Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by Havard »

peelseel2 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:10 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm
Hello Scott! Welcome to to The Piazza!

What games are you interested in these days?

-Havard
OD&D is the flavor of the year. I have never played it before. Every edition except for it.
With the Blackmoor supplement perhaps....? :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

peelseel2
Kobold

Post by peelseel2 »

Havard wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:46 pm

With the Blackmoor supplement perhaps....? :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

-Havard
Without Greyhawk and Blackmoor supplements.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:13 pm
It's great to meet one of the fortunate folks who were able to contribute to those early Open Design books. I'm bummed I wasn't into RPGs at that time and missed out on the opportunity. Someday, I hope to have the opportunity to check out the early products that were exclusive to the OD patrons.

I look forward to future discussions with you.
Unfortunately I was about three (maybe four) years late for the first few Open Design projects, so missed out on all the super exclusive early adventures. The Midgard CS proper was my first foray into the setting and OD projects. Over the years I did manage to grab an eBay'ed copy of the first Zobeck Open Design book. Copies of the early projects are so hard to find.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:53 pm
The Midgard CS proper was my first foray into the setting and OD projects. Over the years I did manage to grab an eBay'ed copy of the first Zobeck Open Design book. Copies of the early projects are so hard to find.
Agreed! I've picked up a few over the years, but not many. Regardless, if you ever want to chat about Midgard, that forum could use some more love.

megamania
Hobgoblin

Post by megamania »

'Allo- just joined you folks. Been playing DnD since 1989. Been GMing since 96. Huge fan of Eberron and now looking to GM Torg:Eternity which I have not played since 90 or 91.

b9anders
Goblin

Post by b9anders »

Hi all, I am Anders.

I've been playing d&d since I taught myself English with the players handbook and a dictionary some 30 years ago. I have a lot of love for old school gaming. I also liked what they did with 5e, which ended up with me making a game called Into the Unknown. Where I consider 5e to be the fifth edition of AD&D, Into the unknown is meant to be its non advanced B/X equivalent, with a strong focus on old school gaming.

I also have a blog where I mostly blog about old school stuff.
http://mythlands-erce.blogspot.com/

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

megamania wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 pm
'Allo- just joined you folks. Been playing DnD since 1989. Been GMing since 96. Huge fan of Eberron and now looking to GM Torg:Eternity which I have not played since 90 or 91.
Hey mega,

Welcome to the piazza! Glad you could make it over here! :mrgreen:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

b9anders wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:35 pm
Hi all, I am Anders.

I've been playing d&d since I taught myself English with the players handbook and a dictionary some 30 years ago. I have a lot of love for old school gaming. I also liked what they did with 5e, which ended up with me making a game called Into the Unknown. Where I consider 5e to be the fifth edition of AD&D, Into the unknown is meant to be its non advanced B/X equivalent, with a strong focus on old school gaming.

Welcome Anders! Enjoy your time here!
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

b9anders wrote:
I've been playing d&d since I taught myself English with the players handbook and a dictionary some 30 years ago.
Wow, that's really impressive. I can't even imagine having that level of dedication. It must've been a painstaking process.
b9anders wrote:
I have a lot of love for old school gaming. I also liked what they did with 5e, which ended up with me making a game called Into the Unknown. Where I consider 5e to be the fifth edition of AD&D, Into the unknown is meant to be its non advanced B/X equivalent, with a strong focus on old school gaming.
Do you use a homebrew setting with the game? Or do you use one of the published settings? If it's your own setting, can you summarize it in a few sentences? What makes it unique?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

megamania wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 pm
Welcome to The Piazza! Have you familiarized yourself with the changes to Torg? I'm not super familiar with the system, but I hear TorgE has different mechanics. Will you focus on one cosm in particular?

megamania
Hobgoblin

Post by megamania »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:38 am
Welcome to The Piazza! Have you familiarized yourself with the changes to Torg? I'm not super familiar with the system, but I hear TorgE has different mechanics. Will you focus on one cosm in particular?
Played a lot (about a year) back in 90 or 91. I have been reading up on the Rules book and Cosm books. Pan Pacifica and Tharkold have changed a lot and the local of Orrorsh has changed. Additional card and card mechanics have been added but that makes them easier to use.

I wanted to bring the PCs to various Cosms quickly but don't see how that makes it seem real. As such I will be in North America to begin with.

Washington State for two adventures

Washington DC for an adventure

God Box premade adventure

Then I'm not sure. Depends on what players want and if they want to explore 'The Weaponeer' character (s) I will be introducing.

megamania
Hobgoblin

Post by megamania »

oh- and I hope to post it in Storyhour format once I figure out how to show game mechanics vs my own plot devices

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

b9anders wrote:
Hi all, I am Anders.

G’day
Welcome again ;)
As you know I’m reading Into the Unknown. I was unsure about getting it fearing yet another fantasy heart-breaker. Instead I discovered a well crafted game that tightly adhered to clearly articulated design goals. I’ve just finished reading Book 3 of 5 and So far I’m very impressed.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

b9anders
Goblin

Post by b9anders »

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 am
G’day
Welcome again ;)
As you know I’m reading Into the Unknown. I was unsure about getting it fearing yet another fantasy heart-breaker. Instead I discovered a well crafted game that tightly adhered to clearly articulated design goals. I’ve just finished reading Book 3 of 5 and So far I’m very impressed.
Thanks. Book four is the one I put my heart into, so will be interested to see what you make of it.

b9anders
Goblin

Post by b9anders »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 am
b9anders wrote:
I've been playing d&d since I taught myself English with the players handbook and a dictionary some 30 years ago.
Wow, that's really impressive. I can't even imagine having that level of dedication. It must've been a painstaking process.
I was 8. Kids have time on their hands for a this stuff.

