[Pathfinder SciFi] StarTrails!

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Pathfinder SciFi] StarTrails!

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 am

Been working on a campaign template for a Pathfinder SciFi kind of game. Here's what I have so far:

Races
[b]Race[/b]|[b]Favored Class[/b]|[b]Notes[/b]|[b]Pronunciation[/b] Human|Any|-|- Aquelian|Ascetic|Water Race|UH-quell-lay-UN Nilagron|Pilot|-|NIL-AG-RON Rael|Kineticist|Tech Elves|RAY-el Sijael / Sijaelian|Savant|-|Sih JAY-EL / Sih JAY-LEE-IN Timuhija|Sentinel|Large|TIH-MEW-HEH-JUH Timunean|Engineer|Small|TIH-MEW-knee-IN Zarnaen|Psychomancer|-|ZAR-NAY-ENN

Classes
[b]Class[/b]|[b]Fantasy Analogue[/b]|[b]Powers[/b]* Ascetic|Monk / Paladin|Very Good chance Bounty Hunter|Ranger|No Conciliator| Faceman / Bard|No Engineer|Mech/Tech Head|No Kineticist|Sorcerer / Wizard|Yes Outlander|Barbarian|No Pilot|n/a|No Pyschomancer|Healer / Wizard|Yes Savant|Skill Monkey|No Sentinel|Fighter / Paladin|No Web Runner|Hacker / Rogue|Slight Chance

*Powers are Spells reflavored as Psionics
Spell Schools act as skills and your skill rank acts as your caster level. In order to gain a spell from a spell school your caster level with it must be twice the chosen spells level.

---------------------------------------
The only thing I'm lacking is a unifying background linking everything together, but all in due time. Thoughts?
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Sat May 09, 2015 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Pathfinder SciFi

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 am

Sounds like a fun project. For the hacker, take a look at the latest editon of Shadowrun. They have really gotten away from the 80s concept of what a hacker would be like. Having a wireless connection implant connected to your brain really makes them into a kind of wizards.

Are you looking for a kind of space sci fi, or more of a cyberpunk type thing? If going with space (since you have pilots), how about limiting it to a single solar system? People always tend to underestimate how much room there is to play in within a single system. What if hyperspace tech never got invented, but intensive terraforming became the focus instead?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 am

Havard wrote:Having a wireless connection implant connected to your brain really makes them into a kind of wizards.
The Borg are a comin'
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Havard wrote:Sounds like a fun project. For the hacker, take a look at the latest editon of Shadowrun. They have really gotten away from the 80s concept of what a hacker would be like. Having a wireless connection implant connected to your brain really makes them into a kind of wizards.
Wireless Neural Interface Jack; Alternity. I love that tech so much and understand it well enough to wrap my mind around the Matrix movies. I'll definitely check out the newest edition of Shadowrun.
Havard wrote:Are you looking for a kind of space sci fi, or more of a cyberpunk type thing?
Both actually. One idea I've been toying with for a long time are interface beacons which transmit wireless signals throughout solar systems and nearby stars, effectively forming a network between colonized systems. I'd love to implement it in this campaign.
Havard wrote:If going with space (since you have pilots), how about limiting it to a single solar system? People always tend to underestimate how much room there is to play in within a single system. What if hyperspace tech never got invented, but intensive terraforming became the focus instead?
One thing I do want the campaign to get away from is the whole galactic scale from. I'm going to limit the campaign to probably 4 sub-sectors with the rest of the galaxy eluded to. Only if a game calls for more to be fleshed out, then it will be done, but no more than the bare minimum.

Caeliforming and terraforming are techs that will be used and I am going to let myself be heavily inspired form the Master of Orion 2 game.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm

After a long hiatus, I got some work done on this last night.

Savant
[b]Level[/b]|[b]BAB[/b]|[b]Fort[/b]|[b]Ref[/b]|[b]Will[/b]|[b]Special[/b]|[b]Foci Talent[/b] 1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Advanced Skill Training, Mental Agility|1st 2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Superior Skill Training| 3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Bonus Feat|2nd 4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Studious| 5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Advanced Skill Training|3rd 6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Bonus Feat| 7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Secondary Focus|4th 8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Superior Skill Training| 9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Bonus Feat|5th 10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Studious| 11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Advanced Skill Training|6th 12|+6/+1|+4|+4|+7|Bonus Feat| 13|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Six Second Solution|7th 14|+7/+2|+4|+4|+8|Superior Skill Training| 15|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Bonus Feat|8th 16|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Studious| 17|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Advanced Skill Training|9th 18|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Bonus Feat| 19|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Enlightened Inspiration|10th 20|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Know-It-All, Superior Skill Training|

Advanced Skill Training (Ex): At 1st and 5th level, then every six levels thereafter the savant chooses one skill. If the skill is one that she is already trained in, she gains the skill focus feat with it, if it isn't than she becomes trained with it. In addition her maximum skill rank with the skill increases to her character level +3.

