[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [OOC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

Knightfall wrote:I'm going to work on updating you PC first -- hopefully tomorrow. I'll repost the stats in the Campaign Guide once it's done.
I am actually going to have the time later today to actually work on my character, so I can and will take that off your plate. I thought perhaps you might have gotten it done already, but being that both us have been delayed is a bit of a blessing as it allows me to choose how to advance Thistle personally. I do appreciate that you would have done it for me though. I am looking forward to playing her again.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I'm going to work on updating you PC first -- hopefully tomorrow. I'll repost the stats in the Campaign Guide once it's done.
I am actually going to have the time later today to actually work on my character, so I can and will take that off your plate. I thought perhaps you might have gotten it done already, but being that both us have been delayed is a bit of a blessing as it allows me to choose how to advance Thistle personally. I do appreciate that you would have done it for me though. I am looking forward to playing her again.

Okay, I'll leave it up to you to do.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

FYI, while I'm mainly working on encounters and other things today, I am planning on making at least one post today. It might be the entrance of Master Rosenberg or it might be the reintroduction of Thistle into the game. If one of those posts doesn't get done today, it will likely go up on Monday.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:09 pm

I assumed the Dragori were elves before you mentioned them being reptilian. What exactly do they look like? Lizardmen, dragonborn, Yuan-Ti, or something else?
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 am

willpell wrote:I assumed the Dragori were elves before you mentioned them being reptilian. What exactly do they look like? Lizardmen, dragonborn, Yuan-Ti, or something else?

Like this...

Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

So, similar to lizardmen in general appearance. Very cool.

Anyone who's read "Volo's Guide to Monsters" will know that this book has an extensive treatment of lizardmen as a PC race. While I'm not expecting that the Dragori confirm entirely to this, I'm wondering if they're close enough that I could use this as a basis for what Relgar has heard about them. Specifically, it details them as being completely emotionless, which the autistic Relgar would be somewhat in awe of.

While we're on the subject, how would you imagine Thersean's voice sounding? The only references I can think of for a reptilian humanoid voice are Reptile from Mortal Kombat X (you can find many clips on YouTube), or a generically soft sibilant hissing tone. The latter seems a better fit for this particular Dragori, since it's obvious that he's exquisitely polite.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm

willpell wrote:So, similar to lizardmen in general appearance. Very cool.

That image is from the Castles and Crusades version of the Bluffside book (which I have access to in digital format, thanks to Hal Greenberg). The d20 version has the dragori with a slightly different appearance, which is more unique, IMO. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital version of that book. The books interior art was done by many different artists, and I've yet to find the d20 image of the dragori anywhere online.

willpell wrote:Anyone who's read "Volo's Guide to Monsters" will know that this book has an extensive treatment of lizardmen as a PC race. While I'm not expecting that the Dragori confirm entirely to this, I'm wondering if they're close enough that I could use this as a basis for what Relgar has heard about them. Specifically, it details them as being completely emotionless, which the autistic Relgar would be somewhat in awe of.

This book is the main reference for the region that the dragori come from: http://tsr.bothgunsblazing.com/d20/dryland.htm

I wouldn't say that the dragori are like lizardfolk/men. They are typically Lawful Neutral and their official god is their empire's Dragon Emperor, although other gods are worshiped amongst them, sporadically. There are three distinct types of dragori: the dragori-nen (fighters), the dragori-fehr (monks), and the dragori-sah (sorcerers).

willpell wrote:While we're on the subject, how would you imagine Thersean's voice sounding? The only references I can think of for a reptilian humanoid voice are Reptile from Mortal Kombat X (you can find many clips on YouTube), or a generically soft sibilant hissing tone. The latter seems a better fit for this particular Dragori, since it's obvious that he's exquisitely polite.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding. While the dragori are a reptilian race, Thersean is an wild elf not a dragori. His clan/tribe (who live around an oasis) is allied with the dragori and he was asked to act for them in this situation.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 pm

FYI, there is a review of the Dry Lands book here: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9398.phtml

And you can get it on RPGNow: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/185239/Dr ... agon-Sands
It's on sale for $3.99 US right now.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 pm

FYI, I'm hoping to put up my next reply either tonight or some time tomorrow.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 am

New post up for the main group of PCs. I'm going to try to get one up for Angel's PC tonight too, but it could slip to tomorrow. ;)
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 03, 2017 8:08 pm

I will begin working on a new reply later tonight. I have physio this afternoon.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Wed May 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I've decided that the ideal foil for Relgar to run into at some point is another Human Paragon (probably one who's an arcanist built around a slightly-OP prestige class, as he is), one who similarly uses the +2 attribute boost to exceed the normal human maximum of 18...but in Charisma. It would be cliche for this individual to be a femme fatale who attempts to seduce our Sherlock-esque genius and renders him all flustered, so instead, perhaps they're a maddeningly socially-adept male rake, or a female politician whose glad-handing and baby-kissing renders her genuinely liked by the majority of people, despite the fact that she's secretly corrupt as all hell. In either case, s/he would be the master of the very interpersonal skills that Relgar not only lacks, but hates just for existing, and would disdain his pure intelligence as being worse than useless (perhaps even to the point of effectively calling him "neeeeerd!" in Medieval parlance).

