Hollow World: Milenian Empire, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Hollow World: Milenian Empire, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf »

Maps

Replica of poster map from HWR3, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2009
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Updated map of the Milenian Empire, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, May 2009
Image Image Image Image

Comments
HWR3's map is one of the best official maps when it comes to consistency and style. There were very few mistakes of any kind. The typography was perhaps a little non-standard, incorporating two levels of settlement labels (major and minor), which is rare in Mystara's hex maps.

As with all the Hollow World area maps, precise borders are not present on the map, although they can largely be deduced from the map and the text. Also, the poster map doesn't show the whole Empire, although it should be relatively easy to expand the map to cover the northern and southern extremities.

Sources: Hollow World Campaign Set (1990), HWR3 The Milenian Empire (1992).

Notes on HWR3
  • Bahl Massif Mountains - the mountain range appearing on the edge of HWR3's map is called the Bahl Massif Mountains. (HWR3 Adventurer's Guide page 6a) The Hollow World Campaign Set labels these mountains "Bahl Masiv"; "masiv" is likely a derivative of "massif". The Atlas uses massif.
  • Battle of Pharos - this sea battle, marked on the Hollow World set 40 mile per hex map (as well as HWR3's excerpt of this map), "took place in AC 535 within the Bay of Laroun". (HWR3 Campaign Book page 4a-b)
  • Demtor Mines - the mines in the mountains near Demtor "provide a variety of metals: gold, silver, iron, copper, and tin". (HWR3 Campaign Book page 7b)
  • Emperor's Rampart - the limestone quarries of Laroun (see Laroun Quarries) suggest that these mountains are largely made up of white limestone. (HWR3 Campaign Book page 5a, 9b)
  • Fonts - Title and Major Terrain Features (both land and sea): 15.8 pt Feinen Bold; Major Settlements, Roads and Trails: 11.2 pt Feinen Bold; Minor Settlements and Terrain Features: 7.8-8 pt Feinen Bold; Legend: 5 pt Feinen Bold.
  • Hex Art Errors - the mine north of Fort Agrisa is placed on a hills hex rather than a hills base hex.
  • Lake Agrisa - "The lake is said to have no bottom; this is not true, though it is very, very deep." "...it is warmed by volcanic activity on the bottom." "It is rumoured ... that a hidden underground waterway winds through the mountain chain known as the Emperor's Rampart, connecting Lake Agrisa to the Bay of Laroun and the open sea." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 9a)
  • Laroun Quarries - the monuments of Corisa are made from "white limestone quarried from the mountains southeast of Laroun". (HWR3 Campaign Book page 5a) "A trail from the city leads to the southeastern mountains, where limestone is quarried." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 9b)
  • Lentys Fort - this fort marks the eastern border. "Mining and logging communities are beginning to spring up in the nearby mountains and forests." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 10a)
  • Northeastern Border - According to HWR3, Fort Tythus marks the border, although there are plans for expansion - "construction of a new fort has begun" at the Dagol River, and the rich farmlands around the river are "a prize the Empire is willing to fight for". (HWR3 Campaign Book page 8b-9a)
  • Provinces - HWR3 Campaign Book page 4b refers to "The 100 provinces of the nation". It goes on to mention the "province of Pelai". It seems that the empire is split into numerous subdivisions. With so many provinces, it seems likely that each and every settlement marked on the map is the centre of its own province.
  • Southeastern Border - Agrisa Fort "protects the Empire from rare intrusions from the south". (HWR3 Campaign Book page 5a) It seems that Agrisa Fort and the nearby town of Phos are the southeastern extent of the empire.
  • Tyrnus - "Built on the coast where the River Silvius spills into the Atlass Ocean, Tyrnus is surrounded by thick forests." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 11b)
  • Tythus-Dagol Trail - "A trail 240 miles ... long has been made from the Fortress of Tythus northeast to the Dagol River." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 8a-9b)
  • Valley of Night - "a rocky place of stunted trees and sinkholes..." "Within the valley stands the Tower of Night." (HWR3 Campaign Book page 11b, 12a)
Notes on HWQ1
  • River Corius - the map of Corisa shows a river flowing through the middle of the city; the map key on the inside of HWQ1's trifold cover names it the River Corius: "The river twists sluggishly through the city. It is not very clean, as the city's sewers spill their contents into it." The river flows through the city from the south. It likely originates either in the hills to the west or the Emperor's Rampart mountains to the south.
To Do List
  1. Expand the map north to Tyrnus, east to the Dagol River and south to Laroun.
  2. Deduce national borders.
  3. Create provinces and mark provincial borders.
References
Thanks to:

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Hollow World: Milenian Empire, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf »

Note that I have made a change to the file name of the replica map:

hwr3-milenia-8.png -> hwr3-milenian-empire-8.png

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

I had a quick flick through HWQ1 for extra info, but it seems to just repeat some of the stuff in HWR3. The only thing of note I could find was this:

Notes on HWQ1
  • River Corius - the map of Corisa shows a river flowing through the middle of the city; the map key on the inside of HWQ1's trifold cover names it the River Corius: "The river twists sluggishly through the city. It is not very clean, as the city's sewers spill their contents into it." The river flows through the city from the south. It likely originates either in the hills to the west or the Emperor's Rampart mountains to the south.
It seems most likely that the river flows from the northern spur of the Emperor's Ramparts past the Temple of Faunus and the Palace of Lerneia, perhaps through the site of the Battle of Antistis (or alternatively the village of Zenoplines) and then north to Corisa.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Hey Thorf,

Do you think, by expanding the map, you'll capture all of the Island of Amora?

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

Definitely! I actually made an overlay guide for expanding this map years ago. You can see it here:

My current plan is to expand the map to encompass an area from the peninsula with the lighthouse west of Tyrnus in the north to the southern point of the Island of Amora in the south. It will be very easy to include the small northwestern section of the island that was cut off too.

The map should also include the trail to the Dagol River and the fort that's being built there, but that would involve a lot of extra mapping for a very small area, so I may well just do that part as a smaller extension to the main map.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion »

Great map, Thorf! 8-)

To trace the exact borders of the Empire, we could take Milenia's total surface area as listed in the PWAs and see if it matches with the map.

BTW, it's a pity that Milenia resembles in too many way Thyatis - name, politics... :(
I'm just wondering which cultures live on the southern shores of Bay of Laroun, or on those of Lake Agrisa... Interesting places to fill up with extinct peoples. :twisted:
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Well, we could have a Mystaran equivalent of the Minoans (likely lived off the Milenian coast, or around Minrothad), the Etruscans (for similar cultures), or perhaps we could create other non-human cultures that have passed away on the surface (no need to model them on anything).
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

I updated the original colours variant (PNG and PDF) of the replica map. There was a problem with reefs not showing up.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Good work Thorf!
Zendrolion wrote:BTW, it's a pity that Milenia resembles in too many way Thyatis - name, politics... :(

My theory is that the Thyatian Tribes, during their time of slavery in the Hinterlands encountered Milennians fleeing the collapse of their empire. Those refugees may even have been incorporated into the tribes and the cultural elements were brought over too.

Milennians have a number of cultural differences compared to the Thyatians though. Milennians are not fond of ships and sailing. They rely on Oracles for political decisions. Perhaps a comparison could be made between Milennia and the Empire of Alexander the Great? If Alexander's Empire had not collapsed after the death of its ruler, perhaps that is what Milennia is?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”