[Project] Argentmantle's Topographic Mapping Style

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

[Project] Argentmantle's Topographic Mapping Style

Post by Argentmantle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Petition to remove all the mountains of Skothar!!!

I'm in the process of putting together a different map style and just noticed the huge number of mountain chain that runs along the spine of the continent.

I should have a new set of maps to show off today. The idea behind these is to be the same or similar in style from world to region to national to local in all things

Moderator Note: Changed thread title. Was: Petition & Mapping Style.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Outer World] Argentmantle's Topographic Mapping Style

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Yes, it does look a bit weird with all thuse mountains. I would assume tons of cool valleys and interesting adventure locations between the mountains :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Not as nice as I had hoped, gonna go back and tweak most or all of it.

At the end of the day, it involves a lot of 'eyeballing' the mountains. Which, I'm trying to get away from.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:33 am

AH!!!!!

Finally...

And the more artistic for interior art.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 am

My view on this is quite simple: http://www.thorfmaps.com/skothar-continental-hex-map/

The second map shows the major ridges in each range, derived from the Jurassic Earth map — which is where almost all of Mystara's (world map's) mountain ranges come from in the first place.

By the way, I love these maps! Great stuff. :D

Edit: Also of course I'm biased but I prefer the regular sized Skothar. ;)

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:27 am

Thorf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 am

Edit: Also of course I'm biased but I prefer the regular sized Skothar. ;)
I was going to say you (Argentmantle) appeared to have used the fanon-made bloated Skothar. I also prefer the regular size one that Thorf made.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 am

Morfie wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:27 am
I was going to say you (Argentmantle) appeared to have used the fanon-made bloated Skothar. I also prefer the regular size one that Thorf made.
I can't take credit for that — it's just the original one from the Master Set. ;)

It's also modelled on Eurasia, and expanding it has unintended effects on its shape, which is the real reason why I dislike the big expanded Skothar.

By the way Argentmantle you have good timing — I was just looking at the mountain ridges on the world map last night. This comes up in my Let's Map Mystara 1985 article, because I'm including the Jurassic Earth map, which has three aspects we can adapt to Mystara: the projection, the coastal shelves/ocean depths, and the mountain ridges.

I'm going to publish the article pretty soon, and the maps for 1985 include all three of these features. :mrgreen:

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:56 am

Beautiful!
I prefer instead the way Skothar looks in your map which more or less follow Thibault Sarlat early mapping of the continent based on the shape it had in the HW map. I do not like basing the continent too close on the Master Set because it creates a ocean as big as half the world where basically there is nothing canon or fan made to put into. A bigger Skothar has more room for interesting cultures as those outlined in Threshold issue #20.
That said, the Master Map is certainly easier to align with other canon maps, while the HW boxed set map has clearly wrong planet dimensions and continental shapes, hence I made my own take (which is here http://pandius.com/motrwrld.html)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Very nice work Argentmantle!
Argentmantle wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:16 pm
To remove all the mountains of Skothar!!!

I'm in the process of putting together a different map style and just noticed the huge number of mountain chain that runs along the spine of the continent.
...and...
Thorf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 am
The second map shows the major ridges in each range, derived from the Jurassic Earth map — which is where almost all of Mystara's (world map's) mountain ranges come from in the first place.
Has anyone looked at the real-world geological processes that were happening back in the Jurrasic Earth and looked at how that sort of process might still work on a planet that is actually a hollow world?

Could the Known World still have continental drift and all that other stuff going on without land needing to go in and out of the Polar Openings?

Or could the idea of things being "moved into the Hollow World" happen literally sometimes?

If you don't have that going on, how else can the Skthar mountain ranges be explained?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:26 pm

What's great is that the whole process is pretty straightforward. This was more or less a trial run for a new series of photoshop actions and techniques to get a consistent map set that works from World to Local (down to about the 1 mile per inch scale).

It's set up as like 27 photoshop actions/automatic laters and something like 19 manual steps to go from another map to this. The largest step being culling the terrain types (hills, mountains, forests, and oddities).

I'm going to plug a different map or 3 later to make sure the process holds up!

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:19 pm

It works!!!

Here is the Master Set map. I skipped painting in the deserts, forests, and dolling up the oceans. This makes it quite easy to build a good looking elevation style map, very quickly.

I think it took about 30 minutes.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Very nice!

Wow, only 30 mins? :o

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Wangalade
Hobgoblin

Post by Wangalade » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Has anyone looked at the real-world geological processes that were happening back in the Jurrasic Earth and looked at how that sort of process might still work on a planet that is actually a hollow world?

Could the Known World still have continental drift and all that other stuff going on without land needing to go in and out of the Polar Openings?

Or could the idea of things being "moved into the Hollow World" happen literally sometimes?

