Flying Ships

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."

Flying Ships

Postby Havard » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 am

The only game I played in Talislanta featured Flying Ships. Of course, I love the concept. How common are flying ships in Talislanta? Who makes them?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Flying Ships

Postby Mulsiphix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 pm

First and foremost you should take a look at Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships. This shows you all you need to know regarding windships themselves but it doesn't cover the history of racial/cultural details of them. So I've dug into the 4E core rulebook and quoted every occurrence of windship I felt was appropriate/useful pertaining your question(s) in some way.

In summation Windships are very expensive to build, buy, and operate so few people can even afford to ride one. In theory it is possible for anybody to acquire a windship but only because windships can be stolen, sold, traded, salvaged, etc... The Phantasians and the Farad are the only races capable of manufacturing Windships. Cymrillians are rather wealthy and a strong ally with the Phantasians so they have an armada or two of various windships. The Farad have been known to sell ships to the Rajans. You can find different types of windships, their descriptions, and basic stats on pages 463-464 and the quote from page 468 below explains a little about how they work.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of information strewn throughout many of the Tal books. However, the 4th edition core rulebook was all of the information for the first three editions plus a bunch of new information all jammed into one large tome. The 4E Guide To Windships expands on the information quoted below. A good deal of the 5th edition material is just rehashed material from 4E. Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't look into the other editions as plenty of information is cut when consolidation of information takes place. I figured this was the best bang for your buck in regards to information and my free time at 5:40AM :lol:.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 113 wrote:Where methods of land and water travel fail, there is always the possibility of obtaining passage on a windship. These wondrous vessels traverse the air as sailing ships do the water. They are so costly to make and maintain, however, that few can afford to own such magnificent craft.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 119 wrote:Cymril is a fabulous city of crystal towers, domes,and elevated causeways. Here, the Cymrilian magicians practice their arts, creating wondrous windships, potions, powders and other magical adjuncts.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 121 wrote:Cymril is protected by powerful armada of windships and airborne troop carriers, which are commanded by skilled swordsmages.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 255 wrote:The Phantasians are believed to be descended from the Archaens of ancient Elande, a great sky-city that was destroyed during the Great Disaster. Refugees fleeing from Elande in windships settled on Phantas, where they built Cabal Magicus.

Phantasians have forgotten much of the fabled knowledge possessed by their ancient ancestors. Among the few secrets left to them are the talents associated with the building of windships and the art of distilling dream essence.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 256 wrote:Some of the talents of the old Archaen sorcerers are still evident among the Phantasians, though these are limited to a few dints of thaumaturgy, sorcery, and windship arcanology

Once well-fortified against attack, Cabal Magicus had a large fleet of windships and numerous heavy weapons such as fire-throwers, bombastions, etc. Most of the fleet is now gone, and many of the weapons are so old that they may not work.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 257 wrote:Phantasian Dream Merchants still sail across the skies of Talislanta in their archaic windships, carrying Phantasian goods to such far-distant lands as Cymril, the City State of Hadj, Thaecia, Zandu, Faradun, and the Kang Empire.

Cymril remains Phantas’ closest ally, though the relationship shows signs of strain. Some members of the Phantasian Cabal have proposed that Phantas should sell windship arcanology to underdeveloped countries in exchange for gold. The Cymrilians oppose such actions, which they regard as irresponsible. An anonymous consortium of foreign investors has offered to acquire a controlling interest in Cabal Magicus. However, so far the Phantasian Cabal has resisted such a plan. A disturbing threat may be posed by the Farad and Rajans, both of whom now possess limited windshiparcanology.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 262 wrote:An exceptionally attractive people, Thiasians are greatly-favored by other races both as performers and consorts. Some travel to the mainland on the windships of wealthy Cymrilians, who come to Thaecia in numbers during the Festival of the Bizarre.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 280 wrote:Faradun has no army of its own, but hires foreign mercenaries to protect its holdings, properties, and its fleet of merchant vessels. In recent years Faradun has begun to produce windships. Some claim that the Farad stole the arcanology required to construct such vessels from the Cymrilians. However, the Farad say that they discovered this information in the Hadjin Tombs.

