Stranger Things' Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Stranger Things' Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

'Stranger Things' Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set Plays Mike Wheeler's Adventure

By Sean Fallon

At New York Toy Fair 2019, Hasbro / Wizards of the Coast unveiled something that we should have seen coming - a Stranger Things-themed Dungeons & Dragons starter set! As you will see, even experienced players will want to pick this up (and quickly).

According to the description, the starter set allows players "to experience the D&D adventure Stranger Things character Mike Wheeler created for his friends". It includes 5 Stranger Things character sheets that are based on classes used in the show (like Will the Wise and Dustin the Dwarf). It also includes two exclusive Demogorgon figures, one of which players can paint and customize. You can pre-order a copy of the set on Amazon or Entertainment Earth for $24.99 with shipping slated for May 1st, 2019. Something tells us you should secure one as soon as you can, because this is going to be a popular set. The official list of features can be found below.
  • Stranger Things themed Dungeons & Dragons: embark on an exciting Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Hunt for the Thessalhydra, "created" By the character Mike from the Netflix original series, Stranger Things
  • Great game for new Dungeon & Dragons players: whether players are new to D&D, or looking for a new adventure, this Stranger Things themed roleplaying game includes everything a group needs to PLAY
  • Detailed rules, adventure book and game dice: The exciting adventure book and colorful rulebook contain tons of information on how to play the game, strategy, and tips for players to advance a character beyond the Fifth level, plus 6 Polyhedral dice so you're ready to play
  • Stranger Things character sheets: play as a favorite stranger things character
  • Includes 2 Demogorgon figures: The game includes 2 Demogorgon figures, one that players can paint and customize

On a related note, the standard Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set is ridiculously cheap at the moment - only $9.59 on Amazon. That's 52% off the list price and good for an all-time low. Even experienced players will have fun with this adventure, and at this price there's no reason not to own it.
0comments

If you aren't a Prime member, you can also get the deal via Walmart with free 2-day shipping on orders of $35 or more. The three core D&D books are also on sale via Amazon: Player's Handbook / Monster Manual / Dungeon Master's Guide.

The Starter Set does a wonderful job of simplifying the rules and making the game approachable to new players so they can dive in and start having fun right away. The set comes with everything a new player needs: five ready-to-play characters, six dice, the adventure book Lost Mine of Phandelver, a rulebook, and a character sheet.
Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/13 ... arter-set/

I dont know, but I think the 2 Demogorgon figures are based on the monster from the show, not D&D's demogorgon, but I could be wrong?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Stranger Things' Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set

Post by timemrick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm
I dont know, but I think the 2 Demogorgon figures are based on the monster from the show, not D&D's demogorgon, but I could be wrong?
IIRC, Mike's Demogorgon mini in the show was a replica of the very first minis of the demon prince ever made, by Ral Partha or one of their imitators. (It's been a while since I saw some links to articles about it online, and am feeling too lazy to hunt them up now.) The minis shown on that product preview is one of the "real" monsters on the show. That's misleading, and is just going to confuse people (non-gamers and gamers both) even more about what a "Demogorgon" is.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

timemrick wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm
Havard wrote:
IIRC, Mike's Demogorgon mini in the show was a replica of the very first minis of the demon prince ever made, by Ral Partha or one of their imitators. (It's been a while since I saw some links to articles about it online, and am feeling too lazy to hunt them up now.) The minis shown on that product preview is one of the "real" monsters on the show. That's misleading, and is just going to confuse people (non-gamers and gamers both) even more about what a "Demogorgon" is.
Yep,
as a Mystara fan, I thought this would be a chance to get get another couple of real D&D Demogorgons. Not that I'd mind getting a mini of the monster from the show, but as you say it comes off as misleading and confusing.

Still, the box looks nice...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I hope it helps get new players into the hobby.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

See, what we need now is a Kids on Bikes or Tales from the Loop iteration, where you play the kids, and then you can play the ST Starter Set adventure, playing as kids playing as their adventurer alter-egos.....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm
See, what we need now is a Kids on Bikes or Tales from the Loop iteration, where you play the kids, and then you can play the ST Starter Set adventure, playing as kids playing as their adventurer alter-egos.....
Mind...blown.... :shock:

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:35 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm
Your Euclidean maths skills, have just broken the 4th wall down within gaming permanently. Nothing will be the same from now on. :o

Oh, the horror.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Here are some photos from an unboxing of the Stranger Things Starter Set: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... tarter-Set

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:45 pm
Here are some photos from an unboxing of the Stranger Things Starter Set: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... tarter-Set
I'm not sure why the D&D adventure uses demogorgon from the Stranger Things world. In the episode, I believe the mini was the traditional two-baboon-headed demon. So this isn't the adventure that is being played in the series?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
I'm not sure why the D&D adventure uses demogorgon from the Stranger Things world. In the episode, I believe the mini was the traditional two-baboon-headed demon. So this isn't the adventure that is being played in the series?
In the show they used a miniature that looked like the traditional version of the Demogorgon. Looks like they replaced it with the monster the kids themselves encounter. Or perhaps the entire adventure is based more on the show itself than the adventure they (supposedly) played in the show?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 am

I wonder if those demogorgons will be tied to THE Demogorgon in the general lore. If such a thing still exist in 5e, I mean.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 am
I wonder if those demogorgons will be tied to THE Demogorgon in the general lore. If such a thing still exist in 5e, I mean.
It is well and alive in the Out of the Abyss 5e adventure book and in the 5e Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes :
https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Abyss

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:30 am

I was talking about the general lore, :oops:

What is happening with those demogorgons is just the most recent case of WotC disregarding continuity. It seems that 5e is more about specific lore for a setting rather than interconective lore for all settings. Is something I miss from earlier editions.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:11 pm

As much as I like the series, I have zero interest in this product.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 am

timemrick wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm
Havard wrote:
Well the entire product is several levels of misleading. :)

You have a TV show, with young actors pretending to be kids playing with the second set from BECMI.

