The Piazza

Old D&D Campaign Worlds
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 am 
Giant Space Hamster

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
No date, but Havard might be able to help*: A tradesman called The Happy Gauntlet launches from the City of Blackmoor, its captain completing many voyages before stumbling into an illithid ambush. The entire crew, except for the captain's wife, Sharanger Szeltune, are destroyed by the mind flayer's mental powers. She is mortally wounded but is able to unleash powerful spells that allow her to take the helm and retreat. She then retreats to a safe world, lands her ship in a hidden location and transforms herself into an archlich. <"I must Go Up to the Stars Again" p 7-8 SJR1 Lost Ships>

It says the "civilization of Blackmoor," not the City of Blackmoor. The distinction is important. The City of Blackmoor was sacked by the Egg of Coot in the 540s CY, only about thirty or forty years ago from the perspective of SJR1.

Thanks. I've edited my post, to try to avoid further confusion.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Now, the module makes it clear that they're talking about something much more ancient: "Her knowledge of space and the worlds to be found in it are so dated as to be almost useless (though she knows where places of power are to be found in Greyhawk, which are now lost and overgrown ruins)."

I figured that was a way to allow a GM to drop a lot of facts from Greyhawk's past into Sharanger's backstory and use them as plot hooks. I also figures that she might know something about the deserted cities on Kule, Charnelhouse (in the Grinder), Gnibile (before its inhabitants were killed), the earlier history of Ginsel, Borka (when it was an intact world) and other things that might improve the history of the sphere.

ripvanwormer wrote:
I don't think the modern Archbarony of Blackmoor ever had much of a "civilization." It's a backwater, cut off from other lands by the Relentless Horde in 320 CY.

I don't see any reason why a civilisation could not rise and fall several times over the centuries. Perhaps there is some sort of period in the past, that might be a logical peak for Blackmoor. All it really needs is a sea port or two.

ripvanwormer wrote:
It's possible that Sharanger hails from the Archbarony of Blackmoor prior to 320 CY, when it was easier to travel to the lands of the south and the Archbarony was somewhat less of a backwater. That'd place her at 250+ years old; I think the (vague) notes in the adventure imply a significantly greater gulf of time, though.

It doesn't really tie things down for Paul, does it. Like a lot of SJ stuff, it is half facts. :(

ripvanwormer wrote:
See, then, my post on Oerth's Blackmoor, where I collected direct quotes from a variety of sources on the ancient civilization in what is now the Archbarony of Blackmoor. This earlier Blackmoor, a technological civilization, existed during the latter years of the Suel and Baklunish empires, declaring independence during those kingdoms' final wars and finally being destroyed by a plague of "Gear Madness." This civilization had contact with the Fraternity of Order, who were founded about 982 years ago.

Note that there wasn't a "City of Blackmoor" in those days. The "City of the Gods" seemed to have been the capital of that land, though it probably wasn't named that, then.

Anyway, the City of the Gods civilization was probably at its height around 1000 years ago, during the Baklunish-Suloise Wars, just before the gear madness hit.

I didn't notice this quote in your other thread. Do you need more info before you add it?

I wonder if there would be any more arch-liches in the ruins of the City of the Gods.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
(I wonder how this compares with the Netherese spacefaring dates, and if it will show which of the two spheres was the first to convert from a groundling sphere to a spacefaring sphere.)

The Netherese spelljammed during the Age of Discovery, between -1205 and -1064 DR, or roughly 2400 to 2500 years ago. The City of the Gods civilization in Blackmoor was more like 1000 years ago.

We know that the elves fought to keep the Netherese out of wildspace. Perhaps the Blackmoorian spacefarers were more acceptable. Have you got start and end years for the City of the Gods?

ripvanwormer wrote:
That doesn't mean there weren't spelljammers from Oerth before then, of course. The Suel civilization is about 6000 years old, and the Doomgrinder civilization is about 8000 years old (and I definitely think they ought to have had spelljammers). But in general, civilization on Toril seems to be older, and the earliest mention of spelljamming on Toril long predates the earliest canonical spelljammers from Oerth.

There are regions outside of the Flanaess that might have had spacefarers too. Perhaps the Kara-Tur civilisation could be lined up with a Greyhawk oriental civilisation, so that the early Oriental Adventures stories can be made to apply to both worlds.

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 am 
Giant Space Hamster

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:
Wow, I was sure this was an April's Fool joke. It's too bad it specifically mentions Greyhawk. I think it could have been interesting if this ship had been from Mystara's Blackmoor, 4000 years ago.

