Retro-Edition Eberron

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Retro-Edition Eberron

Post by Doc Necrotic »

It looks like this thread comes up once in a while, but has anyone had success with porting Eberron to a prior edition? I've had a few thoughts on using AD&D for Eberron, but it didn't really go anywhere.
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Beoric
Ogre

Re: Retro-Edition Eberron

Post by Beoric »

I use AD&D modules all the time, I don't know why there would be any problem running it in the AD&D system.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

I would think AD&D would work fine. You'd need to take a look at redoing the Artificer class somewhat I expect (it might have too much going on relative to other 1E or 2E classes), and find a means of doing the Dragonmarks in that system, since you don't have feats (perhaps tie them in somehow with the Proficiency system).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:15 am
You'd need to take a look at redoing the Artificer class somewhat I expect (it might have too much going on relative to other 1E or 2E classes
Maybe take the Alchemist from Dragon 49/Best of Vol. III and change the spell list?

EDIT: You will also have to give spells earlier.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
I would think AD&D would work fine. You'd need to take a look at redoing the Artificer class somewhat I expect (it might have too much going on relative to other 1E or 2E classes), and find a means of doing the Dragonmarks in that system, since you don't have feats (perhaps tie them in somehow with the Proficiency system).
I would just give everyone who wants one a Dragonmark, and make them pay NWP to improve them overtime if they want to. The initial abilities aren't that powerful.

As for the Artificer, that is a tougher nut to crack, maybe use Spells and Magic to make a custom class? Or steal the Specialty clerics of Gond from Forgotten Realms?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
I would think AD&D would work fine. You'd need to take a look at redoing the Artificer class somewhat I expect.
Parts zero and one of this series on the evolution of the Artificer discusses the proto-artificers of pre-3.5. Perhaps of these classes will meet your need or give you a starting point.

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
... and find a means of doing the Dragonmarks in that system, since you don't have feats (perhaps tie them in somehow with the Proficiency system).
Make them a secondary multiclass like Ninja in OA1 or Shaman/Wokani in Orcs of Thar.

Artikid
Hobgoblin

Post by Artikid »

Dragomarks? Why not use something similar to Bloodlines in Birthright?
Illustrator for hire, my Patreon campaign: https://www.patreon.com/artikid
My online gallery https://artikid.deviantart.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Doc Necrotic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 pm
It looks like this thread comes up once in a while, but has anyone had success with porting Eberron to a prior edition? I've had a few thoughts on using AD&D for Eberron, but it didn't really go anywhere.
I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Keith Baker, where anyone has asked him what edition of D&D he started out with.

But I'd love to know how he would imagine that a hypothetical 2nd Edition AD&D Eberron line might have gone (assuming there had been a campaign setting pitch back during the 2nd Edition Era and Eberron had won it).

I can imagine there would have been an Eberron Campaign Setting boxed set.

I think that a bunch of stackable perspex maps, for the layers of Sharn, would have been the sort of "expensive but cool" thing that TSR would do.

I suppose there would be card sheets for each of the Dragonmarked Houses. Maybe they would have even put out a series of twelve reference products ("EBR1", "EBR2", etc) for the individual Dragonmarked Houses, with chapters for the various things those houses make.

And I can imagine 2e Kits based on the roles of Dragonmarked Houses (so that people could have skills based on house training, as well as abilities based on Dragonmarks themselves).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

I've got several ideas for porting Eberron-related material over to BECMI/RC D&D. Back-of-the-envelope stuff, nothing severely playtested, but essentially, run Artificers as Clerics, being able to cast infusions instead of spells, allowing them to either mimic spell-like abilities, or bestow magic on items/clothing for potion-like durations.

Commandeer Magic Jar mechanics for demonic possession; Dragonmarks could be fashioned after either General Skills advancement, or Weapon Mastery-- you might even dig into the Red Curse material (either Dragon Magazine variant, or the 2e Red Steel version) for further Dragonmark development.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Some great suggestions here (maybe too many options for the OP!). In particular, I like RobJN's artificer and Red Curse suggestions for BECMI (I'd be inclined to use the Dragon rules), and the idea of Birthright mechanics for 2E (although I am not as familiar with them, what little I know suggests that might be a good fit).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 pm
I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Keith Baker, where anyone has asked him what edition of D&D he started out with.
According to this interview with Keith Baker on Tales from the Fandom, at 6:46, Keith started with the White Box, Monster Manual, and Deities & Demigods. He read the books when he was 8 or 9 years old. A year or two later, he began running games for his friends. So it sounds like his original system was likely a combination of OD&D rules with AD&D monsters and deities.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

RobJN wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 pm
run Artificers as Clerics
Cleric spells and combat progression make sense, but the turning mechanic is wasted. I suppose you could take the cleric chassis, give different weapons, strip away turning and religious strongholds, let them use any magic item at DM's discretion (or maybe something like the thief's chance to read scrolls?), and give them something like the potion making mechanic of the Alchemist.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Turning might be repurposed for, say, using magical items not normally allowed was my very first inclination, but the mechanic seems viable for a wide variety of magical-tinkering that my brain is too fuzzy right now to figure out....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “Eberron”