[MCU] Your Top 10 Favorite Films?

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[MCU] Your Top 10 Favorite Films?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:23 pm

The 10 films I compulsively watch when they are broadcasted on local cable tv.

In chronological order :
- Iron Man (2008)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Ant-Man (2015)
- Doctor Strange (2016)
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [MCU] Your Top 10 Favorite Films?

Post by agathokles » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Uhm, I think my favourite is The Winter Soldier. Iron Man, Avengers, Thor: The Dark World, and The Incredible Hulk I've seen multiple times. I haven't seen and therefore don't have an opinion yet on Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther.

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Winter Soldier is still my favorite. Not sure what I'd rank for the other nine, though the first Guardians would probably be #2 or very close.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Top five, in no particular order: Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Guardians 1, Civil War, Infinity War

Top ten, in no particiular order: The above + Endgame, Iron Man 1, Spider-Man 1, Thor 1, Thor 3

I consider all of these movies solid though, even the ones that didnt make it to the top 10 of my list are really good.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:01 pm

I have to say, for the most part, I liked all the first-run MCU films: Iron Man was the best of the three. The only sequel I liked better than the original was Winter Soldier. I like that their take on Spider Man skipped most of the tired re-telling of the story that we've been slogging through since Spider-Toby. I also liked Whedon's Avenger's movies
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:57 am

Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Hulk (2003)
Community (2009-2015)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Jessica Jones (2015-2019)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Captain Marvel (2019)
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:40 am

This is like choosing a favorite child...

1. Thor 3
2. Endgame
3. Doctor Strange
4. Infinity War
5. Civil War
6. Avengers 1
7. Guardians 1
8. Ant man
9. Spider Man
10. Guardians 2
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 pm

It's been a while since I did a top 10, so here goes....

Whoops, my battery's dying, will finish later.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:57 am
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Hulk (2003)
Community (2009-2015)
Um, either I'm missing something or you are. This is about Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, which includes everything from Marvel Studios, and I believe nothing else with the sole exception of Spider-Man Homecoming (made by Sony but as an explicit MCU tie-in). While Hulk and arguably Conan are Marvel characters, these aren't MCU movies, just as the X-Men series, the Sam Raimi Spider-Mans, and Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 are not. (Hulk does have an MCU movie, 2008's "The Incredible Hulk", and of course he's in all the Avengers movies, other than Captain America Civil War which is an Avengers film in all but name). So if you were making some clever joke, it went over my head.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks for explaining that. With that in mind, here is a revised list of my top ten favorite MCU movies.

Pulp Fiction (1993)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
Unbreakable (2000)
Attack of the Clones (2002)
The Incredibles (2003)
Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Snakes on a Plane (2006)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
Glass (2019)
Captain Marvel (2019)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed May 01, 2019 7:10 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 pm
It's been a while since I did a top 10, so here goes....
I will forcibly limit myself to one line of text per movie, unless anyone wants me to expand on any of these opinions.

01 - Iron Man (the one that started it all, and still an unparalleled masterpiece, my #4 or so movie of all time, particularly for its music).
02 - Doctor Strange (the mind-blowing capstone to a banner year in movies IMO, as beautiful as Warcraft and as cool as Deadpool).
03 - Guardians of the Galaxy (a massive improvement on the original, which most people like but which was just okay by my standards).
04 - Captain America: Civil War (already one of my favorites, I've been liking it more and more with every additional bit thought and study).
05 - Thor: Ragnarok (while a bit sillier than I tend to prefer, it's still an incredibly fun romp filled with eye candy, with the best score since Iron Man).
06 - Avengers: Endgame (though massively over-hyped, this film was definitely still a fine capstone for the franchise, successful on most levels).
07 - Black Panther (I wasn't into the racial politics around this film's marketing, but the film itself lacks this problem and was quite enjoyable).
08 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (I'm not a CapAm fanboy or anything, but this was the first MCU sequel to improve on its predecessor).
09 - Thor (I still can't believe they played this character straight and nobody blinked, but this very grounded story makes a great introduction).
10 - The Incredible Hulk (honestly I should probably put Avengers 1 here, but I've seen it only once or twice, so it lacks the familiarity I enjoy here).