The Farad’s unscrupulous trade policies have brought them great prosperity, as well as the enmity of many Talislantans. Following the sale of windship arcanology to the Rajans, Farad mongers and procurers were banned from both the Seven Kingdoms and Carantheum.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 289 wrote:The Rajans are believed to be constructing a fleet of windships, having recently acquired windship arcanology from the Farad.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 463-464 wrote:Six windships are discussed is detail and art is provided for each ship.

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 468 wrote:Levitationals are enchanted apparatus used to imbue windships with the ability to float in the air. The older version of this mechanism consists of a seven inch square crystalline chest in which a small, gold replica of a windship is suspended in a special liquid called levitational fluid. The newer version consists of a metal box containing an enchanted crystal and a single control lever, and it is much more reliable. Both versions can only be made by a skilled artificers and enchanters. In order to be effective, the levitationals must be installed in a secure place below decks. Finding a qualified magician or technomancer to perform this crucial undertaking for less than one thousand gold lumens is a practical impossibility.
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 am

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 121 wrote:Cymril is protected by powerful armada of windships and airborne troop carriers, which are commanded by skilled swordsmages.

"Airborne troop carriers"? :? :shock: 8-)

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 463-464 wrote:Six windships are discussed is detail and art is provided for each ship.

I must go and give Azaghal a poke. He is looking for new ships at the moment. 8-)

4E, Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 468 wrote:Levitationals are enchanted apparatus used to imbue windships with the ability to float in the air. The older version of this mechanism consists of a seven inch square crystalline chest in which a small, gold replica of a windship is suspended in a special liquid called levitational fluid. The newer version consists of a metal box containing an enchanted crystal and a single control lever, and it is much more reliable. Both versions can only be made by a skilled artificers and enchanters. In order to be effective, the levitationals must be installed in a secure place below decks. Finding a qualified magician or technomancer to perform this crucial undertaking for less than one thousand gold lumens is a practical impossibility.

Hmm. This sounds like something all Spelljammer fans would be interested in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azaghal » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 am

There is a reason I mentioned Talislantan windships in that thread! :d
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 am

Azaghal wrote:There is a reason I mentioned Talislantan windships in that thread! :d

Bah! :lol:
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azaghal » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:34 am

Big Mac wrote:

"Airborne troop carriers"? :? :shock: 8-)

This is the first I have heard of the airborne troop carriers. Are they just windships with a lot of marines onboard, or are they something else?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:59 am

More reading, lol. I'll try to find out. Really we need to get some of the people from the yahoo group over here.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Mulsiphix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:20 am

Big Mac wrote:This is the first I have heard of the airborne troop carriers. Are they just windships with a lot of marines onboard, or are they something else?

This is a difficult question to answer as most information regarding windships lacks a lot of detail. Now the Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships book shed quite a bit of light on the subject. Unfortunately it is very lacking on Windships of War which what I believe airborne troop carriers refers to. I say this because of the size difference between a A Windship of War (military vessels exceeding 150 feet in length, and requiring a crew of up to 150 seasoned airmen.) and the next smallest ship class, the Windship (larger craft, 50 or so feet in length, crewed by anywhere from 15 to 30 airmen). To further your education, here are the windship images from A Guide To Windships; note I have no picture of a Windship of War :cry:. Click to enlarge, full sized images are 1024px wide and the height varies;

Image - - - - - - - - - - Image - - - - - - - - - - Image - - - - - - - - - - Image

Image - - - - - - - - - - Image - - - - - - - - - - Image - - - - - - - - - - Image

Azaghal wrote:Really we need to get some of the people from the yahoo group over here.
This forum will be announced officially in the news article for 6/28. Already done and scheduled :P . I'm really hopeful that some other folks will start to visit regularly. Although if not I'm completely dedicated to answering all the questions I am mentally competent/capable of :lol:
No Elves! Talislanta released for FREE Apr 1st 2010! - - - - - - - - - -1980's Talislanta Gencon Ad and Poster
20yr RPG, 30 books @ approx 5,000 combined pages! - - - - - - - - - Interview with creator Stephan Michael Sechi
Download the Talislanta library or take a Virtual Tour! - - - - - - - - -The Tal Scanning Project needs your help!
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Mulsiphix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:14 am

I have found some new information;

Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships, page 14 wrote:Windships are normally divided into four categories:

Windriggers: small one- or two-person craft, seldom more than 20 feet in length;
Windskiffs: vessels up to 40 feet or so in size, usually with a crew of ten;
Windships: larger craft, 50 or so feet in length, crewed by anywhere from 15 to 30 airmen; and
Windships of War: military vessels exceeding 150 feet in length, and requiring a crew of up to 150 seasoned airmen.

