Aquaria and Greyhawk

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Aquaria and Greyhawk

Postby Havard » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 am

Aquaria was originally set on Oerth. What are the implications of using the two settings together? We know that Oerth's history has affected the continent of Aquaria. Could events on Aquaria have an impact on the rest of Oerth?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Aquaria and Greyhawk

Postby night_druid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 am

Havard wrote:Aquaria was originally set on Oerth. What are the implications of using the two settings together? We know that Oerth's history has affected the continent of Aquaria. Could events on Aquaria have an impact on the rest of Oerth?

I think Aquaria was pretty one-way; the connection between the two came when a large flotilla from the Great Kingdom washed ashore Aquaria, and they were forced to settle the land because their ships were thrashed. I don't think there ever was any communication or travel from Aquaria back to the Flanaess.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:00 am

The Aqua-Aerdi sent two expeditions back and forth before settling permanently in the land. There's no indication in Doc's Island that their ships were wrecked, but they left permanently because they disliked the imperialist policies of their homeland. They could've sent ships back, but didn't, because they remembered the Great Kingdom as a bad place. And because it took three months to cross the ocean.

I think if Aquaria influences the Flanaess, it'll likely be in the future, when one land or both enters an Age of Discovery equivalent to Europe during the sixteenth century, with superior ships crossing the ocean in search of alternate trade routes, new resources, and new territory.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:The Aqua-Aerdi sent two expeditions back and forth before settling permanently in the land. There's no indication in Doc's Island that their ships were wrecked, but they left permanently because they disliked the imperialist policies of their homeland. They could've sent ships back, but didn't, because they remembered the Great Kingdom as a bad place. And because it took three months to cross the ocean.

I would love to see a map showing Aquaria, Oerik and the Flanaess. Does the module have anything like that?

ripvanwormer wrote:I think if Aquaria influences the Flanaess, it'll likely be in the future, when one land or both enters an Age of Discovery equivalent to Europe during the sixteenth century, with superior ships crossing the ocean in search of alternate trade routes, new resources, and new territory.

What a shame that things did not work out in a different way to the way they did. If New Infinities had been offered the sort of Greyhawk licence that WotC sold to Soverign Press/Margaret Weis Productions, we could have had a ton of development put into this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sat May 19, 2012 7:11 pm

On Greyhawk Grognard's Blog there is a map showing a suggested location for Aquaria on Oerth:
http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... -four.html

I actually thought Aquaria was on the southern hemisphere, but GG's suggestion looks good too.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I'd place it further to the north, personally, given how northern its equivalent location in the Wilderlands (Valon) is.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:07 am

Havard wrote:Aquaria was originally set on Oerth. What are the implications of using the two settings together? We know that Oerth's history has affected the continent of Aquaria. Could events on Aquaria have an impact on the rest of Oerth?

Interesting. I'm trying to learn more about Greyhawk. "Aquaria was originally set on Oerth." Does that mean that it is no longer on Greyhawk? What happened to cause it to separate from Greyhawk?
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby ExTSR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 am

Whee, thread resurrection!

If Greyhawk is on Oerth, then mine is too. :)

The continent of Aquaria is east of the Solnor, distant (big as the Pacific, Gary once noted).

There were times when he used or toyed with assorted variations... Aerth, Oerth, Oyth, Uerth & Urth, and more.

The original '70s campaign map was from Valon sector (JG). Similarities (including names!) can be found in R3-R4 and Convert.

Over the decades I cleansed it of other folks' work and potential copyright stuff.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:28 am

ExTSR wrote:Whee, thread resurrection!

We do that stuff around here. It's better than starting a second topic to discuss an old topic. :)

ExTSR wrote:If Greyhawk is on Oerth, then mine is too. :)

I am firmly in the "if it was published it was published" camp, when it comes to the topic of "does this exist?" Publishers can bring out later products that conflict with earlier ones, but they can't go around to everyone's house and demand they hand back products they no longer support (for whatever reason).

Ultimately, fans get to decide if they want to use Aquaria or not use it, right? So if Aquaria fans want to put keep it on Oerth, it's good to have topics where people can work out the best way to do that.

ExTSR wrote:The continent of Aquaria is east of the Solnor, distant (big as the Pacific, Gary once noted).

I like Chainmail (the Sundered Empire) too and was wondering how to get the two to work together a while back. Some folks seemed to think that Western Oerik was the same location as Aquaria. But you are calling it a continent. That sounds like the two might be able to co-exist.

ExTSR wrote:There were times when he used or toyed with assorted variations... Aerth, Oerth, Oyth, Uerth & Urth, and more.

I've heard of that. Did Gary toy with moving Aquaria to one of these alternate-Oerths? Didn't you have a city that vanished? (Sorry, I'm still waiting for an "Aquaria Campaign Setting" Kickstarter or something that I can refer to.) Would that have been shunted to an Alternative-Oerth, if Gary and you had stayed at TSR?

ExTSR wrote:The original '70s campaign map was from Valon sector (JG). Similarities (including names!) can be found in R3-R4 and Convert.

I don't think I know that old stuff. I did hear about game society maps evolving into Greyhawk. Maybe I need to start a Valon sector topic to discuss how much Aquaria is on it. :?

I did buy Convert. I'm waiting to find out if R1, R2, R3 and R4 are going to get put out as Print on Demand products by DMs Guild. I'll probably snag To the Aid of Falx at a minimum. (I don't think there is a connection with the Spelljammer planet of the same name any more, but I would like to include some references to your adventure if I expand the SJ planet that has the same name.)

ExTSR wrote:Over the decades I cleansed it of other folks' work and potential copyright stuff.

Hmm. I wonder if the word "Oerth" is trademarked or copyrighted.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Seeing as how this thread has gone temporarily silent, I am giving a right bump since I too would like some answers to what Big Mac posited.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've heard of that. Did Gary toy with moving Aquaria to one of these alternate-Oerths? Didn't you have a city that vanished? (Sorry, I'm still waiting for an "Aquaria Campaign Setting" Kickstarter or something that I can refer to.) Would that have been shunted to an Alternative-Oerth, if Gary and you had stayed at TSR?

Frank Mentzer wrote some about the vanishing of Empyrea in this thread. I believe the question of where exactly it went is an ongoing mystery.

Hmm. I wonder if the word "Oerth" is trademarked or copyrighted.

I believe the only registered trademark belongs to Oerth Associates, a human resources consulting firm.

The word Oerth appeared in print before the Copyright Act of 1976 was passed, so the question of its copyright status might be complicated.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Aquaria