If this enemy was a sorcerer, s/he would be badly hampered by 3E rules which have the sorc lagging a full level behind the wizard in terms of spell access; only once both have their 9ths at levels 17 and 18 do they actually balance with each other. This is made worse by the one dead (ie non-spell-advancing) level of Human Paragon; like the widely-maligned Mystic Theurge, the character would need six character levels just to get a second-level spell! However, there are a lot of things you can do with sorcerers to try and mitigate this, such as giving them Draconic feats (anything involving scales would be problematic in terms of making the character an expert social maven, but just having the eyes and voice of a dragon, the former concealed behind ruby-quartz lenses, a demure full-face veil, or a shadowy hood from within which they glow only when casting, would work fine). I'm tempted to take on the challenge of trying to design this NPC myself, though it's perhaps not the ideal use for my time.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm pretty sure Knightfall wouldn't want us to be meta-gaming.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby willpell » Thu May 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I'm pretty sure Knightfall wouldn't want us to be meta-gaming.

I'm not metagaming, I'm fleshing out a possible plot element.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu May 04, 2017 10:16 pm

willpell wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:I'm pretty sure Knightfall wouldn't want us to be meta-gaming.

I'm not metagaming, I'm fleshing out a possible plot element.
Oh, I must have read into your post the wrong way. I do have some difficulty processing information at times, so my apologies.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Thu May 04, 2017 10:28 pm

willpell wrote:I've decided that the ideal foil for Relgar to run into at some point is another Human Paragon (probably one who's an arcanist built around a slightly-OP prestige class, as he is), one who similarly uses the +2 attribute boost to exceed the normal human maximum of 18...but in Charisma. It would be cliche for this individual to be a femme fatale who attempts to seduce our Sherlock-esque genius and renders him all flustered, so instead, perhaps they're a maddeningly socially-adept male rake, or a female politician whose glad-handing and baby-kissing renders her genuinely liked by the majority of people, despite the fact that she's secretly corrupt as all hell. In either case, s/he would be the master of the very interpersonal skills that Relgar not only lacks, but hates just for existing, and would disdain his pure intelligence as being worse than useless (perhaps even to the point of effectively calling him "neeeeerd!" in Medieval parlance).

If this enemy was a sorcerer, s/he would be badly hampered by 3E rules which have the sorc lagging a full level behind the wizard in terms of spell access; only once both have their 9ths at levels 17 and 18 do they actually balance with each other. This is made worse by the one dead (ie non-spell-advancing) level of Human Paragon; like the widely-maligned Mystic Theurge, the character would need six character levels just to get a second-level spell! However, there are a lot of things you can do with sorcerers to try and mitigate this, such as giving them Draconic feats (anything involving scales would be problematic in terms of making the character an expert social maven, but just having the eyes and voice of a dragon, the former concealed behind ruby-quartz lenses, a demure full-face veil, or a shadowy hood from within which they glow only when casting, would work fine). I'm tempted to take on the challenge of trying to design this NPC myself, though it's perhaps not the ideal use for my time.

All good ideas that I will keep in mind. :cool:
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 05, 2017 12:08 am

New post added. willpell, i need you to roll a Will saving throw for Relgar.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 05, 2017 5:03 am

New post up for Thistle. FYI, it is roughly 264 feet from the fork in the road to the entrance of the Temple Gate.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Fri May 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Knightfall wrote:New post added. willpell, i need you to roll a Will saving throw for Relgar.

You can make my rolls for me.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 3:19 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:New post added. willpell, i need you to roll a Will saving throw for Relgar.

You can make my rolls for me.

1d20+7=11 (success, half damage)

Inflict Moderate Wounds Trap: 2d8+5=12
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun May 07, 2017 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Sun May 07, 2017 3:28 am

Didn't know Inflict Wounds even had a save.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 4:26 am

willpell wrote:Didn't know Inflict Wounds even had a save.

It's the fact that it is a magical trap that gives a save.

And note my IC post regarding the resuly. Did you roll hit points? I need to know how many Relgar has?

1st hit die is at maximum.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 6:04 am

Whoops, I made an error with the inflict trap. It's supposed to be a light wounds trap, not an moderate wounds trap. And I got the DC wrong. I put it at 13 and it should have been at 11. :facepalm:

Damage: 1d8+1=4 / 2 = 2
Extra +2 to Spellcraft roll and Reflex save vs. the fireball trap.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 am

Reworking the saves and damage, Relgar saves against both traps and takes half-damage from both. 2 + 18 = 20 total damage.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 am

Saves vs. Widened Fireball Trap (40 ft. by 40 ft., DC 14, CR 7)
Custodio: 1d20+2+5=11 (failed)
Elkgrar: 1d20+2+3=21 (saved, half damage)
Rhodes (just outside of temple, no bonus): 1d20+5=17+2=19 (partial cover; saved, half damage)
Rosenberg (just outside of temple, no bonus): 1d20+9=11+2=13 (partial cover; failed)
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue May 09, 2017 4:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe