WebDM: In Defense of the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Havard
Dragon Turtle

WebDM: In Defense of the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPZ-iFmGpdA

I think this video is a good look at the book. The video is mainly positive and hightlights some things about the book that I overlooked originally. It also mentions how this book isn't really a good introduction to the Ravnica setting, which might be why I flipped through it and havent really looked at it that much since. This video made me want to take another look :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: WebDM: In Defense of the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I think I will take another look as well. When I look at Ravnica, I think it would serve better as a city in a setting like Eberron.

The big problem I have with Ravnica is wondering where they get their food from. The whole world's a city? You have to have some farmers somewhere to grow your food.

I ran the adventure for Ravnica they had on DMs Guild (which is also in the book, IIRC) and I really saw little to set it apart.

Am I missing something here?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm
The big problem I have with Ravnica is wondering where they get their food from. The whole world's a city? You have to have some farmers somewhere to grow your food.
The Drow can survive and grow food underground in complete darkness. ;)

I think surface dwellers can easily survive. Roof gardens are very fashionable these days in Cuba. Also many local parks were transformed into vegetable plantations after what they call the «Special Period» when they ran out of food because the soviets decided not to support them anymore.

Its a fantasy world anything is possible with druids. :lol:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:51 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm
I believe there are some rooftop gardens, mostly run by the Selesnya and Simic, which would provide most of the fancy expensive food for the rich influential people. But feeding the 99% is pretty much entirely the responsibility of the Golgari, having been codified as such in the Guildpact, and the fact that they do that is pretty much why the other guilds tolerate the Golgari, instead of treating them as just a creepier and grosser version of the Gruul. The Golgari feed the city's poor people all sorts of fungus and "recycled protein" and such, produced very cheaply and in mass quantities in the Undercity, and I'd imagine that even when they're at war with another guild, they still keep up this duty, at least in areas not controlled by their enemy. (As an aside, the Rakdos kind of do a similar thing to provide "spiritual nourishment", in the form of entertainment, to keep the people content; the Golgari are the bread, the Rakdos are the circuses, and the Azorius are the Roman authorities, who work with the despised Golgari and Rakdos because they keep the population in line.)

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”