Poll: status of the Skywood elves

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.

Which of the following choiches would you like for the spacefaring Skywood elves?

Poll ended at Sun May 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Skywood elves come from the same plane of existence of Piazzaworld. Their empire is spread among nearby Piazzaworld's stars.
No votes
Skywood elves' empire is located in another plane of existence, and Piazzaworld solar system is actually an extraplanar colony of it.
20%
Skywood elves come from another planet of Piazzaworld's solar system. Their empire is actually limited to a few planets on it.
No votes
Same as 2) but the elves are already stranded on Piazzaworld. Their few spaceships are used to reach outposts in Piazzaworld's solar system.
80%

Total votes: 10

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Poll: status of the Skywood elves

Post by LoZompatore » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:44 pm

The status of the Skywood elves is of some concern to me, so I apoen this poll to see what is the general feeling about the whole matter.

As they are depicted until now, the Skywood elves are a race of space-faring, mild-imperialist, high-tech folks, who estabilished a colony and some outposts on Piazzaworld coming from the outer space. They are not an evil race, and their way to assimilate other world to their empire is extremely slow at best (centuries, if not millennia, of infiltration and cultural omologation: war is avoided in most circumstances), nevertheless their propaganda is pretty annoying and someway menacing to the other Piazzaworld's races. Their high-technology culture (which the elves do not willingly share with less advanced people) and the endless supplies they could receive any time from the rest of the empire prevents the possibility to drive the Skywoods away from the planet by violent ways.

At present, the stellar empire of the Skywoods is located in the same plane of existence of Piazzaworld (actually some of the nearby stars seen in Piazzaword's sky are part of the Skywood elves empire). These elves never reached Piazzaworld from dimensional breaches; instead, they landed on its surface like any other "average" technology-based space expolrer culture would do.
From a gaming point of wiev the Skywoods are an easy way to let PCs explore other worlds, both in Piazzaworld solar system and in nearby stars.

Now, given the fact that we are talking about religion and the creation of Piazzaworld by the intervention of some god, I'm wondering if the scenario above will not be in conflict with any cosmogony that will be determined by such discussion. If Piazzaworld and the Skywood empire are located in the same plane of existence, then it is likely that any god who created Piazzaworld should have also created the nearby stars, the Skywood elves and their empire.

Is this an acceptable assumption for our game setting?

If not, then we could say that the Skywood elves do not differ from the other Piazzaworld races, and they actually come from another plane of existence, where their empire is located. The dimensional door which led their spaceships to land on Piazzaworld is still open, so this race is not (yet) actually stranded there. It could be just a matter of time until the dimensional breach closes but, until now, this event did not happened and the Skywood spaceships are still trading with the other worlds of their empire, at the same time exploring Piazzaworld's star system and estabilishing a few colonies on it.
When the door will close, the stranded spacefaring elves could always be able to maintian most of their technology and start building a small spacefaring civilization spread through Piazzaworld solar system (in such a way a few other worlds will be still opened for PCs to explore).

I ask to you to vote which options would you like most from the poll above. A few other "mixed" options are included.
When the poll closes (end of May), I'll modify the entry for the Skywood elves accrodingly to the results of this poll.

If you have any other suggestion please post them below! ;)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Poll: status of the Skywood elves

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:16 pm

I'd rather have the piazzaworld solar system as a discrete limited entity that in theory could be contained within a normal-sized spelljammer-style crystal sphere (but leaving its status as crystal sphere or not undefined). The basic assumption should be that nothing exists beyond the solar system.

As for the elves, they sincerely believe that this world is just another star system in their galaxy, and they did indeed, as far as they can tell, arrive by flying through space. Not their fault they fell through an undetected portal. They literally have no idea that they are stranded and isolated from their star empire, and constantly tell everyone who will listen that they can expect reinforcements any month now. They may even have had reinforcements earlier, as the (rather large) portal was by chance still on the flight path, but the vagaries of astro-navigation mean that it will eventually drift out of that path, and almost certainly already has done so.

Given the long travel and communication times involved (they are essentially a sub-light star empire), the elves themselves are not concerned about the lack of communication with their homeworlds, although some have begun to quietly murmur among themselves about it.

tl;dr - The elves are as stranded as everyone else, only they don't know it yet.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Jakob_Pawlowicz
Orc
Location: Copenhagen, Kingdom of Denmark or Darokin City, Rep. of Darokin

Post by Jakob_Pawlowicz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:01 pm

I have voted to make the Skywood elves presence an extraplannar colony. Because it fits best with the worldorder we are pieceing together in the viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3501-thread
"Orcs do maintain the best dungeons.....!"

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:27 am

I also think they (and, by extension, everyone else) should be extra-planar to Piazzaworld. I prefer them to be stranded (knowingly or unaware), because if they can maintain a link to their home plane then surely some other races or powerful persons would also be able to. IMO that would destroy the nice concept of Piazzaworld as a wandering pocket universe.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:15 am

Vile wrote:I also think they (and, by extension, everyone else) should be extra-planar to Piazzaworld. I prefer them to be stranded (knowingly or unaware), because if they can maintain a link to their home plane then surely some other races or powerful persons would also be able to. IMO that would destroy the nice concept of Piazzaworld as a wandering pocket universe.
The way I understand it, since they are a sublight civilisation (both in terms of travel and in terms of communication), the lack of communication for an extended period is totally not a surprise for them.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 am

Yeah, I think it would be a nice twist. Other stranded people might be trying to discover how the Skywood elves have managed to maintain their connection to their home plane, when in actual fact there is no connection! The best way of keeping the secret is the fact that the elves themselves don't know the truth (yet). There's a whole chain of scenarios in there ... :)

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 am

Your suggestions are very neat. I think that the idea of having the Skywood elves not really aware of their isolation could lead to many interesting developments! :D

Let's see what the poll results will be, anyway.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Ashtagon wrote:tl;dr - The elves are as stranded as everyone else, only they don't know it yet.
If you are going to add space elves, then the logical thing to do would be to make them into marooned space elves.

If you give them a backstory where their ancestors came from space, but the people that know how to travel through space somehow got killed, that would provide an option where poeple could have an expedition arrive and come looking for them. (So there would be a Spelljammer/Dragonstar/Space 1889 adventure hook, without changing The Edge from being a ground-based campaign setting.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Edge”