Talislanta Fantasy Roleplay, pages 463-464 wrote:12. Windrigger
These craft were originally intended for use as lifeboats on larger vessels, such as the aerial warships employed by the Phantasians. The ships proved to be quite versatile and were soon adapted to other purposes as well. Windriggers are swifter and much more maneuverable than windships, and they are considerably
less expensive. They have a cargo capacity of only about 1,500 pounds, however, and are not particularly sturdy or stable in flight.

Size: Up to 20' in length.
Speed: Cruise at +3 (18 mph); top speed +5 (23 mph); older versions cruise at -1 (10 mph) with top speed +4 (20 mph).

13. Windskiff
These small windships are used as patrol vessels in the Seven Kingdoms military. They are single-masted and rigged with fore and aft spinifax sails. The armament consists of a single forward-mounted heavy ballista. There is a large forecastle cabin and three small cabins within the aftcastle. The standard crew consists of an
aerial captain, a first officer, a windpilot, and seven Cymrilian swordsmages.

Size: 40' in length, 15' in width.
Speed: Cruise at +4 (20 mph); top speed +6 (25 mph).

14. Windship
These magnificent vessels were originally created by the ancient Archaens as a means of traveling to and from their fabulous sky-cities. In modern times, the secret
of their construction is thought to be known only to the Cymrilians, Phantasians, Farad, and Rajans. Windships are far from common, and the costs entailed in their
construction and maintenance are prohibitive. These vessels traverse the air, powered by sails and kept aloft by magical apparatus known as levitationals. Although
windships can travel great distances in a single day, they can be difficult to maneuver and land, and their lightweight construction leaves them somewhat fragile and with minimal cargo capacity. Accordingly, windships are considered frivolous and extravagant by most Talislantans.

Size: Up to 50' in length.
Speed: Cruise at +5 (23 mph); top speed +7 (27 mph); older versions cruise at 0 (11 mph) with top speed +4 (20mph).

15. Windship of War
These vessels are the largest windships in existence. The ships are equipped with six masts, four light ballistae, and four heavy ballistae. Drop hatches built into the flat-bottomed hull allow Blue Aeriad troops or alchemical agents to be dropped upon enemy forces on the ground. The hull is constructed in four levels, with sufficient space to house a crew of over one hundred and fifty.

Size: Up to 175' in length, 40' in width.
Speed: Cruise at +5 (23 mph); top speed +7 (27 mph); older versions cruise at +3 (18 mph) with top speed +5 (23 mph).

Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 121 wrote:Cymril is protected by powerful armada of windships and airborne troop carriers, which are commanded by skilled swordsmages.

The Cymrillian Swordsmage archetype reads;
Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships, page 24 wrote:It’s difficult not to love magic. You are not so enamored of the theories behind it or the beauty of its form, as so many Cymrilians are. You love it for its effects, for the way in which you can use it in your chosen profession - as a swordsmage. You train intensely to improve your skill with the sword, and you have great respect for warriors such as the Thralls. Yet your arcane blade provides you with a keen advantage over others, and your own Order is a more potent weapon yet. The windship is your passion. Since you were a youth, fresh to the armada, you learned to climb riggings, care for levitationals, consult navigational charts, pilot riggers and skiffs. Someday you may take the time to visit other lands. Perhaps you and the companions you find will buy your own vessel to cross the skies for commerce or adventure. Such a life would hold many glories. Or perhaps you will become a captain of your own windship of war, leading the Seven Kingdoms into battle against its enemies. In the skies over fields of battle, you will show the world why you love magic.