Honorable mention to Spider-Man Homecoming, which is an MCU film but not a Marvel Studios production, if I understand correctly. I omit it from the main list, not because of this quibble, but because it's a film I actively have trouble enjoying as much as I should. It probably beats out "Endgame" on this list in terms of my appreciation for it, and would push the rest of them down (evicting Hulk and/or the first Avengers), except that it's a movie that's almost "so good it's bad" to me, its objective quality making me kind of subjectively disconnect from it, like a beautiful antique chair that I find myself not wanting to actually sit in. This impulse will probably go away as I rewatch the film again and again in future (as alluded to in #10, the familiarity factor is a pretty big part of what influences my liking these flicks), but for now it's a good enough excuse to mention an 11th film in my top 10 list.

lookatroopa
Goblin

Post by lookatroopa » Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 pm

I think Spider-Man Homecoming is the only actual MCU film I've seen, so, that one ten times I guess.

Blade's pretty good.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 01, 2019 10:50 pm

lookatroopa wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 pm
Blade's pretty good.
Blade isn't officially part of the MCU, but there is talk bout bringing him into the MCU. Popular opinion is that people would like to see the past films do count as part of the MCU and the "origin" of the character.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu May 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Given that past films have included contradictory versions of the canon, that could never work. The Ang Lee movie Hulk is only five years prior to Incredible Hulk (which is still canon, even if Marvel Studios kind of wants everyone to forget about it; we have no other backstory for the Mark Ruffalo version of Bruce Banner, so Edward Norton's character in Incredible is legit the same person as far as MS is concerned). Blade might be possible to bring in, but what could they possibly do with the Punisher, or Ghost Rider (who might still be owned by a different studio anyway)?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Actually Ghost Rider appears in Agents of SHIELD, so he's definitely in.
G

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 am

agathokles wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 pm
G
Unfortunately while the TV shows have treated the Movies as canon, the Movies have completely ignored all of the modern TV shows.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 am

willpell wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:18 pm
Given that past films have included contradictory versions of the canon, that could never work. The Ang Lee movie Hulk is only five years prior to Incredible Hulk (which is still canon, even if Marvel Studios kind of wants everyone to forget about it; we have no other backstory for the Mark Ruffalo version of Bruce Banner, so Edward Norton's character in Incredible is legit the same person as far as MS is concerned).
Not at all..
IGN: I was wondering, can you absolutely confirm that Ang Lee's Hulk movie is not canon, because there was just the news today about Adrian Pasdar playing Glenn Talbot in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Feige: Well, look, I would say that is not MCU canon, but when we made The Incredible Hulk, we didn't want to tell the origin story again, because we thought people were so familiar with it, which is why we didn't tell that. But you saw the way in which he was exposed to the gamma radiation in Ang Lee's version from the way you saw Bruce Banner was in the opening title sequence of The Incredible Hulk. So they're different. One reason we made Incredible Hulk was to get Hulk into the MCU canon.
willpell wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:18 pm
Blade might be possible to bring in, but what could they possibly do with the Punisher, or Ghost Rider (who might still be owned by a different studio anyway)?
Punisher and Ghost Rider have been brought into the TV series. Ghost Rider was in Agents of SHIELD, and Punisher was in Daredevil before getting its own TV series. Both of these characterisations appeared to be more well received than their movies.
Last edited by Morfie on Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 am

Morfie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 am
agathokles wrote:
G
Unfortunately while the TV shows have treated the Movies as canon, the Movies have completely ignored all of the modern TV shows.
TV series are produced after the movies, so that is unavoidable.

G

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am

agathokles wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 am
Morfie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 am
agathokles wrote:
G
TV series are produced after the movies, so that is unavoidable.

