Introduce yourself here

Welcome area for new members. With subforums for off-topic discussion, gamers seeking gamers and play by post gaming.
SosTheRope
Kobold

Re: Introduce yourself here

Post by SosTheRope » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 pm
SosTheRope wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 pm
Hi all, I came here on the recommendation of #rpglifeuk on twitter, I'm a UK bloke finally discovering the wonderful UK RPG scene only after having moved to Germany (d'oh). Due to massive time committments, I'm seeking a very relaxed Skype D&D game with potential to develop.

Welcome to the boards SosTheRope! :)

I see you have already found the Magic Mirror :)

-Havard
Thanks :-) Yeah, came for the small ads, looks like a fun place to browse around too....

RobinGoodfellow1976
Kobold

Post by RobinGoodfellow1976 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 am

Hello all. I am thinking I may have stumbled into the right place. I am a lover of old style RPGs with two versions of D&D at the top of the list (BECMI and 2nd ed), though I have nothing against anyone who likes older or newer versions. Some friends at the Mystara page on FB pointed me here.

I am currently running a BECMI project on R20 by PbP (as well as Numenera and MtA, but those are neither here nor there), but I am craving more conversation and the company of DM minded people who love older games. And maybe to find some play time myself.

Also I was told that I can find good discussion on 2nd ed, here which is really lacking in other social media.

I am not sure what other details matter. I have been a GM for 30 years. I host the Dragon magazine appreciation site on FB (less than a week old). I have played half of everything out there, and I am woefully ignorant of the other half.

I really just love D&D and especially that of my youth and I am looking for a group that has a similar appreciation.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 am

Greetings, RobinGoodfellow1976! Welcome to The Piazza. You've come to the right place. I look forward to future conversations!

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 pm

RobinGoodfellow1976 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 am
Hello all.
Howdy! Welcome
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

RobinGoodfellow1976
Kobold

Post by RobinGoodfellow1976 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Thank you all. I next plan to hop over to your BECMI and 2nd ed boards and peruse.

capnskillet7
Goblin

Post by capnskillet7 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Greetings fellow roleplayers!

I am Ken, AKA DM Capn or Capnskillet. I got my start with tabletop roleplaying as a teenager in the 90s, first playing AD&D 2nd edition with a couple of friends. We were all very inexperienced and just took turns DMing, mostly not even knowing the rules very well. But we loved creating characters and fighting monsters. Once college and work started, I pretty much stopped playing tabletop games, but I did play D&D based games on PC and consoles, and I read a lot of R.A. Salvatore and some other fantasy authors. I also got into Lord of the Rings, both the books and movies. I eventually moved into World of Warcraft and some other MMO games.

Along the way, I also became a pastor, and often in my circles, D&D and games like it are frowned upon, so I did not seek to play them again. However, I met a friend who had been into 3.5 edition, and along with his brother, we decided to play 4th edition. While this edition had its issues, we had fun, and it got me back into the game again. Eventually, they moved away, and I was out of D&D again for a few years. However, I still watched Acquisitions Inc. and other D&D shows occasionally. Finally, I decided to ask some people in my WoW guild if they were interested in trying D&D.

I got five takers, so I started a game using the Storm King's Thunder module. That was about two years ago, and tonight will be the finale of that campaign. We had bumps in the road, and I was not always a great DM, but I have learned a lot and grown, and we have had great fun. We actually finished the SKT content a while back, but the players gave me a lot to work with on character arcs, so we have had a lot of extra content to take care of those things. Finally tonight, at level 13, the group known as The Relentless will retire to their keep for a while.

Along the way I have started a second game in the same Storm King's Thunder universe, with two of the same players in that game as well. One of my players has also started her own game, and she is an amazing DM with great artistic ability. I also will hopefully start another game this summer with teens from my community, using the 4e DM kit adventure but translated to 5e rules. I'm excited that I am fully involved in this great hobby and spreading the love of it to others. Thanks for having me here, and I hope to contribute what I can!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Welcome, Ken! It's great to have you join us. I can relate to having played as a teen, then taking a long break and returning. 4e was the edition that brought me back as well. I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Lord Gwydion
Goblin

Post by Lord Gwydion » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

Hi, I'm Dennis Laffey. Some of you may remember me by my old alias Lord Gwydion which I used when I was on the old WotC forum and Dragonsfoot forum. I've got a blog, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse..., and I've written the Flying Swordsmen (free OSR retroclone) and Chanbara (not-for-free Japanese fantasy themed OSR) RPGs.

