[WotC] Xanthar's Guide to Everything

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[WotC] Xanthar's Guide to Everything

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Xanthar's Guide to Everything
Explore a plethora of fantastic new rules options for both players and Dungeon Masters in this supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game

The Xanathar…
Waterdeep’s most infamous crime lord, and a beholder to boot…
You’d be shocked to discover just how much he knows about you…
Yes, you… adventurers.

Assembled here for the first time is new information on adventurers of every stripe. In addition, you’ll find and valuable advice for those of nefarious intent who must deal with such meddling do-gooders, including the Xanathar’s personal thoughts on how to dispatch anyone foolish enough to interfere with his business dealings. Alongside observations on "heroes" themselves, the beholder fills the pages of this tome with his personal thoughts on tricks, traps, and even treasures and how they can be put to villainous use.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but evil is in its heart!

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook®, Monster Manual®, and Dungeon Master’s Guide®.
• Complete rules for more than twenty new subclasses for fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons®, including the cavalier, the inquisitive, the horizon walker, and many more.
• Dozens of new feats and spells, and a system to give your character a unique, randomized back story
• A variety of systems and tools that provide Dungeon Masters new ways to personalize their home games, while also expanding the ways players can engage in organized play and shared world campaigns.
• Fans of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® can get a sample of what this book has in store for them by visiting their local hobby retailer and participating in the D&D Adventurers LeagueTM organized play program.
• Design and development by the Wizards tabletop RPG team.

The leader in providing contemporary fantasy entertainment, Dungeons & Dragons is the wellspring for the entire modern game industry, digital as well as analog. This newest edition draws from every prior edition to create a universally compelling play experience, and exemplifies the true spirit of a game that holds captive the hearts and minds of millions of players worldwide.

According to Amazon, this book comes out on November 21st, 2017.

This looks like more of a rules oriented book than I first assumed just based on the title. Do we really need twenty+ new subclasses?

What do you guys think about a book like this?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [WotC] Xanthar's Guide to Everything

Postby CommanderCrud » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Yes it's basically a PHB 2 and DMG 2. Mostly stuff they've been playtesting through their Unearthed Arcana articles.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby willpell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 pm

That pun in the blurb makes me cringe, but otherwise I'm very happy about this pitch. Yes, we really do need all those subclasses, and I'm particularly excited by the mention of Horizon Walker, which will probably be a Ranger subclass, and they need it badly.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby enderxenocide0 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 pm

willpell wrote:I'm particularly excited by the mention of Horizon Walker, which will probably be a Ranger subclass

It was, indeed, a Ranger subclass in the UA playtests.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby zontoxira » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 pm

I don't know, while this kind of extra stuff is always welcome, it often boils down to people asking for more. I'd hate to see book after book with subclasses and feats/spells in this edition; 3e already did that. Perhaps some rules governing tools, crafting, more weapons and armour, and downtime activities would be much preferred.
Good thing is, it's title doesn't include any digits in any form, so that's a relief.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Postby Morfie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 am

Typo in the blurb.

In addition, you’ll find and valuable advice
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby enderxenocide0 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am

zontoxira wrote:Perhaps some rules governing tools, crafting, more weapons and armour, and downtime activities would be much preferred.
The crafting and downtime rules from the UA article are included.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Thorf » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Sounds great to me. The subclasses as presented in the Player's Handbook seem inherently modular and expandable — to the point that for example the clerical domain options only include a limited subset of existing domains. This is irritating for both players and DMs. More variety and choice would be very welcome here.

I'm all in favour of modular rules extensions, as long as they are kept to a reasonable amount, and you can pick and choose what you want. Since this is the first new rule book since the game was released, we can safely say that they are avoiding the rules explosion that made Third Edition so hard to deal with at times.

In short: more choice is good — and it's even better if it all comes in a single volume.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Do we know how much Waterdeep-specific information will be there?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [WotC] Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Postby timemrick » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:50 pm

(Typo in your title, Havard.)

If this gives the final official versions of most of the UA content so far, that's probably enough for me to buy it.