I can't help but suspect that was the intent. An "ancient Blackmoor civilization" didn't really exist in Oerth at the time - all of the sources I quoted in that other thread are newer than SJR1. Back then, Greyhawk's Blackmoor was just a backwater barony, far to the north, with a mysterious "city of the gods" that might just be a crashed spaceship, or something else entirely. Any idea that it had a time of glory in the distant past would have come from confusing it with Mystara's much better developed Blackmoor setting.

Does this mean that the Mystaran Blackmoor and the Greyhawk Blackmoor both existed at different times? Could the Greyhawk version be a reconstruction of a lost city on the homeworld of a colony? Could the Egg of the Coot track down the colonists and launch an attack on the new city?

ripvanwormer wrote:
But at the time, it was against the rules to combine D&D and AD&D that way. The Known World and the DA series definitely didn't exist in the Spelljammer universe. So Ed Greenwood couldn't mention Dave Arneson's Blackmoor; Greyhawk's Blackmoor was the next best thing, even if there was no canonical information about its past.

If Lost Ships had been published years later, when Mystara had been integrated into 2nd edition AD&D, it probably would've been Mystara's Blackmoor that was mentioned.

I agree with you. But Mystara's loss is Greyhawk's gain. Now we have a few bits of information to try to spin something out of.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Awesome stuff! And perhaps a possible timelink for Mystara to Greyhawk (and thus all of the big three), which I've needed!

We have two issues on which Blackmoor was intended, you lay it out well. :) Since we know both were originally the same setting created by Dave Arneson, some sort of link makes sense. Perhaps the Greyhawk Blackmoor crashed ship was from the Mystaran Blackmoor?

The Happy Gauntlet is not from Mystara. Do you mean the ship from Expedition to Barrier Peaks? I can imagine that being a colony ship.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
edit: Mystara and Greyhawk have long been connected in my mind. :) My earliest PCs migrated from the 'Known World' of X1 Isle of Dread to Greyhawk. Lots of us placed the Caves of Chaos in the old days, of course, and put the Isle of Dread in the Azure Sea, as Dungeon magazine did decades later. :)

If things were different, I think we would have had something like that Mystoerth thing.

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Paul. I'm currently reading Finder's Bane and it has strong ties to both Spelljammer and Planescape.

One of the characters is a spacefaring captain (who can fly). She is actually a really interesting character.

Another knows about the SJ universe, and how the god Bane would not be an important god outside Realmspace. (I notice that you mention that Bane is active on the Rock of Bral in your timeline.)

One of the groundling characters is trying to "bring back a dead god" and rituals that take a year to do this are mentioned (plus a way to bypass this). I think these rituals are the same rituals for bringing a new god into a sphere, mentioned in CGR1 Complete Spacefarer's Handbook.

There is also a spelljamming ship flying around the Dalelands. One character claims her god summoned the ship from wildspace. If this is true, then that makes the gods and SJ have a pretty strong connection.

I've not finished the book yet, so I don't want to discuss the plot, but there are several events here that should be mentioned in the timeline.

Anyone who likes Spelljammer novels should buy this book...but let Paul buy his copy first! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk: Neogi Nest is an attempt to found a neogi colony close to the City of Greyhawk on Oerth.

I recall seeing someone tell you to buy WGR2 on Dragonsfoot. That is what made me buy it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm 
Storm Giant

Big Mac wrote:
I don't see any reason why a civilisation could not rise and fall several times over the centuries. Perhaps there is some sort of period in the past, that might be a logical peak for Blackmoor. All it really needs is a sea port or two.
\

Sure, but in this case the City of the Gods culture was swallowed up by glaciers.

Quote:
We know that the elves fought to keep the Netherese out of wildspace. Perhaps the Blackmoorian spacefarers were more acceptable. Have you got start and end years for the City of the Gods?

Nothing so precise. I have no idea when it began, though I wouldn't think it would have lasted for more than a few centuries.

In this thread (which began with the same research as my Piazza thread), Smillan places the fall of the City of the Gods culture at about -410 CY.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 am 
Troll

Big Mac wrote:
Anyone who likes Spelljammer novels should buy this book...but let Paul buy his copy first! ;)

I have Finder's Bane already, I've read it a couple times. :) It's pretty good, IMO. I keep meaning to read the sequels but for some reason I was never able to find them. I plan to fix that.

I tried to use it for timeline hooks, but at the time, I could find nothing concerning a Planescape timeline, so though we know when the books occurs in the Realms, I didn't know when it occurs in Planescape.