I started playing with the Mentzer Basic Set way back at the tail end of 1984, and have pretty much been playing regularly or semi-regularly ever since. I've mostly played various versions of D&D (I've tried every rule set except Holmes Basic over the years), plus lots of Star Frontiers, some Gamma World, TMNT & Other Strangeness, d20 Modern, a few other Palladium campaigns, plenty of small indie games and retro-clone versions of D&D, etc. But I always come back to D&D.

These days I'm running a "D&D Mine" version that's a mix of BX/BECMI and AD&D stuff that I like. And a Chanbara game, of course!

Thanks to Tim Baker and Havard for getting me to finally join the Piazza. Hope to get to know you all and have some fun discussions soon.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Welcome to the Piazza, Dennis! It's always great to have a designer join us. I look forward to future discussions.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Lord Gwydion wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am
Hi, I'm Dennis Laffey. Some of you may remember me by my old alias Lord Gwydion which I used when I was on the old WotC forum and Dragonsfoot forum. I've got a blog, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse..., and I've written the Flying Swordsmen (free OSR retroclone) and Chanbara (not-for-free Japanese fantasy themed OSR) RPGs.
Good to see you here finally Dennis! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

KtA
Goblin

Post by KtA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am

Hi!

I currently play and run 5e. My primary world interests are Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and Planescape, and I'm just starting to learn about Eberron. My current campaign is a plane-hopping one, not quite Planescape, but incorporating many of the same elements.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 pm

It's great to have you join us! Those are some fun campaign settings. I hope the remainder of them receive official 5e support before long.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:43 pm

KtA wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am
Hi!

I currently play and run 5e. My primary world interests are Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and Planescape, and I'm just starting to learn about Eberron. My current campaign is a plane-hopping one, not quite Planescape, but incorporating many of the same elements.
Hiya Kta!

Welcome to The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:09 am

I'm going to re-introduce myself....

My name is Angel Tarragon. I have been a gamer since 1991, biting my gaming teeth on AD&D 1E. I've been hooked on TTRPGs since, exploring the worlds of fantasy rpgs for twenty-eight years. I'd have to say for the sake of nostalgia, that my favorite setting is Pre-4E Forgotten Realms. If you were to ask me what my all time favorite setting is though it would be Ravenloft & Masque of the red Death. My favorite current setting is Midgard by Kobold Press/Open Design. I've been creating worlds for almost as long as I have been a gamer...my first homebrew setting was very close to the Forgotten Realms, at least in shape...I had some mapping done and then at some point I picked up the FR 2E Revised setting and compared the two maps and I was blown away by how close they were to being identical (even if mine wasn't a full continent, just a part of a coast), at that point I gave myself to the Realms and have been hooked since.

I've played many RPGS over the years; AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, D&D 3E, Mutants & Masterminds, GURPS and RIFTS mostly. I remember playing RuneQuest and a single game of ElfQuest. I'm sure I've played a few other obscure RPGs, but I can't remember them all. I've had a lot of great memories as a game master and player.

The single most defining thing about myself as a person though has been coming to terms with being transgender (MTF). What it means to me and how I have changed because of it. I am a lot more attuned to the things that bring me happiness and when I am channeling the love I have for myself and experiencing the highs of my emotions, I can be moved to tears of joy...something I was previously incapable of before realizing my truth. I am happy and proud to be who I am. I don't know what the future holds, I know one thing though, I am a gamer...even though I have tried to deny it many times. I realize I must pursue that which makes me happy.

