The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene LXXXI - Styrlen Yarthmont 8th day, 993 AC

Klisa and Bofar's family are happy to see him returned alive and successfull. Indeed the dwarf does not manage to go to sleep early as he would have wished to as relatives and then also neighbours insist to throw a sort of welcome home party for him with a lot of beer and music.
Lucius has a more quieter evening and night, as the only person he wishes to tell he has returned is Sara, the wizardess with whom he has a relationship. Sara however has to work tonight so after a quick hug, the welcome party is postponed.
The morning after Kesh, Lucius, Bofar and Taradain, all more rested than the dwarf, are at the Ranger House to meet with the gnome ranger Bonth, the dwarf artificier Gila, the dwarf warrior Karto and the hafling rangers Milo and Talla. All are happy to see you and congratulate for your success, and escaping alive from the Blight Swamp. Then Bonth speaks to you all.
"We have received dispatches from Krondfield, Kota Hutan, Kelvin and Specularum and Kesh has told us much of the rest yesterday, but I want to add I am impressed by your bravery and resourcefullness in the last two months. You have stopped Skarda and his likely allies from taking very important resources which would have given him a decisive advantage over us. I know rewards are coming for you from Kelvin and Specularum and from the Eveskyr Council too. This afternoon King Dorfus himself will meet you to thank you personally. In the meantime let me say we have not been idle either. Me, Gila and Karto have been busy east of Kelvin and beyond, fighting Iron Ring agents allied with Dymrak goblins. We have obtained disturbing informations on the dark powers of the Dymrak woods. Milo and Talla have been in Specularum, where a sacred artifact, the Bell of Chardastes, has been stolen. And more troubling than this, the culprit would be Elwyn, the cleric of Chardastes which was our ally. We thought Elwyn was lost in Skarda's Mirror, so how she managed to escaped? Why she stole the Bell? We fear she may now be an ally of Skarda and if he thanks to you has lost the Black Orb, still he may have managed to take another important Karameikos artifact. Milo, Talla and the Church of Chardastes have already searched for her and the Bell everywhere, but without news so far"
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Sturm wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:27 am
Lucius has a more quieter evening and night, as the only person he wishes to tell he has returned is Sara, the wizardess with whom he has a relationship. Sara however has to work tonight so after a quick hug, the welcome party is postponed.
[OOC: I didn't remember Lucius had a relationship :shock: ]

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Neither did I :D but I checked and it was mentioned three years ago here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17459#p192555 and there is no reason to believe it stopped unless you decide otherwise.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Sturm wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:06 am
Neither did I :D but I checked and it was mentioned three years ago here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17459#p192555 and there is no reason to believe it stopped unless you decide otherwise.
Yes, it was mentioned as casual, so it likely didn't last long.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

So, what you are saying is that we are needed again, Bofar sighs. I was hoping to spend a bit longer time here.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Well, that's not unsurprising. So, what's our next move? Do we have any lead worth pursuing on Elwyn or whatever is moving in the Dymrak Dread?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene LXXXI - Styrlen Yarthmont 8th day, 993 AC

