The Expansion Series

Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, OldDawg

OldDawg
Troll

The Expansion Series

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:05 am

The Expansion Series

This is basically similar to the Adventure Series to complete Norwold, but showcasing the classic areas of the B/X modules. This working group is very rough at the moment, and likely will linger for a while unless someone else would like to take a lead role.
  • GAZ XF1 The Islands of Dread (ant. TBA)
  • GAZ XF2 The Burning Sands of Sind (Not the Kingdom, ant. TBA)
  • GAZ XF3 The Hidden Dangers of The Black Mountains (ant. TBA)
  • GAZ XF4 Adri Varma's Black Rock (ant. TBA)
  • GAZ XF5 A Peninsula of Serpents (ant. TBA)
-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: The Expansion Series

Post by Gawain_VIII » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:otherwise, the setting will look like a cartoonish mish-mash that's been glued together...
No, no, no! You've got it wrong. That was the Ierendi Gaz. :lol:
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 pm

:shock:

I was hoping that unfortunate piece would be forgotten. IMO, the alternative gaz developed by our community was far more interesting.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote: No, no, no! You've got it wrong. That was the Ierendi Gaz. :lol:
Seer of Yhog wrote::shock:
I was hoping that unfortunate piece would be forgotten. IMO, the alternative gaz developed by our community was far more interesting.
Geoff
I'm probably in the shrinking minority who actually liked Gaz4, moreso now than I did when it first came out. It has a number of strong elements to create a long-term, serious campaign - even of epic proportions. Elemental war, the return of the Dark Powers of Nithia, the sectarian skullduggery between the the People's Temple and the Sanctuary of the Eternal Truth, the lurking lizardman threat, piracy - you're telling me you can't work with that? :|

There is a great deal more readily available in Ierendi than, say, in either Alphatia or Thyatis from DotE.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:43 pm

One more topic (for the cartographers):

the Isle of Dread's coastline and size differ at the various scales of presentation (Thorf mentioned this ages ago on the WotC board), how should be approach this matter?

-OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:50 pm

OldDawg wrote:I'm probably in the shrinking minority who actually liked Gaz4, moreso now than I did when it first came out. It has a number of strong elements to create a long-term, serious campaign - even of epic proportions. Elemental war, the return of the Dark Powers of Nithia, the sectarian skullduggery between the the People's Temple and the Sanctuary of the Eternal Truth, the lurking lizardman threat, piracy - you're telling me you can't work with that? :|
Having reread the Ierendi Gaz fairly recently I have come to realize that you are right. There is plenty of cool stuff in it and its bad reputation is probably exaggerated. It is just that if you read through it rather quickly you are likely to miss all the cool stuff and be left with a general impression that this country is basically about Hawaiian Hoola Dancers and Amusement Parks.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 am

OldDawg wrote:One more topic (for the cartographers):

the Isle of Dread's coastline and size differ at the various scales of presentation (Thorf mentioned this ages ago on the WotC board), how should be approach this matter?

-OldDawg
I believe Thorf's philosophy is to declare the smallest scale map to be the most accurate so I'd think X1 takes precedence.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:54 pm

OldDawg wrote:I'm probably in the shrinking minority who actually liked Gaz4, moreso now than I did when it first came out.
Don't get me wrong, I like Gaz4--at least the setting itself. The layout of the Gaz leaves me wanting (personally, I think the layout used in Gaz1 is the best of the entire line), but the mix-match of cultures and the tongue-in-cheek style it was presented in I quite enjoy. While humor was easily noticable, there was quite a bit of detail that can be used for the more serious gamer.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm

OldDawg wrote:Elemental war, the return of the Dark Powers of Nithia, the sectarian skullduggery between the the People's Temple and the Sanctuary of the Eternal Truth, the lurking lizardman threat, piracy - you're telling me you can't work with that?
I can work with it as long as there is a logical narrative underwriting the whole thing. I suppose I should have been clearer about that from the outset. Allowing different themes for the islands is great, and could be very interesting, as long as we work to ensure that there is a reason why they are that way, and we ensure that the pieces fit together in such a way that the setting as a whole presents a harmonious whole. The themes you presents would all work well together if we get the history right. That's all I was trying to say there.

Perhaps I should step back and re-read GAZ 4, but it seemed to me that the tongue-in-cheek element (while enjoyable in its own right) was grafted onto what I found to be a sound history (Taymor, former Thyatian penal colony, hin pirates, even the kingship-by-contest idea worked for me)

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 am

With the Sea of Dread there is the potential to have a variety of flavor across the islands, lets just make sure that they all have some sort of historical perpective vs. just being plopped because they sound neat. I'm not trying to sound like a donkey, just my feeling about Gaz4 is that it was at least in part a little of "hey, we haven't put this in yet lets throw it in here" and it came out sounding/feeling comical to some.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:56 am

Thorf wrote:Wow... I have a philosophy...
Of course you have a philosophy, oh High Lord of Mystara mapping! :)
metal
Long live Mystara

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:00 am

What surprised me is that I had missed the difference in size between the maps in X1 for 25+ years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
metal
Long live Mystara

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:14 am

Seer of Yhog wrote: Perhaps I should step back and re-read GAZ 4, but it seemed to me that the tongue-in-cheek element (while enjoyable in its own right) was grafted onto what I found to be a sound history (Taymor, former Thyatian penal colony, hin pirates, even the kingship-by-contest idea worked for me)
metal wrote:With the Sea of Dread there is the potential to have a variety of flavor across the islands, lets just make sure that they all have some sort of historical perpective vs. just being plopped because they sound neat. I'm not trying to sound like a donkey, just my feeling about Gaz4 is that it was at least in part a little of "hey, we haven't put this in yet lets throw it in here" and it came out sounding/feeling comical to some.
Well the early development was done by Ken Rolston, who had also designed Gaz2. My guess is, a majority of the serious bits came from him, while Ann McCready's role was to make material feel more like Bruce's style as seen in Gaz3.

The celebrity kingship was original to X1, however.

-OD

Return to “GazF Mystara”