Now that I know about thsi Factol clanader, I might be able to figure that out. The danger, of course, is that it likely won't match up with the other date hooks I've got. :? I mean, this synchornization stuff matters to me but not to any one at TSR or WotC or Hasbro. :P Still, need to figire it out an acocunt for it. :)

I found this in the X1 thread in the Greyhawk forum, and it is a strong possible timehook to use for Mystara. Though I'm seriously thinking of not linking Mystara and just including its space-oriented events in a timeline in an appendix with suggestions for possible linking points.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
From my point of view, X1 would seem to be a historical version of the Savage Tide Adventure Path. But I'm not sure how much older it is supposed to be or if all of the element of X1 are supposed to have been totally retconned into the Greyhawk Campaign Setting.

Both X1 and Dungeon #114 refer to the diary of Rory Barbarosa, an explorer who landed on the Isle of Dread in the past, and both say he explored the Isle of Dread about 30 years ago. Therefore, the adventure "Torrents of Dread" in Dungeon #114 and X1 must take place approximately simultaneously (594 CY in Greyhawk terms, or 1000 AC in Mystara terms*).

The Savage Tide Adventure Path takes place about three years later, in 597 CY.

*That's not to say that 594 CY = 1000 AC for world-hopping player characters, only that those are the dates representing the "present day" in X1, depending on what world you place the adventure on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 am 
Storm Giant

Planescape slots very neatly into the other worlds' timelines thanks to Die Vecna Die!, which fixes 591 CY with what would be the year 131 in Factol Hashkar's reign, if Factol Hashkar hadn't died in 130, during the Faction War. As it stands, 591 CY equals what Planewalker.com's 3e stuff calls year 1 of the Lady's Edict calendar.

I'm going to copy-paste what I wrote on the FR Wiki:

Quote:
The year 1371 DR appears to be equivalent to 591 in the Common Year timeline used in parts of Oerth, assuming the Forgotten Realms adventure For Duty & Deity and the Planescape adventure Tales From the Infinite Staircase (which were marketed as crossover adventures) both took place in late 1370 DR, and assuming that the adventure Die Vecna Die! (which included scenes in the Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and Planescape settings) took place a few months after Tales From the Infinite Staircase and Faction War, which seems evident from the political situation in Sigil.

And, as it happens, this is exactly the same correspondence between FR and Greyhawk that you came up with in your own timeline.

As for Mystara, please ignore what I wrote about the Isle of Dread, since it has nothing to do with actual timeline correspondences. We can fit Mystara's relative timeline pretty closely, as discussed in this thread.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Where there are no official crossover dates (and I don't think there were with regard to Mystara and the other D&D worlds - there are crossovers, but not ones that have been given dates), I go by publication date. Joshuan's Almanac (part of a series that updated one game year for every real year) was published in 1995, and corresponded to 1013 AC. The Factol's Manifesto for Planescape was also published in 1995 (and Planescape books also maintained one game year/real year while that line lasted), and corresponded to 127 in Hashkar's reign, which was 587 CY on Oerth and 1367 DR on Toril. So I think 1013 = 127 = 587 = 1367, though I can't call it official since it isn't explicit.

The Planewalker's Handbook, page 33, describes the Alphatian empire as "fallen." The Alphatian empire fell in 1010 AC, Mystaran time, and The Planewalker's Handbook takes place in the year 128 in Factol Hashkar's reign, given the publication date (The Factol's Manifesto was explicitly in 127, and Planescape sourcebooks advanced one year for every real year thereafter until the line ended in 1998; Die Vecna Die! doesn't follow this pattern, evidently taking place only the following year). This means that 128 Hashkar must be after 1010 AC in Mystara. As I said, I'd assume that 1014 AC = 128 Hashkar, but that falls just short of what I can prove (I can't prove that the Mystaran timeline kept advancing after the Poor Wizard Almanacs were cancelled). Still, it's correct within a few years. The Italian Mystara mailing list used 1010 AC = 127 Hashkar, which I think is at least a year off, since they failed to update the "current year" in The Planewalker's Handbook, and failed to at least account for Joshuan's Almanac being the most "current" Mystara product when The Planewalker's Handbook was published.

So I can say with a fair degree of certainty that either 1013 AC = 128 Hashkar (if Mystara's time stopped when the Almanacs stopped being published) or 1014 = 128 Hashkar (if the advancement of the Planescape calendar coincided with the advancement of the calendar on other worlds, as I think is likely).

It should be noted that correspondence between the publishing date and in-world date in Planescape products isn't stated explicitly anywhere, as far as I know, but if you read the Planescape adventures I think it's clear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 am 
Troll

ripvanwormer wrote:
And, as it happens, this is exactly the same correspondence between FR and Greyhawk that you came up with in your own timeline.

