Whispers of the Vampire's Blade advice (spoilers)

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Whispers of the Vampire's Blade advice (spoilers)

Postby Vaelorn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 pm

** Spoiler alert**

(Although I imagine most members of this forum have read and/or played this adventure!)

Hi

I'm thinking of running the "Forgotten Forge" series of adventures for my group. They know nothing about Eberron so this is really just for me, as I think the whole campaign is chock full of classic Eberron features! But, having read through all three parts it seems that WotVB is only indirectly connected to the others. Yes, the Emerald Claw are in it but there are no schema to find and no obvious connection that I can see.

Has anyone made any adjustments to this adventure to make it fit in more? Or have I missed something obvious?

Thanks!
Vaelorn
Goblin

Re: Whispers of the Vampire's Blade advice (spoilers)

Postby Beoric » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:12 pm

I haven't run it, but I did read it along with the others in the series. I remember my impression was that it had no connection to the others, but because of the wall-of-text issue I couldn't be sure, and I didn't like it enough to re-read it in sufficient detail to catch anything I missed. It does have encounters involving previous villains in the series - the Emerald Claw and the Lord of Blades, with one encounter for each - but I didn't sop anything that carries over to the next adventure in the series.

Looking at the Emerald Claw encounter I see it is a four-page railroad which appears to expect the GM to give the players the illusion of doing something, while preventing them from actually having any impact on the outcome. The real action occurs between the NPCs, which the GM narrates to the players. The villains escape, the airship crashes, and there's nothing the PCs can do about any of it. I think this is typical of the adventure, so if you dislike this sort of thing I am reasonably sure you can safely give this a miss and fill the space with something else.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Vaelorn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

I do see what you mean about the 'railroady' nature of it, although I suppose that applies to a lot of published adventures. On the other hand I've always though this adventure had loads of iconic Eberron goodness: a lightning rail attacked by warforged and Talenta halflings on dinosaurs, elemental airship battles, all that neat stuff!

I suppose I could keep some of the set piece encounters and have the party track another part of the schema: it's a chase, they don't have to be chasing a vampire with a magic sword...
Vaelorn
Goblin

Postby Beoric » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 pm

The real issue is that nothing you do, or fail to do, has any consequences. You have ongoing skirmishes with LoB warforged and EC agents throughout the series, but nothing about your interactions with them during WotVB has any impact on the final adventure in the series. It is impossible to catch the main villain until the Final Battle(tm). At one point, when the players are expected to be searching for him, he is literally in an undetectable room and has erased the memory of the only person who knew about it; the DM is instructed to interrupt the search when everyone gets bored or frustrated, which is inevitable since no search can possibly succeed. You can miss your airship AND the next one and still make it to the crash site on foot.

Given your interest in adjusting the module and Big Mac's comments in the "A Different Take on Dolurrh" thread, I am thinking of posting some notes for reworking it. I need to finish re-reading it first, though.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Vaelorn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Cool! I'd be very interested in your thoughts!
Vaelorn
Goblin

Return to Eberron