Cubicle7 to publish Middle-earth D20/5E

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.

Cubicle7 to publish Middle-earth D20/5E

Postby Falconer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Falconer
Troll

Re: Cubicle7 to publish Middle-earth D20/5E

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:18 am

I was just coming here to post a link to their D&D comes to Middle-earth story.

I didn't see that coming!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Falconer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:14 pm

It’s surely legit. Unless they screwed up something legally and it gets shut down. Still no word of whether it’s a special license from WotC or if they plan to use the OGL. Either way, it’s basically a no-brainer. Doubtless this will profit them 1000% compared to TOR sales.

I probably still won’t buy it, because it sounds like it will follow many or most of the design philosophies apparent in the TOR releases, which means the MERP line is still the most usable for conversion to AD&D.
Falconer
Troll

Postby agathokles » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:44 pm

It seems rather difficult to port many (or even a few) of the design philosophies of TOR to D&D... I'd expect this version to be much more similar to MERP in style (i.e., with player wizards blasting enemies with fireballs and the like).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Falconer wrote:http://cubicle7.co.uk/dd-comes-to-middle-earth/

How about that…

Wow, that is very cool news! :cool: :)

I think it makes sense too, strategy-wise. This way they could be able to draw more people into checking out the TOR system and expand their fanbase into the D&D fanbase.

Will they still be supporting TOR? How much 5th Ed material can we expect?

agathokles wrote:It seems rather difficult to port many (or even a few) of the design philosophies of TOR to D&D... I'd expect this version to be much more similar to MERP in style (i.e., with player wizards blasting enemies with fireballs and the like).

Some of TOR's ideas seemed a bit radical to me. I think it should be possible to do this in a good way though. Some ideas on how to run D&D in Middle Earth while retaining the Middle Earth atmosphere can be found here.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 am

Hell to the yes!!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:16 am

Dos anyone have these? If you do, what are your thoughts on them?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby thorr-kan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Dos anyone have these? If you do, what are your thoughts on them?

I have them. And all the TOR pdfs. I have not played and am not likely to; too many games, too little time.

But they are pretty, oh so pretty. They make good reading material. I really like them.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby agathokles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

Same here. I don't run games in the Middle Earth (other DMs in my group already cover that ground) , but the game looks and reads very nice.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby oPolden » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I've been skimming through some of them - the conversion is pretty solid overall, and it looks like their whole plan with it is to just take the One Ring books and just convert the same content to be run using 5E instead? So it looks like from here on, after they're done with the content that is already out there that they're re-releasing from 5E, new things will essentially be two versions of the same material.

Been thinking of running something entirely new, and Adventures in Middle Earth looks like a really good pick!
oPolden
Goblin

Postby Falconer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm

I got a chance to look at the Loremaster’s Guide. What’s disappointing to me is that, given they are drawing on their TOR material, these initial books could not be a little more encyclopedic. Instead, they are trickling out information the same way they did with TOR (start with Lake Town and Mirkwood, and slowly expand outwards; only six or so species of creatures/monsters provided initially…). I think in a decade or two they will have something really solid on their hands, especially if they can start publishing toolbox-style compilations, but, in the meantime I don’t care to be spoonfed like this.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Falconer wrote:I got a chance to look at the Loremaster’s Guide. What’s disappointing to me is that, given they are drawing on their TOR material, these initial books could not be a little more encyclopedic. Instead, they are trickling out information the same way they did with TOR (start with Lake Town and Mirkwood, and slowly expand outwards; only six or so species of creatures/monsters provided initially…). I think in a decade or two they will have something really solid on their hands, especially if they can start publishing toolbox-style compilations, but, in the meantime I don’t care to be spoonfed like this.

Ahh, that is annoying.

Does this game have classes similar to regular D&D?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Yes, they are (with D&D equivalents in parentheses): Scholar (Cleric/Wizard), Slayer (Barbarian), Treasure Hunter (Rogue), Wanderer (Ranger), Warden (Bard), Warrior (Fighter). Some classes are very changed and some are basically just reskinned from 5e.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Middle-earth