I'm frankly shocked! Though the FR = GH correspondance is the most firm, I think, in my old timeline.

ripvanwormer wrote:
The Planewalker's Handbook, page 33, describes the Alphatian empire as "fallen." The Alphatian empire fell in 1010 AC, Mystaran time, and The Planewalker's Handbook takes place in the year 128 in Factol Hashkar's reign, given the publication date (The Factol's Manifesto was explicitly in 127, and Planescape sourcebooks advanced one year for every real year thereafter until the line ended in 1998; Die Vecna Die! doesn't follow this pattern, evidently taking place only the following year). This means that 128 Hashkar must be after 1010 AC in Mystara. As I said, I'd assume that 1014 AC = 128 Hashkar, but that falls just short of what I can prove (I can't prove that the Mystaran timeline kept advancing after the Poor Wizard Almanacs were cancelled). Still, it's correct within a few years. The Italian Mystara mailing list used 1010 AC = 127 Hashkar, which I think is at least a year off, since they failed to update the "current year" in The Planewalker's Handbook, and failed to at least account for Joshuan's Almanac being the most "current" Mystara product when The Planewalker's Handbook was published.

So I can say with a fair degree of certainty that either 1013 AC = 128 Hashkar (if Mystara's time stopped when the Almanacs stopped being published) or 1014 = 128 Hashkar (if the advancement of the Planescape calendar coincided with the advancement of the calendar on other worlds, as I think is likely).

That's pretty convincing, and I would go with the 1014 = 128 formulation, I think.

Man, you have saved me a great deal of time and effort. And I must say, damn good research!

ripvanwormer wrote:
It should be noted that correspondence between the publishing date and in-world date in Planescape products isn't stated explicitly anywhere, as far as I know, but if you read the Planescape adventures I think it's clear.

I used a similar concept long, long ago on my Kara-tur timeline. It got accept so thoroughly that WotC used it themselves, and i never really got credited for it. (I've always slightly resented the GHotRs as a result...).

ANyone recall what year the whole 5th Age stuff kicked off? I think I'll need to include the year Krynn disappears - or not, dependiong on how the GM wants to handle it. :)

That's the thing with my timeline, I want to bring it more inline with my sphere guide as a resource for GMs where I make as few decisions as possible. I just provide GMs with a timeline with link points and notes on the issues so they can build their own campaign timelines.

One reason I'm revising it is that I need a reasonably detailed history of Bralsapce for the Sun King storyline my players are currently engaged in. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:46 am 
Giant Space Hamster

GMWestermeyer wrote:
ANyone recall what year the whole 5th Age stuff kicked off? I think I'll need to include the year Krynn disappears - or not, dependiong on how the GM wants to handle it. :)

I was writing about the time line in the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting hardback a few years back and a few fans warned me that there are continuity problems with it.

There used to be a fan timeline on the net (Wikipedia perhaps) but someone got it taken down. :(

Dragonhelm should be able to help.

IIRC, the world vanishes first and then the moons vanish afterwards...

...although some fans may wish to just make the world come back.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
That's the thing with my timeline, I want to bring it more inline with my sphere guide as a resource for GMs where I make as few decisions as possible. I just provide GMs with a timeline with link points and notes on the issues so they can build their own campaign timelines.

One reason I'm revising it is that I need a reasonably detailed history of Bralsapce for the Sun King storyline my players are currently engaged in. :)

Do you think you will have a second Jammers timeline that takes this one and adds in other events?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm 
Storm Giant

Big Mac wrote:
I was writing about the time line in the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting hardback a few years back and a few fans warned me that there are continuity problems with it.

I have no idea what the continuity problems might be (aren't there always continuity problems?) but the 3e hardback has:

383 AC (0 SC) - The Summer of Chaos. The Second Cataclysm. Krynn is pulled through the Gate of Souls into another crystal sphere.
419 AC (38 SC) - Takhisis is unveiled, the Krynnish gods rediscover and return to their missing world.
420 AC (39 SC) - The present day in the 3e Dragonlance campaign setting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:37 am 
Troll

Big Mac wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:

Do you think you will have a second Jammers timeline that takes this one and adds in other events?

Not sure I understand. I'm revising my 'official' SJ timeline, which will just have official events, with citations. I'm also doing a timeline for Bralspace, the primary setting for Jammers, which will have lots of 'non-official' events in it, since it is for my campaign. That will definitely be in the Bralspace sourcebook i've been slowly working on - the sourcebook is currently around 300 mircrosoft word pages, but will likely decrease in page count as I edited it down.

All of it would go faster but my real life work is also writing (currently, a history of Marines in the 1990-91 Gulf War) and that plus kids and family & my games can really eat up creativity.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I have no idea what the continuity problems might be (aren't there always continuity problems?) but the 3e hardback has:

383 AC (0 SC) - The Summer of Chaos. The Second Cataclysm. Krynn is pulled through the Gate of Souls into another crystal sphere.
419 AC (38 SC) - Takhisis is unveiled, the Krynnish gods rediscover and return to their missing world.

