Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

Postby Hugin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:58 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:...and I know next to nothing about these kinds of things. :oops:

I don't understand any of that stuff either. I just tried it and hoped for the best! Here's hoping it works for you too!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby agathokles » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Not terribly likely, it's a Windows executable.
GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Hugin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 am

This ended up being a double post of the Werebat from the previous page (in my settings anyway).

So... nothing to see here. Move along. Hey, is that a shark!?!...
Last edited by Hugin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 am

WERESHARK
Medium humanoid (human, shapechanger), chaotic neutral
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 11 in humanoid form, 12 (natural armor) in shark or hybrid form
Hit Points 60 (8d8 + 24)
Speed 10 ft., swim 40 ft.

Skills Stealth +3, Perception +3
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered
Senses blindsight 30 ft. (shark form only) , passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Aquan, (can't speak in shark form)
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Shapechanger. The wereshark can use its action to polymorph into a shark-humanoid hybrid or into a Large hunter shark, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its size and AC, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Blood Frenzy. (Shark Form Only) The wereshark has advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn't have all its hit points.

Amphibious. (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only) The wereshark can breath air and water.

Water Breathing. (Shark Form Only) The wereshark can breath only underwater.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). The wereshark makes two attacks, only one of which can be a bite.

Trident (Humanoid of Hybrid Form Only). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, or 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Bite (Shark or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with wereshark lycanthropy.

Last edited by Hugin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:32 am

Sorry for the slow addition of 'new' conversions lately. I've been spending most of my free time working on catching up with my previously done conversions using the ever-so-nice statblock image creator.

Naturally ( :roll: ), I'm also copying them all over into my most up-to-date worksheet as I go (it's grown and evolved over the past year and a half of working on these). And of course, after all the experience I now have doing these, I'm reviewing each one as I go to see if it can be improved. Many of them are altered, although it is usually just slight tweaks to wording and such.

Despite all of that however, I have managed to post up to the beginning of "H" with the updated conversion and statblock image, and will continue to go through them and catch up.

Please let me know if you find any spelling mistakes or errors so I can correct them. Thanks. :ugeek:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Seethyr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 am

These are really done so well. Working with monster creation for so long now, I know all the little mathematical difficulties you come across and the second guessing yourself on CR and such. This has got to be consuming a ton of time!
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks so much for the compliment! Nothing will keep things slipping along better than buttering me up! :D

I have created an excel sheet to handle the math, organize everything, and even format it for posting here. I just have to enter the numbers and the text. So that part isn't too bad, though it does still take some time, obviously. In fact, I spent most of this past weekend's free time playing around working hard on the conversions.

My biggest effort is to create a conversion that embodies the original monster but is entirely 5E in appearance. So for example, I try as best as I can to utilize existing 5E elements before resorting to creating something new (and I'm actually extremely surprised at how often I *can* find something in 5E that suits very well).

Even when it comes to second guessing myself, and that certainly happens a fair bit, it is mostly in regards to design than it is math or CR. (Properly reflecting an ability or trait as a hp, AC, or damage modifier for CR purposes is perhaps what I worry about the most - to get it right and to not forget about it at all!) And I'm actually quite thankful about that since I enjoy playing around with the design more than the math.

Now that I've been doing these for quite a while, I've developed a system and procedure, and that helps tremendously.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm

As I get closer to the NPCs and monsters portions of my own conversion I’m increasingly daunted by the task ahead. Looks like you have developed an excel-lent tool that could really help out others who are doing conversions. Care to share? Or is it not really designed for easy use by others?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 am

Absolutely :!: If anybody would like a copy of the excel file I use just send me an email or PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

It should be mostly user friendly but keep in mind that I didn't create it to be publicly distributed and used, except among friends of course (a.k.a. Piazza members! ;) ). So I'd prefer that people don't distribute it around themselves. But if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to help you out as much as I can.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 am

WERESEAL
Medium humanoid (human, shapechanger), neutral evil
Armour Class 10 in humanoid form, 11 (natural armor) in seal or hybrid form
Hit Points 82 (11d8 + 33)
Speed 20 ft., swim 40 ft.

Saving Throws Con +5
Skills Intimidation +2
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered
Senses darkvision 60 ft. (seal form only) , passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Deep Speech, (can't speak in shark form)
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Shapechanger. The wereseal can use its action to polymorph into a seal-humanoid hybrid or into a seal, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its AC, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). The wereseal makes two attacks, only one of which can be a bite.

Greatclub (Humanoid or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Bite (Seal or Hybrid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with wereseal lycanthropy.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:07 am

DEVIL SWINE
Medium humanoid (human, shapeshifter), chaotic evil
Armour Class 9 in humanoid form, 10 (natural armor) in swine form
Hit Points 110 (13d8 + 52)
Speed 30 ft.

Saving Throws Con +7, Cha +3
Skills Deception +3, Intimidation +3
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Common, any one language, (can't speak in swine form)
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Shapechanger. During the night, after the sun sets and before it rises, the devil swine can use its action to polymorph into a large swine, or back into its true form, which is an extremely obese humanoid. Unlike most other lycanthropes, it does not possess a hybrid form. Its statistics, other than its AC, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The devil swine makes two attacks.

Quarterstaff (Humanoid Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage, or 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage if used with two hands.

Tusk (Swine Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with devil swine lycanthropy.

Charm. The devil swine targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see the devil swine, the target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be magically charmed by the devil swine. The charmed targets regards the devil swine as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn't under the devil swine's control, it takes the devil swine's request or actions in the most favorable way it can.
Each time the devil swine or its companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the devil swine is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect. The devil swine may have a maximum of three charmed targets at one time.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:54 am

MALFERA
Large monstrosity, chaotic evil
Armour Class 16 (natural armour)
Hit Points 104 (11d10 + 44)
Speed 20 ft.

