The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Gold Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles »

Consider that they'll likely use magic -- we have previous experience of enemies teleporting into a stronghold, as well as changing shapes.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Streets of Specularum
Scene LXXIV - Styrlen Yarthmont 2nd day, 993 AC

Master Higgings assures you the castle is well protected from magical intrusion and anyway he will provide heavy guard, including those with magical means. A servant guides you to a room where you can rest and wash after the long and tiresome voyage.
A couple of hours later you are summoned to speak again with Master Higgins, and meet him in a great hall where there are also a couple of discreet elven guards and a very tall man, simply dressed, with brown hair and beard.
"Lord Korrigan is here to listen to your tale and report to the Duke", Master Higgins says, indicating the man.
Even if physically imposing, Lord Korrigan is dressed so plainly you would not have said him to be one of the most important noblemen in Karameikos. He points to a table with seats to the right side of the hall.
"Please let sit and talk. Do you have any clue on where Lord Kelvin, Lady Penhaligon and Sir Antonic may be, with their retinues? I am eager to hear of your successful mission, but I'd would prefer to see them alive too. Certainly you are to be praised and commended for having brought the Orb here. It will prevent Skarda and other enemies to have it, for a start, and maybe give us an advantage over them", Lord Korrigan says.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Duke Stephan's Castle, Specularum
Scene LXXV - Styrlen Yarthmont 2nd day, 993 AC

Sam explains in detail to Lord Korrigan what happened and how you escaped the swamp. Lord Korrigan suggests you remain for a few days as guests in the Palace. He will put the Orb under heavy guard and send people to look for Retameron, Lord Kelvin and the others. He also says the Duke will probably talk to you personally the next day.
Eventually Lord Korrigan thanks you again and leaves, and so does Master Higgins. Servants bring you back to your rooms, which are quite near to one another on the second floor.
"I'm happy to greet the Duke but as soon as possible I will leave to search for Retameron, Halia and Cardia. They are my friends. But I guess you may wish to return to Highforge instead", Sam says.
"Let's sleep over this. I'd like to look for Bellithiel at least, as she is a Highforge citizen, but we should also go back to report as soon as possible. We'll have to talk about this". Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

I'd also like to search our friends but on the other hand I do not want to see that swamp ever again besides there are some matters that needs my attention in Highforge, says Bofar lightly blushing.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

I suspect we will have a much easier time now that we don't have to worry about that Orb. I will join the search party.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Scene LXXVI - Styrlen Yarthmont 3th day, 993 AC

"Me, Bofar and Taradain could return to Highforge while Lucius and Sam could join the search party. But let's wait tomorrow to learn about the search itself from the Duke", Kesh says.
You have finally a quiet and confortable night in the castle and the morning after the Orb is still guarded and safe.
By mid morning you are summoned to meet Duke Stephan himself. Lord Korrigan, Master Higgins and a couple of guards are present too. The Duke praises you for retrieving the Orb and promises a substantial reward. Then he says a search party for Desmond Kelvin, Arteris Penhaligon and Retameron will depart immediately. "I understand you three are now are Highforge guards but all of you are Specularum born. You have more than proved your worth so you would be welcomed in the city guard should you ever wish to return home", he then adds.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius expresses his gratitude, but goes back to his employment in Highforge. Since a search party is going to be sent anyway, we better report to Highforge and see what the leaders there decide to do about Bellithiel.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar just bows slightly to the Duke without saying anything.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Scene LXXVI - Styrlen Yarthmont 3th day, 993 AC

As you decide to return to Highforge, you are invited by Master Higgins to rest in the Palace for at least one more day. Sam will instead leave with the search party immediately, so he thanks and salutes you.
"I hope I will find Retameron and my friends soon enough and we will join paths again in the future", the halfling says before parting from you.
With Kesh and Taradain, you decide to leave tomorrow for Highforge. You can spend this afternoon in Specularum if you have business in the city, Lucius probably could go visiting his family and both could pay a short visit to sergeant Mikel, Fortunato Vorloi and Trark if you want to.
Bofar also may be interested in visiting the local dwarves, in particular Klist, the dwarven cleric of Kagyar, Durum and Torken, the two dwarven smiths who gave him some works after his uncle’s death, Thorur Thoricwarf, the elder dwarf of Specularum, who by the way may know some news about Gurum, the dwarf tasked to find the slaver who burned to death Bofar’s uncle. Kesh for his part wants to pay a visit to the local gnomes.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar goes around visiting old acquaintances. First he will get some small presents for everyone. He starts by visiting Klist and spends sometime with him telling everything that has happened since he last have a contact with him. Then he visits the others chatting with each for awhile telling about his tidings and asking if anything interesting have happened here.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Duke's Castle and City of Specularum
Scene LXXVII - Styrlen Yarthmont 3th day, 993 AC

