Humans of the Savage Coast

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Humans of the Savage Coast

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 pm

How does this seem to you?

Alasiyans (Saragon): These people hail from Ylaruam and their culture now resembles that of Moorish Spain. They speak Alasiyan.
Eusdrians (Eusdria) Of ancient Antalian descent. They speak Eusdrian, which is very close to Antalian.
Espans (Torreón, Narvaez): These people are of mixed Kerendan and Oltec origins (Based on Spanish).
Huleans (Hule): Sinister Huleans may be encountered anywhere.
Oltecs (Everywhere): These are no longer as sophisticated as the Oltecs of the Hollow World. They make up the lower classes in the Savage Baronies or live in the wild.
Robrenners (Robrenn): Descendants of the Antalians of Carnuil people, the Robrenners may be related to the peoples of the Isle of Dawn. Their language is called Rannox.
Traladarans (Hojah, Nova Svoga, Slagovich, Zagora, Zvornik): The majority of the inhabitants of the City States are of Traldar origins. They speak Slagich, a language close to Traladaran.
Verdans (Vilaverde, Texeiras): These are a mix of Oltec natives and Thyatian and Traldar settlers. They speak Verdan. (Based on Portuguese)
Yavi (Yavdlom): Not truly part of the Savage Coast, these people have contact with the City States. They show some elven traits. Their native tongue is called Yavi.

The common tongue of the Savage Coast is called Slag and is very close to Thyatian.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Humans of the Savage Coast

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Havard wrote:Verdans (Vilaverde, Texeiras): These are a mix of Oltec natives and Thyatian and Traldar settlers. They speak Verdan. (Based on Portuguese)
There is also a lot of Yavdlom blood in these people (Texeiras absorbed a Yavdlom colony at one point, and Vilaverde intermingled with the Yavi people quite a bit over the years).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:There is also a lot of Yavdlom blood in these people (Texeiras absorbed a Yavdlom colony at one point, and Vilaverde intermingled with the Yavi people quite a bit over the years).
Cool, thanks. BTW, what would be a good R/W equivalent for the Yavi?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:There is also a lot of Yavdlom blood in these people (Texeiras absorbed a Yavdlom colony at one point, and Vilaverde intermingled with the Yavi people quite a bit over the years).
Cool, thanks. BTW, what would be a good R/W equivalent for the Yavi?
Nevermind, I just remembered that they are related to the Tanagoro and Pearl Islanders...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 am

Havard wrote:Cool, thanks. BTW, what would be a good R/W equivalent for the Yavi?
As you point out, they're related to the Tanagoro/Pearl Islanders. If I ever get around to finishing some work I'd been doing with the Serpent Peninsula, I'd planned to introduce several African themed cultures to the region (not just the people of the Divinarchy of Yavdlom proper, which- IMO- is pretty much just the inhabitants of Thanegia Island and not the peninsula itself).

My primary inspiration for those cultures was/is central and west Africa (with some of the borderland regions around the neck of the peninsula based on north African cultures). Yavdlom is kind of unique due to its depictions in Princess Ark and later development, but I'd kind of considered basing its history and culture around the Ghana and Mali empires of African history. In particular one of the two (I'd have to check my notes I made a long time ago), I recall reading how it was either trade or metalwork that gave rise to the development of an elite noble caste and thence the development of their empirical beginnings. I was going to replace that with the seers, obviously, and go from there.

Anyway, yet more vaporware in my head for Mystara.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Havard wrote:How does this seem to you?

Espans (Torreón, Narvaez): These people are of mixed Kerendan and Oltec origins (Based on Spanish).
The Savage Coast material states that the Ispans came from Kerendas. I guess you're saying they became Espans after mixing with Oltecs from the Savage Coast, right?

An implication I'm working with is that the original Lawful Brotherhood were an offshoot of the Church of Thyatis. Although the main Ispan migration was c. 900 AC, the "missions" (outposts) of the Lawful Brotherhood could certainly have been established much earlier.

Another possibility is to link the Lawful Brotherhood with the original Traladaran migration, but I think the Traladarans settled in the area that was to become the City States, not the Savage Coast. (Also, the Traladarans were more like refugees, whereas the Lawful Brotherhood would have had plenty of resources to draw upon from their "base" in Kerendas or elsewhere in Thyatis).
Havard wrote:Oltecs (Everywhere): These are no longer as sophisticated as the Oltecs of the Hollow World. They make up the lower classes in the Savage Baronies or live in the wild.
I think modeling the present-day Oltecs after the Atruaghin Children of the Bear works really well (with others more along the Atruaghin Children of the Tiger/Viper in the jungles of the coast).

Actually, I was thinking about how much better the Atruaghin Gaz fits out west. We could have Children of the Turtle on the West Coast of Brun (on the other side of the mountains), Children of the Horse in and around the Yazak steppes (as Rasmussen apparently intended to model the pagans of the Savage Coast after North American Plains Indians) and Children of the Elk further north (off the map).

