Nentir Vale -- Common Knowledge and Rumors

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Veilheim
Goblin

Nentir Vale -- Common Knowledge and Rumors

Post by Veilheim » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Hail all,

I'm preparing an NV campaign centered around Fallcrest. Its my first real foray into NV, and in the spirit of classic play, I'm trying to establish what everyone would know and what only select folks would know about the vale, it's history, and currently interesting activities.

Has anyone done this already? Anything you can share? If not, what are some things everyone would know about the Vale and perhaps a couple of things only a few people would know? Any widely believed but patently false knowledge?

Thanks in advance!
-V

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Nentir Vale -- Common Knowledge and Rumors

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri May 17, 2019 5:23 pm

I have done this for my campaign, so I'll gladly help you (as soon as I'm home). I have a question, though. Are you using the default Nentir Vale setting (with background elements such as Nerath, Arkhosia and Bael Turath)? Which sourcebooks do you use? Because my campaign is based in stuff from the Monster Vaults, the Reavers of Harkenwold and Madness of Gardmore Abbey and the Adventure Sites books alongside with the basic info from the DMG and the H modules.

I can gladly remove from my stuff anything from these sources before sharing it, if you want.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat May 18, 2019 5:16 am

Here are a few rumors you might want to incorporate. I don't have a long list, but perhaps these will help flesh out a list.
  • There was an overgod that created humanity. He's dead now, and every trace of his name has been wiped from history. [few people know]
  • Lamia – fey-eating hive-minded bugs – are the remnants of the dead goddess Sagawehn. [few people know]
  • Dungeons lie beneath the ruins of Gardmore Abbey, and conceal the hoarded wealth of the old crusading paladins. [few people know]
  • The ruined tower of the elf wizard Vanamere stands alone at the southern reach of the Cloak Wood. It contains treasures Vanamere hoarded during her adventuring career, including one of the fabled Yellow Skulls. [few people know]
  • The palace of a fey lord long ago sunk beneath Glimmer Lake. [few people know]
  • Wandering Tower can be seen in different locations of the Nentir Vale from time to time. [few people know]

Veilheim
Goblin

Post by Veilheim » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ulSInA ... p=drivesdk

Here you have some common knowledge and some other rumors as well.
Thanks Zeromaru -- most of my campaign is based on your existing work so this is terrific!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun May 19, 2019 4:25 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ulSInA ... p=drivesdk

Here you have some common knowledge and some other rumors as well.
This is a great resource. Thank you for sharing it. I'm downloading it to my hard drive now. :)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks. I've used this in my personal campaign. Is the info I give to my players in "session 0". It's what new characters know by default.

As you can see, it does has a few misconceptions (Magroth, for instance, is remembered as a hero, when he actually was a madman and a tyrant). Is what the common folk know. If players want to know more in-deep info or the truth... Well, they can uncover it while playing.

Anyways, I'm planning to update the rumors section with a few adventure hooks and few fake ones as well.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 pm
I'm planning to update the rumors section with a few adventure hooks and few fake ones as well.
Please let us know when it's updated. I'd love to download the revised version.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Updated with a few new things. I don't know how to update things with phone app, so I have re-uploaded the new version here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o7MQR9 ... p=drivesdk

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 20, 2019 3:48 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 pm
Updated with a few new things. I don't know how to update things with phone app, so I have re-uploaded the new version here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I look forward to checking it out. Thank you for sharing.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:48 am
Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 pm

I look forward to checking it out. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for putting that document up.

If you are goning to share your campaign documents (and update them) it might be worth sticking a credit section in there, to let people know who you are, what "Nentir Vale stuff" is and where people can talk to you about it. (If you don't have a blog, you could point them at this forum topic.)

Googlebot is bound to surf by and index those two PDFs. And all the interesting words in the 20 page are going to make it pop up in search results.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Nentir Vale”