Thunder Rift for Mystaran Characters

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Morfie
Metamorph

Thunder Rift for Mystaran Characters

Post by Morfie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 am

I've got a bunch of 1st level Mystaran characters, but each one is from a different country in the Known World, using GAZ material. They don't currently know each other.

I'd like for them to start off in Thunder Rift and continue in there until they escape.

I've never actually played through any TR modules before. How would you suggest I get these characters into Thunder Rift?

I couldn't see any obvious link. It seems to me TR is really for characters that are from there, story wise.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Thunder Rift for Mystaran Characters

Post by Sturm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am

In recent discussions on the TR subforum and Threshold issue #20, I supposed a good location for Thunder Rift, which has many english/celtic sounding names, could be Skothar near former Blackmoor, which also had english/celtic names and the presence of dwarves and elves.
If you go with such an hypothesis, ancient blackmoor devices could be the plot excuse to bring the PCs to Thunder Rift. Also the Comeback Inn could work.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Morfie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 am
How would you suggest I get these characters into Thunder Rift?

I couldn't see any obvious link. It seems to me TR is really for characters that are from there, story wise.
Are you talking of some sort of vortex (or similar plot device) that sucks up a bunch of people from across the Known World and drops them into Thunder Rift? :?

Have you ever seen the UK TV series The Prisoner? That is a modern TV show, set in the 1960s rather than a fantasy show, but it starts off with a guy who resigns from a government job, who gets followed home, gassed and kidnapped (during the title sequence). He wakes up in a duplicate of his house on a mysterious island (and spends the rest of the show trying to figure out who is running the place).

I suppose you could take some elements of that, and give them a fantasy twist, with your PCs all waking up together in Thunder Rift. But your PCs might get obsessed over who took sent them to Thunder Rift and overlook whatever it is you would like them to do in Thunder Rift, while they search for a mysterious BBEG they are convinced is secretly running the place. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Why are your Mystaran PC's in Thunder Rift? What role does Thunder Rift play in your "big picture" view of your gaming world? Once you've answered those 2 questions, figure out why the various PC's Immortals might want/need them in Thunder Rift. Now you've just answered your OP.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:50 pm

Escape from Zanzer's Dungeon, the intro adventure to the Big Black Box version of D&D, would work: the PCs all wake up in a cell together, with splitting headaches of one sort or another, and have to figure out how to bust out, gathering equipment as they go...
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks all, I think I have this figured out now..

So..

1. The Black Eagle Baron and Bargle receive a vision from some sort of seer (cleric) that the PC's will overthrow them. (I don't think using Immie's would be a suitable plot device for 1st level chars).

2. Using the "Toy's Of The Madman" scenario from GAZ1, the PC's are identified and teleported (using an Ancient Blackmoor Device that teleports without error anyone unseen) into Zanzer's Dungeon in the Thunder Rift valley. The BEB doesn't know about Thunder Rift, all he knows is that it takes his problems away.
- This dungeon appears in Black Box (1991) and 1106 The Classic D&D Game (1994). Both are very difficult to obtain these days though as neither are on dmsguild yet. :roll:
- the Zanzer Tam name appears to me to be a semi-anagram of Mentzer (swap the a for an e, drop a z and there you have it), and perhaps inspired by FR's Szass Tam.

3. Once the PC's go through the published Thunder Rift adventures, they can then use DMR1's Escape From Thunder Rift to end up in Karameikos.

4. Here they can go through all the previously published Known World modules and eventually self-fulfill the prophecy from 1.

Return to “Thunder Rift”