PF1 split from PF2 forums?

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

PF1 split from PF2 forums?

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 am

Out of curiosity, how does The Piazza handle determining if it's appropriate to split an old edition's "crunchy bits" forum from a new one? Just thinking out loud, I'd imagine that it would require that both the previous edition and the currently supported edition see enough new post activity. Isn't that hard to measure as it's sometimes only obvious based on context? It could be tough to create search terms to distinguish what threads are 1e Pathfinder and which are 2e, for example.

How has this occurred in the past? Did D&D 5e get its own forum because the previous editions already had one, for example? Or is there a period of time where a new edition has to prove its popularity among our community? Or that an old one does?

How would the community begin the conversation around whether we should have a PF 1e and 2e forums? Do any of you have an opinion on this already, or are you waiting to see what happens among the fan base?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: PF1 split from PF2 forums?

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 am

You raise a good point.

With the D&D 5e forum, it was obvious from the playtest days that it would need its own board, and one was created within weeks of the initial playtest offerings being released (before WotC had created one on their own site in fact).

Interest in Pathfinder isn't as strong here as it is on other sites, so there wasn't such an immediate justification. However, I think, going forward, it would be useful for members to tag their threads as [PF1] or [PF2] as appropriate. That will help us gauge whether a new board needs to be made.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

pawsplay
Ogre

Post by pawsplay » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm

PF2 is very different.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 am
Interest in Pathfinder isn't as strong here as it is on other sites, so there wasn't such an immediate justification. However, I think, going forward, it would be useful for members to tag their threads as [PF1] or [PF2] as appropriate. That will help us gauge whether a new board needs to be made.
Great suggestion. I'll begin doing that. I'm curious enough about the new edition that I bought a copy of the core book, and if anything jumps out at me that I'd like to discuss, I'll tag the subject accordingly.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm

pawsplay wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm
PF2 is very different.
Completely agree. It's at least as different as a D&D edition change. You can see some of the same DNA, but it's in no way backward compatible.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Let's start by making more PF2 threads. If there is enough PF2 activity, it would be easier to justify. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 pm
Let's start by making more PF2 threads. If there is enough PF2 activity, it would be easier to justify. :)
Certainly. I like the idea of using a tag in the subject, so they're easy to spot/query later.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am

A good idea theoretically, but there are also MANY topics in Pathfinder about Golarion, that are about the setting and not specifically the PF1 rules.

Golarion is still a part of PF2, so to do it justice you would need 1 forum about PF rules, a 2nd forum about PF 2 rules, and a 3rd forum about Golarion.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:31 am

So tag them [PF1]. [PF2], and/or [Golarion].
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:31 am
So tag them [PF1]. [PF2], and/or [Golarion].
This seems a bit much, i would just use [PF1] or [PF2} if the content is specific to the mechanics of a given edition. If its generic, IE could apply to either, i would just not tag it at all. That being said, i would rather not see it get its own forum, since it will just further divide the user base here, which isn't super big for Pathfinder.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”