The Feywood - Mystara's Plane of Fairie (with Map)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

The Feywood - Mystara's Plane of Fairie (with Map)

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Click to Enlarge. Thanks to Ripvanwormer for suggesting some of the locations and names of this map in other Planes threads.

-Havard

The Planes of Mystara: Plane of Fire, Plane of Air, Plane of Earth, Plane of Water, The Inner Planes, The Outer PlanesThe Plane of FairieLimbo

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Feywood - Mystara's Plane of Fairie (with Map)

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:00 am

Another great map!

I don't know Mystara, but this map looks like it might sit over Karameikos and the surrounding Gazeteer areas.

Are you (or someone else) going to have to do another map for "Hollow Feywood" at some point?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 am

Big Mac wrote:Another great map!

I don't know Mystara, but this map looks like it might sit over Karameikos and the surrounding Gazeteer areas.
Thanks! Yes, you are correct. That area is often referred to as the Known World. This map corresponds mostly to that area, though I have expanded it somewhat to the North and West.
Are you (or someone else) going to have to do another map for "Hollow Feywood" at some point?
The idea of other planes having Hollow World equivalents of their own is something that Ripvanwormer brought up just yesterday. Although I do think the idea is fascinating, the problem with Mystara's Hollow World is that it is cut off from any access to the planes because of the Spell of Preservation.

My main reason for doing the maps in the style that I am using is because I wanted to track known portals and corresponding locations between Mystara and the planes. I have been focusing on the Known World region because that is typically where we have the most information about such details. Also, since most campaigns are set there, this is where planar adventurers will most likely end up.

Not everyone likes the idea of the planes having the same (or similar) geography as Mystara. My response is actually that the labels on the map are more interesting than the coastlines. Anyone should be able to change the coastlines to fit their campaigns, but they should consider keeping many of the labels.

In this map, I have used some possibly controversial labels:
1) Berlota's Realm and Caer Ambryel are locations from M3. The realm described in that module is called the Green Realm. It is specifically said to be a Pocket Dimension (although that term does not exist in the BECMI cosmology, so it could mean anything). I like integrating the Green Realm into the Feywood though since it give us specific place names and specific rulers that we can use. Malusites and Swan Mays (not found elsewhere in BECMI) are also from that module.
2) The Kingdom of Ardulla (to the East) is from the novel Summerhill Hounds. Although it carried the First Quest label, that novel requires some tweaking to be adapted to the Isle of Dawn region of Mystara. Looking at my notes, Ardulla is actually one of seven Fey Cities rather than a Kingdom. Will have to change that in the next update.
3) Mab, Elphame and Castle Midsummernight are borrowed from Folklore and Shakespeare which seemed very much in line with PC1.
4) World Mountain Gate and Yak Brother Camp suggest Ethengar's Spirit World is the same as the Feywood. Controversial?
5) Other locations were created by me.

Future updates:
1) Gates to the Norse Planes (Alfheim, Vanirheim) must be added to the Northern Reaches region.
2) Dragontree and Stalkbow Magic Points must be added. Stalkbow is linked to the Woodimps.
3) Atruaghin Spirit World locations should be added. Not sure which?
4) Great Garden label added to Ylaruam region. linked to Al-Kalim's dream.

Some additional thoughts on the Feywood:
I see the Feywood as a kind of Elemental Plane, although instead of an element, everything here is illusion. Illusion magic is extremely powerful in the Feywood as illusions cannot be disbelieved. Stats for Elemental Rulers and Elemasters can be used to model extremely powerful Fey Rulers on their Home Plane.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Great map, as the previous ones!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Awesome map, Havard!
Havard wrote:1) Berlota's Realm and Caer Ambryel are locations from M3. The realm described in that module is called the Green Realm. It is specifically said to be a Pocket Dimension (although that term does not exist in the BECMI cosmology, so it could mean anything).
The DM's Guide in the Immortal Set (page 2) says that any plane other than the Astral, Ethereal, or Prime is a "pocket universe." M3 also uses the term pocket universe (page 2) as well as pocket dimension.
I like integrating the Green Realm into the Feywood though since it give us specific place names and specific rulers that we can use.
Have you considered Jadeland from CM7? It's just a cavern with a huge troll in it, but "the land beyond the cavern corresponds to the Alfheim forest of the original party's world. Most of that land is contaminated by clusters of green slime." Maybe not appropriate for the faerie world, especially so close to the Dreamlands.
I see the Feywood as a kind of Elemental Plane, although instead of an element, everything here is illusion. Illusion magic is extremely powerful in the Feywood as illusions cannot be disbelieved.
The Shadow World in the Birthright setting is similar.