G
There is an element of that, but Agents of SHIELD has now been going since 2013. Allegedly, Kevin Feige wasn't too happy with the TV show bringing Agent Coulson back to life.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks for explaining that. With that in mind, here is a revised list of my top ten favorite MCU movies.

Pulp Fiction (1993)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
Unbreakable (2000)
Attack of the Clones (2002)
The Incredibles (2003)
Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Snakes on a Plane (2006)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
Glass (2019)
Captain Marvel (2019)
:lol:

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm

1. Iron Man
2. Infinity War
3. Endgame
4. Thor
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Ant-Man
9. Ant-Man & the Wasp
10. Iron Man 2

I've collected nearly all of the Marvel movies since Toby's Spider-Man kicked off modern Marvel movies in the 90's. Some were good, some were bad, a few were pitifully unwatchable. To my knowledge, I've seen all but four. One I will never get to see, (although some profess to have seen it, despite it dead & buried for all time, let alone HAVE a copy of it - and that's okay - you keep it.) and the other three I'll not watch. (Not that I tried to watch one of them once several years ago at a friend's house who happened to have that particular - I just couldn't get into it as it was yet another reboot.)

(Tropic Thunder & Adventures in Babysitting almost made the list!) ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm
One I will never get to see, (although some profess to have seen it, despite it dead & buried for all time, let alone HAVE a copy of it - and that's okay - you keep it.)
I'm guessing that was the Roger Corman Fantastic 4? I can't think of any other "lost" Marvel movies.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm
One I will never get to see, (although some profess to have seen it, despite it dead & buried for all time, let alone HAVE a copy of it - and that's okay - you keep it.)
I'm guessing that was the Roger Corman Fantastic 4? I can't think of any other "lost" Marvel movies.
That would be the one. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Even though it's legendarily bad, I would want to see it, just to know for myself exactly what went wrong. I similarly wish I could see the original director's cut for Fan4stic, which is supposed to have been much better, but which at least two members of the production said Fox will never allow anyone to see.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Even though it's legendarily bad, I would want to see it, just to know for myself exactly what went wrong. I similarly wish I could see the original director's cut for Fan4stic, which is supposed to have been much better, but which at least two members of the production said Fox will never allow anyone to see.
I think what went wrong was the script, acting and spfx. That's pretty much the whole thing. Of course, I base this on hearsay, not from actually have seen anything aside from an internet rumor from years ago. :lol:

For me, and I include what you say about the Corman FF version too, is that they are only relevant if they do something different that the Gruffudd/Evans/Alba/Chicklis/McMahan (GEACM) offerings DON'T. What FF2 messed up was handling Galactus. I'd still love to see a FF film go after that guy. :cool:

Origin story? Covered in GEACM's first FF movie. Didn't need the Fant4stic movie, since it was just a reboot and far differently than it needed to be. Corman's version? It was technically the first origin story of the FF, but unless the FF went after the Mole Men, Blastaar, or Galactus I'm just not interested.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 04, 2019 2:39 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 pm
willpell wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 pm
I think what went wrong was the script, acting and spfx. That's pretty much the whole thing. Of course, I base this on hearsay, not from actually have seen anything aside from an internet rumor from years ago. :lol:

For me, and I include what you say about the Corman FF version too, is that they are only relevant if they do something different that the Gruffudd/Evans/Alba/Chicklis/McMahan (GEACM) offerings DON'T. What FF2 messed up was handling Galactus. I'd still love to see a FF film go after that guy. :cool:

Origin story? Covered in GEACM's first FF movie. Didn't need the Fant4stic movie, since it was just a reboot and far differently than it needed to be. Corman's version? It was technically the first origin story of the FF, but unless the FF went after the Mole Men, Blastaar, or Galactus I'm just not interested.
I have a sneaking suspicion it was Reed Richards that bought Stark/Avengers tower in NYC during Spiderman. The word Stark gave the A for Avengers, and now the A will become a 4! I know, dopey fan theory, but man do I want to see them in the MCU with Doom as the next big bad.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Return to “The Tabard Inn”