Non-Japanese Realms

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Non-Japanese Realms

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 am

Feudal Japan and its myths have influenced many RPG fantasy products over the years. What other Asian countries would you like to see more of in RPG products when it comes to cultures, myths, legends and other influences? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Non-Japanese Realms

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Thailand, no question.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm looking for Indonesian history and fantasy.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Korea.

It's origin with the Gojoseon kingdom (Bear shifter) around 2300BC, The three Kingdoms (Goguryeo, Baekje, Shilla), Unified Shilla, Northern Kingdom period, Goryeo and then Joseon (1392-1910) is quite rich.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 am

Indonesia and the Phillipines. A wealth of tropical islands appeals to me.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 am

I'd like to see Polynesian fire dancing in an RPG someday. :)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:54 am

The Southern Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia area... in other words, the ancient kingdoms of Angkor & Champa.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 pm

China. There is so much history and mythology to work with. Plus, it's just cool

I have wanted to do something over the years, but alas I am one of the only people I know who minored in East Asian studies, and it takes more time explaining stuff than it does to actually play some times :lol:
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

jdrakeh
Goblin

Post by jdrakeh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Russia and Slavic culture, in particular, are both really awesome in terms of history and folklore. I'd looooove to see both get more representation in tabletop RPGs. I mean, GURPS Russia and Mythic Russia (for HeroQuest) are both awesome but OD&D (1974) is really my jam, so I'd love to see OSR represent. And, yes, Russia *is* part of Asia (it is also part of Europe, but to a much lesser degree in terms of geography).

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Russia might be part of Asia, but it (at least, the non-colonial parts) is not part of the Orient. The Russian far east (primorskiye etc.), and even those parts east of the Ural mountains, are really colonial in nature. It's a bit like saying that England should be considered part of the orient because it once had control of Hong Kong.

Russia and the Slavic world do need more representation, but I would argue that it's not best showcased as part of the "oriental adventures" world.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 am
Feudal Japan and its myths have influenced many RPG fantasy products over the years. What other Asian countries would you like to see more of in RPG products when it comes to cultures, myths, legends and other influences? :)
I just don't know the area well enough, but I do feel that every culture in the world has it's own stories that are just as interesting as anyone else's stories.

I know that my own country tends to put a lot of stress on Roman culture, Greek culture and Egyptian culture. I think that sort of focus leads us to overlook other cultures (including our own ancient people) and miss out on some things that are interesting both in themselves...and also as inspiration for fictional RPG nations.

I think that I'm just too uninformed here. So I would probably want to see an A-Z list of the nations in the area and then have someone look at some of the interesting moments in their history (especially old stuff like Medieval stuff).

And, what with China being so big, I think I'd like to see an A-Z list of the regions of China and maybe learn about what happened in those regions before they came together as China.

One thing that would concern me about roleplaying in the area (aside from the risk of making things a bit cheesy) is that I'm not sure how well the standard Oriental Adventues rules would work for various cultures.

If you make fantasy nations based on real-world European cultures you can use the standard D&D classes for a lot of stuff, but at some point you start to have cultural elements that are different enough that they need bespoke rules. We are already bending real-world cultures a bit to make some magic arcane and some magic divine. But can every Asian country have it's legends of magic bent that way? Would any culture have something that is so different from standard magic that it would be better to model it with another D&D thing (like psionics).

And my inexperience with various Asian geology means that I wouldn't have a clue about stuff like the quality of metal mined across the various countries. I know that Japanese sword folding was something forced on the metalsmiths, because of the quality of the metal they had access to. If some Asian countries had better or worse metal and metalsmithing methods, that would presumably make some weapons impossible to make and change the local arms race (armour vs weapon) for that geographical area.

So, I don't think I'll have too much to contribute to this topic, but I hope it highlights some of the more accessible Asian cultures and that people talk about them enough that I can learn some of the facts that underpin them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 pm

willpell wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm
Thailand, no question.
I found a Wikipedia article on the History of Thailand. It seems like there were a lot of different things going on in their past.

Which period or periods do you think a tabletop game based on Thailand should be looking at?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

jdrakeh
Goblin

Post by jdrakeh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Russia and the Slavic world do need more representation, but I would argue that it's not best showcased as part of the "oriental adventures" world.
Ah, I didn't catch the forum category (I came here from a Facebook link that didn't mention the context).

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 pm
willpell wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm
Thailand, no question.
I found a Wikipedia article on the History of Thailand. It seems like there were a lot of different things going on in their past.

Which period or periods do you think a tabletop game based on Thailand should be looking at?
I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to have any in-depth opinion. I just think it's inherently cool and bizarrely unexplored. Why we see so many pagodas in culture, and so few of those spectacular Siamese temples with the golden roofs, is beyond my ability to understand. I'm not completely sick of Japan and China, but we get so much content related to them, and the rest of the Orient has so much going on, and Thailand is my #1 pick in that respect (closely followed by Angkor Wat, which IIRC falls into modern-day Cambodia).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:54 am
The Southern Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia area... in other words, the ancient kingdoms of Angkor & Champa.
Mahasarpa uses Angkor Wat as it's campaign setting map.

But it's a pretty barebones setting, so I don't see too much Cambodian culture in it.

I was hoping that The Piazza would get a Mahasarpa subforum (at some point). Perhaps looking into Cambodian legends and mythology would be a good way to extrapolate further detail.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 am

I think that would be a good idea.

And here I had thought that my comment had killed the thread... ;)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Return to “Oriental Adventures”