Foci Talent: The savant chooses one of six areas of focus; Devotion, Fast, Glamor, Smart, Strong, Tough. The savant gains the base ability of the foci, adds the listed skills to her class skill list and chooses one talent. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter the savant chooses one additional foci talent of her choice.

Mental Agility (Ex): The savant is allowed to make untrained Knowledge checks. In addition the savant may apply her Intelligence modifier instead of her standard ability modifier to a skill check a number of times per day equal to one-third her class level +2.

Superior Skill Training (Ex): At 2nd level and every six levels thereafter. The savant chooses one skill that she has advanced skill training with. If she doesn't already have the skill focus feat for the skill, she gains it. In addition her maximum rank with the skill increases to character level +6.

Studious: At 4th, 10th and 16th level the savant gains bonus skill points equal to her Intelligence modifier in which to spend on various Knowledge specialties.

Secondary Focus: At 7th level the savant chooses one additional area of focus. She gains the base ability of it and adds the skills from it to her class skill list. In additional whenever she gains a foci talent she may choose one from either of her areas of focus.

Six Second Solution (Ex): At 13th level the savant predesignates one skill check and it gains a bonus to the check result equal to half the savant's class level and in addition the skill is completed in half the normal amount of time (to a minimum of half of a round). The savant can use this ability three times per day.

Enlightened Inspiration (Ex): At 19th level the savant can apply her Intelligence modifier to any task resolution check except for those that already apply her Intelligence modifier to the task 3 times per day.

Know It All (Ex): At 20th level the savant gains 1 skill rank in every skill except for those that require the character to choose a specified specialization. The character may not exceed their maximum skill rank in any given skill due to this class feature. In addition the character gains a +3 bonus to her Intelligence score.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:Sounds like a fun project. For the hacker, take a look at the latest editon of Shadowrun. They have really gotten away from the 80s concept of what a hacker would be like. Having a wireless connection implant connected to your brain really makes them into a kind of wizards.
Wireless Neural Interface Jack; Alternity. I love that tech so much and understand it well enough to wrap my mind around the Matrix movies. I'll definitely check out the newest edition of Shadowrun.
Havard wrote:Are you looking for a kind of space sci fi, or more of a cyberpunk type thing?
Both actually. One idea I've been toying with for a long time are interface beacons which transmit wireless signals throughout solar systems and nearby stars, effectively forming a network between colonized systems. I'd love to implement it in this campaign.
Havard wrote:If going with space (since you have pilots), how about limiting it to a single solar system? People always tend to underestimate how much room there is to play in within a single system. What if hyperspace tech never got invented, but intensive terraforming became the focus instead?
One thing I do want the campaign to get away from is the whole galactic scale from. I'm going to limit the campaign to probably 4 sub-sectors with the rest of the galaxy eluded to. Only if a game calls for more to be fleshed out, then it will be done, but no more than the bare minimum.

Caeliforming and terraforming are techs that will be used and I am going to let myself be heavily inspired form the Master of Orion 2 game.
I think galaxies are too big to map properly, the Milky Way for instance has 100 billion stars, no way your going to map those! If I had a choice I'd do a map out to a 100 light year sphere and no more, and I'd have the core systems within a 50 light year radius in all 3 dimensions. Assume on average there are 100 star systems within a 20 light year radius sphere, take this out to 100 light years and there are 5 cubed as many stars as that, which is 125 x 100 = 12,500 stars, about as many as the Third Imperium in Traveller, except their maps are in 2 dimensions. I think one Solar System is too small, we need an FTL system, but not a Galaxy spanning one. That is my preference at any rate.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:03 am

I finished all the class abilites of the Savant.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:27 am

I'm considering renaming the Web Runner a Neuromancer.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:32 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I'm considering renaming the Web Runner a Neuromancer.
Any Gibson references/homages are pluses in my book. :D
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I finished all the class abilites of the Savant.
What if I use this RPG for the Kepler 22b setting? So far I've established its an artificial planet 30,700 km in diameter 590 light years away in the year 3300 AD. A human crew is brought up in the starship by AIs during the last 20 years of the voyage prior to planetfall.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote: Wireless Neural Interface Jack; Alternity. I love that tech so much and understand it well enough to wrap my mind around the Matrix movies. I'll definitely check out the newest edition of Shadowrun.
I've been puttering around with a project converting the Alternity Gridcasting into something of an in-game MMRPG/sport, reworking the programs as spells, armor, and items, mirroring program strengths to the BECMI level breakdown framework...
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:28 pm

