Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
kachimbo
Goblin

Re: Warcraft RPG 5th Edition...

Post by kachimbo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi, man! Thank you again for this great job! My party have some doubts.

1 - When using a shot spell, the Hunter can apply the shot effect only to the first successful attack on the round? Or he can apply to more than one attack per round?

Core Document say this: “Strikes and Shots. These are abilities or spells that consume a bonus action to execute and grant an additional effect on the first successful attack (or a number of successful attacks, depending on the description). When using a strike effect, the use of a bonus action prevents using two-weapon fighting and use of off-hand natural attacks. Any character using a strike or shot effect can declare whether or not to use them for each attack action, or to withhold the effect until before the end of the duration. Shot spells are strike spells, but are restricted to ranged weapons.”

2 - The next one it's about the Brew Mastery feat.

It say this: "Drinking a brew is a bonus action, and grants one of the below benefits for eight hours, until they take a long rest, or until they make use of three uses of the effect (whichever comes first). After the drink is consumed, your Ki maximum is restored to normal (and can rest to regain the lost Ki)".

The ki maximum is restored after consume the brew, or when the duration of the benefits expires (after 8 hours, or three uses, or long rest)?

In advance, thanks again for the help!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 pm

1. Normally, shot spells apply to one attack. If the shot spell allows for multiple uses of a shot spell, they can be used in the same round.
For example, a hunter using the Shot Array (Searing Shot) with a 1st level spell. The shots applies to two hits. If the hunter has Extra Attack (at level 5), the hunter can use a bonus action to activate the shot array, and his action to make two attacks (applying the shot's effect with each).

2. The Ki maximum is instantaneously restored after consuming the brew.

Paradox_infamy
Kobold

Post by Paradox_infamy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 am

Hello, I was reading through the system and noticed that the Forsaken "Knowledge from Beyond" ability names the Plague Touch Rune, but that is the only reference to the rune in the book. What does it do?

Also, the system is amazing, it really captures the feeling of wow for me.
Thank you for your time.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:07 pm

@Paradox Infamy
Thanks for your kind words!
The Plague Touch Rune is basically the Plague Rune (under Runic Array),

Paradox_infamy
Kobold

Post by Paradox_infamy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 am

Thank you for the reply, That was what I had figured it was. The other question I have is what happens when you buff the spell level for it?

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:34 pm

If the Forsaken chooses this knowledge from beyond ability and has the rune active, they can release it and make a Runic Strike without spending any mana.

For example, a 10th level Forsaken heightens their Knowledge from Beyond ability to 3rd level. While the rune is active, they have the normal bonus, plus they can end (or Release) the rune for a 5d8 Runic Strike (2d8 base, +3d8 from a 3rd level spell) for no mana. If they didn't have this ability, the Runic Strike costs 6 mana.

Mindfreakgamer
Kobold

Post by Mindfreakgamer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:35 pm

Just out of curiosity are you thinking about making new races for the allied races? I'm loving what I've seen so far! Also my fiance is asking about making Murlocs as a race.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 pm

The monster manual is getting a huge update to go along with the newest version. There are rules for playing a naga, murloc, furbolg, satyr, and ogre (with subraces for single or double-heads).

Some allied races such as the highmountain tauren and mag'har orc are mostly regional varieties. Adding Lightforged is a decision I don't really understand, but we can make them a subrace and fold the broken (from the monster manual) into the core book eventually.
Nightborne and void elves are the ones most deserving a conversion, I believe. I think they can be given the Blood Elf treatment (as an option for night elves and high elves, respectively).

kachimbo
Goblin

Post by kachimbo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 am

Hy man! A min/max player from my group started playing with a Tinker and we had some doubts about the gadgets.

1- My player is using a necromantic crystal as energy source, only cause it's can recharge naturally and to avoid paying the cost of the charges. (min/max to the bone). The question is: when creating a tecnological device, he can choose anyone of the options to be it's energy source? Or some sources is restricted to some groups? Example: The necromatic energy source it's restricted to the Scourge.

2- How concentration spells works replicated as gadgets? It's limited to one at a time? Or it works like alchemical potions that require concentration (see bellow)?
About the potions that require concentration, the core says: "Imbibed potions do not require concentration (even if they originally required it), but one creature cannot benefit from more than one such demanding potion."

3- How many gadgets can be attached to one harness?

4 - When activing a gadget as bonus action with a remote, he can active another gadget with his action? Or it's restricted like spells?