Re: Thorf's irritation with the shortage of cleric domains: UA hasn't offered many new ones. However, Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous (out this summer) will have a ton of new content for clerics and other religiously inclined characters--including pretty much all the missing domains from the core 3e rules.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby zontoxira » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:54 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:The crafting and downtime rules from the UA article are included.
That's good news :D

Thorf wrote:I'm all in favour of modular rules extensions, as long as they are kept to a reasonable amount, and you can pick and choose what you want. Since this is the first new rule book since the game was released, we can safely say that they are avoiding the rules explosion that made Third Edition so hard to deal with at times.
I couldn't agree more with that.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Re: [WotC] Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Postby willpell » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:17 pm

timemrick wrote:Re: Thorf's irritation with the shortage of cleric domains: UA hasn't offered many new ones. However, Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous (out this summer) will have a ton of new content for clerics and other religiously inclined characters--including pretty much all the missing domains from the core 3e rules.

I figure that the new edition's domains are conglomerations of previous ones - "Nature" instead of separate "Animal" and "Plant", for instance, and "Light" in place of "Sun" and "Fire". It would be weird if they now made those "replaced" domains. A few are probably worth having tho.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:46 pm

I.... I don't know how to feel about this, which is probably safe to say that I am cautious about any splat offering yet more class choices. I might be optimistic after I review this particular book, but the handful of UA classes that I have approved for my campaign already is more than quite enough for me & my players.

More spells are welcome, even if they are cleaned up versions of ones I have already added to my campaign from existing UA articles, feats - not so much, but again - I will remain cautious as to the inclusion of anything new.

My campaign is decidedly not modern, much to most of my players' pleasant surprise. They like the old school sandbox & "traditional literature" based campaign setting. No Skyrim BS to be found here, and I'd like rulebooks (and splats, I begrudgingly guess...) that reflect my campaign setting style. Volo's Guide to Monsters, btw - is an excellent sourcebook, and nothing splat about that at all! :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby willpell » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:57 pm

I do think future generations will look back on this as another weird point in D&D's history, that they put out a book that was basically PHB2, but felt the need to write it "in character" and give it a name like this, instead of it just being obvious as a rule book.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

willpell wrote:I do think future generations will look back on this as another weird point in D&D's history, that they put out a book that was basically PHB2, but felt the need to write it "in character" and give it a name like this, instead of it just being obvious as a rule book.

I'm with you on that. It's 99% mechanics. I neither need nor want to have all those mechanics couched in Forgotten Realms-specific lore and fluff.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Coronoides » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm very wary of extra subclasses. However, the last few days I've been trying to recreate old 2e kits using the current canon 5e (no UA) and found it rather difficult to get good thematic matches. Three big problem areas were Bards (for jesters, jongleurs, and gnome buffon kits), druids, and clerics. There are a number of old 2e nature priest type kits that don't have shapeshifting and don't match up well with the Nature domain (Elf Herbalist, Gnome Rock tender and gnome tree tender for example).
If the play testing through the UA program was effective then this might be good.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:39 pm

So SCAG's subclasses will be included in this book. Too bad for those of us who already own SCAG?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Havard wrote:So SCAG's subclasses will be included in this book. Too bad for those of us who already own SCAG?

That page says that four will be included. I checked your classes/subclasses thread, and that's only about a third of SCAG's new subclasses.

I actually wish that Xanathar's Guide was reprinting more of them. I haven't bought SCAG because I really just want those few bits of crunch, not the setting fluff that fills most of the book.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Blackleaf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:
willpell wrote:I do think future generations will look back on this as another weird point in D&D's history, that they put out a book that was basically PHB2, but felt the need to write it "in character" and give it a name like this, instead of it just being obvious as a rule book.

I'm with you on that. It's 99% mechanics. I neither need nor want to have all those mechanics couched in Forgotten Realms-specific lore and fluff.

You're worrying about nothing. It is just a light frame like in Volo's Guide where it was fine.

I have looked over most of the UA stuff which is where this has been getting playtested and feedbsck and most of it is pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of too much splat but they seem to be tring to prevent any powercreep or rules bloat.
Blackleaf
Hobgoblin

Return to D&D 5th Edition