Do you use a homebrew setting with the game? Or do you use one of the published settings? If it's your own setting, can you summarize it in a few sentences? What makes it unique?
Home brew.

I have a lot of focus on law vs Chaos as features of reality, so it plays on themes of civilization vs wilderness, the effects of liminal crossing over into mythic landscapes, both on the landscape itself and on the people who do the crossing over. There is rich soil for such a focus in traditional myths and fairy tales.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

b9anders wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:29 am
I have a lot of focus on law vs Chaos as features of reality, so it plays on themes of civilization vs wilderness, the effects of liminal crossing over into mythic landscapes, both on the landscape itself and on the people who do the crossing over. There is rich soil for such a focus in traditional myths and fairy tales.
That sounds really interesting. Are you considering publishing anything specifically for your setting?

b9anders
Goblin

Post by b9anders »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:26 am
b9anders wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:29 am
That sounds really interesting. Are you considering publishing anything specifically for your setting?
Yes, although the first setting will be a bit more basic and basically an exploration of vanilla d&d fantasy. Some of the themes will run through it, I can't help it, but a lot more subdued.

CrossPlanes
Goblin

Post by CrossPlanes »

Hello,

I've been a player since 1991 and a DM since 1992. I like a lot of different RPGs and particularly love Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, 4E, 5E, 13th Age, and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

I have a blog, Cross Planes (www.crossplanes.com) that has been active for 8 years now and covers the OSR, D&D, He-Man, and a ton of other stuff.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

CrossPlanes wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:02 am
I've been a player since 1991 and a DM since 1992. I like a lot of different RPGs and particularly love Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, 4E, 5E, 13th Age, and Shadow of the Demon Lord.
Welcome to the Piazza! It's great to have you join us. I look forward to seeing what you add to the 13th Age, OSR, and Shadow of the Demon Lord (SotDL) discussions. Perhaps we'll make SotDL sufficiently popular on the Piazza that it'll get it's own forum, some day. :)

rredmond
Bugbear

Post by rredmond »

Welcome CrossPlanes, cool background on your blog! I think the links to your modules still go to RPGNow, I'm sure the redirects will be there forever, but figured I'd let you know!
Be well and be welcome,
--Ron--

capesword
Goblin

Post by capesword »

Hi, I'm capesword, and I've recently been recruited here by Big Mac. I also hang out on a few other gaming sites, and I was introduced to the Piazza from AuldDragon's Spelljammer campaign stream and I just love the variety of settings this place supports.

There are lots of campaign settings I like, I've noticed this place supports Nentir Vale and I was pretty happy to see that here. Mainly I'm a fan of Lands of Porphyra from Purple Duck Games, but I also like Kingdoms of Kalamar, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms. I grew into Spelljammer from watching Auld's stream and YouTube channel, but I haven't had the pleasure of seriously playing it yet.

Some types of games I'd be interested in as a player:
Spelljammer: I've never played this setting with an experienced group before.
Malatra: Jungle adventure? Sounds like a blast to me!
Ravenloft: Sometimes it's fun to be scared, and when you combine D&D or Pathfinder with that, the adventure can get intense and exciting.
War of the Burning Sky: Not a campaign setting per se but an epic adventure where the heroes fight not just against the forces of an evil empire, but for peace itself. It's a morality play where your actions tend to matter more and it's definitely one that values roleplaying and brains over brawn.

Some campaign settings I'd be willing to GM:
Lands of Porphyra: It's one of the few OGL settings out there that is truly open source. I'd love to introduce it to a group that likes Pathfinder First Edition.
Kingdoms of Kalamar: One of the most heavily detailed settings I've ever played. It can handle the action/adventure scenarios that I like, but it's designed for in-depth roleplaying. I will say now that I'm not a stickler for every detail, more than any other setting I adapt what I want rather than go entirely by the book.
Nentir Vale: One of the least baggage-heavy settings out there, it was designed for 4th Edition but can handle any ruleset. It has had a conversion done for Pathfinder, and it's the kind of setting that likes having old modules run in it. I'd consider doing a campaign here again.
Forgotten Realms: This setting introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons campaign settings. Sooner or later I'll end up here again.

I'm looking forward to meeting people on the Piazza and I hope to grow as a gamer and contribute to this community.
Alex MacNeil
capesword

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn »

capesword wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:36 pm
Hi, I'm capesword,
Hi Capesword. So, is that capes.word? Or cape.sword?
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

capesword
Goblin

Post by capesword »

Kythkyn wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 pm
capesword wrote:
Hi, I'm capesword,
Hi Capesword. So, is that capes.word? Or cape.sword?
It's as in cape-sword. :)
Alex MacNeil
capesword

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Welcome capesword! I look forward to discussing Ravenloft with you!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

capesword wrote:
Nentir Vale: One of the least baggage-heavy settings out there, it was designed for 4th Edition but can handle any ruleset. It has had a conversion done for Pathfinder, and it's the kind of setting that likes having old modules run in it. I'd consider doing a campaign here again.
Welcome to the Piazza! I'm a fan of Nentir Vale as well. I wasn't aware of a Pathfinder conversion. If that's something you can point me toward, I'd love to take a look at what the fans came up with.

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”