Here are the two spells a swordsmage will use the most;
Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 85 wrote:Arcane Armament (Conjuration)
Duration:
10 minutes
Range: 50 feet

For a sword:
Casting Modifiers: -10 (1st level, -9 for extra duration)
Description: A favorite of swordsmages everywhere,
this spell is taught throughout the continent. When it
is cast, a sword made of glowing energy forms in the
hands of the caster or any chosen recipient within range.
The blade has a weight of 6lbs, a DR of 8, a minimum
strength of 0, and sheds a faint nimbus of light equal to
a candle flame.

For a suit of armor:
Casting Modifiers: -15 (6th level, -9 for extra duration)
Description: When this spell is cast, a suit of chain mail
forms around the body of the caster or any chosen
recipient in range. The armor weighs 40 lbs, a PR of 5, a
minimum strength of +3, and sheds an arcane light equal
to an oil lamp.

It is worth noting that these armoured troop carriers aren't likely to be traveling alone. Cymrillian troops are made up of the following which I'm sure are taken along for the ride on long distance assaults;
Talislanta Fantasy Roleplaying, page 121 wrote:divisions of Thrall infantry and mangonel lizard cavalry, Blue Aeriad scouts, Gnomekin infantry, Kasmir engineers, and Sindaran alchemists.

Now a little about windship combat;
Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships, pages 20-21 wrote:Unlike hand-to-hand combat, attacking from below is more advantageous than attacking from above where windships are concerned. Ship-mounted weapons cannot aim lower than the plane described by the Green Moon, and often times cannot even depress that far. However, almost all ship-mounted weapons can elevate to reach targets in the plane of the Amber Moon, although range is halved in this extreme case.

Windships are not at all easily-maneuverable, nor should they be steered this way and that, as the wind direction is unfavorable at certain angles. Fancy flying pilots often find themselves turned around the wrong direction and unable to move, as the wind is coming from the wrong direction. Careful piloting must be practiced in order to avoid this potentially fatal aspect of windship combat. Movement rates for different vessels depend
entirely on their size. While different designs and sail arrangements do factor in to the movement, the benefits or hindrances they offer are minor.

The Golden Rule of Windship Combat is this: when in doubt, use fire. Fire is the bane of windships, as they are built of delicate woods and spinifax sails, which tend to ignite with a distressing ease. The private windship owner has two main tactics at his disposal:

1) Burn from Below: Missle weapons whose heads are set afire can be shot up into the Underrigging or -- more desirable -- the hull of the opposing windship.Depending on the type of flame used, the opposing windship can catch fire quickly and spread at an alarming rate, forcing the target to break off the attack and tend to the flames. This allows the attacker a chance to flee.

2) Drop from Above: Not as desirable as the first option, since it leaves the Underside exposed. This method involves dropping various materials on the opposing ship’s decks and Up rigging. Materials include (but are not limited to): fire, slippery substances, sharp objects to get underfoot, and so on. This tactic is best used as a sneak attack.

Military Combat Tactics involve a number of devices and armaments available (usually) only to the following governments:

1) Cymril: Alongside the regular ballistae, the Air Navy of the Seven Kingdoms often employ Dracartan Hurlants, which are always loaded with Red
Menace (used to start opposing vessels on fire) or Blue Havoc (meant to make rigging and sails brittle enough for the wind to shatter them). Other ammunition can include: red-hot chains shot into sails and rigging, red-hot or sharp shards shot onto the deck or into the opposing windship’s crewmen, magic devices, et cetera. Windships of War will also employ Arimite Fire-Throwers on occasion.

2) Phantas: The main weapon of Phantasian windships is the wizard. Magicians often line up on deck or belowdeck (using portholes) to fire attack-based spells broadsides at an opponent. Other than that, Phantasians usually use standard windship armament: ballistae of various sizes.

3) Rajanistan and Faradun: The Rajans and Farad are fond of utilizing Rajan Springals, both to cut sails and rigging as well as crewmen. They also use Fire-Throwers to set enemy ships alight.
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:55 am

IIRC this pic (image to large) is actually of a much larger windship of war with a more normal sized one place in the picture to show scale. The 6th one which shows 2 ships.
Mulsiphix wrote:

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Mulsiphix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:00 am

Azaghal wrote:IIRC this pic (image to large) is actually of a much larger windship of war with a more normal sized one place in the picture to show scale. The 6th one which shows 2 ships.
I'm confused on what exactly your saying here. Which image is of a much larger windship of war? The 6th image contains two ships that were thrown into the footnotes of page 2 and page 24 of the Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships book. I grabbed them both simply because they were of ships that are not pictured anywhere else (to my knowledge)
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby BlackBat242 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:25 pm

The rows of portholes on the main ship in the pic match the "The hull is constructed in four levels" comment in the description "15. Windship of War".

