SWAG says Netheril is larger than Anarouch

Netheril: flying cities, ancient scrolls written on gold leaf, and just a little bit of hubris.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

SWAG says Netheril is larger than Anarouch

Post by Big Mac »

The Ruined Kingdoms of the North sidebar on page 48 of (the 5e) Sword Coast Adventurers Guide actually makes Netheril large than the Arcane Age products suggested:
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide wrote:Netheri. For centuries, the legends of Netheril served as a lesson of human hubris and a lure for treasure hunters to pridefall to lean from its story. Long before the Dales Compact and the advent of Dalereconing, Netheril arose as a human empire founded on the might of magic learned from the golden Nether Scrolls, artifacts at least as old as the creator races. Flying Netherese cities drifted through the skies all over the North, but primarily they hung high over a verdant land that is now the desert of Anauroch.

Then Karsus, one of the mighty mages of Netheril, dared to believe that he could wrest control of the Weave and become a god himself. He almost succeeded, but in his failure Karsus killed the goddess of magic, shredded the Weave, and sent the floating enclaves that couldn't flee to other planes crashing to the ground. From the moments after the crash when the spilt blood was still fresh to the present day's moss-covered or dune-buried stones, the ruins of Netheril and it's arcane secrets have drawn many to their doom.
This is obviously supposed to be a modern (5th Edition Era) take on things, but I see three interesting facts here:
  • Flying cities could actually move!
  • Flying cities drifted all across the North.
  • The flying cities mostly hung above what eventually became Anarouch.
I know that Dragonlance had flying citadels

I would have expected castle-sized moving encaves, rather than things the size of the Rock of Bral.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: SWAG says Netheril is larger than Anarouch

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm
I would have expected castle-sized moving encaves, rather than things the size of the Rock of Bral.
Size matters not! You must unlearn what you have learned!
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Size matters not! You must unlearn what you have learned!
:lol:

I suppose those 3e Epic Level Magic rules might cover how the Netherese could make mobile enclaves.

I wonder if any of the Dragonlance stuff can be used as a guideline. IIRC there was some sort of DL story with a flying castle in it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 pm
I suppose those 3e Epic Level Magic rules might cover how the Netherese could make mobile enclaves.

I wonder if any of the Dragonlance stuff can be used as a guideline. IIRC there was some sort of DL story with a flying castle in it.
Well, here's the main issue I see - flying cities probably would move quite a bit, even if the magic holding them up is over-glorified levitation. The issue is that the wind will push it around, and they'd have to be anchored somehow (magically or physically) to remain in one spot. And to make something the size of a small city levitate already sorta stretches the limits of the spell system as is, its not that much more of a stretch to put some power behind the levitation force and be done with it.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot »

Big Mac wrote:
The Ruined Kingdoms of the North sidebar on page 48 of (the 5e) Sword Coast Adventurers Guide actually makes Netheril large than the Arcane Age products suggested:
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide wrote:Netheri. For centuries, the legends of Netheril served as a lesson of human hubris and a lure for treasure hunters to pridefall to lean from its story. Long before the Dales Compact and the advent of Dalereconing, Netheril arose as a human empire founded on the might of magic learned from the golden Nether Scrolls, artifacts at least as old as the creator races. Flying Netherese cities drifted through the skies all over the North, but primarily they hung high over a verdant land that is now the desert of Anauroch.

Then Karsus, one of the mighty mages of Netheril, dared to believe that he could wrest control of the Weave and become a god himself. He almost succeeded, but in his failure Karsus killed the goddess of magic, shredded the Weave, and sent the floating enclaves that couldn't flee to other planes crashing to the ground. From the moments after the crash when the spilt blood was still fresh to the present day's moss-covered or dune-buried stones, the ruins of Netheril and it's arcane secrets have drawn many to their doom.
This is obviously supposed to be a modern (5th Edition Era) take on things, but I see three interesting facts here:
  • Flying cities could actually move!
This was well known. Karsus and Ioulum's cities were in the midst of a very long (100 year?) war game during the fall....positioning mattered.
Big Mac wrote:
[*]Flying cities drifted all across the North.
Also very well known. The cities that crashed in the fall were as far away as the Sea of Swords and the Sea of Fallen Stars. If they were only hanging a few thousand feet above the ground, they would not have drifted that far in the fall. In more modern times, Ed Greenwood's The Herald has Shade Enclave hover directly above Myth Drannor.
Big Mac wrote:
[*]The flying cities mostly hung above what eventually became Anarouch.[/list]

I know that Dragonlance had flying citadels

I imagine that the Arch-wizard who ran each city felt like they had to GO somewhere in order to move their city, otherwise they would just let it float where it would.

As for territory, The Netherese claimed everything they could which couldn't defend against them (so not the Elven lands...yet, and nothing too remote to be inconvenient for supply lines. Thankfully, they only had a few thousand years to get things right.
-Apotheot

Return to “Arcane Age”