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:05 pm

[snip]
Looks good - I do have one minor nitpick: The language of the people of Robrenn is called Ranax, IIRC.

What sort of people live in Almarrón and Gargona? I thought the Gargonans, at least, were Espan.

In the case of Saragon, given the place and NPC names, I would suggest that they speak a dialect of Espan heavily influenced by Alasiyan, or perhaps Alasiyan is a court language.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 pm

paleologos wrote:

The Savage Coast material states that the Ispans came from Kerendas. I guess you're saying they became Espans after mixing with Oltecs from the Savage Coast, right?

An implication I'm working with is that the original Lawful Brotherhood were an offshoot of the Church of Thyatis. Although the main Ispan migration was c. 900 AC, the "missions" (outposts) of the Lawful Brotherhood could certainly have been established much earlier.
Keeping them as Ispans, ie identical to Kerendans would be even easier, actually.

Another possibility is to link the Lawful Brotherhood with the original Traladaran migration, but I think the Traladarans settled in the area that was to become the City States, not the Savage Coast. (Also, the Traladarans were more like refugees, whereas the Lawful Brotherhood would have had plenty of resources to draw upon from their "base" in Kerendas or elsewhere in Thyatis).
I like the idea of linking the Lawful Brotherhood to the Ispans/Thyatis! AC900 is the date of the main migration, but the outposts could certainly be much older. Would they be linked to Vanya and Ixion perhaps?

Havard wrote:Oltecs (Everywhere): These are no longer as sophisticated as the Oltecs of the Hollow World. They make up the lower classes in the Savage Baronies or live in the wild.
I think modeling the present-day Oltecs after the Atruaghin Children of the Bear works really well (with others more along the Atruaghin Children of the Tiger/Viper in the jungles of the coast).

Actually, I was thinking about how much better the Atruaghin Gaz fits out west. We could have Children of the Turtle on the West Coast of Brun (on the other side of the mountains), Children of the Horse in and around the Yazak steppes (as Rasmussen apparently intended to model the pagans of the Savage Coast after North American Plains Indians) and Children of the Elk further north (off the map).
Now that is interesting! This allows us to make use of the Atruaghin Gazetteer for the Savage Coast as well. I don't subscribe to the idea of removing them from the Known World, but I do like the idea of having similar cultures in the west.

My original understanding was that these Oltecs were more like South American Indians (Post-Colonialism).

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Havard wrote:I like the idea of linking the Lawful Brotherhood to the Ispans/Thyatis! AC900 is the date of the main migration, but the outposts could certainly be much older. Would they be linked to Vanya and Ixion perhaps?
I've always thought that the Lawful Brotherhood had great potential. It makes sense that they would have been from somewhere. What was the Church of Thyatis like circa 500-900 AC?

Havard wrote:Now that is interesting! This allows us to make use of the Atruaghin Gazetteer for the Savage Coast as well. I don't subscribe to the idea of removing them from the Known World, but I do like the idea of having similar cultures in the west.
I agree with keeping the Atruaghin clans in the Known World, but having similar clans out west provides a better reason for why the clans are so different (their cultures evolved out west, perhaps?). It's the only Gazetteer I haven't actually read cover to cover - maybe it's time to take it down off the shelf!

It helps that Merle seems to have been thinking of North America as the template for Western Brun (maybe we'll even get the chance to ask him!)

Havard wrote:My original understanding was that these Oltecs were more like South American Indians (Post-Colonialism).
The Oltecs, maybe, although I was thinking more Central America. I'm basing my comments more on the natives and savages as described in X9, however, rather than later works.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 am

Havard wrote:Robrenners (Robrenn): Descendants of the Antalians of Carnuil people, the Robrenners may be related to the peoples of the Isle of Dawn. Their language is called Rannox.
Bruce probably included these because of the pagans in the Neutral Alliance camp in X9. They're robed and carrying swords, and their description in the appendix is lifted from X2 with its mention of druids.

The one thing I can't figure out is why they're using teepees...

Patrick
Bugbear

Post by Patrick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:50 am

Seer of Yhog wrote: Looks good - I do have one minor nitpick: The language of the people of Robrenn is called Ranax, IIRC.

What sort of people live in Almarrón and Gargona? I thought the Gargonans, at least, were Espan.

In the case of Saragon, given the place and NPC names, I would suggest that they speak a dialect of Espan heavily influenced by Alasiyan, or perhaps Alasiyan is a court language.
Yep--from what I recall and/or interpreted, Almarron, Gargona, Cimmarrron, Guadalente were all primarily Espan, with Alasiyan influences added in Saragon and maybe Traladaran influence in Cimarron.

And I agree that Alasiyan should either just be a strong influence in Saragon or else a court language.

Return to “Savage Coast”