To me, the other ship is simply another "Windship of War" of slightly differing (and smaller) design, far to the side of and slightly behind the closer ship. The ram/piercing bows on both ships supports this conclusion, as these are the only ships to sport this feature.

Azaghal wrote:IIRC this pic (image to large) is actually of a much larger windship of war with a more normal sized one place in the picture to show scale. The 6th one which shows 2 ships.
Mulsiphix wrote:

Image - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, yes... this illustration is on page 18 of the Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships, accompanied by this text (which mentions the illustration)
Archaen Designs
With the opening of the vaults in the Lyceum Arcanum, a dazzling array of new possibilities opened for our society. This also included windship arcanology and lore, for the Lyceum archives contained drafts and illustrations dating back to the Forgotten Age. The most impressive of these was the Moonstar, an Erythrian Windship of War. This vessel was truly a shock to modern windshipwrights.

Overall, the vessel is estimated to be over 450 feet in length, some 90 feet abeam and 150 feet tall--not including masts.

Weaponry seems to have included some sort of bombastion or catapults mounted on the foc’sle, as well as what appear to be two rows of heavy ballistae amidships. With four masts Up and four Under, it is believed that this behemoth was powered by well over 20
thousand square feet of sail. Modern windshipwrights and airmen both estimate the crew at over 500 hands.

A smaller windship peeks out from the starboard side, apparently meant to give a sense of scale. The author has also highlighted a figure
in red on the foc’sle, in order to further give measure of the sheer bulk of this vessel.

One can only imagine what the Moonstar must have looked like over the skies of ancient Talislanta. One can almost see hundreds of Battle-Mages stationed at portholes in the fore- and aftcastles, launching identical spells of devastation on cue; hundreds of lances of red-hot magical death firing broadsides at an unlucky foe.

Then again, one can only imagine what they possibly could have been shooting at. Our Forgotten-Age forefathers were somewhat lacking in sky-borne threats. The few which existed--natural airborne animals--surely did not warrant such a floating city of war.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Mulsiphix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Ahh I understand now :lol:. It is a plus sized windship of war :D

Riding The Sky: A Guide To Windships, page 17 wrote:With the opening of the vaults in the Lyceum Arcanum, a dazzling array of new possibilities opened for our society. This also included windship arcanology and lore, for the Lyceum archives contained drafts and illustrations dating back to the Forgotten Age. The most impressive of these was the Moonstar, an Erythrian Windship of War. This vessel was truly a shock to modern windshipwrights.

Overall, the vessel is estimated to be over 450 feet in length, some 90 feet abeam and 150 feet tall--not including masts.

Weaponry seems to have included some sort of bombastion or catapults mounted on the foc’sle, as well as what appear to be two rows of heavy ballistae amidships. With four masts Up and four Under, it is believed that this behemoth was powered by well over 20 thousand square feet of sail. Modern windshipwrights and airmen both estimate the crew at over 500 hands.

A smaller windship peeks out from the starboard side, apparently meant to give a sense of scale. The author has also highlighted a figure in red on the foc’sle, in order
to further give measure of the sheer bulk of this vessel.

One can only imagine what the Moonstar must have looked like over the skies of ancient Talislanta. One can almost see hundreds of Battle-Mages stationed at portholes in the fore- and aftcastles, launching identical spells of devastation on cue; hundreds of lances of red-hot magical death firing broadsides at an unlucky foe.

Then again, one can only imagine what they possibly could have been shooting at. Our Forgotten-Age forefathers were somewhat lacking in sky-borne threats. The few which existed--natural airborne animals--surely did not warrant such a floating city of war.
Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion, that was exactly what I was referring to.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Wow, these ships are awesome! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Azaghal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 am

That they are, I know Mystara also has flying ships. (reading deep in the forums) how do they compare, are there illustrations? For comparative purposes.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Azaghal wrote:That they are, I know Mystara also has flying ships. (reading deep in the forums) how do they compare, are there illustrations? For comparative purposes.