Then you have a 5th Edition D&D product pretending to be the product in the show. That's already misleading.

They add a bunch of fake damage to the box, to give the impression that the box is decades old, when it's a new 5e box, rather than a classic box set that is third-hand.

You have a D&D designer pretending to be the DM in the show, who was writing a BECMI adventure for his friends...

...and they throw in some low-tech looking art, to make you think a kid has drawn that...

...but the adventure is actually a modern (5e) adventure passing itself off as an old thing. :D

(I hardly think they would have brought back BECMI, with a Stranger Things tie-in. But that is what the kids would really have been playing. And a long lost BECMI boxed set, is what the box evokes.)

The thing of the mini is interesting, as it shows you where Wizards of the Coast think the mindset of Stranger Things fans are. Actually, given the big Hasbro logo, which I don't see on other D&D stuff, maybe some executive at Hasbro decided they wanted this product pushed out.

Anyhoo, regardless of who was making the decisions of what would sell, you clearly have two ways to go here:
  1. A D&D adventure based on the adventure that Mike's D&D game were playing in the show or
  2. A D&D adventure based around the things that the kids saw in the show, when they were not playing D&D.
The miniature is based on the second concept, so I wonder if anything in the adventure is based on actions the kids to outside of the game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Here are some photos from an unboxing of the Stranger Things Starter Set
I'll see your EN World topic...

...and raise you a YouTube video!: [Stranger Things] Nerd Immersion unboxing video.

(And I'm going to throw in a one-shot, live-streamed Stranger Things D&D game.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:39 pm

I think it's interesting that WotC isn't mentioning this product on their D&D podcast. They're hyping Ghosts of Saltmarsh and a series of upcoming children's books each week, but this boxed set isn't being talked about. Perhaps this is related to the big Hasbro logo, and some difference between the team that created this product and the usual D&D team there.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:09 pm

Yeah, I saw the unboxing video on youtube the other day … interesting that it's out but not supposed to be out for another month or so. I thought about going to my local GameStop to see if they had one, but I already have one on order through my local game store and I'd rather support them.

I agree that a re-issue of a Menzer Basic set would have been awesome, but I can see where WotC is trying to push the current edition and so I can understand why a 5E version is the thing they roll out. The monster minis look a little small, though. I guess I have this impression from the show that the Demogorgon thingie is really big and nasty.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:30 am

What is happening with those demogorgons is just the most recent case of WotC disregarding continuity. It seems that 5e is more about specific lore for a setting rather than interconective lore for all settings. Is something I miss from earlier editions.
D&D lore doesn't totally apply to this boxed set, as it is kind of supposed to be the private D&D game of a bunch of kids from the early BECMI era.

It's a bit like the way that the fact that the are Dungeons & Dragons adaptations of Magic: The Gathering (and Warcraft and Diablo II) doesn't actually make them part of the main D&D multiverse.

In the case of the Stranger Things content, I'd say this was "simulated homebrew material". And the time-shift between the year this is supposed to have been written and the 5th Edition Era might add some sort of weirdness to the mix.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:39 pm
I think it's interesting that WotC isn't mentioning this product on their D&D podcast. They're hyping Ghosts of Saltmarsh and a series of upcoming children's books each week, but this boxed set isn't being talked about. Perhaps this is related to the big Hasbro logo, and some difference between the team that created this product and the usual D&D team there.
I think this is a Hasbro thing, rather than a Wizards of the Coast thing.

It's listed as a Hasbro product on the Hasbro Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set page on Amazon (rather than Wizards of the Coast). And they have it listed in with things like Monopoly, rather than the rest of the D&D products.

I'd say this was some sort of internal licence deal.

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:

That's not fair. WotC didn't make the TV show.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm

CommanderCrud wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:22 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:

I doubt that this boxed set will have any impact on future WotC based products. The kids in the TV show called the monster they encounter "the Demogorgon" because that was the most powerful monster they had encountered while playing D&D. Bringing this monster into D&D with the name Demogorgon is a bit weird, but I do like the Stranger Things monsters.

After watching the unboxing videos discussed in this thread, I do wonder who this boxed set is for. Most D&D 5E fans will own most of the information within the box already. The adventure looks cute, but not really something I am desperate to get, so the main thing I would be getting from this box is the miniature, which one video showed was very cheaply produced.

I do see hard core fans of the show wanting to buy this box though and hopefully it will lead some of them trying out D&D, if they aren't D&D fans already :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm
I do see hard core fans of the show wanting to buy this box though and hopefully it will lead some of them trying out D&D, if they aren't D&D fans already :)

-Havard
".... this game is nothing like what they played in the show!" :roll:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:04 pm

CommanderCrud wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:22 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:

That doesn't mean they shouldn't have to try and create a conection between this module (or any module) and the general D&D lore.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:29 pm

RobJN wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:55 pm
Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm

-Havard
".... this game is nothing like what they played in the show!" :roll:
:lol:

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”