5 - When creating a gadget that replicate a damage spell, it has to be built as a heavy gadget?

6- What about the gadgets sizes (light, medium, heavy), it's size has some impact on the rules (some specific rule to them), or is just flavour? Example: Heavy Gadgets need both hands free to use it, like heavy weapons?

7 - This question is the most powergaming of all: My player want to attach his gadgets on the body of his mecha and active it with the remote. He wants to do this to avoid having to draw one specific gadget as his "object interaction". By the rules you created, this is possible, or he has to point and target the gadget using his hands? He ask me to do that with hypnotic pattern gadget at first, but he want to do that with every possible gadget (if possible by the rules).

In advance, Thanks again for your support!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 am

kachimbo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 am
1- My player is using a necromantic crystal as energy source, only cause it's can recharge naturally and to avoid paying the cost of the charges. (min/max to the bone). The question is: when creating a tecnological device, he can choose anyone of the options to be it's energy source? Or some sources is restricted to some groups? Example: The necromatic energy source it's restricted to the Scourge.
By default, only the Scourge and the Burning Legion (and their respective servants) have the knowledge of how to use necromantic crystals. If your tinker has the knowledge of how to use such crystals, they must've gotten the knowledge from them.
Otherwise, the necromantic crystal may be flawed in its design (an imperfect replica), which might require the tinker to procure the knowledge by learning or infiltrating scourge engineers' ranks or stealing their research. That's a quest in of itself.
Also, since necromantic crystals involve causing pain to the trapped creature, another difficulty could arise in Paladins or good adventurers attempting to free the souls (just as Shamans can sense elemental crystals).
2- How concentration spells works replicated as gadgets? It's limited to one at a time? Or it works like alchemical potions that require concentration (see bellow)?
About the potions that require concentration, the core says: "Imbibed potions do not require concentration (even if they originally required it), but one creature cannot benefit from more than one such demanding potion."
It works as alchemical items that are not imbibed. See below (also added to the next version).
Concentration Spells. The duration of a gadget with a duration of concentration depends on its final concentration duration.
Up to 1 minute: 2d4 rounds
Up to 10 minutes: 2d4 x 10 rounds
Up to 1 hour: 2d4 x 10 minutes
And so on.
3- How many gadgets can be attached to one harness?
One gadget for each harness.
4 - When activing a gadget as bonus action with a remote, he can active another gadget with his action? Or it's restricted like spells?

He can activate another gadget or use the remote again (8 batteries, up to 8 devices).
5 - When creating a gadget that replicate a damage spell, it has to be built as a heavy gadget?
6- What about the gadgets sizes (light, medium, heavy), it's size has some impact on the rules (some specific rule to them), or is just flavour? Example: Heavy Gadgets need both hands free to use it, like heavy weapons?

I have not provided guidelines for how a gadget should be built like (heavy or light). These have been based on depictions of the items in the Warcraft universe (army knife and auto factory).
Usually, evocation, conjuration, and transmutation gadgets are heavy, abjuration gadgets are medium, and others are light. I might employ this classification based on schools in the future, but it's up to you (as the DM).
The rules related to them are how many hands they need to use (heavy two hands, light and medium one hand). If the gadget has a strike effect, then they act as a weapon of that size (buzz saw acts as a shortsword, therefore is a light weapon). Of course, there is also the difference in weight.
7 - This question is the most powergaming of all: My player want to attach his gadgets on the body of his mecha and active it with the remote. He wants to do this to avoid having to draw one specific gadget as his "object interaction". By the rules you created, this is possible, or he has to point and target the gadget using his hands? He ask me to do that with hypnotic pattern gadget at first, but he want to do that with every possible gadget (if possible by the rules).
Got to love those tinkers.

It is possible for your tinker player to have multiple gadgets bonded with multiple remotes atop their mech.
Say your tinker is using the gnomish combat armor mecha, and has a gnomish mind remote and rocket launcher gadgets bonded to a remote on the dashboard. The tinker can use their bonus action to activate one of the two by pressing the remote with their bonus action, and another with their normal action (as interaction).
It's possible, but the tinker has several things to consider when going all-out.
1. Fuel and resources (in this case, it'll be fuel for the rocket launcher, mind remote, and the rocket that is launched)
2. Malfunction rolls (for rocket launcher, mind remote, rocket, and each remote use)
3. Possibility of stealing or damaging the gadgets (since it must be external to the body of the mecha)
4. Cost of crafting the devices
5. Total weight. Gadgets, as normal for all kinds of objects, count against a mech's carrying capacity (as a creature with a Strength score). Heavy gadgets can weigh down a mecha, and a mecha doesn't have the benefit of Packrat the Tinker has.

I have beforehand considered adding a maximum limit to mechs carrying gadgets, but decided to leave it open, since the other restrictions of the Engineering rules can possibly make exploitation difficult.
Your tinker may make me revise my position ^_^

kachimbo
Goblin

Post by kachimbo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 am

Hey man! Thanks for your answers. I brought you some more questions today.

1- You answered in the post above that only one device can be attached in a single harness, but in the core document says this: "One can not wear both harness and armor heavier than light, but can wear multiple gadgets on one harness." Which one is correct?

2- I’m having problems on how many resource nodes I should spread through the game. My players are using their downtime to collect CP, but I'm afraid they're collecting too much CP. I'm scared because 1 CP is roughly 25 PO (they're collecting around 1,040 CP per month, that's roughly 26.000 PO, oh Lord, this is a problem). How many resources nodes do you spread in your games? Do you have any advice on how many resource nodes I should spread for them to collect?

3 – About finding a node, is there any more objective rule in the core document?. For example, the player must succed on a Skill Check against a CD X to find a minor node, CD Y to find moderate nodes and CD Z to find major nodes. What do you think about roll a d100%?
In the core document just says this: "Finding a resource node is usually easy and within plain sight, such as grove with uncommon herbs or with special minerals. If they are not recognized, searching for them (such as via prospecting) takes a day for each 1 mile square.

4 - How long does a resource node need to replenish? (minor, moderate and major).

5 - My tinker is piloting a Mecha. He is asking if he should build a shield spell gadget for him (if he is attacked) and another shield gadget for his Mecha (if the mecha is attacked), or only one shield gadget for both?

In advance, thanks again for the help!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm

@Harness: It's one harness for one device. The text is somewhat inaccurate on my part, as it describes that such devices must be worn 'as a harness', implying one device, before adding 'multiple gadgets on one harness'.
Anyway, it's one harness = one device. You can change the device with some time to realign it. I'd give it 3 rounds (and reflect that in the next version).

@Nodes: Certainly! A good sample node is a mana fountain, just like in Warcraft III. Mana fountains can be used for infusion crafting points, which is what the High Elves of Quel'thalas did to make several artifacts.
Minor nodes would be small crystallizations of mana, which can be used once, with replenishment being rare (or maybe impossible).
Moderate nodes would be a normal mana fountain. A good guideline is one for each region.
For northern Eastern Kingdoms, then, one for Alterac Mountains (in a cave or high peak), one for Eastern Plaguelands/Undercity (near the madness-inducing Tirisfal Glades), one in Western Plaguelands (near a high elven enclave), one in Arathi Highlands (near where the ogres gather to make more two-headed ogres), one in Southshore to Gilneas (anywhere appropriate, maybe in Shadowfang Keep in Silverpine Forest), and that's it until Thandol Span. Why doesn't Quel'thalas have one? Because they have a--
Major node includes the Sunwell and now-exhausted Well of Eternity. There is exactly one (or very rarely two) in the setting, held as powerful weapons by similarly powerful nations.
If we apply it to engineering (for your ambitious tinker), we can do the same, making minor nodes small workshops or goblin waste dumps, moderate being powerful accomplished companies, and major being the biggest, baddest, most radioactive goblin waste dump (somewhere off the shore of Kezan).

@Finding Nodes: The issue isn't usually finding nodes; a mana fountain is a mana fountain. It's usually more of an issue to secure it, as these may be taken over by powerful states. No way will Quel'thalas ever allow an outsider (or even an elf who is not high in government) to come near the Sunwell without a fight. You can, however, always restrict or hide access to these nodes, or place them in the hand of NPCs. Said NPCs may or may not be able to use the nodes, but this will allow you to restrict access, even if the NPCs allow partial access.
If you can give me more details on what you used as nodes, I can provide more help.

@Replenishing Nodes: Minor usually never replenish (unless you think they should, and then usually they replenish to a maximum amount of times). Moderate and Major replenish every month (though exhaustive use may cause it to collapse, such as an overworked mine).

@Shield Spell and Targeting Pilots: Spells that target a pilot in the mecha act as if they and the mecha are one creature. That means it'll take one device for both (since they already share damage taken to a degree).