Cool. :) I only care about the 383 AC date. I think that event sees Krynn drawn into another dimension, rather than just another Prime or Crystal Sphere.

I've always liked that Krynn was so far into the future of most SJ campaigns, it essentially lets us ignorethe question of what to do when it disappears, since few gamers will ever get that far through normal campaign play. Or maybe i'm just slow. Jammers has been ongoing since 1996 yet we've only completed about one year of game time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:45 am 
Frost Giant

GMWestermeyer wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:

Cool. :) I only care about the 383 AC date. I think that event sees Krynn drawn into another dimension, rather than just another Prime or Crystal Sphere.

I've always liked that Krynn was so far into the future of most SJ campaigns, it essentially lets us ignorethe question of what to do when it disappears, since few gamers will ever get that far through normal campaign play. Or maybe i'm just slow. Jammers has been ongoing since 1996 yet we've only completed about one year of game time.

just thought i'd point out, the krynnish gods returning to krynn is likely directly associated (if not the same date) with the disappearance of solinari, lunitari, and nuitari, so you likely care about that too :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:57 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:

Not sure I understand. I'm revising my 'official' SJ timeline, which will just have official events, with citations. I'm also doing a timeline for Bralspace, the primary setting for Jammers, which will have lots of 'non-official' events in it, since it is for my campaign. That will definitely be in the Bralspace sourcebook i've been slowly working on - the sourcebook is currently around 300 mircrosoft word pages, but will likely decrease in page count as I edited it down.

I should have been more specific. What you are doing with Bralspace sounds like exactly what I mean.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
All of it would go faster but my real life work is also writing (currently, a history of Marines in the 1990-91 Gulf War) and that plus kids and family & my games can really eat up creativity.

I have less excuses than you, but have been a lot slower. Part of my own problem is that I'm still in the research phase with a lot of bits of D&D. ;(

GMWestermeyer wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

The problem might have been something to do with the time of the Second Cataclysm. There might have been some sort of accidental shift in the years after that date. I'm not sure. I do know that a lot of people have switched back to using the AC dates for things after the Second Cataclysm.

Dragonhelm's Guide to Krynnspace takes Krynnspace forward to after the Second Cataclysm and the "return of the gods". He has the Moons of Magic (and the Dragonlance gods) vanish from Krynnspace 40 years after the Second Cataclysm.

GMWestermeyer wrote:

I'm not a fan of "big world changing events" myself. I think they are far to disruptive and when they invalidate entire sub-settings or break crossover links with Spelljammer, Planescape or Ravenloft they get in the way of my personal preferences (rather than enhance my gaming enjoyment). So I often find them to be counter-productive.

I've not fixed a date I want to use yet, but as a third edition fan that wants to use Krynnspace, Realmspace and Greyspace my absolute maximum is the earliest year of 3e Dragonlance, 3e Forgotten Realms and the 3e elements of Greyhawk in Living Greyhawk Gazeteer and the supporting Living Greyhawk documentation.

As for my minimum, I've got a choice between either going with exactly the same date as the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set (which seems to be what WotC have done with the 4e Dark Sun upgrade) or the date of the last published SJ product (whatever that might be).

I can see a case for starting with the original SJ timeline point, as that puts you in a pre-Second Unhuman War position and allows you to use all the modules (and suppliments) in the same order as your timeline research suggests. Doing that would follow the canon as closely as possible and make new monsters (like the scro) and new ships pop up in the correct order.

The case for moving beyond that would be to provide a new starting point, where all the canon of SJ (including secondary canon mentioned in other settings) can be made a bit more accessible to PCs. Most players know about the scro, for example but if you run a game set in the era of the first boxed set, you can't allow players to let their PCs have that knowledge.

I'm still thinking, but your timeline is going to make things a lot easier, as people will be able to look for the "most cool stuff" and make sure the PCs of their players get to live through it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Jaid wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:

just thought i'd point out, the krynnish gods returning to krynn is likely directly associated (if not the same date) with the disappearance of solinari, lunitari, and nuitari, so you likely care about that too :P

According to Dragonhelm's Guide to Krynnspace, Takhisis found out how to "Steal the World" because the "alien dragons" that came to Krynn from wherever it is that she took the world. This quote from Age of Mortals* may be of interest:

Age of Mortals page 207 wrote:
Scholars have been unable to discover the name of this, so called "alien world" that the strange new dragons came from. Indeed, at first it was believed that the dragons had actually come from an unknown continent across the ocean. All that is known is that the dragons native to that world are far larger than Krynn's native dragons, even the youngest amongst them larger and stronger than the most aged great wyrms of Krynn. The native dragons were easy prety for the alien dragons, who revealed that it was possible to catch the soul of a departing dragon and use it to become more powerful, destroying the soul in the process. The alien dragons also brought with themthe knowledge of how to craft skull totems, which enabled them to use those souls to grow ever stronger, enabling them to retain their great size, to shape the land at their whims, and to warp the bodies and minds of lesser races in order to creat slaves.