The local dwarves are happy to see Bofar again, and ask him a lot about his voyages and adventures. They say the situation in the city has not been bad lately, as several Iron Rings criminal in and around it were arrested, and some executed. The Veiled Society has caused some disturbance, but nothing major so far. A new organization, the the Kingdom of Thieves, rose in the city. They are shameless thieves, and they compete with the Veiled Society, but apparently their competition has almost driven out the much more violent Iron Ring.
Gurum was successfull in helping destroy several Iron Ring cells around Specularum, but he still has no definitive proof on the ones responsible of the death of Bofar's uncle. He is still onto it however and Klist will let Bofar know any news.
Fortunato Vorloi, his daughter, Mikel and Trark are all happy to salute Bofar. The news are about the same he received from the dwarves. As the dwarves did, all try to insist Bofar stays in Specularum a few more days as their guest.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Duke's Castle and City of Specularum
Scene LXXVII - Styrlen Yarthmont 3th day, 993 AC

Kesh and Taradain are eager to return to Highforge the next day to report to the local authorities all that happened, but the gnome cleric is willing to let you stay a few more days in Specularum if you want to.
Otherwise, you will leave for Highforge on the morning of Yarthmont 4th. Kesh has found a couple of gnome traders who are going north tomorrow and would be happy to have some extra numbers.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar tells everyone in Specularum that he would like stay there a bit longer but that unfortunately he have some personal matters that requires him to return to Highforge as soon as possible. He will leave with the others.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius makes a quick round of his family and friends, mostly visiting during the same evening. He's then ready to go back to Highforge with the others.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Specularum to Midwood
Scene LXXVIII - Styrlen Yarthmont 4th day, 993 AC

Lucius' family is in good health and happy to see him and have him at dinner. Mikel, Fortunato and Trark too are happy to meet and wish him luck.
The morning after you are ready to say goodbye to Master Higgins and leave the Duke's castle. The halfling steward says a reward will be soon sent to you in Highforge to thank you for your deeds.
You meet the couple of gnome merchants, Gili and Hamia, in the Market Plaza, and join their carriage to the north. They came in Specularum to sell Highforge goods, mostly jewels, gems, some tools and weapons, stone and wood figurines, ceramics. Even if the annual gnome caravan in Thaumont brings to the capital the most important trade items from Highforge guilds, still many minor gnome and dwarven traders came continuously to the city and back to the Highforge, particularly during the milder months.
The day is sunny and the road seem busy and safe enough. You camp for lunch by the ruins of Krakatos, on the same road you travelled to the south just a little more than a month ago, when you were going to the swamp, and more than three years ago, when you left Specularum for Highforge.
By evening you are in Midwood and Kesh thinks it's best to pay a visit to Nicodemus, the local lord and friend of Desmond, who hosted you and the others on the way south.
"I think we should tell him all that happened. Desmond trusted him and he, as a powerful wizard, may be of help to find the others", Kesh says.

Map: http://pandius.com/karameikos-3_2m_draft.png
Previous encounter with Nicodemus: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=19354&start=450#p223916 (and you also met him briefly during your first trip Specularum-Highforge with Karto's caravan in 990 AC).

