The current project team members are:
1) Wizard-Warrior Conflict: Everyone seems to like the idea of it being an Alphatian/Thyatian or Chaos/Law type conflict, rather than a black & white good vs. evil Wizards vs. Warriors conflict. We should definitely develop this more along these lines.
2) Geoffrey: I seem to have coined a new title here with “Keeper of Secrets”. We should continue to develop Geoffrey as a benevolent wizard who quests to know and possess all things magical. He should be used as a patron of the PCs as well as connected to the Quadrial and it’s network, perhaps even as a patron or benefactor. Most of us seem to like the idea of him being connected to Wizardspire at some point in time as well. This should be developed more.
3) Wizardspire: This still needs to be nailed down better. We have lots of fantastic ideas circling about. Regardless of exact history it seems to be the consensus that it had at one time been a formal magical college and it may have had Alphatian influence. We all seem to be in agreement about the Mad Mage being a lich and evil. I for one like the idea of him using resurrected wizards as undead servants. I found the book I was looking for, “College of Wizardry’, and am reading it over. It would be a great basis for Wizardspire. It even has suggestions for incorporating into Mystara and Red Steel.
4) Mage Island: Lots of great ideas here too. Regardless of our individual takes, we all agree that the island needs to be steeped in mystery (this makes sense if it is owned by the Keeper of Secrets). I for one like the idea of the island being magical, or at least mystical (if there is indeed a difference). Rather than being invisible, it could be constantly shrouded in mist or fog, even on clear days (much like Avalon was described). This simple fog could be enough to dissuade most from trying to reach the island. Those bold enough to try could find themselves lost in the fog, only to emerge once again in a different point on the lake. Those persistent enough may be swallowed by the fog altogether, never to be seen again. The lake may even have a resident “monster” that could be the source of the missing persons.
Those privileged (or lucky) enough to reach the island should find it to be just as mystical and mysterious up close as at a distance, if not more so. I’m picturing something very much like Avalon or Lothlorien. Old ruins, buildings, statues, and structures should dot the landscape, most covered with natural growth – moss, ivy, trees and such. Geoffrey’s library should contain staggering amounts of books, scrolls, and codices, plus items of a magical nature.
5) Pickman: seems to be a natural fit for a servant of Geoffrey and the Quadrial. I believe that the Thunder Rift campaign setting listed him as a ‘sage’ or ‘scribe’. He supposedly works for the mayor in the capacity of a scribe and does personal research on the side. He will also do research for the PCs at a fair price if hired to do so, and he is also a good source of adventure, either through direct hiring or rumors/stories. I like the idea of him being the middle-man between the Geoffrey and the Quadrial. He could also serve Geoffrey in a similar capacity as the Mayor in that he does research for him as well as scribing. In return Pickman may receive magical instruction. He may even be a current or former apprentice of Geoffrey??
6) Barrick: should be connected to the former Wizardspire in some way, much like Geoffrey. Perhaps he could have been a neutral wizard during the time of the conflict, while Geoffrey was more good aligned? I like the idea of Barrick preferring a more personal master/apprentice style of teaching, as opposed to Wizardspire’s more “institutional” approach. Most of us have connected Barrick & Zanzer Tem, especially in a master/apprentice relationship. Perhaps this needs to be fleshed out more? I really like firebee’s use of Barrick’s spirit to possess one of his PCs. Something I never thought of doing. It has a very Raistlin/Fistandantilus quality to it that I really, really like. It makes for an interesting way of bringing back the dead without creating another lich or some such.
7) The Black Knight: definitely needs to be a major plot aspect of the Rift. He, along with the Assassins Academy, will be marshalling forces composed of humans, demi-humans, and humanoids, in an attempt to re-introduce a monarchy and feudal system in the Rift and declare himself King. Geoffrey and the Quadrial are working against his machinations, but cannot yet afford to be open about it. This is where the PCs come in.
Team contributors - please comment on these 7 items, even if it is to just say Yea.
Havard - as project lead, please feel free to take control of this topic and manage it as you see fit.