Saving Throws Con +7, Cha +5
Skills Intimidation +5
Damage Resistances poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities acid
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses blindsight 90 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages Nightmare, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The malfera makes one claw attack. If the attack hits, it makes a second claw attack against the same target.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 10 (1d12 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If two claw attacks are successful against the same target during the same round, the target is grappled (escape DC 15), and the malfera uses its Ensnare on it.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage. The target must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 17 (5d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target is also poisoned.

Ensnare. The malfera draws a grappled creature in to its acid-coated, tentacled, chest and entraps it. The entrapped target is retrained and it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the start of each of the malfera's turns or take 14 (4d6) acid damage. If the malfera moves, the entrapped target moves with it. The malfera can have only one creature entrapped at a time.

REACTIONS
Bite. If the malfera's first claw attack during its turn is unsuccessful, the malfera makes one bite attack.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 pm

MANSCORPION WARRIOR
Large monstrosity, neutral evil
Armour Class 17 (natural armour)
Hit Points 82 (11d10 + 22)
Speed 40 ft.

Saving Throws Dex +6
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Manscorpion
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The manscorpion makes two attacks, only one of which can be a sting.

Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft.,
Hit: 14 (2d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 150/600 ft.,
Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage.

Sting. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 9 (1d12 + 3) piercing damage and the target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target is paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the paralysis effect on itself on a success.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 pm

MANSCORPION CLERIC
Large monstrosity, neutral evil
Armour Class 17 (natural armour)
Hit Points 155 (17d10 + 51 + 11 from heroes' feast)
Speed 40 ft.

Saving Throws Dex +7, Wis +7, Cha +5
Skills Religion +5, Perception +7
Senses passive Perception 17
Languages Manscorpion
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)

Divine Eminence. As a bonus action, the manscorpion can expend a spell slot to cause its melee weapon attacks to magically deal an extra 10 (3d6) radiant damage to a target on a hit. This benefit lasts until the end of the turn. If the manscorpion expends a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each level above 1st.

Spellcasting. The manscorpion cleric is a 12th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The manscorpion has the following cleric spells prepared.

Cantrips (at will): guidance, light, resistance, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
1st level (4 slots): bless, create or destroy water, cure wounds, purify food and drink
2nd level (3 slots): augury, prayer of healing, spiritual weapon
3rd level (3 slots): create food and water, dispel magic, glyph of warding*
4th level (3 slots): divination, freedom of movement
5th level (2 slots): flame strike, scrying
6th level (1 slot): heroes' feast*
*The manscorpion casts these spells before combat.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The manscorpion makes two attacks, only one of which can be a sting.

Quarterstaff (2H). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

Sting. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 10 (1d12 + 4) piercing damage, , and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 33 (6d10) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target is paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the paralysis effect on itself on a success.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Manscorpions made their way into AD&D too.
In the Council of Wryms Setting times of man scorpions and thrikreen are at war in the deserts. (Card 9 of the boxed set).
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 am

Ya, I was pretty sure they made it in other D&D products as well, although I don't have access to them. I never got into AD&D even though I did get a couple books for inspiration for my Basic D&D games in the Known World/Mystara.

The environments that they are portrayed as living in - harsh and dry - was an inspiration for some of the spells the cleric has prepared, and one of the reasons they'd be so revered by the other manscorpions.

By the way, how's the file working for you? Any issues with it?
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Spent the weekend polishing my first DMs Guild publication.

Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Nice! and congratulations!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Hugin wrote:Nice! and congratulations!

When my publisher (the same guys who did Papers & Paychecks) uploads it I'll be sure to let folks here know.

Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

MANTA RAY
Large beast, unaligned
Armour Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 60 (8d10 + 16)
Speed swim 30 ft.

Skills Stealth +2
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages -----
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Water Breathing. The manta ray can breath only under water.

Ocean Floor Camouflage. The manta ray has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide while on the ocean floor.

ACTIONS

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 6 (1d10 + 1) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target is also paralyzed for 5 minutes.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 pm

MANTA RAY, GIANT
Gargantuan beast, unaligned
Armour Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 159 (11d20 + 44)
Speed swim 40 ft.

Skills Stealth +1
Senses darkvision 90 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages -----
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)

Water Breathing. The manta ray can breath only under water.

Ocean Floor Camouflage. The manta ray has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide while lying on the ocean floor.

Charge. If the manta ray moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a ram attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be stunned. The stunned creature may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns to end the effect on it.

ACTIONS
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft.,
Hit: 18 (2d12 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 12 (3d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target is also paralyzed for 5 minutes.

Ram. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:03 am

A lot of this stuff is based on real-world animals and therefore good for most published settings (Darksun is an exception that springs to mind). Have you posted in the 5e rules forum here?

The Giant manta ray is thematically appropriate for Council of Wryms where giant monsters abound and some PCs breathe water.

Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Coronoides wrote:A lot of this stuff is based on real-world animals and therefore good for most published settings (Darksun is an exception that springs to mind).

Absolutely. When I was first thinking about doing this project, I debated with myself about whether to do this is the Mystara forum (since it was converting from a Known World/Msytara product), or post it here in the 5E forum (because the monsters are usable in just about any 5E game). Obviously I decided to go with the 5E forum in the hopes of spreading its use farther.

Have you posted in the 5e rules forum here?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this question. This thread is in the 5E forum here.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Previous

Return to D&D 5th Edition