[Sarunia] Musings

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Sarunia] Musings

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is BECMI and its 36 level limitations. So I've been trying to quantify in my mind how I want to use the idea with Sarunia. I think what I am going to do is limit mortals to 36 levels. Levels 37-72 will put the character on the path to immortality and will either grants special 'Immortal traits' granted at specific levels or will be strictly limited by a handful of immortal classes that be selected and leveled in. Levels 73-108 will be the hard upper limit of character levels and no being can go beyond 108 HD; immortal characters that survive to 73rd level will begin the path to divine ascension.

The first step (1 level) of divine ascension consists of the characters venturing to the outer planes to gain latent divine power; upon completion the characters become hero-deities. The next 35 levels are fraught with power struggles, diplomacy and possibly establishing a deific footholds on worlds where the gods name is unheard of. 5 tests allow the character to gain enough ranks to advance one step in divine power. There are always only 3 gods of any one alignment per divine classification for a total of 12 gods sharing one single alignment, so rare is the character that becomes a greater deity. Reaching 108th level removes the character from play, but they are free to write up a deity entry (Deities & Demigods/Pathfinder style) that the DM must use (but is free to work with the player to customize the deity to what they know to be true of their campaigns, in the end the player should be left with a feeling of satisfaction) in future campaigns.

Any hard and fast rules that I use for these ideas will be made publicly available as 1, possibly 2, compendiums.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: [Sarunia] Musings

Post by Azaghal » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 am

I like how you've laid out the approaches to being a Diety here TAD and having the player write up their own diety page so to speak is brilliant.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Seems interesting.

I've not got Pathfinder (yet), and I'm not totally familiar with the Pathfinder version of the SRD. Does Pathfinder have a separate set of epic rules (like 3e) or have they been integrated?

IIRC, Pathfinder removed LA penalties (and made high ECL races impossible to play). Have you any thoughts about how you would deal with this? Would you say a monster race has to get an ECL of 37 or would you only count racial HD and class levels (and ignore any LA penalty)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've not got Pathfinder (yet), and I'm not totally familiar with the Pathfinder version of the SRD. Does Pathfinder have a separate set of epic rules (like 3e) or have they been integrated?
Currently, there are no hard and fast epic rules. Currently, there is only a set of guidelines .
Big Mac wrote:IIRC, Pathfinder removed LA penalties (and made high ECL races impossible to play). Have you any thoughts about how you would deal with this? Would you say a monster race has to get an ECL of 37 or would you only count racial HD and class levels (and ignore any LA penalty)?
What I think I am going to do is make it mandatory for any creature that wishes to pursue a path of immortality to have a minimum of 36 character levels and then go through a rite of passage. Failure indicates the end of the characters adventuring days and depending on how spectacularly bad they fail, their life as well. Racial HD will impose a cumulative -1 penalty on all task resolution checks per racial HD; when they gain enough experience points to have a total amount of levels equal to their racial HD their XP resets to 0 and may start to gain levels in character classes.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

More thoughts....to be expanded in more detail later.

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon May 23, 2011 6:56 pm

001-036 Mortal
037-072 Immortal
073-108 Deity

Common NPCs of 1-6th level are the norm. NPCs of 7th level or higher are rare, and more rare for each additional level. Non-humanoids are the exception.

Set number of immortals; 9 per level (324). Potential for various volumes of Immortal Bestiaries (needs a better name).
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Musings

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm

IMMORTAL POTENTATE
Prerequisites
Minimum Character Level: 36th
Base Class: Any one seen through to completion
Paragon Path: Any one seen through to completion
Other Class Levels: 10 class levels multiclassed at PCs option and/or prestige class levels as seen fit by PC.

[b]Level[/b]|[b]BAB[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[b]Special[/b] 1st|+0|+0|+0|+0|Disdain Mortality, Immortal Ascendant, Immortal Talents
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the immortal potentate.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Immortal potentates gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor.
Disdain Mortality (Ex): Your body is freed from the bonds of time and no longer ages, however you can still die by conventional means. Any aging effects already in place remain.
Immortal Ascendant: You need to make a choice; you can choose to pursue an Immortal class or continue to gain levels in non-immortal classes and gain additional benefits based on your character level.
Immortal Talents: Whenever you qualify for a new feat by virtue of your character level you can either choose to gain one base feat, gain one base feat laden ability* or one Immortal Talent.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 25, 2011 5:46 pm

*Feat laden abilities effectively double the power of the base feat and in some cases might be able to be gained more than once. Here is an example of the laden ability of one base feat:

Laden Willpower
You have exceptionally strong willpower.
Prerequisite: Iron Will
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to your base will save.
Special: You can gain this laden ability more than once and its effect stacks.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 25, 2011 5:56 pm

In BECMI, Immortality can be reached at 36th level, or actually sooner as well should the character be able to complete his quest for Immortality before that. Immortals are on par with Deities.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Havard wrote:In BECMI, Immortality can be reached at 36th level, or actually sooner as well should the character be able to complete his quest for Immortality before that. Immortals are on par with Deities.

-Havard
Sarûnia has 3 tiers; Mortal (levels 001-036), Immortal (levels 037-072) & Deity (levels 073-108). No being can have more than 108 levels. A being can have a maximum amount of Hit Dice equal to their base race HD + class HD; they cannot advance as both, once a creature is advanced in Hit Dice beyond its base it cannot gain class levels.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”