* = After I originally found out that the Second Cataclym meta-plot put Krynn out of reach of multi-sphere SJ campaigns, I was very very very cautious before buying any of the MWP Dragonlance books. Once I worked out what the deal with them was, I ended up buying most of them. The Age of Mortals book is one that I wrote off as "totally useless" to a SJ campaign. Oddly enought it got some fairly awful reviews and that must have caused the sales to be low as I picked one up cheap. I don't think it is that bad, although I see it as a "use with caution" sourcebook, because it contains a lot of "that has not happened yet" stuff.

Wherever these dragons come from, one of them arrived on Krynn long before the Second Cataclysm. Khellendros (also known as Skie) fought in the War of the Lance, and he also had a daughter (he mated with a Krynnish dragon called Nadir) called Zephyr who also fought in the War of the Lance. (I can not find dates of birth for either Skie or Zephyr, but he must have been here for however long it took Zephyr to grow to her size.)

EDIT: I just noticed that Dragonlance Lexicon puts Skie's arrival on Krynn as 240 AC, after a meeting with Takhisis in the ether. That is well before The War of the Lance.

Perhaps a GM might want to put an alien dragon or two onto one or more of the other worlds of Krynnspace.

BTW: It is possible for non-alien dragons to discover how to use "skull totems" and gain power. A sea dragon called Brine became one of the five Dragon Overlords. That is another thing a GM might want to use somewhere else in Krynnspace.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm 
Troll

Jaid wrote:

Very good point! Thanks, I do think you are right. I hadn't thought that through, since I generally don't game in Dragonlance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:18 pm 
Storm Giant

GMWestermeyer wrote:

Making it another crystal sphere seems more useful in a Spelljammer campaign, since then it can be rediscovered and visited, new trade routes opening to a previously unexplored region so that ships can travel between Krynnspace and New Krynnspace.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 am 
Troll

ripvanwormer wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:

Making it another crystal sphere seems more useful in a Spelljammer campaign, since then it can be rediscovered and visited, new trade routes opening to a previously unexplored region so that ships can travel between Krynnspace and New Krynnspace.

Maybe, but that goes beyond the purpose of my timeline. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 am 
Storm Giant

The only official statements I can find about where Krynn went aren't entirely clear. The 3e campaign setting (p. 118) mentions an Ethereal Sea, also known (according to that source) as the Deep Ethereal, and says countless other worlds lie beyond it. There's only one Ethereal Sea, touching both Krynn's original home and its new one. Takhisis moved the world to a different part of the Ethereal Sea; I think that means (translating it in to Spelljammer terms) it's still the same Prime Material Plane, just another sphere. In the standard AD&D 2nd edition cosmology, the Deep Ethereal can be used to travel between crystal spheres, with difficulty, but not between "dimensions" (discounting ether gaps, although A Guide to the Ethereal Plane does say (p. 16) there have been ether gaps sighted near where Krynn was). Traveling to another sphere would effectively cut off the Krynnish from their previous gods and afterlife, which is what happened, until new connections were formed.

This is open to interpretation, though (since 3e wasn't written with Spelljammer in mind), and probably the best solution for your timeline is to leave it vague.

I have to admit, if Krynn did pass through an ether gap, it might indeed be in a separate multiverse. Ether gaps are supposed to be the "all that remain of timelines that were negated and abolished by temporal paradoxes caused by ignorant berks mucking about on the Demiplane of Time," though, which suggests that any ether gaps in the vicinity of Krynnspace are the fault of Tasselhoff's and Raistlin's time-traveling adventures, rather than Takhisis and the Gate of Souls. And 3e does say it's in the same Ethereal Sea (if Krynn passed through an ether gap, I think they'd be in a different one), and ether gaps aren't a practical way for giant dragons to travel travel from one world to another (because they're one-way, and the alien dragons have to find a route that gets them to both pre-theft Krynn and post-theft Krynn).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:55 am 
Troll

ripvanwormer wrote:
This is open to interpretation, though (since 3e wasn't written with Spelljammer in mind), and probably the best solution for your timeline is to leave it vague.

Exactly, 3e threw out the old cosmology. I'm happy there are 3e and later players who find my stuff useful, but my timeline isn't a 3e project. When Krynn disappears, it disappears. :) What happens after (aside from the moons, which presumably remained in the sphere until they later disappeared) I'm not concerned with. I'm basically stopping at the 'end' of 2e.