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:33 pm

I really like thinking of the plane Mystara fairy's inhabit similar to that described in _Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell_. If more names, places and ideas are sought, the book is a good source for inspiration. Names like Pity-me, Seven, Untold Blessings, City of Iron Angels, etc.

https://hurtfew.wikispaces.com/List+of+places

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 pm

though i like the green aspect of the map(nice map btw as again :P :lol: ), does this suggest it is all forest? as far as i know it is all nature which also includes lakes, grass, mountains etc.
I also heard somewhere heights are opposed as to the Real World. Thus mountains become depths, and seeas mountains, hills, etc
This is not canon, but does explain less large waterbodies in the fairy realm, but more widespread.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Sturm wrote:Great map, as the previous ones!

Thanks Sturm! We are getting close to the end of this run now I guess :)
ripvanwormer wrote:Awesome map, Havard!
Havard wrote:1) Berlota's Realm and Caer Ambryel are locations from M3. The realm described in that module is called the Green Realm. It is specifically said to be a Pocket Dimension (although that term does not exist in the BECMI cosmology, so it could mean anything).
The DM's Guide in the Immortal Set (page 2) says that any plane other than the Astral, Ethereal, or Prime is a "pocket universe." M3 also uses the term pocket universe (page 2) as well as pocket dimension.
Thanks Rip! I am glad you like the map. I guess M3 is consistent with the Gold Box afterall! :)

Anyway, I really like having Caer Ambryel and Berlota's Realm be part of the Feywood since it gives us more characters and political factions to deal with. The main populations are listed as elves in those realms, but I am thinking they could be replaced with Sidhe. Of course there is nothing preventing elves to live on this Plane.
ripvanwormer wrote:Have you considered Jadeland from CM7? It's just a cavern with a huge troll in it, but "the land beyond the cavern corresponds to the Alfheim forest of the original party's world. Most of that land is contaminated by clusters of green slime." Maybe not appropriate for the faerie world, especially so close to the Dreamlands.
Hmmm...that is worth thinking about. I will have to read up on CM7. The cavern is no problem at all. I like how 4E specified that both the Shadowfell and the Feywild had their own versions of the Underdark. I think Mystara's planes should also have underground complexes. In the case of the Feywood, probably this is where the *real* Anwn would be located.

The whole of the "Alfheim region" being covered in green slime would be a problem. Does it have to be the whole realm though? Or could it be limited to say an 8 mile hex area? Does the module go into where this slime came from? more of Moorkroft's tricks?
ripvanwormer wrote:The Shadow World in the Birthright setting is similar.
Interesting. That is another thing I will have to read up on. It could also be useful for my next map...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:42 pm

religon wrote:I really like thinking of the plane Mystara fairy's inhabit similar to that described in _Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell_. If more names, places and ideas are sought, the book is a good source for inspiration. Names like Pity-me, Seven, Untold Blessings, City of Iron Angels, etc.

https://hurtfew.wikispaces.com/List+of+places
Interesting! I have not read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell or watched the TV seires. Maybe this is something I should investigate further?

My inspiration for Fairy Lore so far is folklore, Shakespeare and various graphic novels by Neil Gaiman (The Sandman + Books of Magic mostly).
Robin wrote:though i like the green aspect of the map(nice map btw as again :P :lol: ), does this suggest it is all forest? as far as i know it is all nature which also includes lakes, grass, mountains etc.
I also heard somewhere heights are opposed as to the Real World. Thus mountains become depths, and seeas mountains, hills, etc
This is not canon, but does explain less large waterbodies in the fairy realm, but more widespread.
Thanks Robin! The lack of rivers, lakes mountains etc is solely due to laziness on my part. Assume that the Feywood has all kinds of landscapes with the following modifications:
1) Woodlands will be more prevalent.
2) The Alasiyan Desert is a lush, green woodland.
3) Everything is generally either more beautiful, bright colors etc than Mystara, or dark and dramatic if close to some of the more sinister Fey such as Hags, Crones of Chaos etc.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”