I have become stronger in the face of overwhelming odds to give in to the darkness; to sorrow, pain, misery and suffering. I've dealt with a lot of people that have tried to use their words and their emotions to trap me into being where they want me to be. Well, another thing I know is that I am no longer in the dark about my own power. It's taken me 42 years to realize that in accepting myself, in being able to love myself that I can draw upon a strength to push past all that. And I now that I couldn't do that without first accepting myself as I am, and to do that I first had to figure who I am. I know who I am now and I know that I am capable of putting my efforts into working towards accomplishing that which I want out of life.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:14 am

Welcome back Angel! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:36 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:14 am
It's good to be back! :geek:
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:36 am
Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:14 am
It's good to be back! :geek:
Welcome back Angel!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Good to see you back, Angel! That seat in the Blackmoor PbP is still open, if you're interested :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 am

Welcome back, Angel T. Please stay this time!

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni » Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 am

Greetings!

Long time lurker, both here and on the old WotC forums, when those still existed. I work on silly fan projects when I'm bored. I don't know if anyone remembered Tesar - it was from an old WotC thread called "How to fit every major Dungeons and Dragons Setting onto one Earth sized planet" - but I fiddled with that a bit for fun. Looked at some of his maps I had saved recently, and found that Kara-Tur wasn't on there. I was mostly interested in fleshing how campaign settings interact within that framework. For example, if you do the math on the Council of Wyrms calendar, you'd find that the current year is 72,000 ((whatever the era abbreviation was)). That coincides well with the timeline in the original Eberron book, which if I recall correctly puts the dragon-demon war at 80,000 years. I could see someone in the present day rounding 72,000 up to 80, so its pretty easy to link the founding of the Council to the Dragon war. Stuff like that. Also looked at redoing the map, with an eye for freeing up more ocean space and sticking some missing settings in. Ripping out the homebrew settings, replacing Argonessen with the Io's Blood Isles, moving Returned Aebir to Io's Blood and Ansalon. Would need to see if the Kara-Tur box set provided a smaller scale than the trail map though - otherwise Kara-Tur flat out does not fit, especially if you want to preserve the eastern supercontinent the map originally had.

I'm currently running a campaign where I've taken a number of first level modules from every edition but second, plus Red Hand of Doom and Thunder Rift, and thrown them into the backdrop of a civil war in the middle of nowhere. It's going pretty well so far, and as I build the world I'm on the look out for setting neutral published material to stick into and integrate with the world. I prefer quality, but if there's some good ideas somewhere I try to make it workAs far as the world building goes I'm trying to make something interesting out of generic parts, and the group's been pretty receptive so far so I guess its working well enough.

Otherwise, I guess I'm just interested in some RPGs. I'd consider myself a fan of a whole bunch of old D&D settings - Spelljammer, Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and more recently Nentir Vale. Four of those I don't think would surprise anyone - they're the most popular cult TSR settings. That last one comes with the caveat that I really, really dislike the name "Nerath" for the generic Empire that used to run things.

I'm not big on Forgotten Realms, though I am a fan of several video games set there. Some nostalgia towards Dragonlance, though I'll never reread the first six books for the sole reason that I like them and I want to continue to like them, and I have difficulty taking the way Dragonlance does good and evil seriously anymore. I guess as the last unprompted opinion I'll give in this post is that I think the Otherlands box set is a prime example of neat ideas being limited or actively harmed by how the setting treats those concepts. I've thought about redoing Chorane. That subsetting in general just has so much cool going for it, and it frustrates me how much I do not like the presentation.

Lessee, lessee. What else? Oh! I like maps. Maps are cool! I've spent too much time staring at and writing about maps. That interest carries over into RPGs too.

But I suppose I've offered enough unprompted opinions in what is supposed to be an introductory message. Thank you all for being the place where people talk about D&D/RPG fluff. I'll be around!

SinLeqiUnninni

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 am

SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 am
Greetings!
Howdy!
Lessee, lessee. What else? Oh! I like maps. Maps are cool! I've spent too much time staring at and writing about maps. That interest carries over into RPGs too.
You're in the right place for that! Many of us like maps. I'm currently recreating some maps in a style inspired by the Red Steel boxed set for an up coming AD&D game
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 am

SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Greetings!