Not a lot of illustration IIRC. There are some shaped like giant eagles, but most tent to look like regular sailing ships. These illustrations could easily be used for Mystaran ships.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:Image - - - - - - - - - -

Comparing ships to Mystaran vessels, this one reminds me alot of the Princess Ark, the Iconic Mystaran Flying Ship, actually. 8-)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Mulsiphix » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:58 pm

I found two examples over at Geekdo of Mystara ships. I found plenty of information on the internet but these are all I could dig up image wise.

From Heroes of the Princess Ark

Mulsiphix
Troll

Postby Chimpman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm

The Dragon Mag archives (Princess Arc articles) also have several examples, though I don't have time at the moment to post them.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby writermonk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Troop Carriers.

Note in the 4th edition description of Seven Kingdom Windships-of-War, it mentions Blue Aeriad troops being dropped from hatches on the bottom of the craft?

Yes, winged bird-men who use levitating/feather-fall spells to glide from the bottom of a giant ship above you while slinging special blades or shooting from special triple-shot crossbows... before they land and start to fight you.

Supplemented with troops who are actually magicians or swordsmages.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Azaghal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:48 am

writermonk wrote:Re: Troop Carriers.

Note in the 4th edition description of Seven Kingdom Windships-of-War, it mentions Blue Aeriad troops being dropped from hatches on the bottom of the craft?

Yes, winged bird-men who use levitating/feather-fall spells to glide from the bottom of a giant ship above you while slinging special blades or shooting from special triple-shot crossbows... before they land and start to fight you.

Supplemented with troops who are actually magicians or swordsmages.

Exactly the kind of fluff we need. Though these sound more like marines than "troop carriers" to me. This would be perfect as a method of close assult in Spelljammer situations as well.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby writermonk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:17 am

In terms of navigating the Aetheric Seas, some other things to consider:

Windships -
Aside from the Seven Kingdoms and Cymril which field a large number of ships from pleasure to civilian to military, crewed by a variety of peoples and races, you also have
the Phantasians - the classic and traditional holders of windship technology. Largely field pleasure and merchant craft of a smaller nature, despite having the knowledge to build bigger, their own economy and society isn't completely geared for it.
the Farad - merchants from a vaguely Persian/Middle Eastern culture devoted to the Golden God Avar (god of merchants, like Avarice). Recent acquirers of the technology (perhaps stolen), so not very adept sailors yet. Could have slave-crews.
other possibilities:
the Rajan - necromancer culture. Expansionist. Seek converts to their god, Death. Convert willingly or die. Either way, Death wins.
the Kang/Quan Empire - in 4th edition, particularly the Kang Civil War storyline, the Kang get windship technology around the time they solidify their control of the Eastern Empire. Militaristic warrior culture.
the Baratans - pirates from ancient myth who allegedly stole windship technology, stole a fleet of windships, and sailed off beyond the horizon in them. Occasionally they plague the south.

But! since the Aetheric Sea washes into the waters around Talislanta, you don't have to sail around in just a ship.

The great bronze triremes of the Parthenians cross the boundaries of the worlds. Also from ancient Simbar and perhaps once servants of the long lost Neurians, the Parthenians are bronze-skinned constructs who sail ancient and forgotten trade routes while searching for... something.
The Black Adamant hulled craft of the Black Savants of Nefaratus ply the seas and sail to the Midnight Realm on occasion. Crewed by chained demon or devil slaves who row the boat through the seas tirelessly. The Nefaratans themselves are very very powerful necromancers, themselves perhaps undead or at least resurrected flesh. They do not (cannot?) speak, but often use devils as intermediaries.
The living ships of the Brood, known as Broodwyrms, are capable of traveling the Aetheric Seas and thus capable of bringing the mysterious and synaethestic Brood slavers who use living creatures as tools and weapons to just about any locale.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Mulsiphix » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

writermonk wrote:Entire Post
:o Having somebody who has played within and written content for Talislanta versus just looking up information in the books (me) really is the more desirable route to go. I am humbled by your knowledge writermonk :shock:
Mulsiphix
Troll

Next

Return to Talislanta