"Unfortunately we do not have any conclusive lead yet, so I can reassure you Bofar about having some days, perhaps months of rest. You see Milo and Talla have and are searching everywhere for Elwyn, but she seems to have disappeared. We are indeed worried she went back to Skarda's mirror, perhaps. We did not had any further sight of Skarda either after you met him in Kota Hutan. The Dymrak situation is much more complex. Lord Kelvin is trying to expand his lands to the east, pushing the goblin away, but they are not submitting easily. They are becoming more and more organized and we do not know yet who is helping them. A dark power is behind them. Hags, perhaphs, which are powerful inhuman witches. Or something even more powerful, maybe a old dragon. Karameikos has many enemies and we will have to deal with them, eventually - Bonth says - but for now you can rest a little and wait for your rewards. The first one will be this afternoon with King Dorfus. I will come with you".
You can have lunch in the Ranger House. In the next days Bonth says you can have a number of days of rest before returning to your normal duties as Highforge guards, even a month if you wish.
In the afternoon as happened last year you met King Dorfus and some representatives of Eveskyr Council, who give Kesh, Lucius, Bofar and Taradain a medal in gold as Heroes of Eveskyr, to Lucius and Taradain full citizenship of Highforge for outstanding merits, a token sum of 100 gold coins each and a lease to a property in the Highforge territory. For this last reward you can choose if you want a house in the city or a farm in the nearby countryside.
"Kesh is obviously born and raised here, and Bofar as a dwarf with family in the city had citizenship anyway, but you two humans too have lend great services to Eveskyr in the three years you have lived here. We hope you will stay in our city as full citizens for years to come, working and fighting with us", King Dorfus says to Lucius and Taradain, unusually warmly for one who notoriusly does not like humans so much.
After that, Bonth congratulates you again. "I hear you were offered big rewards in Kelvin and Specularum too. I am happy you decided to stay with us", he says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

I cannot speak for the others but for me, I believe this is going to be a place to build a home. And for that reason I would like to stay off-duty for two weeks.

During the next few days Bofar tries to spend as much time as possible with Klisa. And have a discussion about their future. While walking in a swamp he did have a lots of time to think about it.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Thanks, Bonth. Life is somewhat easier here, and I have grown to appreciate the team. So I suppose I will stay.

Besides getting a small house in town, Lucius spends most of his spare time at the Ranger House -- this last journey and the news about Dymrak have left him deeply worried about the future and his own ability to control it, so he obsessively reads up on Dymrak and its dangers and consults with local experts about topics such as orienteering, tracking, and goblin languages and customs.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene LXXXI - Styrlen Yarthmont 9-28th day, 993 AC

Bonth grants Bofar the two weeks of rest, from the 9th to the 23th. Klisa prefers to stay in the city however, except for some walks around Highforge. Now you have a home and so Bofar does not need anymore to save money to buy one. The new home is the easternmost in the bottom row of the Dwarven Quarter of the Uppercity (http://pandius.com/Highforge_map1.png) not too far from the ones inhabited by Bofar's relatives which are near the centre of the Quarter. It's a two family house: Bofar has the upper story, a couple of young dwarf traders, Gala and Dursh, live below. They seem friendly and praise Bofar for his success. Indeed Bofar is now quite famous in the Dwarven Quarter and everywhere in the city. Aunt Durla seems unusually proud and does not even press the matter of marriage, but obviously is more or less what everyone expects to happen now. Bofar cannot fail to notice that gnomish and dwarvish females his age are noticeably friendlier toward him. Klisa is more amused by this than jealous, however. Cousin Faris in particular is often discreetly around him, just in case he may have changed his mind.

Bonth encourages Lucius to take some days off too. The human community of Highforge is small, numbering just some hundred people, but Lucius has the distinct impression that about 25 young women age 13 to 35, even some who are notoriously married or engaged, are often trying to make themselves known to him in any possible way, with various degrees of discretion. He may obviously take advantage of this, if he wants to. At the very least, several are willing to cook for him or help him furnish the new house in the southern Human Quarter. Some possibly are just seeking employment or sales because they think he is rich or about to be. Some men and boys likewise approach him for work or business opportunities, varying from wannabe squires/henchmen/servants to shady characters wishing to exploit his new fame. Initially also the whole male community is indeed very friendly to him, as a human Hero of Highforge, but with the passing days he sees some husbands and boyfriends start to looking at him with some annoyance. Sara as well greets and compliments him, clearly not objecting to rekindling a relation, should he wish to. Surprisingly enough, he enjoys similar benevolence to a lesser degree also from hafling, elves and gnomes and, much less openly, even dwarves. Bonth seems extremely amused by this "Fame has an effect on people, of all races", he says smiling.

