Oil

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Seethyr
Couatl

Oil

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 15, 2019 12:36 pm

World by world, is oil ever a thing? I mean, we have an Underdark that delves into these territories and I never hear about it. Which worlds had a carbon rich forest environment at some point?

I ask because I’m trying to work out an area where dragons battling ankhegs have caused an “eternal flame” of sorts to spring from the ground.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Oil

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Bitumen , tar pit and oil sand are known forms of surface deposits of petroleum so that could be one direction to look at.

Dark Sun likely have several such deposit by their history. And Bitumen was used for mummification, so an "Egyptian" culture might have access to some, so would "Chinese" and "Arabic" culture as both historically was able to extract and/or refine it early enough.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed May 15, 2019 1:14 pm

I am sure oil occasionally gets mentioned in articles for D&D - so Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms etc., however you may not need it - coal mine fires can also burn for decades and coal is most definitely a feature of standard fantasy worlds.

Just checked Wikipedia - coal seam fires tend to be underground and can burn for thousands of years... Forget decades, though i expect the surface fires don't burn for as long.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Enormous tar pits are found in the Isle of Dread in Mystara, and are used by the natives.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:14 pm
I am sure oil occasionally gets mentioned in articles for D&D - so Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms etc., however you may not need it - coal mine fires can also burn for decades and coal is most definitely a feature of standard fantasy worlds.

Just checked Wikipedia - coal seam fires tend to be underground and can burn for thousands of years... Forget decades, though i expect the surface fires don't burn for as long.
Centralia, PA might be a small fire, and its only been going since '62.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. I’m surprised there hasn’t been “oil deposit” as a hazard in underdark supplements in the past. This also has implications for FR history comsidering it virtually guarantees the world had a Carboniferous period which, as far as I know, has not been mentioned elsewhere.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm assuming the main use for oil in a fantasy world would be lamp oil? Tar might be used for ships and such of course.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed May 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm
I'm assuming the main use for oil in a fantasy world would be lamp oil? Tar might be used for ships and such of course.

-Havard
Don't forget dumping the boiling stuff down on pesky armies attacking your keep!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I figured most of the oil used for lamps came from whale oil, up until this discussion.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm
I figured most of the oil used for lamps came from whale oil, up until this discussion.
I think the source varied greatly depending on local supplies. Areas with natural oil used wells, other areas used whales (if they could kill them) or other oily fish. Some probably used vegetable oils and others animal fats.

Until I did some checking for this post I assumed none came from mineral oil prior to the industrial revolution except where tar pits existed, it turns out that ancient Babylon had oil wells (similar to water wells)...
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm
I think the source varied greatly depending on local supplies. Areas with natural oil used wells, other areas used whales (if they could kill them) or other oily fish. Some probably used vegetable oils and others animal fats.

Until I did some checking for this post I assumed none came from mineral oil prior to the industrial revolution except where tar pits existed, it turns out that ancient Babylon had oil wells (similar to water wells)...
Very interesting. So there is precedent - and it wouldn’t be abnormal for regular oil use. I could see it being quite a common substance among dwarves, particularly duergar.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 pm

The eternal flames of places like Centralia are produced by coal, not oil. Not a huge difference there, since both are derived from ancient dead plants, but to the best of my knowledge, being solid rather than liquid is what allows a fire to burn indefinitely.

jdrakeh
Goblin

Post by jdrakeh » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Something like crude oil exists in one of my worlds. But it's alive. And, also, can control the minds of sapient beings whom it is in close contact with. Have you ever seen that old horror movie, The Stuff? It's like that (except you don't have to eat it). Blame Scott Lininger, as The Stage (for his system The Window) planted this seed.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm
Thanks everyone for the info. I’m surprised there hasn’t been “oil deposit” as a hazard in underdark supplements in the past. This also has implications for FR history comsidering it virtually guarantees the world had a Carboniferous period which, as far as I know, has not been mentioned elsewhere.
The Underdark below the Sundered Empire (that's a the Greyhawk subsetting - Chainmail - rather than Forgotten Realms) has something called Hissing Pools that cause instant death if you fall into them.

I asked about those and BlackBat242 gave some real world examples of where gasses came up from below the ground and got stored in pools of water.

I saw a science thing about distillation of petroleum products once and they had a number of them ranging from aircraft fuel to bitumen. So, instead of looking at oil as a thing, you might be able to look at it as a number of things that appear naturally or things that are manufactured.

I think that a black river of undrinkable water that sticks to creatures and kills them could be a good way to go with this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:36 pm
I ask because I’m trying to work out an area where dragons battling ankhegs have caused an “eternal flame” of sorts to spring from the ground.
Metallic dragons are all associated with precious metals (even if they are not specifically made from those metals). Perhaps black dragons could be associated with tar or some other oil-related substance and other coloured dragons could be associated with other natural materials that share their specific colours. :idea:

Come to think of it, dragon breath weapons all have specific forms. I've had a couple of chat with AuldDragon where he has said that spell components are often associated with the effect of the magic.

I wonder if there are any petrolium byproducts (or natural derivatives of oil) that act like a black dragon's line of acid attack.

The black dragon ability to Corrupt Water would seem to fit in well with oil pollution.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 pm

jdrakeh wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm
Something like crude oil exists in one of my worlds. But it's alive. And, also, can control the minds of sapient beings whom it is in close contact with. Have you ever seen that old horror movie, The Stuff? It's like that (except you don't have to eat it). Blame Scott Lininger, as The Stage (for his system The Window) planted this seed.
I've not seen The Stuff, but it sounds similar to the black liquid monster that killed the original security officer in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 pm
jdrakeh wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm
I've not seen The Stuff, but it sounds similar to the black liquid monster that killed the original security officer in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
There was also a “Creepshow” movie from what I remember, that has an oil slick that dissolved a few skinny dippers. Horrified me as a kid.

That gets me to wondering if you could connect oil to the black pudding.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 18, 2019 6:15 am

Seethyr wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:04 pm
There was also a “Creepshow” movie from what I remember, that has an oil slick that dissolved a few skinny dippers. Horrified me as a kid.
I recently watched the Creepshow 2 movie for the first time, and can confirm this. One of the more interesting and macabre skits from the movie.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am

Seethyr wrote:
It would certainly make sense to knock up a list of monsters that might be found in the same area that oil was found in.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 am

A cross of Ocre Jelly and Green Slime - the Petroleum Jelly?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 am

The Dragon's Den boxset adventure Wild Dragon Den has lizardmen using impure oil from tar pools in crude sandstone bowls for lighting. On pg. 6 of that adventure Location #2. The Tar Pools, 2nd paragraph states: The oil on the surface is impure and thus cannot be used like flasks of oil; it will, however, burn feebly as a light source. (This is the oil in the sandstone lamps found throughout the complex.) And Hakra, the dragon in the adventure, is a Black Dragon so there's 2 monsters that can be listed in the same area as Tar/Oil Pools/Fields.

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Tue May 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am
Seethyr wrote:
It would certainly make sense to knock up a list of monsters that might be found in the same area that oil was found in.
Oil gels are well known in chemistry. So assuming that black puddings are akin to jelly fish but biologically gelling oil rather than water makes good sense, also in terms of their combustability.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”