Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the next D&D Book

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the next D&D Book

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:29 pm

We speculated on what this book would be in this thread. Now the cover has been released.

Amazon has the following info:
Amazon wrote:Explore the waves above and the fathoms below in these watery adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

“D&D acolytes are everywhere...Tech workers from Silicon Valley to Brooklyn have long-running campaigns, and the showrunners and the novelist behind ‘Game of Thrones’ have all been Dungeon Masters.”—Neima Jahromi, The New Yorker

Ghosts of Saltmarsh brings classic adventures into fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. This adventure book combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic “U” series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of Dungeon Magazine: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation, Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, The Styes.

• Ghosts of Salt Marsh includes a variety of seafaring adventures, enough to take characters from level 1 to level 12.

• This supplement introduces the port town of Saltmarsh, the perfect starting point for a nautical campaign.

• Each adventure can be played individually, inserted into your ongoing game or combined into a single epic nautical campaign.

• Dungeon Masters will find rules for ships and sea travel, deck plans for various vessels, an appendix with rules for new and classic monsters, and much more.

• Dungeons & Dragons is the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Created in 1974, D&D transformed gaming culture by blending traditional fantasy with miniatures and wargaming.
Available for preorder now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786966750/

Edit 1: It is speculated that this book will include a revised version of the rules found in the free PDF Of Ships and the Sea

Edit 2: The Isle of the Abbey from Dungeon #34 was originally a Mystara adventure discussed here.

Edit3: There's more info on this book in this Youtube Interview with Kate Welch who was part of the design team.

"We have isolated [Saltmarsh] from [Greyhawk] so ut can be dropped into any setting". Not sure if that means all references to GH have been removed.

Edit 4: Ghosts of Saltmarsh written by Kobold Press team

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the next D&D Book

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Awesome sauce! That is an auto-buy for me ! The cover is beautiful.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:03 pm
Isle of the Abbey.... where have I seen that title before..?
:shock: :ugeek: :cool:

So, this is now a Mystara adventure ?

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 am

Do we know if the U adventures will be set in Greyhawk?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 am

Yup, this looks like a must-have if I ever run a 5E Freeport game!

(And I fervently hope it's better than Legendary Games' Pirate Campaign Compendium, which I'm reading now. It's easily my biggest Kickstarter disappointment to date.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am

Whats the Over/Under on the betting pool that they will somehow tie all of Saltmarsh to the Forgotten Realms?

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm

My guess is GoS will briefly introduce Greyhawk, but will include sections on how to incorporate the town and the adventures into existing worlds (like it has already been done with earlier adventures).
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't see any reason why it would have to be Greyhawk at all. The town of Saltmarsh has already been ported to 3E (in Dungeon Master's Guide II), which is ostensibly "Greyhawk lite", but is really pretty generic, something you could drop into any campaign setting without much interface with the surroundings. I pretty much agree with Apotheot on this, it'll be "Forgotten Realms lite" now, while changing very little about it otherwise.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:09 pm

There's more info on this book in this Youtube Interview with Kate Welch who was part of the design team.

"We have isolated [Saltmarsh] from [Greyhawk] so ut can be dropped into any setting". Not sure if that means all references to GH have been removed.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 pm

EDIT: Ninjad by Havard! :lol:
shesheyan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 am
Do we know if the U adventures will be set in Greyhawk?
Kate Walsh has spoken to D&D Beyond about Ghosts of Saltmarsh:

She says they have picked up Saltmarsh and isolated it and turned it into a place you can use with whatever campaign setting you are running.

(So there might be a sidebar to allow the other adventures to be used in Saltmarsh in Greyhawk. But even if there is not, there shouldn't be anything blocking you from using the rules in Greyhawk.)

She also says there are rules that make the book worth buying, even if you don't want to use the seven adventures.

There are rules for extreme weather conditions and ramming ships into other ships.

Ships themselves have statblocks. (I'm not sure how this would compare to Spelljammer's stats and the stats in the Mystara product with ships in.)

EDIT: She says there are 10 or 12 ships in the book (not sure why she didn't have the exact number). We may be able to expect playmats or even 3D ship models to go with these ships.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:20 pm

apotheot wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am
Whats the Over/Under on the betting pool that they will somehow tie all of Saltmarsh to the Forgotten Realms?
I'm expecting a Forgotten Realms sidebar...or a "How to use this in Forgotten Realms section in an appendix.