On Yarthmont 12th, Bellithiel returns to Highforge too, welcomed by all and rewarded as well. She tells what happened to the others in Trinkla's Pyramid. It was a great fight, with many wounded. Eventually Trinkla was repelled, but not destroyed. The party was attacked by lizardmen and troglodytes and had to escape with their lives. There was a nightmarish night of pursuing, and the day after Rosentos was gone. She was worried about you. Desmond wanted to return to the pyramid to search for you and the Orb but Alexei discovered, by divination, you escaped with the Orb. He could not locate you, but at this point the party decided to leave the swamp and hope you would manage too. They had other hostile encounters, but nothing serious, and were able to return to Luln, and finally communicate with Specularum and Kelvin, learning you had succeeded.
"Retameron, Arteris and Desmond will now take personally the Orb to the Seer of the Lake of the Lost Dreams. Alexei, Taran, the others and a fair number of Elven guards, wizards and clerics are with them. The Seer should be able to effectively use the Orb to locate Skarda, or at least try to. I am happy you are alive and fared so well, I'm eager to hear about your return trip", Bellithiel says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Sturm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:36 pm
Bonth seems extremely amused by this "Fame has an effect on people, of all races", he says smiling.
"Which leaves one wondering how much such interest is genuine" replies Lucius, shrugging. He ignores the groupies, but he does consider hiring a servant to keep the house while he is away, if this is within the reach of his pockets (in the long term). If it is the case, Lucius is an equal opportunity employer, so he does not particularly favor humans, and does his best to ignore his prejudices against Traladarans and halflings in favor of proven skills and reliability.
"Retameron, Arteris and Desmond will now take personally the Orb to the Seer of the Lake of the Lost Dreams. Alexei, Taran, the others and a fair number of Elven guards, wizards and clerics are with them. The Seer should be able to effectively use the Orb to locate Skarda, or at least try to. I am happy you are alive and fared so well, I'm eager to hear about your return trip", Bellithiel says.
"I'm glad you made it in one piece. With Skarda's lackeys on the Orb's tracks, we couldn't afford to wait."

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)

There are very qualified servants available, but affordability has to be evaluated by you. Your guard salary is 5 gp a month, more than enough to pay for clothes, food and rent which in Highforge were about 2 gp a month. Now you do not even have to pay rent anymore, so that will leave you 4 gp a month. Still a qualified servant salary is about 4 gp a month and this means you would spend all you salary monthly in servant, food, clothes and house expenses, leaving you no savings. You have now however also received rewards from Specularum and Kelvin, meaning you have now 619 golds and 5 silvers, a fortune and enough to pay for more than 12 years of salary of a servant, if you do not send some to your relatives in Specularum.
Note that while in a renaissance-like world food is cheap, but horses, armor, weapons and magic are not.
There is also the option of a non qualified servant, a boy or a girl, which would cost only 2 gp a month. And a middle way, i.e. a grown man or woman with some experience, about 3 gp a month.

Also according to Bonth you will soon be promoted to sergeants of the Highforge guards, with an increase in pay to 7 gp a month.

By the way beside 200 gp, Specularum and Kelvin also send a title and land grant to you, Bofar and Taradain. This means that if you want to, you can receive a farm and the title of knight either in the dominion of Kelvin or in the lands around Specularum. The farm would still need people to be repaired, furnished and maintained. If you do not want to move to Kelvin or Specularum you can still accept the title as honorary only, the next time you are in Kelvin or Specularum. This means you will have some privileges of the knighthood in the Barony of Kelvin and in the Dominion of Specularum, mainly the possibility of asking for free services/help to guards and local officers, and the right to be heared much more easier than commoners at the Baronial or Ducal Court. The honorary Specularum knighthood will be more or less valid all over Karameikos, where there are Ducal officers. The willingness of other local nobles and towns to accept such titles is instead very random.

