How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:35 am

Over in the Gamma World Player's Handbook (d20) on DNDClassics! topic, Dragonhelm mentioned that the Gamma World Player's Handbook includes rules for 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons.

How much compatibility does this book, and the rest of that edition of Gamma World have with the standard D&D rules?

Could someone used to running fantasy games run Gamma World as a slightly unusual fantasy world using this book (and maybe others)?

Is there much material in this book that could be raided and used in a conventional fantasy campaign?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: How well do the 3.5 Gamma World rules work?

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 am

Hmm, I figure out where my copy is and let you know. It's stored away somewhere. Give me a couple of days.

EDIT: It's likely going to take longer to get back to you. I'm not sure where my books are at and I haven't felt like digging for them.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm

How did I not reply to this long ago? This Gamma World edition is based on d20 modern not D&D 3.5. Although they do have suggestions for using it with 3.5 in one of the books. I found the initial release of this edition disappointing. They didn't have enough mutations. Over time they greatly improved that. Every monster in the monster book which is intelligent is given a level adjustment which is awesome.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am

dulsi wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm
How did I not reply to this long ago? This Gamma World edition is based on d20 modern not D&D 3.5.
That actually makes more sense.

I think it would be easier to add in rules for ray guns and stuff that way.

Is it possible to roll up characters for Gamma World along with the Modern SRD? (One of my favourite parts of 3rd Edition was that when I visited my friends and didn't have D&D books with me, and they suggested we play D&D, I could use the (fantasy) SRD to knock up a PC.) If everyone has to crowd around one book, things drag a bit.
dulsi wrote:
Although they do have suggestions for using it with 3.5 in one of the books.
Was that about importing D&D monsters into the d20 Modern ruleset?

Or was it about allowing D&D users to run games with Gamma World as a campaign setting?
dulsi wrote:
I found the initial release of this edition disappointing. They didn't have enough mutations. Over time they greatly improved that.
Are the mutations spread over multiple books?

Would it be worth someone making an index of mutations and where to find them?
dulsi wrote:
Every monster in the monster book which is intelligent is given a level adjustment which is awesome.
Nice.

Were there any playable monsters in earlier editions of Gamma World or was that a new thing?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am
Is it possible to roll up characters for Gamma World along with the Modern SRD?
Certainly,
Big Mac wrote:

Or was it about allowing D&D users to run games with Gamma World as a campaign setting?
No. This was about using D&D 3.5 rules instead of the d20 modern rules. They had different classes instead of Strong Hero, etc.
Big Mac wrote:
Are the mutations spread over multiple books?

Would it be worth someone making an index of mutations and where to find them?
Mutations are in every book. Yeah an index of mutations would probably be useful.
Big Mac wrote:
Were there any playable monsters in earlier editions of Gamma World or was that a new thing?
Not officially, You could recreate most creatures with mutations. In 3rd edition, a dragon magazine article included some monsters for random character generation.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 pm

dulsi wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:02 pm
Big Mac wrote:

No. This was about using D&D 3.5 rules instead of the d20 modern rules. They had different classes instead of Strong Hero, etc.
I think I might prefer that. I never liked the names of classes in d20 Modern.

Return to “Gamma World”