They want to pitch this book to fans of campaign settings other than Forgotten Realms, so if a few paragraphs can get Greyhawk fans to hand over their cash, I'd expect to see a sidebar for that world too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 pm
EDIT: She says there are 10 or 12 ships in the book (not sure why she didn't have the exact number). We may be able to expect playmats or even 3D ship models to go with these ships.
Typically, people at Wizards are working six to eight months ahead of whatever is being released. So a designer is elbows-deep in the next book when the current one is on its way to Amazon and your FLGS. If she did not work on the "ships" part of the book, Ms. Walsh may very well not know precisely how many ships made the cut. It's like Jeremy Crawford -- the RULES guy -- always has to check his copy of the official books, because he has to be sure to get the rule they went with in print, rather than any number of playtest-versions that might have stuck in his memory, and hadn't been polished enough for print.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Will WotC's Next Book "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" Be a Missed Opportunity to Pay Homage to Dave Arneson, Master of Naval D&D Adventures?

I look at Dave Arneson's early Naval and Undersea adventures in my latest blog article, inspired by this thread :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Will WotC's Next Book "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" Be a Missed Opportunity to Pay Homage to Dave Arneson, Master of Naval D&D Adventures?

I look at Dave Arneson's early Naval and Undersea adventures in my latest blog article, inspired by this thread :)

-Havard
Anything is possible I suppose, but I'd expect to see pigs doing the backstroke in pea soup before that happens.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 am

Today in my FLGS there is a giant plastic model of a sailing ship called the Fallen Star, which is an explicitly branded D&D product (presumably designed as "terrain" for placing your miniatures during a shipboard adventure). It seems likely there's some connection here.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:23 am

willpell wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 am
Today in my FLGS there is a giant plastic model of a sailing ship called the Fallen Star, which is an explicitly branded D&D product (presumably designed as "terrain" for placing your miniatures during a shipboard adventure). It seems likely there's some connection here.
AH! I saw it too at my FLGS. Not a coincidence for sure.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 am

The Raging Owlbear blog found another clue: a reference to the Azure Sea.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 pm
Ships themselves have statblocks. (I'm not sure how this would compare to Spelljammer's stats and the stats in the Mystara product with ships in.)
The stat blocks will almost certainly be a more polished version of the recent Unearthed Arcana article "Of Ships and the Sea." Welch's comments about ship stats, naval combat, and shipboard roles seems to confirm that.

In one of the last episodes of Mike Mearls' Happy Fun Hour (which seems to have ended in December?) he indicated that they were developing other kinds of vehicles rules, too. Welch mentions that here in passing, too.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

I wouldn't mind a Greyhawk name drop by WotC, :mrgreen: but with all the massive & ongoing changes they've done to the FR over the years, I'm afraid to see what damage they could possibly do to the Flanaess for 5th after being absent for a few editions, if they pursue a Greyhawk campaign resurrection. :|

(Off-Topic Rant: If they would only leave it as a static place-holder for individual DMs to do what they wish, instead of forcing them to follow a rail-roaded narrative that everyone else must blindly follow, that would be much better. Give us the choice!) :ugeek:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm
(Off-Topic Rant: If they would only leave it as a static place-holder for individual DMs to do what they wish, instead of forcing them to follow a rail-roaded narrative that everyone else must blindly follow, that would be much better. Give us the choice!) :ugeek:
I'm not sure how much Greyhawk influenced the 13th Age designers, but you essentially described the default setting for the game.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm
I'm not sure how much Greyhawk influenced the 13th Age designers, but you essentially described the default setting for the game.
It's been years since I've read the original Saltmarsh series of 'modules'. LOL. I think that might be my project for this weekend. I might even see what I could possibly convert to 5th edition on my own, just for gits & shiggles. ;)

I'll take notes then measure it against what Stan Shinn did for his 3-9 page 'conversion' at DM's Guild for an honest play-by-play and see if it was worth the few $$ they charge for it there.

I never, ever ran 'modules' as written, (even The Keep on the Borderlands or Isle of Dread bitd, as they were sandboxes that could go in any direction...) so there is a good possibility that I'd never need to buy another product from WotC for 5th ed again, as long as they keep regurgitating the old classics. :|
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ghosts of Saltmarsh Screen and FR Map Previews

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 pm

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/429 ... e-releases

If you havent seem them already, take a look at the art gallery for these products from GaleForce9 which link to Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Not sure if the illustrations can tell us more about the contents of the adventure?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh Screen and FR Map Previews

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 pm
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/429 ... e-releases

If you havent seem them already, take a look at the art gallery for these products from GaleForce9 which link to Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Not sure if the illustrations can tell us more about the contents of the adventure?

-Havard
I'll put in an order for the DM Screen. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”