About relationships as you may recall you can choose your orientation and general attitude, but the matter is not entirely in your control, i.e. Lucius may choose to have only casual relationship but he can still fall in love even if not particularly willing to (a things which is much likely to happen when potential partners are actively pursuing you ;) or a female partner could still become pregnant.
I will try to avoid the girlfriend in peril abused theme though, unless it is entirely reasonable to happen (such as in case of full scale war)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

A non-qualified but honest servant will have to suffice for now. Managing a farm would probably prevent Lucius from further adventuring, as well as depriving him of his current salary, so this is something he will decline.
As for girlfriends, Lucius is not particularly willing to drag someone into a relationship -- he already has enough potential relatives in peril ;) -- and even less willing to get himself dragged into a relationship with someone who he does not fully trust (which at the moment means basically no one beyond his immediate family, Bofar, and a couple more of his comrades -- none of whom has the basic qualification for becoming a girlfriend).

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Noted, his preferences are duly taken into account but as everybody knows, life may happen despite your plans :)

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar will accept only the honorary title since he is going to stay in Eveskyr. He is seriously considering his relationship with Klisa, should they make it official now or wait until Bofar's responsibilities becomes lighter. This is a decision that is pressing heavily on his mind.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)

Well for now not Klisa nor the family press the matter yet.
Now Bofar has a lot of saved money, more than 800 gold.
Lucius can hire either a young human boy or a young girl which live nearby as non qualified servant. Both seem honest enough and have families in the neighbourhood.

Both could decide to search for or purchase some magic items, weapons or armors. As you know such things are very expensive.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar will look around if there are any reasonable opportunities to invest some of his savings.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)

Weapons and armors prices are particularly cheap in Highforge comparing to the rest of Karameikos, even magical ones, so a weapon +2 could be find for about 200 gp and a plate mail +1 could be find for about 350 gp. Such thing in the rest of the nation can easily cost 300 gp and 500 gp. These are more or less the top on the market, as better weapons and armors are very precious and difficult to find, or have to be especially commissioned to armorers and wizards, costing over 600 gp or more.

I gave you for the past adventures 20,000 xp plus bonuses so you are now both Level 6. You have gained hit points but Thaco and saving throws do not improve at this level. However you can choose ONE further language OR skill OR combat maneuver OR weapon mastery OR gain a point in any ability score OR any other D&D editions abilities, feats and similar (which I will use as BECMI skills or combat maneuvers).

In a short ceremony with Bonth and Gila, and obviously the presence of Kesh, Milo, Talla and Bellithiel, you are also promoted to Sergeants of Highforge. You are still in the Ranger House so your main duties still have to do with patrolling the exterior, but now you will also have to do some recruits training, inspections and similar official duties, even if you will not probably be assigned as commanders in the field, or at least not for long as you have to wait for clues about Skarda and the rest.
Last edited by Sturm on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar will buy a better plate mail (+1) for himself.

And if it is possible, he will take a +1 bonus for Endurance.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius would improve his mastery of the sword, if possible. He will also get a sword +2 and plate mail +1, selling his current sword +1 and chain mail +1.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Eveskyr (Highforge)

Ok I suppose Bofar will sell his current plate mail? If so, he could pay the new one "only" 300 gp. He has now 571 gp
(sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=1)
Now Bofar AC is 5 and damage absorbtion is 8 (It was 7/7 before). (He also gained an increase in AC with the 6th level)
Also added 6 gp for the sergeant salary of Yarthmont (7), minus 1 gp expenses.
Noted for Endurance.

Lucius instead spends 350+200 gp for the new equipment but earns 180 gp by selling the old, for a final expense of 370
In Yarthmont he also earns 7 gp as sergeant but spend 3 for the young servant and 1 for expenses. He has now 252 gp
(sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=1)
Now Lucius has AC 6 and AB 8 (it was 5/6 before, le lost 1 point of AC because plate mail is heavier but gained 2 of absorbtion)
He is now Expert with the sword, dealing +7 damage and having THACO 10.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Unless you have more comments about weapons, armors or training, now the PbP continues in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=244971#p244971

Return to “The Crystal Globe”