That said, I will be including some 3e events. In a lot of settings the 2e/3e break isn't as sudden and definitive as in Dragonlance. Greyhawk, for example, doesn't have a single large '3e is here now' event, as far as i can tell. And the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is nearly system less, focused on cool world building details. FF's big break seems to happen more with the Spellplague and 4e <puke>So I will likely get that far for FR.

To be honest though, I more interested in the past events i missed than the future ones. :):)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm 
Storm Giant

Here is a very good Planescape (with a little 3rd edition canon thrown in) timeline. It's not necessarily entirely how I've done things (the equivalencies between campaign worlds are different, Kiaransalee is a bit too late, he had the Athar replace the Zactars instead of the Sign of One), but it's good, and close enough that I'm not quite as anxious about getting my own timelines (which Idran was influenced by, anyway) in order.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 pm 
Troll

ripvanwormer wrote:
Here is a very good Planescape (with a little 3rd edition canon thrown in) timeline. It's not necessarily entirely how I've done things (the equivalencies between campaign worlds are different, Kiaransalee is a bit too late, he had the Athar replace the Zactars instead of the Sign of One), but it's good, and close enough that I'm not quite as anxious about getting my own timelines (which Idran was influenced by, anyway) in order.

I wish people would learn the importance of citations. :evil: His timeline would be much, much more useful if the source of each entry were noted. As it is, I'm not certain how useful it is to me. ;( Thanks for pointing it out, though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:47 am 
Storm Giant

GMWestermeyer wrote:
I wish people would learn the importance of citations. :evil: His timeline would be much, much more useful if the source of each entry were noted. As it is, I'm not certain how useful it is to me. ;( Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Well, the stuff I have up so far has citations. I should go through Idran's timeline and add footnotes and citations and things to it, since I know where everything on it comes from. And make changes, as necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 am 
Troll

ripvanwormer wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:

Well, the stuff I have up so far has citations. I should go through Idran's timeline and add footnotes and citations and things to it, since I know where everything on it comes from. And make changes, as necessary.

That would be awesome. :)

I'm going to run my stuff by you if you don't mind, you've got some timeline chops! :)

I love you timeline, but I will likely include more 'prehistoric' events, I think you folks compress the timeline more than the sources I've seen indicate. :) The elves who arrive on Toril from Faerie in Evermeet, BTW, are not the first elves to arrive on Toril. :)

edit: by prehistoric I mean you assign a date to 'mythological' events I think are best left legendary and dateless. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

GMWestermeyer wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:

Maybe, but that goes beyond the purpose of my timeline. :)

There were some of us calling the new sphere "Takhisispace". It is possibly the sphere that the alien dragons hail from, as that would mean that all the new alien dragons simply migrate across the Wildspace of the new sphere.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:

Exactly, 3e threw out the old cosmology.

Actually 3eDL threw out the Great Wheel cosmology and reverted to the original DL cosmology from Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Adventures. It is inconvenient but far more in keeping with canon than the 3eFR changes in cosmology.

If you look at the 3e books in that context, I think you will find that they fit in a lot better with the early Dragonlance material.

Even some of the spelling changes are actually to bring the RPG products in line with spellings that were used in the novels (during 2e they had a couple of spelling variations between novels and RPG products). :?

I actually think that the 3e books work pretty well for retro-players. I'm not happy with everything, but I've met some of the people who gave advise on this and there was a lot of fan input.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
I'm happy there are 3e and later players who find my stuff useful, but my timeline isn't a 3e project. When Krynn disappears, it disappears. :) What happens after (aside from the moons, which presumably remained in the sphere until they later disappeared) I'm not concerned with. I'm basically stopping at the 'end' of 2e.

Give that the novels show that even the Dragonlance gods could not find the world of Krynn for about 30 years, I would say that the timeline should show Krynn vanishing from Krynnspace. If the gnomes search for it (and we know they would) they are not going to have any success in the intermediate time. I can't see any more need for your timeline to mention Krynnspace (apart from the possible* disappearance of the moons).

* = I'm still not entirely convinced of how this would work. Moving one world back would seem to be easier than reinventing the sphere around it.

GMWestermeyer wrote:
That said, I will be including some 3e events. In a lot of settings the 2e/3e break isn't as sudden and definitive as in Dragonlance. Greyhawk, for example, doesn't have a single large '3e is here now' event, as far as i can tell. And the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is nearly system less, focused on cool world building details. FF's big break seems to happen more with the Spellplague and 4e <puke>So I will likely get that far for FR.

To be honest though, I more interested in the past events i missed than the future ones. :):)

I'm more interested in past events too. I think you can find some of those in 3e products.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 pm 
Storm Giant

Big Mac wrote:
Actually 3eDL threw out the Great Wheel cosmology and reverted to the original DL cosmology from Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Adventures.

