Darokin (and surrounds) history questions

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: Darokin (and surrounds) history questions

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 pm

And now for the next map - 685 AC.

Here are the key features:

- The Streel Marches have not formed yet - the north is still civilised. Corunglain, Ardelphia, and Callair are at their northernmost extent.

- Sind occupies some of what is now Darokin (but not for much longer).

- Selenica is more isolated at this time.

- The area west of the Arbandrine is Atruaghin territory (except for some fortified regions).
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Hugin wrote:Ah, I love exploring Mystara's history. Thanks for the map, Geoff!

My pleasure! I'm actually quite glad this thread is taking off - otherwise I don't know when I would have got around to finishing those maps and sharing them. At least this way they'll see the light of day.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:And now for the next map - 685 AC.

Hrm, those Malpheggi borders may negate my attempts to put the capital of the Duchy in the swamp. I think you just put my Malpheggi Keep hex into Darokin's territory :-)

No biggie, I'm not that tied to it, and I'm a little weak on the history of the Duchy of the Swamp. (Or is Athenos intended to be the capital? In that case, why is it the Duchy of Malpheggi, and not Athenos?)

Alternatively, when the Duchy expands north, it conquers a Darokin fortification (thus the 685 border), and that pushes the Duchy's border north. If so, maybe it really is Malpheggi Keep on that hex.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I stuck with Malpheggi out of habit - that's what Aaron called it, and I tried to retain his kingdom names wherever possible. As for what the capital was, I imagine Aaron planned it to be Athenos. That said, we can warp borders as necessary, as I don't want to kill the creative process here.

Perhaps there was a battle in which Malpheggi scored a decisive victory, and built the keep afterwards to cement its hold on the new territory?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I stuck with Malpheggi out of habit - that's what Aaron called it, and I tried to retain his kingdom names wherever possible. As for what the capital was, I imagine Aaron planned it to be Athenos. That said, we can warp borders as necessary, as I don't want to kill the creative process here.

Perhaps there was a battle in which Malpheggi scored a decisive victory, and built the keep afterwards to cement its hold on the new territory?

Works for me!

I'm not too deeply concerned, I as just trying to come up with names for the ruins dotting the swamp anyway, so tossed out a couple lines of backstory. This probably fits better and makes more sense. (Of course, one also wonders as to what extent the Duchy actually controls the swamp, vs. what it claims on paper...)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I doubt the duchy controlled much of the interior, outside of the occasional stronghold and the connecting roads/trails.

Which reminds me....

For realism's sake, we should probably add in roads to connect the more important towns in the historical maps. Of course, many of the roads leading to towns that no longer exist would be overgrown trails, at best, as of AC 1000. Nice little feature to drop into your campaign - the party is tramping across the countryside and comes across a stretch of paved road. Confused, they march down for a mile or two, and finally come across a stone marker. Still legibly carved into the stone is, "Tethrun, 10 miles".

They go down the road (now very perplexed), and finally crest a hill and see a great stone archway, flanked by a crumbling gatehouse. They walk through, and emerge into a meadow, but here and there a jagged pile of stones emerges from the grasses and shrubbery, and in other places straight furrows clearly indicate where streets once ran...

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Thinking about a map for Darokin for the year AC 900...what do we know (asuming we are using the shared timelines here)?

- Almarand still exists, but may have lost one or two border skirmishes with Darokin (most likely lesser lords pursuing their own feuds, while Darokin looks the other way).

- Corunglain remains a strong northern presence.

- Darokin controls the Ylari town of Parsa.

- Anything else?

I don't have the info handy, but I don't think anyone has ever established when exactly Malpheggi and Akorros/Amsorak were merged with Darokin. Did they remain independent until the Great Merger (as could be the case, and as I imagine Corunglain and Selenica did)? Thoughts are welcome.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Molharran (and etc.) Religion

Postby Gecko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Excellent maps!

Seer of Yhog wrote:This was a bit of a mistake, I think. Aaron and I had never discussed it, but I always felt that the strip of land west of Nethlinn, and west of the swamp, should be unclaimed (well, claimed by the Atruaghin peoples). Otherwise, it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare for Malpheggi to garrison that strip of land, since it could come under attack from many directions. Anyhow, just a thought.

sounds right, but when was Tenobar founded?

Bonetti wrote:I was also envisioning an animated file at some point, showing the changes over time.

and we still don't have a drooling smilie....

Something I've realised I need to consider for my Nagpuri ideals- what would the religion of these pre-darokinian groups, especially the Molharrans, be like? We can probably use the history section here for starters.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Bonetti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:19 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:Nice little feature to drop into your campaign - the party is tramping across the countryside and comes across a stretch of paved road. Confused, they march down for a mile or two, and finally come across a stone marker. Still legibly carved into the stone is, "Tethrun, 10 miles".[etc.]

One of the reasons I'm doing this is for the depth of history. Mystara has long had a strong historical sense, and I'm enjoying setting little adventure seeds up :-)

(It's the same fundamental idea as the river leading from a lake in Malpheggi Swamp to some ruins in the hills. I put it there to provide a geographical marker so the players can find the ruins from the (probably seasonal, possibly not) stream/river.)
Seer of Yhog wrote:I don't have the info handy, but I don't think anyone has ever established when exactly Malpheggi and Akorros/Amsorak were merged with Darokin. Did they remain independent until the Great Merger (as could be the case, and as I imagine Corunglain and Selenica did)? Thoughts are welcome.

I vote for until the Great Merger. Otherwise, there's not much to merge!
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

The Great Merger it is, then. Besides, the conquest of Almarand might have also been intended as a Darokinian threat (if we're being really Machiavellian here) to the other domains - let's sit down and talk or you might be next. It adds a slightly darker cast to the formation of Darokin - maybe it wasn't entirely done for the sake of common defence, trade, and the reduction of rivalries.

EDIT - 600 posts, woohoo!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Grats on 600 :-)

Added AC 685 to the earlier map post. The transparency is displaying weird in IE, but looks OK in FF. It's probably due to my drawing the borders outside the mask. Oh, well, I'll worry about cleaning it up later.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Previous

Return to Mystara