Outer World: Serpent Peninsula, 24 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Serpent Peninsula, 24 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 am

Maps

Replica of Wild Lands map from X6, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, February 2006
Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of poster map from Champions of Mystara, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Updated map of the Serpent Peninsula, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, June 2005 (Out of Date)
Image Image Image

Comments
The updated map shows the Serpent Peninsula with consistency issues between the Champions of Mystara Great Waste and Serpent Peninsula maps fixed, and the edge of the Thanegioth Archipelago and some small islands in the Sea of Dread added from the Expert Set map.

Sources: Expert Rules Set (1983), X6 Quagmire! (1984), Champions of Mystara (1993).

Notes on Updated map (Champions of Mystara)
To Do List
  1. Update X6 replica map, change hex art to old style, and create original colours variant.
  2. Check Champions of Mystara, X6 and other relevant sources for geographic details and write notes on the updated map.
  3. Revise updated map to conform with 8 mile per hex Yavdlom maps.
References
Thanks to:

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Re: Outer World: Serpent Peninsula, 24 miles per hex

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 am

What about adding also the Dragon's Teeth Reef from X7 and X1SOLO? It should be visible along the eastern border on the map. Its shape is visible from X7 map. ;)
Maybe it could be shown also in the Known World map.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 am

LoZompatore wrote:What about adding also the Dragon's Teeth Reef from X7 and X1SOLO? It should be visible along the eastern border on the map. Its shape is visible from X7 map. ;)
It's should just be a normal reef symbol, right? The little black dot pattern? Because we also have the Savage Coast cream coloured shoals that we could use. (I'm not entirely clear on the difference... Edit: Ah, as I suspected, shoals are also known as sandbars. Similar to reefs in many ways, but a little more restricted.)

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am

Thorf wrote:
LoZompatore wrote:What about adding also the Dragon's Teeth Reef from X7 and X1SOLO? It should be visible along the eastern border on the map. Its shape is visible from X7 map. ;)
It's should just be a normal reef symbol, right? The little black dot pattern? Because we also have the Savage Coast cream coloured shoals that we could use. (I'm not entirely clear on the difference... Edit: Ah, as I suspected, shoals are also known as sandbars. Similar to reefs in many ways, but a little more restricted.)
shoals do suggest a more transitory sand based feature if used in a geomorphological sense, but in a nautical, hydrographic sense a shoal is moreso any feature which can be at or just below the sea level including for instance reefs.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:35 pm

stanles wrote:
Thorf wrote:
shoals do suggest a more transitory sand based feature if used in a geomorphological sense, but in a nautical, hydrographic sense a shoal is moreso any feature which can be at or just below the sea level including for instance reefs.
Yes, I think you're quite right, Shawn. Since we have both marked on Mystaran maps, I guess that the difference might be that shoals are composed of sand, whereas reefs can be anything from stone or rocks to coral. Shoals are likely to be close to the shore, whereas reefs may be in shallow water further from the coast. Finally, both may be submerged at high tide and revealed at low tide, remain submerged at low tide, or remain visible just above the water level at high tide. (Is this about right? I'm especially unsure about the last point.)

Okay, I called my dad and asked him. He said that reefs (also known as skerries) are always hard, made of rock or coral. They may or may not be submerged at high tide, and they may or may not be revealed at low tide. Shoal is a somewhat complicated word, because it has lots of meanings - including simply "shallow" when used as an adjective, as in "shoal water" (shallow water). He also said that while a sandbank/sandbar is a shoal, not all shoals are sandbanks.

It sounds like the Mystaran shoals, given their colour on the maps, and their positions near the coast and at river mouths, are sandbanks. They may or may not be submerged at high tide.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Thorf wrote:Okay, I called my dad and asked him. He said that reefs (also known as skerries) are always hard, made of rock or coral. They may or may not be submerged at high tide, and they may or may not be revealed at low tide. Shoal is a somewhat complicated word, because it has lots of meanings - including simply "shallow" when used as an adjective, as in "shoal water" (shallow water). He also said that while a sandbank/sandbar is a shoal, not all shoals are sandbanks.

It sounds like the Mystaran shoals, given their colour on the maps, and their positions near the coast and at river mouths, are sandbanks. They may or may not be submerged at high tide.
I would think shoals are the more dangerous of the two as well, since they (sandbars, especially) are constantly and swiftly changing their size, shape, and location.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Hugin wrote:
Thorf wrote:Okay, I called my dad and asked him. He said that reefs (also known as skerries) are always hard, made of rock or coral. They may or may not be submerged at high tide, and they may or may not be revealed at low tide. Shoal is a somewhat complicated word, because it has lots of meanings - including simply "shallow" when used as an adjective, as in "shoal water" (shallow water). He also said that while a sandbank/sandbar is a shoal, not all shoals are sandbanks.

I would think shoals are the more dangerous of the two as well, since they (sandbars, especially) are constantly and swiftly changing their size, shape, and location.
yeah you're right in terms of navigation they're definitely the more dangerous. Unless of course the individual corals, or stromatolites, or whatever gain a hive-like gestalt intelligence and some form of movement and then start going on the rampage.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:00 pm

stanles wrote:yeah you're right in terms of navigation they're definitely the more dangerous. Unless of course the individual corals, or stromatolites, or whatever gain a hive-like gestalt intelligence and some form of movement and then start going on the rampage.
Perhaps possessed by the spirits of a ship's crew which perished after smashing into the reef during a tremendous storm? :twisted:

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Update: Minor hex art update, error fix, and palette tweaks to Champions of Mystara replicas. I also added in the legend for these maps.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”