This isn't exactly true. The 3e Dragonlance cosmology isn't any closer to Dragonlance Adventures than Planescape's On Hallowed Ground is. Which is to say, both differ substantially from the most literal reading of the book, but fit equally well with a generous reading. Dragonlance Adventures mentioned four divine realms, but never claimed they were planes in their own right, nor did it claim those were the only three divine realms there were. The 3rd edition campaign setting mentions only three outer planes, demoting one realm (Zhan) to lesser status, plus rather gratuitously adding a bunch of planes (the Astral Plane, the Plane of Shadow, the elemental planes) necessary to smoothly use 3rd edition mechanics, despite neither Dragonlance Adventures nor the original novels mentioning them. Which is equivalent to a 4e Dragonlance adding the Elemental Chaos, Shadowfell, Feywild, and Far Realm to its cosmology and claiming the resulting mix is "the original DL cosmology." On Hallowed Ground uses all four of the Dragonlance Adventures named realms, distributing them among the 17 standard outer planes, and adding additional realms for other gods. Which is a perfectly fair interpretation, and one Tales of the Lance used as well. Since that was the first published elaboration of Dragonlance Adventures' bare-bones list of names, I think it has the best claim as Dragonlance's "original" cosmology. In addition, the 1st edition Manual of the Planes (by Spelljammer guru Jeff Grubb) was published the same year as Dragonlance Adventures and explicitly placed Takhisis in the Nine Hells. Sure, the novels put her in "the Abyss," but I see nothing wrong with 2e's qualification that the Krynnish use the term "the Abyss" to describe a wide variety of planes. It's a bit of a retcon, but no more than the 3e cosmology was.

And the first published Dragonlance story was "A Stone's Throw Away" by Roger E. Moore, which pretty clearly put Krynn in the same multiverse as the 1st edition Monster Manual. Nothing in any of the novels that I've read mandates a specific cosmology, or requires that Takhsis's realm in "the Abyss" can't be part of what people in other worlds call the Hells.

There are many reason a Dragonlance fan may wish to distance Krynn from the rest of the D&D worlds and cosmology, and as far as I'm concerned they're welcome to do so, but there's no fair case to be made that the 3rd edition wasn't a revision. Dragonlance was assumed to be part of the greater D&D multiverse for most of its history, and both the novels and Dragonlance Adventures read cogently with that assumption. I know Weis and Hickman have their own preferences, and that's fine, but Dragonlance was a committee-designed, corporate-owned product from the get-go, so I don't find their opinions more persuasive than the 1st and 2nd edition sources that plainly state that (and can't be read intelligibly unless) Krynn is part of the same planar framework as Oerth and Toril. 3rd edition claimed otherwise 20 years too late to claim "original" status. I think the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting is a fine book, but I read its cosmology section as "this is how the sages of Krynn view the multiverse, but it isn't necessarily totally correct." The Planescape view isn't necessarily 100% correct either; the planes are infinite and unknowable, after all.

Quote:
It is inconvenient but far more in keeping with canon than the 3eFR changes in cosmology.

Only if your definition of "canon" excludes "A Stone's Throw Away," Manual of the Planes, Tales of the Lance, and the entire Planescape line, which is a narrower definition of canon than I'm comfortable with. If you include all published canon, not just an arbitrarily defined piece of it, it's every bit as extreme as the 3e Forgotten Realms changes.

I have no real problem with the 3e books, and I think mainly you're just saying, "Hey, give them a chance, they're not so bad." Which I agree with. But even granted (and I do grant) that the MWP authors were well in their rights to define what "canon" meant for those books, they can't really define what canon for Spelljammer is. That's outside their jurisdiction, and the needs of a cross-world campaign are different than the needs of a single-world campaign. I think that, even if no planar travel happens, it's still better to make cross-planar connections between spheres so that more themes can be carried over throughout the campaign.

Quote:
I actually think that the 3e books work pretty well for retro-players.

Sure, but this is Spelljammer! Which has its own breed of retro-player.

Quote:
* = I'm still not entirely convinced of how this would work. Moving one world back would seem to be easier than reinventing the sphere around it.

After Takhisis moved Krynn through the Gate of Souls, she was left exhausted and powerless for decades. It might well be easier to use the matter already in the sphere to create simulacrums of the original moons than to move all of that matter from one sphere to another.

Which might mean that the "old moons" people see in the sky after the War of Souls are really new moons that just look like the old moons, and the real old moons are still in Krynnspace.

The gods seem to be able to move the stars around without expending much effort. They wouldn't necessarily bother to touch the other planets in Takhisisspace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next