If you don't have that going on, how else can the Skothar mountain ranges be explained?
yeah . . . . the hollow world screws with tectonic plates and continental drift, basically it wouldn't happen. continental drift is dependent on the heat and pressure derived from the layers of superheated liquids and solids. Specifically the Athenosphere(upper Mantle) is what causes the tectonic plates to shift and expand and contract; as it is, the hollow models created by thorf just don't have a thick enough shell to support the athenosphere, and even if it did, the density of the material would have to be drastically increased to make up for the hollow center. the physics and geology of the whole situation is the main reason I'm hesitant to have the hollow world in my version of Mystara. I've been thinking about just transplanting the general cultures of the hollow world to a corresponding place in davania or skothar(nithia to Arypt). I have been searching for any scientific/pseudo-science explanation that would support the hollow world AND maintain the presence of tectonic plates, and none I have seen are remotely plausible. The closest I have come is this jewish guy who rejects western/christian science and in the process throws out gravity and explains the effects of gravity with electro-magnetism and some other weird stuff. I don't think his work is really correct or logical, but he's the only person I've seen who works through the equations and everything in a rigourously scientific manner.

So the bottom line, either the world is solid and has tectonic plates, ergo continental drift, or the world is hollow and has a static surface (therefore not being earth in the age of magic). Of course you could always say 'because magic!' and have both
The question is: how many rolls of Duck Tape are needed to hold the universe together?
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is: 42
42 Rolls of Ducktape
Web Map of Mystara

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Overall the mapping technique seems to hold up pretty well.

Big problems are replicating the altitudes correct of the mountains...

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Petition & Mapping Style

Post by Thorf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:09 am

Wangalade wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 am
Specifically the Athenosphere(upper Mantle) is what causes the tectonic plates to shift and expand and contract; as it is, the hollow models created by thorf just don't have a thick enough shell to support the athenosphere, and even if it did, the density of the material would have to be drastically increased to make up for the hollow center.
Obviously you have a point, in that by its very nature the Hollow World precludes the real life model of the Earth. However, Aaron Allston did come up with an explanation that at least explains gravity and volcanism, and could probably be extended to include plate tectonics: the magical material of the World Shield, which is basically just a way of compressing what should be the extremely thick core into a vastly thinner layer.

Whether you accept this as an explanation of course is entirely up to you, but at the very least the explanation is there in official sources. And let's face it, the whole idea of the Hollow World is so entirely beyond the realms of science that there's only so far we can go in "explaining" it anyway. ;)

One more thing: although the core is clearly not there, or rather has been hugely compressed into a very thin layer, the asthenosphere and the layers immediately below it do indeed have enough space. Checking this article at Wikipedia:

Official sources tend to give the crust as 1,200 miles, I believe. That's enough to provide Mystara with all the top layers (inside as well as out), and the top of the mantle.

My model currently has a depth of 3,414 miles, which is enough depth to provide the outer and inner worlds with the top layers plus the full mantle — everything but the core, really.

One last thing: it seems clear from Mystara's underground realms that its underworld is already vastly different from the real world's. Isn't this true of all fantasy that has people living well below the surface world? In reality, things get hotter and hotter, with more and more pressure as you go further down, do they not? Clearly this is not the case in D&D underworlds, which tend to be depicted as cold caves and caverns.

In conclusion, I'd argue that none of this really matters anyway. After all, whether or not the planet currently has plate tectonics, Mystara's mountains are clearly based on plate tectonics since they're inspired by a map of the Earth. Unsatisfactory as this may be as an in-world explanation, it's certainly rather useful to us cartographers in terms of terrain design. :D

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 am

Love these last maps. :mrgreen:
Argentmantle wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 pm
Where is this one? I can't seem to work out.
Big problems are replicating the altitudes correct of the mountains...
I don't think you need to worry about that too much at this scale. Zooming in, on the other hand...

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 am

It does, this is a very low res version of the map. The 300 DPI version is a bit better than 1500 px for forum size.

The map started from the regional map around Slagovich. Its the tip of the Black Mountains along the coast.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:36 am

Argentmantle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 am
The map started from the regional map around Slagovich. Its the tip of the Black Mountains along the coast.
Thanks! Now I see it. I guess this shows just how little I'm used to seeing Mystara in this way.

I'd definitely want to go in and do some development on the zoomed in maps.

Would you mind sharing some details of the conversion process you're using here?

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 am

And a section of Slagovich...

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 pm

The city of Slagovich!!!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

This looks amazing! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Going into Threshold in its full glory!!!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:33 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 pm
Wow, only 30 mins? :o
That's amazingly fast!

Is that just rendering time?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Great maps, Argentmantle!
GP

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed May 01, 2019 9:05 pm

Argentmantle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 pm

The city of Slagovich!!!
Wow
Great work Argentmatle. really :o :mrgreen:

I imagine many cities deserving such a treatment. :ugeek:
Some might be already Fan created or even (partially) canon, yet I assume this be best to do with all the major cities
And then post all these in a lexicon on Pandius. :geek:
It would be a great resource to all Mystara fans;) :lol: :mrgreen:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Geographical Mapping”