Update: With the release of Kingdoms, Strongholds, and War, I will continue updating WoW5eRPG. The next update will not be very soon, but development continues.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 am

Update (3.0)
Version 3.0 of the WoW5eRPG is online in downloadable PDF (though without the formatting wizardry of 2.4).
The Monster Manual (also updated to 3.0 rules) is also uploaded.
The changelogs of each file document the extensive developments, bugfixes, rebalances, and concepts that are new. It's a big one.

Direct link (downloadable Core document)
Direct link (downloadable Monster Manual)

kachimbo
Goblin

Post by kachimbo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 am

Hey man! it's me again ! XD. I brought you some more questions today.

1- Can you explain us a little about Soul Shards.

A) Core says: "By default, you have 2 soul shards, and cannot have more shards than your Warlock level. They fade at the end of one hour or after a short rest.". He has 2 permanent soul shards?

B) Core Says: "You gain one soul shards by reducing living creatures to 0 hit points or less with your spells or melee attacks, or if any creature is killed by one of your demon summons.". All creatures gives soul shard, even those with CR 0, like little snakes, rats, etc?

C) About Soul Vault, core says: "...and may restore your soul shard pool to full at least once at any given hour...". What this means?

2 – About energy sources, the tinker can choose wich one they will use on device creation?. My tinker is now using mechanical source for all his gadgets, cause he can recharge them whitout paying the Money. He can do this that way? Like the necromantic crystals, we’re thinking this is a problem too, he’s abusing a little from spells without paying any resource. The other rules aplly as normal, like Cooldown time, reduced time for concetration spells, mallfunction chance and one hour to recharge one charge. You think that this things can prevent an abuse per part of the player?

3- The last one is about shot spells, particularly about the additional damage potential of searing shot.

First, I really liked the idea to give the ranger more DPR sources. The DPR of the PHB’s ranger is shit when compared to DPR from fighters and paladins. That said, let's get into the point.

About the shots you answered me this: “Normally, shot spells apply to one attack. If the shot spell allows for multiple uses of a shot spell, they can be used in the same round.
For example, a hunter using the Shot Array (Searing Shot) with a 1st level spell. The shots applies to two hits. If the hunter has Extra Attack (at level 5), the hunter can use a bonus action to activate the shot array, and his action to make two attacks (applying the shot's effect with each).”

Don't you think that the additional damage provided by one shot spell (searing shot) it's a little bit high? We're (my players and I) thinking that the additional damage potential of this shot is a little bit high. The hunter can sustain a lot of aditional Damage with only one spell slot expended with searing shot, cause he can aplly this damage to more than one attack per round, if he has extra atacks, up to a maximum of 2 atacks per spell level before the spell ends. Things get even worse when we put in more attacks per round with Action Surge (Multiclass with Fighter), Haste, etc. The damage potenctial is even higher with multiclass like Hunter/Rogue/Fighter.

Another problem arises when we compare the additional damage provided by the searing shot with the damage provided by one crusader strike. The hunter can get more damage from "one" spell slot expended with searing shot than the paladin can get with "one" spell slot expended with crusader strike (divine smite).

All this is possible because of the nature of shot spells. You can apply searing shot to all your attacks per round to a maximum of 2 shots per spell level.

An option would be to reduce the amount of shots to only 2 shots per spell, not 2 shots per spell level. But first we want to know your opinion, as designer of this conversion, about this “issue”and if you think this is a issue.

If you want more detailed information or math about this; or the multiclass my players are using on our games, I can post below.

PS:We're using in our games every class option from PHB, Xanathar and Sword Coast too.

In advance, Thanks!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:56 am

Hi again.
1- Can you explain us a little about Soul Shards.
Certainly.
1. The text means that this is the maximum you start out with (since you gain the ability at level 2). The next patch changes the text to the errata below.
2. Such creatures' souls would not qualify, since the creature itself is too insignificant as a threat to grant a benefit for a warlock's fel magic. The errata also answers the question.
3. Soul Vault is revised to stay consistent, as the second errata below.