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius agrees. Now that the responsibility of the orb has been offloaded, he is a bit less tense.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Midwood
Scene LXXVIII - Styrlen Yarthmont 4th day, 993 AC

You speak to Nicodemus, still busy with the baby left to him as he narrated the last time you met. He is worried by Desmond and Retameron's fate and he promises he will immediately try to do everything in his power to find them and the others. He is eager to hear the tale of your adventure and thinks the attack by the elf and his ship around the Black Eagle's waters is another proof that Von Hendriks is involved with the Iron Ring.
He still believes Von Hendriks and Skarda are not really allies, but they could temporarily join forces, much to the dismay of Karameikos. Anyway he is confident Master Higgings and Lord Korrigan are up to the task of protecting the Black Orb, hopefully delivering it to the Church of Zirchev in the Lake of the Lost Dreams. Skarda's reach will not be able to overcome the defenses of the sanctuary.
He offers you hospitality into his home, but Kesh declines to return to the caravanserai and the gnome couple, with whom you will depart tomorrow in the early morning.
"If we move quickly and nothing happens we will be able to reach Kelvin by next evening. We will have to inform Baron Desmond Kelvin of what happened and give him all details about his son. I am pretty sure he already received messages from Specularum, but not to tell him personally would be unpolite for Highforge emissaries", Kesh says.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius agrees.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Midwood to Kelvin
Scene LXXVIII - Styrlen Yarthmont 5th day, 993 AC

The day after you continue your journey with the gnomes, encountering many people going up and down and some hours of light rain, but no problems or obstacles. You also see several pack of Callarii horses and some elves, as the elven lands are to the west of the road. You stop to eat at an inn by midday, where there are elves, dwarves, gnomes and humans travellers.
Before sunset you arrive at Kelvin and, leaving the gnomes at the campgrounds, the walled space for caravans, you proceed to the Baron's mansion and ask for an audience. Navigating with Kesh's Highforge credentials through some guards and officers, you are finally brought to an antechamber.
After some time, Baron Kelvin appears with his senescalch, a man you have meet before.
Kesh start explaining what happened, but the Baron soon interrupts. "Do not worry, I have received news from my son two days ago through Nicola the wizard here, which received them through Cardia. Desmond is alive and well, with Arteris Penhaligon and Retameron Antonic. They had many wounded, but all the members of the expedition survived. He was actually worried about not finding you and the Orb, but then I learned from Specularum about you and I was able to reassure him. Please be my guests for tonight, I know the Duke will appropriately reward you but I promise I will do the same. You have brought the Orb in our hands and this may give Karameikos a decisive advantage against Skarda, so the Grand Duchy cannot thank you enough!"

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Kelvin, Baron's Palace
Scene LXXIX - Styrlen Yarthmont 5th day, 993 AC

You obviously cannot refuse Lord Kelvin's invitation and are his guest for dinner, only you, him and his senescalch, where he asks for more details about your expedition and what you encountered in the swamp. He tells you things have been quiet around Kelvin lately, except from some minor goblin incursions on the eastern lands. The most important event indeed has been your discovery of the Tomb of Demara, which Lord Kelvin and Nethril of Krondsfield had to defend from claimants and treasure seekers.
He also promises to send you a letter once his son is back in town. He may wish to write to you himself or come visiting in Highforge.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius is polite but bland during the dinner, limiting himself to answering the Baron's queries, but not volunteering any information.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar also tries to be as vague as possible and speaks only if he is spoken to.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Kelvin to Highforge
Scene LXXX - Styrlen Yarthmont 6-7th day, 993 AC

After the evening with Lord Kelvin you sleep in the Palace as his guests and the day after you continue your return to Highforge. Even if there are just 35 miles the second half of the trip is over the steep hills of Highforge, so after a lunch stop in Dalassen, a town with a Thyatian castle about 17 miles north of Kelvin, you use the Gnome Ferry over the Shutturga and reach Dwallar in the afternoon, already in Highforge territory.
You already stayed one night in the town three years ago, the fist time you came to Highforge.
The morning after you go up the hills to Eveskyr/Highforge and arrive to the city before sunset. You find it not different from what you left less than 2 months ago, but it seems much more time. In less than 50 days you explored Demara's ruins and the Mansion near Krondsfield, then visited the elves of Kota Hutan and the temple of the Gray Mountain, then travelled all the way to the Blight Swamp, retrieved the Black Orb from Trinkla's pyramid, and now you are back in the city you now consider your home.
"I have to report to Bonth and my church as soon as possible, but you can go home if you want, Bonth and the others could still speak to you tomorrow if you are tired now", Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Yes, I will go home. I have some important thinking to do.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

And I have some sleeping to do... now that you mention it, these last two months have been crazy...

Return to “The Crystal Globe”