RobJN wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote: Wireless Neural Interface Jack; Alternity. I love that tech so much and understand it well enough to wrap my mind around the Matrix movies. I'll definitely check out the newest edition of Shadowrun.
I've been puttering around with a project converting the Alternity Gridcasting into something of an in-game MMRPG/sport, reworking the programs as spells, armor, and items, mirroring program strengths to the BECMI level breakdown framework...
What if you use regular Pathfinder for that with standard classes and races? Each race and class stand for something in the electronic world. Each person has a seperate electronic character which reflects his Pathfinder SciFi skill in the grid. Create a Fantasy world that represents the structure of the grid, as a sort of analog for what's really going on electronically.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Generic hard(er) Sci Fi classes
Generic|Traveller Equivalent|Pathfinder Sci Fi|Hit Dice Barbarian|Barbarian|Outlander|d12 Belter|Belter|None|d8 Crewman|Navy, Scout|Pilot, Engineer|d8 Medic|Professional|None|d6 Mercenary|Army, Marine, Mercenary|Sentinel|d10 Merchant|Merchant|None|d8 Noble|Noble|None|d8 Rogue|Rogue|Web Runner?|d8 Scientist|Academic|None|d6

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:34 pm

The medic and scientist would be a savant with appropriate skill training.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:The medic and scientist would be a savant with appropriate skill training.
I think a Web Runner would be a sort of Rogue, or perhaps a Scientist, but not all Rogues are Web Runners. Han Solo is your typical Rogue, but he doesn't do alot of computer hacking or net running, net running is a geekish thing more associated with what scientists do, that is they have some expertise in some technical field, a hacker uses that expertise usually to commit a crime over the internet, but he operates from a computer or terminal in the safety of some office. the term Rogue applies to a number of sneaky professions that often skirt the borders of the law if not outright breaking them. A Space Pirate is a Rogue for example, as is a burglar and a pick pocket, on thing they all have in common is they are physically present when they commit their Roguish act, a hacker on the otherhand operates remotely from some undisclosed location over a computer network, I wonder if Rogue is an appropriate term for what a netrunner is, or is it more like a Savant for example.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I'll be working on this more in the new year. I intend to shift days between working on Sarunia and this project at least writing one page of content in MS Word in Calibri font, size 11. I may exclusively work on this, inspiration permitting.

My goal is to have a complete set of races, classes, skills and feats done no later than the beginning of April. Equipment should be done no later than the beginning of June. Magic/Spells/Gridcasting/Powers should be done no later than the beginning of October. All additional info, such as PrCs, Environment and adapting Pathfinder monsters as Alien species should be complete with a projected goal of releasing a Beta Playtest by Christmas of next year.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Pathfinder SciFi] Starblazer!

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 pm

I am going to be coming back to this project soonish. I first want to get my hands on Psionics Unleashed / Ultimate Psionics from Dreamscarred Press. I may change-up the class line-up. I am thinking of amalgamating Pathfinder with Star Wars and Traveller. The Psionics system will use the powers from PU/UP, but I am not sure that I want a dedicated force-user/psionics class. If I do it will have a serious leg-up over other psionic characters. Also I may integrate my ideas for re-working incarnum into this, perhaps to differentiate between classed psions and non-classed psions.

I also have a name for this project; Starblazer!

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat May 09, 2015 12:32 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:I also have a name for this project; Starblazer!
Is that from the 1979 comic book Starblazer, the Space Battleship Yamato localization in English as Star Blazers, or the 2008 Cubicle 7 RPG Starblazer Adventures (which was based on the comic book)? :P

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 09, 2015 3:08 am

The Dark wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:I also have a name for this project; Starblazer!
Is that from the 1979 comic book Starblazer, the Space Battleship Yamato localization in English as Star Blazers, or the 2008 Cubicle 7 RPG Starblazer Adventures (which was based on the comic book)? :P
I thought I was being original. :facepalm: I'll have to come up with a new title.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat May 09, 2015 6:23 am

All the good names have already been taken :|
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Pathfinder SciFi] Startrails!

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 09, 2015 7:39 am

Okay, changed it to StarTrails!

Given that is taken, an alternative....
Traseestele (StarTrails in Romanian, I'd use this as a springboard for the history)

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”