Long time lurker, both here and on the old WotC forums, when those still existed. I work on silly fan projects when I'm bored. I don't know if anyone remembered Tesar - it was from an old WotC thread called "How to fit every major Dungeons and Dragons Setting onto one Earth sized planet" - but I fiddled with that a bit for fun. Looked at some of his maps I had saved recently, and found that Kara-Tur wasn't on there. I was mostly interested in fleshing how campaign settings interact within that framework.
Welcome... Tesar?!
Hell, yes! I loved that thread.. think it was the only non-Mystara one I ever read at that site! Would love to see your work.
I spent far too much time playing with mix-and-match settings a couple of years ago. These days I am not looking for an All-In-One, but think I might be able to get Mystara, Greyhawk, and Faerun together.. with maybe a couple of others in there..
SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
For example, if you do the math on the Council of Wyrms calendar, you'd find that the current year is 72,000 ((whatever the era abbreviation was)). That coincides well with the timeline in the original Eberron book, which if I recall correctly puts the dragon-demon war at 80,000 years. I could see someone in the present day rounding 72,000 up to 80, so its pretty easy to link the founding of the Council to the Dragon war. Stuff like that. Also looked at redoing the map, with an eye for freeing up more ocean space and sticking some missing settings in. Ripping out the homebrew settings, replacing Argonessen with the Io's Blood Isles, moving Returned Aebir to Io's Blood and Ansalon.
Someone else (maybe even someone here..) had made a Unified Timeline, but not sure if it had CoW and Eberron on it..
SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Would need to see if the Kara-Tur box set provided a smaller scale than the trail map though - otherwise Kara-Tur flat out does not fit, especially if you want to preserve the eastern supercontinent the map originally had.
SinLeqiUnninni
Kara-Tur was rescaled by TSR staff.. it shrunk by about 1/3.

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni » Fri May 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Morfie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 am
Welcome... Tesar?!
Hell, yes! I loved that thread.. think it was the only non-Mystara one I ever read at that site! Would love to see your work.
I spent far too much time playing with mix-and-match settings a couple of years ago. These days I am not looking for an All-In-One, but think I might be able to get Mystara, Greyhawk, and Faerun together.. with maybe a couple of others in there..
Thank you for you interest. I think most of my Tesar files are saved to an old laptop, but I'll see what I can do about finding them and put them up in Other Worlds or Homebrew. My ideal list would include those plus most of Eberron, the "Campaign Options" settings, the Tablelands in the middle of some unreachable desert. Nentir Vale is super small and can be thrown pretty much anywhere, so might as well put it in, and I'd try to include the FR substrings and maybe Dragonfist. Haven't actually looked at Dragonfist's scale, so I don't know. I guess I'm much closer to All-in-One for that kind go project, but its really cool there's other people here that have thought about it!
Morfie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 am
Kara-Tur was rescaled by TSR staff.. it shrunk by about 1/3.
Thanks for the information! That's really good to know - though I think including Kara-Tur still alters the shape of Tesar's "Old World" quite a bit. The area I had originally thought was Kara-Tur on the map is pretty small.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am

Evening all, I was pointed here from another thread and I figured, why not?

I came here from the Facebook group (wierd, I know) and I've been lurking for a while, but i finally decided I should post.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of playing D&D anymore (i've played it on and off for 20 years which makes me feel as old as it sounds.) but i still have a lot of love for the settings and talking about the mechanics of the older versions (5E is just not my cup of tea). Outside of that, i love Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Battletech, pretty much everything old FASA released, along with a lot of more modern games like PbtA, Chronicles of Darkness, WOIN, the list goes on. Mostly I like to lurk, but I like to think I will find a place to join the conversation from time to time.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:15 am

talsine wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am
Evening all, I was pointed here from another thread and I figured, why not?

I came here from the Facebook group (wierd, I know) and I've been lurking for a while, but i finally decided I should post.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of playing D&D anymore (i've played it on and off for 20 years which makes me feel as old as it sounds.) but i still have a lot of love for the settings and talking about the mechanics of the older versions (5E is just not my cup of tea). Outside of that, i love Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Battletech, pretty much everything old FASA released, along with a lot of more modern games like PbtA, Chronicles of Darkness, WOIN, the list goes on. Mostly I like to lurk, but I like to think I will find a place to join the conversation from time to time.
Another gamer who actually knows what WOIN is is always welcome, in my book :lol:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “The Philosopher's Stone”