tossed into Realmspace due to the effects of the Sundering. However, the 30k odd years would likely render any such locations utterly unrecognizable, if only because no such locations currently exist in Realmspace and if they are in Realmspace, they're very well hidden & Isolated. I'd be much more inclined to use said locations as seeds to populate Abeirspace with.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “Spelljammer”