Errata
Soul Shards
You gain one soul shard by reducing living creatures to 0 hit points or less with your spells or melee attacks, or if any creature is killed by one of your demon summons. This does not trap the souls of the creatures killed. You can have a maximum number of soul shards equal to your Warlock level. Soul shards fades at a rate of one per hour (or 1 per short rest) if not used. The creature must be a qualifying threat to you (such as by having a Challenge comparable with your level, or if it is able to reliably or consistently harm you). [/quote]

Errata
Soul Vault
When you reach 20th level, you may gain two soul shards instead of one per every enemy reduced to 0 hit points as a result of your spells.
Also, you may stow your grimoire into the pocket realm (known as the soul vault) of your choosing by using 3 soul shards, and can draw it out using 1 soul shard. You do not need to physically possess the grimoire at that time, but must be within 100 feet of it, and spend 1 action to banish it into the realm or draw it back again.
Only you can access the pocket realm, unless you choose a realm that multiple creatures can enter (in which case, you can designate the grimoire to appear at any point you previously conducted a 1-hour ritual to attune the book to the place).
2 – About energy sources, the tinker can choose wich one they will use on device creation?. My tinker is now using mechanical source for all his gadgets, cause he can recharge them whitout paying the Money. He can do this that way? Like the necromantic crystals, we’re thinking this is a problem too, he’s abusing a little from spells without paying any resource. The other rules aplly as normal, like Cooldown time, reduced time for concetration spells, mallfunction chance and one hour to recharge one charge. You think that this things can prevent an abuse per part of the player?
If the player is making new custom devices (and not using the ones in the Core document), the energy sources must be agreed upon between the player and DM, usually when the blueprint or schematic is created. The player should propose this out of game time for approval in this case, and not catch the DM off-guard.
So, usually it would make sense if he uses mechanical power for a firearm (becoming a type of crossbow) or explosive (becoming a weird explosion of gears and clockwork), but not if he is making a mana burn gadget.
Of course, as a new device, the DM can treat this as the creation of a new magic item, so they can discuss the strength of the device (and possibly alter it).
Does that help?
3- The last one is about shot spells, particularly about the additional damage potential of searing shot.
All this is possible because of the nature of shot spells. You can apply searing shot to all your attacks per round to a maximum of 2 shots per spell level.
If you want more detailed information or math about this; or the multiclass my players are using on our games, I can post below.
Of course. I'd like to see the math on it so I can compare it with DPR expectations before I alter anything, however.

Eviscerus
Kobold

Post by Eviscerus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 pm

just a quick question:

under the shout warrior talent it says:
Rallying. One target within range is affected as if you cast the Bravery spell. Maintaining the shout maintains the spell.

I'm assuming by Bravery you actually mean the Heroism spell?

Thanks, and love this conversion!

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 am

Correct.

Here is the text after errata.
o Rallying. One target within range is affected as if you cast the Heroism spell (treat your Stamina modifier as the relevant spellcasting modifier). Maintaining the shout maintains the spell.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 am

Are the documents in the Drive Folder updated with this errata?

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 am

I see. I'll wait for that revision.

I have another question: in which point of the timeline is located your adaptation? I ask, because the info is confusing. I mean, for instance the racial entry about Blood Elves mentions their magic adiction, yet we can use worgen. If we go by WoW, the Blood Elves were cured of their adicction (well, "cured", as the Sunwell was repaired after the defeat of Kil'jaeden in Burning Crusade) a year before the worgen joined the Alliance...

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 am

The project's in-world lore does not assume dungeons were resolved in canonal order--so that the heroes can resolve them instead, so adjustment is required when choosing a timeline to start the game.

In your specific case, while Worgen did not join the Alliance until post-Wrath in the game, there were still Worgen around--the race can be used for monsters that roam Silverpine, or humans who escaped Gilneas.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:46 pm

I see. Then, I guess would be a good idea to include variant rules for the Blood elves. To cover the periods pre and post WotLK.

Also, there are plans to introduce the new races from BfA? I mean, the nightborne, Void elves and the Zandalari trolls (As I don't think Kul Tiran humans would need variant rules in 5e)

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Nightborne and Void elves could possibly be added, yes.
At this stage, we're seeing what is lacking or has issues to add, since it seems the conversion covered its original aims.

Arrius Nideal
Ogre

Post by Arrius Nideal » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 am

Crafting-based classes such as the alchemist and tinker have several ways to get the funding for their abilities. I'd like some opinions on whether this functions as good in my mind as it does on the table. These are ranked in efficiency:
1. Downtime: You can use downtime to work or begin a company (as per the kingdoms, strongholds, and war rules) and rack in a lot of cash for funding
2. Gathering: You can use downtime to gather materials from nodes which replenish after some time.
3. Disassembling: You can disassemble devices and gain some wealth from them, which you can then spend on your own devices.

Are these options clear and useable in-game for you tinkers and alchemists out there, or are they too much (or require GM aid, such as downtime handed out)?

Return to “World of Warcraft”