Other Minds, new Issue published!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Other Minds, new Issue published!

Post by Tolwen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi All!

Finally it is done - Other Minds, Issue #20 has gone live!
beside the usual sections, this Issue brings you the following contributions:
  • Tainted Treasure by José Enrique Vacas de la Rosa. Ideas and rules for handling tainted treasures in TOR
  • Creatures of Middle-earth: Ogres by Thomas Morwinsky. Background and rules for a new monster in Middle-earth for use with MERP, TOR and AME
  • Creatures of Middle-earth: Were-worms of the West by Brian Seligman. A new creature for Middle-earth for use with AME.
  • Orc-tribes of Wilderland by José Enrique Vacas de la Rosa. Ideas for more orcish variety in Wilderland for use with TOR.
  • Harondor TA 1645 by Galendae. A great article about this province of Gondor and accompanying background to the even more fabulous map of the same region.
  • Hobbit migrations by Thomas Morwinsky. Some background about the various areas settled by Hobbits throughout the Third Age, together with a bit of demographics.
Have fun with reading this Issue and please give us feedback - especially mistakes etc. you spot. Speaking from experience, I am pretty sure we will need at least one update to weed out all of them ;)
And please share this announcement freely to all those interested - as well as the Other Minds Facebook group. We welcome everyone - the bigger our community, the better!

You can download the Issue under this link.

For all the OM team
Thomas Morwinsky
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Other Minds, new Issue published!

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm

I like the way you are supporting multiple different rules systems with the magazine.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 am

Just downloaded, very interesting articles!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you both for your warm feedback! We always try to give the most!
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 am

Very enjoyable! I'm only about halfway through, but wanted to offer a trio of minor corrections/tweaks/what-have-you:

On page 14, the Facebook "Wargaming in Middle-Earth" group entry is unexpectedly cut off. I think the graphic may be covering additional lines of text.

On page 16, in the Jon Hodgson section is a sentence that read "In addition to hisd Patreon page ( Jon has set up his own company Handiwork Games which can be found under https://handiwork.games/." Based on context, "hisd" should be his, and the parentheses should be a comma.

On page 32, the ogre stats for MERP are partially cut off on the left side. The column title reads "ame" instead of "Name," the columns are for "gre" instead of "Ogre," etc. It's not a huge issue except that I'm not sure what the first footnote says.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 am

The Dark wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 am
Very enjoyable! I'm only about halfway through, but wanted to offer a trio of minor corrections/tweaks/what-have-you: [snip]
Thanks very much for the feedback! I have already assembled some other mistakes, oversights etc. (and expect some more to come) and the ones you found will be added and included in the fixed version of the Issue which is due shortly.

Best
Thomas
---

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:48 pm

Hello All!
After some delay, Other Minds Magazine, Issue 21 has finally been published. You can find it under this link.

Inside its 117 pages, you will find the following content:
  • Fineprint: All the legal stuff.
  • Table of Content: Overview of what you can fin in here.
  • Editorial: Some ramblings of your editor about the current Issue and other related stuff.
  • The Road Goes Ever On: What is out there on our favourite topic.
  • Inside Information: Some news (recent and not-so-recent) on Middle-earth gaming and lore topics.
  • The History of Mount Gundabad: Thoughts on the relation of the orcs with this iconic place. It is an updated version of an article previously published in Other Hands Magazine.
  • MERP-TOR Conversion Rules: Guidelines to convert MERP player characters to TOR heroes.
  • The History of Angmar: A review of the sources about Angmar and suggestions for the historical development of this realm of the Witch-king.
  • Midle-earth in miniature V: The Orcs: Good research about the outlook of orcs and fitting miniatures on the market in relation to the source analysis.
  • The Missing Kids of Bree: A short adventure designed for beginners with the TOR (The One Rings) game system.
  • Creatures of Middle-earth: Werewolves (S. Gaur): Background and games stats for "classic" werewolves for use with MERP, TOR and AME.
  • Clash of the Viglundings: Adventure for use with TOR which revolves around the final fate of these Northmen from the Northern Vales.
Have fun with the content of this Issue and feel free to ask any questions or leave comments either here or on our Facebook page (see below for link).
Please also take note that there are likely still some errors (either typos or content-related) contained in this first file. Actually, we have already been pointed to some and around early October we will publish an update fixing all these issues.
Please contact us for anything you might sppot. Experience has shown that despite several stages of proofreading there is always something that slips through. At least we will hunt it down and eliminate it from the final file :)

For the OM team
Thomas
---

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:38 pm

You can download the Issue under this link.
I'm having trouble getting this link to work, even when I removed the "/view" part of the URL...

Edit: nevermind I managed to get it work by going to the link for #21 and then downloading #20 from there :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm
I'm having trouble getting this link to work, even when I removed the "/view" part of the URL...

Edit: nevermind I managed to get it work by going to the link for #21 and then downloading #20 from there :)
Strange. I just tried it myself and it brought me to the folder of OM21, where you click a second time for the download. Or where you looking for #20? The link you quoted was for #21 :

Best
Thomas

EDIT: I saw you looked for #20 indeed. I'll check the link :)
EDIT 2: The link worked fine for me as well. I just have to click a second time for the file.
---

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:37 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Strange. I just tried it myself and it brought me to the folder of OM21, where you click a second time for the download. Or where you looking for #20? The link you quoted was for #21 :

Best
Thomas

EDIT: I saw you looked for #20 indeed. I'll check the link :)
EDIT 2: The link worked fine for me as well. I just have to click a second time for the file.
Yeah its all working now. Must have been just a temporary glitch! Nice magazine! :))

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am

Downloaded! Great!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “Middle-earth”